Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 08:37 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
And to be accurate the AMA requires that
I didn't state otherwise. By "we" I implied current AMA members.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:40 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok, so I saw the press conference video about all drones needing to be registered. So are all model aircraft now considered a drone? The word is being used to define everything flown now by a hobbyist? I see how they are just trying to get the registration process in place first of all, but I think they need to start by defining terms. I do not fly a drone.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:49 AM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
I didn't state otherwise. By "we" I implied current AMA members.
I was making the clarification that the AMA allows the use of your AMA number OR your name and address address and that they also allow you to place that information either on the outside of the model or inside it.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:51 AM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Ok, so I saw the press conference video about all drones needing to be registered. So are all model aircraft now considered a drone?
Yes, model airplanes are considered small unmanned aircraft (sUAS), what many people call a "drone".
Old 11-06-2015, 08:59 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I was making the clarification that the AMA allows the use of your AMA number OR your name and address address and that they also allow you to place that information either on the outside of the model or inside it.
Thanks for clarifying. Although, I do appreciate that the AMA allows us to put that information on the inside or outside of our models I think it would be easier to identify violators if it was required to be on the outside, but I realize the scale folks wouldn't be too happy with that.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:04 AM
rcmiket

I would imagine it was perfectly clear to everyone........................................ Well almost everyone.

Mike
Old 11-06-2015, 09:21 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I would imagine it was perfectly clear to everyone........................................ Well almost everyone.

Mike
Of course, you imagine lots of new things every day here.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:28 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Didn't we (the AMA) spend some big bucks to prevent this?

Mike
If the the jack arsses would not have invited them in to the AMA then they would not have to defend anyone . Its bringing unwanted attention to our nice peacful hobby of flying regular rc AIRCRAFT . Before i get any grief from you guys who are buying these things , go start your own non for profit org and police your own flyers . joe

Last edited by joebahl; 11-06-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:57 AM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by joebahl
If the the jack arsses would not have invited them in to the AMA then they would not have to defend anyone . Its bringing unwanted attention to our nice peacful hobby of flying regular rc AIRCRAFT . Before i get any grief from you guys who are buying these things , go start your own non for profit org and police your own flyers . joe
Yep. I think it will happen, that is the part about a separate organization for drones. For me, and surely I'm not alone in this, AMA membership dues are the price of admission to a flying site, period. For drone operators there is no shortage of flying sites.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:59 AM
joebahl

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Yep. I think it will happen, that is the part about a separate organization for drones. For me, and surely I'm not alone in this, AMA membership dues are the price of admission to a flying site, period. For drone operators there is no shortage of flying sites.
Seems like they enjoy flying them at full size aitcraft airports . lmao joe
Old 11-06-2015, 11:32 AM
N410DC

Originally Posted by a65l
If you buy a set of FRS radios from the store, inside the package are instructions on how to apply and get an FCC license so you can legally operate your radios. Just how many people do you think really comply with that requirement? Especially considering there is a fee associated with that license? Do you really think Johnny Applecheeks or his parents are going to bother registering Johnny's new Christmas present, especially if there is more money involved, considering it may not even make it a month after the holiday? Sorry, but I can't see this going anywhere but downhill...
FRS does not require a license.
I think a65l was thinking about the General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) frequencies, which do require a license. It's easy to confuse GMRS with FRS, since some frequencies are shared between FRS and GMRS. Furthermore, some radios can transmit/receive on both GMRS and FRS frequencies.

The point is nonetheless well taken; I am sure many people who buy GMRS radios do not bother to get the required FCC license. Many of the frequencies that are programmed into Baofeng handheld radios cannot legally be used in the US, even with a Amaturer or GMRS radio license from the FCC. People use these frequencies anyway. The same will go for drones; many people will buy them, decide not to register them, and knowingly operate them illegally.

Last edited by N410DC; 11-06-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:31 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by N410DC
The same will go for drones; many people will buy them, decide not to register them, and knowingly operate them illegally.
I'm sure the task force is taking this into consideration. The flip side is that getting caught w/o registration makes for some easy federal charges with potentially stiff penalties.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:21 PM
mike1974

I'm sure the task force is taking this into consideration. The flip side is that getting caught w/o registration makes for some easy federal charges with potentially stiff penalties.
I don't disagree, but how could you ever realistically enforce something like that unless there is an actual incident? If there is an actual incident I was of the understanding that there are already laws in place that would cover that.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:28 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True, however, what is not clear here is if that will remain as an acceptable alternative. And to be accurate the AMA requires that
I don't see the government allowing AMA to run a separate but equal registration system. Administratively one order of magnitude more difficult to enforce - issues of duplication, where does law enforcement turn to track down a number, etc. I

f they're registering for the purposes of protecting safety in NAS, then that's an inherently governmental function. We'll have to wait and see, but I predict one registration system, run by the FAA, with numbers required on exterior.

Again, time will tell.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:47 PM
mike1974

Maybe i'm just stupid, which is very possible, but what is the point to any of this? I can pretty much guarantee the dude who takes out a plane or damages people or property is not going to be registered. If you are a person who would actually register your aircraft/s, I highly doubt you are going to fly in any kind of a dangerous fashion.

I guess I just see this like gun laws. Make as many laws as you want; it won't help. Only the people who are already following the law will be affected.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:05 PM
vertical grimmace

Not to mention, this has nothing to do with safety. If the typical R/C, line of sight model collides with another SUas drone whatever, who gets hurt? There is nobody inside the aircraft. I bet this has more to do with protecting business/government interests than it does about safety.

IMO this whole thing is a bunch of BS. We can thank the irresponsible quad/drone fliers for this for sure. Time for us all to move up to Control line!
Old 11-06-2015, 02:12 PM
mike1974

Not to mention, this has nothing to do with safety. If the typical R/C, line of sight model collides with another SUas drone whatever, who gets hurt? There is nobody inside the aircraft. I bet this has more to do with protecting business/government interests than it does about safety.

IMO this whole thing is a bunch of BS. We can thank the irresponsible quad/drone fliers for this for sure. Time for us all to move up to Control line!
IMO this is far more likely the reason. It certainly makes much more sense.

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys consider irresponsible FPV flight? Forget the laws/regulations; I want to know what irresponsible is to you in your own mind.

Hey Vertical, my sister is an E-6 USAF stationed at Cheyenne Mountain I believe.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:15 PM
predman
My Feedback: (7)

I keep hearing about drones etc, these new laws should regulate those as they are the culprits. I don't hear in the news of an airplane or Rc warbird filming or falling in a crowded stadium. Do any of these clowns who were dumb enough to put someone in danger with a drone or quadcopter have AMA? I bet none do, as most ama certified fliers know better than to do something as irresponsible and dangerous as that. There a video floating around of a quad with Roman candles on it firing at guys running around. As a AMA and club member I know that is illegal and I would not dare do something that dumb. Just goes to show you that most who buy these have no regard to Rc safety and do and donts.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:22 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by mike1974
Maybe i'm just stupid, which is very possible, but what is the point to any of this? I can pretty much guarantee the dude who takes out a plane or damages people or property is not going to be registered. If you are a person who would actually register your aircraft/s, I highly doubt you are going to fly in any kind of a dangerous fashion.
I think you hit on a key point and a key risk.

Contrary to what some contend, I'm of the belief that flying in the NAS is a privilege rather than a right. I suppose that will ultimately tested in the courts, so we'll see if I'm right.

If the registration doesn't solve the problem, and if indeed the courts rule that it's a privilege, then FAA will have demonstrated to Congress and others that lesser measures (registration) has not worked, and thus the only options left are more draconian. Hobby fliers, while large in number, are I suspect bit players when it comes to the growing list of multi-billion dollar companies working the commercial applications. For them, avoiding full scale is a condition of existence, but us pesky "hobby" guys flying all over the place are a big operational variable.

As for what's right, perhaps the registration issue will drive down the holiday sales a bit and perhaps even encourage most folks to comply with the rules. But there's many here in these forums that, despite knowing the threat to the hobby, have stated their intent to not comply with Federal regulations. In doing so, I see that as "handing the FAA a stick to beat us with."
Old 11-06-2015, 02:23 PM
joebahl

I think its about a drone getting sucked in a passenger planes jet engine and bringing it down with all the passengers still on board . If that ever happened then i would dig out my control line planes and why ? Because the AMA linked us to them in the FAA minds ,WHY because the AMA thought this new flying tables were going make them more $ instead of loosing more $ like it will more than likely now. joe
Old 11-06-2015, 02:51 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
As many have said, registration won't solve the problem. So what happens to the hobby if this doesn't work? Perhaps this is just a step in the process from FAA / legislators' point of view.
Yes, I'm one of the many that said it won't be proactive in stopping a problem. But leave it to you to come up with a question wondering what might happen to the hobby if even this step fails. LoL. The good 'ol "WHAT IF".

This isn't being done to save the hobby. I cannot operate with the level of doom, negativity, and cynicism that I see here. Just not possible. I'm going to keep flying, keep being safe, keep supporting the AMA as I see fit, and keep having fun. Nothing I have seen or hear or read indicates any significant change to the hobby. Just my opinion.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:54 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by predman
I keep hearing about drones etc, these new laws should regulate those as they are the culprits. I don't hear in the news of an airplane or Rc warbird filming or falling in a crowded stadium. Do any of these clowns who were dumb enough to put someone in danger with a drone or quadcopter have AMA? I bet none do, as most ama certified fliers know better than to do something as irresponsible and dangerous as that. There a video floating around of a quad with Roman candles on it firing at guys running around. As a AMA and club member I know that is illegal and I would not dare do something that dumb. Just goes to show you that most who buy these have no regard to Rc safety and do and donts.
Besides writing a check, how does one become an AMA certified flier?
Old 11-06-2015, 02:55 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by mike1974
IMO this is far more likely the reason. It certainly makes much more sense.

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys consider irresponsible FPV flight? Forget the laws/regulations; I want to know what irresponsible is to you in your own mind.

Hey Vertical, my sister is an E-6 USAF stationed at Cheyenne Mountain I believe.
My opinion on irresponsible FPV flying is not following the rules as laid out by the AMA. I think they have this right. Just like we are responsible if we fly outside of the AMA general safety code. Same as for free flight, Control line, and R/C.

Why was it so difficult for anyone to predict this outcome? I agree embracing the FPV crowd was a mistake by the AMA. To me the whole FPV aspect of the hobby is a different ad a slot car club, or model rockets. They all are very different special interests, that do not belong together. We will all look back at this as a mistake I believe.

M74, The air force academy is down there as well. Pretty good flying club down in the springs. They have a great warbird meet every summer in June.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:57 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Besides writing a check, how does one become an AMA certified flier?
Write 2 checks..............................

Mike
Old 11-06-2015, 02:57 PM
mike1974

One of my biggest hang ups in all of this is believing there are Quads flying around airports that ACTUALLY pose a risk in any kind of numbers. For the record my only quad is a 250 racing quad; so all low altitude. I've already stated how I fly my FPV glider.

How many actual, 100% verifiable, documented proof sightings have there been? The reason I ask, is that this whole issue seems like a media generated hysteria about nothing. Media/gov't propaganda in my opinion. It's just so hard to believe that on a regular basis there are people out there flying there quads close to any full scale craft. I've read that people are flying them on approach paths to major airports. Maybe a rare dumbass.

Do you guys know a single person who would think flying anywhere near air traffic or an airport would be a good idea? On top of that how many people want to take their 500-1000$ quad and get it disintegrated and possibly down a full scale aircraft?

Sorry for ranting, just trying to put some thought out there as they com to me. I just see a lot to do about nothing. Please don't take this to mean I think this is trivial, safety is not trivial, I just think the situation overall as a whole is being blown WAY out of proportion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.