Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 03:13 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Forum question: Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Why wouldn't a simple " YES " or " NO " be sufficient
Old 11-05-2015, 05:32 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hugger-4641
I won't be registering any of my craft, and I'll fly any of them on my property at any time that I damn well feel like. Flying field is another issue. I don't have a problem registering a plane that I will be taking to a public field and flying over/around the general public. What I do on private property is no concern of the FAA or any one else for that matter.
The ground ma be yours but according to the FAA they Believes all the air above it theirs.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:45 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by ira d
I don't see where registration will do much to stop irresponsible flyers but what might work is to require that those that fly at places other than a designated RC site to have permits especially if you want to fly close to a airport or other sensitive locations and to get the permit you would have to attend a safe flying class. If you are caught flying in a unsafe manner you loose your permit if caught again you go to jail. I think the FAA should issue a map that would clearly show all areas in the U.S. that would require a permit to operate a RC craft.
They will/have, they are called Sectional maps. They show all Controlled airspace and every extinction for Instrument approaches. They also tell U where the bottom of the Class B,C,D,& E airspace starts & Stops. It's going to be that U don't fly any R/C within 5 sm of any class C and grater air space and never over 400' agl anywhere ever. At least that's the scuttlebutt so far. Time will tell. They've been at this seance before 2008, So They have never made a dead line yet so Who knows. Just have to wait and see.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:48 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Are you going to be a professional about it and contact the AMA to find out why you didn't receive the email or are you just going to repeatedly beat a dead horse here like a few others?
Well, I have two requests already cued in the "Contact AMA" feature of the website, that have been there for almost two months now, and not a word. Why would this be any different? I've tried direct email on a couple broken links...sent them to the head of group overseeing the website, and .... wait for it .... they still don't work. I sent that one a month ago.

At some point people just stop trying...
Old 11-05-2015, 10:35 PM
Bullseye52
My Feedback: (15)

I'll be selling all my RC stuff and taking up trafficking illegal aliens across our southern borders, I can make money with that one and don't have to worry about the FAA or DOT. Let em try to register all those people, haven't had much luck with that one yet either! Have you heard about the investigation into the murder of "Juan Gonzalez"? He was killed with a "Golf Gun"! Not sure what that is but it sure made a "Hole in Juan".

Happy Flying!
Bullseye52
Old 11-05-2015, 10:55 PM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything over 9 ounces!!

ByJACK NICAS
Nov. 6, 2015 12:36 a.m. ET0 COMMENTS

A federally convened task force plans to urge U.S. officials to cast a wide net in registering recreational drones but to make registration simple and free, according to three people familiar with the matter.
After three days of meetings, the task force on Thursday agreed to recommend registration for recreational drones weighing more than 250 grams, or roughly nine ounces, according to two task-force members and a third person close to the group. That would include almost all consumer devices other than toys.
The group also plans to recommend that users register by entering their name and address into a government-sanctioned website or mobile app, the people said. Registration would be free. Users would have to attach a registration number to the drone so that it is legible.
“You can put it in indelible ink, you can bedazzle it,” one of the people said. “It just needs to be legible so (authorities) are able to read it.”
The Federal Aviation Administration convened nearly 30 government, industry and consumer representatives to recommend rules for registering recreational drones before Christmas. U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx proposed the regulations last month, saying they needed to be adopted quickly because drones are endangering manned aircraft. He gave the task force until Nov. 20 to deliver recommendations.
Drones have soared in popularity in recent years as technology advances have made them cheaper, smaller and easier to fly. Regulators struggled to keep up as hundreds of thousands of the devices took to U.S. skies.
The FAA is expected to closely follow the group’s recommendations, in part because of the expedited timeline for the rules and because the task force reached a nearly unanimous consensus, the people familiar with the matter said.
They described the recommendations as a compromise. Drone makers and users wanted a higher weight threshold for requiring registration. But users won’t have to follow the FAA’s more-cumbersome registration process for manned aircraft, which requires visiting an FAA office and can take as long as three months.
“What we achieved can be characterized as a package deal,” said a second person familiar with the matter. “No one got everything they wanted; you could say everyone is a little unhappy.”
The task force didn’t recommend new penalties for violating the registration rules, the people familiar with the matter said. Users who operate unregistered drones would be subject to existing federal penalties, which include civil or criminal fines and up to three years in prison.
One person said the group could propose lesser penalties before the recommendations are due, but that was unlikely.
The task force is co-chaired by Earl Lawrence, a top FAA drone official, and Dave Vos, head of the drone-delivery project at Google parent Alphabet Inc. Other members include representatives from the largest airline-pilots union, an association of airport executives, consumer-drone makers such as SZ DJI Technology Co., and companies that want to use drones in their businesses, such asAmazon.com Inc. and Wal-Mart Stores Inc.
Write to Jack Nicas at [email protected]

Last edited by Silent-AV8R; 11-06-2015 at 08:47 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-06-2015, 03:30 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Hmm....no fixed wing, and no fee. So far, no huge change to the hobby or the majority of the membership. Gosh I know the end the hobby as we know it is just around the corner, but so far.....not so much.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:17 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Hmm....no fixed wing, and no fee. So far, no huge change to the hobby or the majority of the membership. Gosh I know the end the hobby as we know it is just around the corner, but so far.....not so much.
Hi porcia83 ,

I read the paragraph , twice , looking for mention of "fixed wing" and couldn't find where the article specifically states that fixed wing will be exempt ?

Is it their use of the word drone that implies multirotor craft only will be subject to this new regulation ?

If so , then that fits with the public's definition much more so than the definition put fourth here by some of our members who contend that ALL unmanned flying devices are drones . The "fly in the ointment" of course being that a fixed wing with cameras on a paid photography mission would most certainly fit the definition of what a drone really is .
Old 11-06-2015, 04:23 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Everything over 9 onuces!!

[/FONT][/COLOR]
Well, everything we fly outdoors today must have your AMA number on it regardless of weight.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:46 AM
rcmiket

How did you come up with that? I read nothing defining just what was to be registered other than "drones" over 250 grams.

Mike
Old 11-06-2015, 04:47 AM
rcmiket

Well, everything we fly outdoors today must have your AMA number on it regardless of weight.
It can be in it.

(f) Ensure the aircraft is identified with the name and address or AMA number of the owner on the inside or affixed to the outside of the model aircraft. (This does not apply to model aircraft flown indoors.)

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 11-06-2015 at 05:15 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:48 AM
franklin_m

So far, no huge change to the hobby or the majority of the membership. Gosh I know the end the hobby as we know it is just around the corner, but so far.....not so much.
As many have said, registration won't solve the problem. So what happens to the hobby if this doesn't work? Perhaps this is just a step in the process from FAA / legislators' point of view.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:54 AM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you buy a set of FRS radios from the store, inside the package are instructions on how to apply and get an FCC license so you can legally operate your radios. Just how many people do you think really comply with that requirement? Especially considering there is a fee associated with that license? Do you really think Johnny Applecheeks or his parents are going to bother registering Johnny's new Christmas present, especially if there is more money involved, considering it may not even make it a month after the holiday? Sorry, but I can't see this going anywhere but downhill...
Old 11-06-2015, 05:12 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by a65l
If you buy a set of FRS radios from the store, inside the package are instructions on how to apply and get an FCC license so you can legally operate your radios. Just how many people do you think really comply with that requirement? Especially considering there is a fee associated with that license? Do you really think Johnny Applecheeks or his parents are going to bother registering Johnny's new Christmas present, especially if there is more money involved, considering it may not even make it a month after the holiday? Sorry, but I can't see this going anywhere but downhill...
FRS does not require a license.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:17 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

"That would include almost all consumer devices other than toys"

I hope my fleet falls in the, "toy" category!!!!

Regards,

Astro
Old 11-06-2015, 05:21 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I can be in it.

Mike
No, you can't.

"GENERAL: A model aircraft is a non-human-carrying aircraft capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere"
Old 11-06-2015, 05:21 AM
astrohog

WHY is it so difficult for people to realize that fixed-wing craft can just as easily be a drone as a MR??

If I have to register (even if it is free), it is the end of the hobby as I have known it.

Astro
Old 11-06-2015, 05:24 AM
rcmiket

No, you can't.

"GENERAL: A model aircraft is a non-human-carrying aircraft capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere"
(f) Ensure the aircraft is identified with the name and address or AMA number of the owner on the inside or affixed to the outside of the model aircraft. (This does not apply to model aircraft flown indoors.)

Really?

Mike
Old 11-06-2015, 05:27 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Everything over 9 onuces!!
From a requirement implementation point of view, maybe they should just make it everything flown outdoors. If they set a specific weight, you very well how many of these threads we're going to have analyzing what constitutes 9oz? Is that dry weight AUW, with or w/o the battery, etc., etc., etc. Damn, just make it everything and be done with it.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:28 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket

Really?

Mike
You typed it.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:30 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by astrohog

If I have to register (even if it is free), it is the end of the hobby as I have known it.

Astro
Your life will be forever changed. Better sell everything now before everyone else catches on. Registration will cause folks to leave the hobby in droves. It's time to get out now!
Old 11-06-2015, 06:17 AM
astrohog

Your life will be forever changed. Better sell everything now before everyone else catches on. Registration will cause folks to leave the hobby in droves. It's time to get out now!
NOT what I said.

READ the words and take it for what it is....fact. Are you delusional because you are constantly on spin-cycle?

Astro
Old 11-06-2015, 06:45 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by astrohog
NOT what I said.

READ the words and take it for what it is....fact. Are you delusional because you are constantly on spin-cycle?

Astro
Please try and learn how the forums work and then re-read my post. I said what "I" said.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:57 AM
Silent-AV8R

I must have missed the part about not applying to fixed wing aircraft. Where did you see that??
Old 11-06-2015, 08:00 AM
Silent-AV8R

True, however, what is not clear here is if that will remain as an acceptable alternative. And to be accurate the AMA requires that

(f) Ensure the aircraft is identified with the name and address or AMA number of the owner on the inside or affixed to the outside of the model aircraft. (Thisdoes not apply to model aircraft flown indoors.)

Last edited by Silent-AV8R; 11-06-2015 at 08:48 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.