Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 06:55 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Were located on private property, We still have that in Texas. I was visiting with a couple of local law enforcement friends this morning they thought it was comical how some feel they have the time and manpower to be the "drone" response force.

Mike
Were they both with the same department? Is their department looking into using drones for their work? I few in CT have already purchased them, as well as fire departments. None of moved forward with deploying them pending this recent decision. Actually one city close by spent over 10k on a system to track flood plains and dykes by the river, they are struggling to find anyone who can fly the thing. Nobody wants to touch it given the price tag on it.

Last edited by porcia83; 12-15-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:56 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who knows, but it won't be me. Registration is up to the individual.

Mike.
Could be a potential liability for a club, as it demonstrates an inability to follow the law.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:58 PM
FokkerD7
My Feedback: (5)

HoundDog i seen that on military.com news letter.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:00 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Could be a potential liability for a club, as it demonstrates an inability to follow the law.
Good point, thanks for the useful information as always. Rather than wonder about it, I've decided to get out ahead of the issue and ask my VP about it. Keep in mind it's about 2 days post announcement, so I don't think he'll have all the answers, but I still felt it was good to ask. Better safe than sorry!
Old 12-15-2015, 07:04 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
Were they both with the same department? Is their department looking into using drones for their work? I few in CT have already purchased them, as well as fire departments. None of moved forward with deploying them pending this recent decision. Actually one city close by spent over 10k on a system to track flood plains and dykes by the river, they are struggling to find anyone who can fly the thing. Nobody wants to touch it given the price tag on it.
No they were not with the same department. None of the local law enforcement use "drones" here to the best of my knowledge. We've talked about the use of them but cost for the proper equipment is a huge factor, now the Border patrol here has access to real drones for border security.

Mike.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:07 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Might want to tell that to the AMA so they quit telling people not to worry about it.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:07 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
The FAA says that the owner not pilot must register and he must list all aircraft. This is not registering pilots.
show the URL to support your Hypothesis ... I've never seen list planes just the owner/pilots number must be in or on the plane when flown out doors in the NAS so that is registering the PILOT/OWNER to me. but then U always know more than any one else that posts here. Sorry now I probably Pissed ya off sorry.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:09 PM
porcia83
Banned

No they were not with the same department. None of the local law enforcement use "drones" here to the best of my knowledge. We've talked about the use of them but cost for the proper equipment is a huge factor, now the Border patrol here has access to real drones for border security.

Mike.
ya..their toys are much better than a few Phantoms for sure.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:10 PM
rcmiket

Why? There's no mandate. There's nothing on the books indicating the clubs responsible to enforce this. Not to mention we have NEVER seen LAW Enforcement at our location and don't expect them any time soon. After my discussions with them this morning they assured me that they actually have better things to do..

Mike
Old 12-15-2015, 07:10 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Might want to tell that to the AMA so they quit telling people not to worry about it.
so far you're the only one saying that's what the AMA is saying......haven't seen anything from them that indicates this.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:12 PM
porcia83
Banned

Why? There's no mandate. There's nothing on the books indicating the clubs responsible to enforce this. Not to mention we have NEVER seen LAW Enforcement at our location and don't expect them any time soon. After my discussions with them this morning they assured me that they actually have better things to do..

Mike
I don't think local LE has been tasked with, nor will they actively seek out rouges...but if they get complaint calls about them they will have to respond, or if they spot a situation themselves they should be able to. They should already have laws on the books to deal with issues on a case by case basis.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:24 PM
HoundDog

Mike
There's nothing on the books indicating the clubs responsible to enforce this. Not YET.

I fly with an ex sheriffs Lieutenant and a present Sheriffs Deputy and they Pretty much say the same thing as U. Ain't got time to Police a bunch of O'L gezzers Playing with TOY airplanes.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:32 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by porcia83
I don't think local LE has been tasked with, nor will they actively seek out rouges...but if they get complaint calls about them they will have to respond, or if they spot a situation themselves they should be able to. They should already have laws on the books to deal with issues on a case by case basis.
U R correct. .but if they get complaint calls about them they will have to respond,
When is the Last one of your flying field neighbors have filed a complaint with local Law enforcement? Unless U have a neighvor U have pissed off I wouldn't worry much ... but the registration and placing of your number on/in all your air craft is such a simple thing why take any chances.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:35 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Has it been stated or posted somewhere how the FAA is going to enforce this? Who is going to be checking my plane on Sunday afternoons at the flying field?
No one is going to be checking model aircraft at the local flying field. That isn't how they work. The FAA waits for someone to come to their attention, usually by screwing up big time. They then make an example of that person....sort of like in the old days when they locked people up in the stocks in the center of town. If you're the guy flying in the traffic pattern of JFK then you might have something to worry about.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:39 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
U R correct. .but if they get complaint calls about them they will have to respond,
When is the Last one of your flying field neighbors have filed a complaint with local Law enforcement? Unless U have a neighvor U have pissed off I wouldn't worry much ... but the registration and placing of your number on/in all your air craft is such a simple thing why take any chances.
LoL....depends were you live and fly. We got a visit this weekend from local LE because of a NOISE complaint...someone thought people were riding dirtbikes on our field. About 100 into and past our treeline there is a dirt bike track. needless to say they determined nothing was going on. You can bet if someone sees a drone and camera floating around their house they will call LE.

Oh, our field is behind a pretty well to do senior citizen complex...lets just say they are very very particular about a lot of things! We bend over backwards to make them happy...they sure do love our free hotdogs!
Old 12-15-2015, 07:55 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Has it been stated or posted somewhere how the FAA is going to enforce this? Who is going to be checking my plane on Sunday afternoons at the flying field?

Originally Posted by radfordc
No one is going to be checking model aircraft at the local flying field. That isn't how they work. The FAA waits for someone to come to their attention, usually by screwing up big time. They then make an example of that person....sort of like in the old days when they locked people up in the stocks in the center of town. If you're the guy flying in the traffic pattern of JFK then you might have something to worry about.
I take it U have never been RAMP CHECKED?
Old 12-15-2015, 08:01 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Mike
Don't need a mandate, it's called common sense. Of course there's nothing on the books, the FAA just announced this yesterday. My Magic 8 Ball says registration will be part of the AMA Safety Code. My Magic 8 Ball also says the AMA will also want to know your FAA registration number if you're an AMA member. We'll see who's Magic 8 Ball is more accurate, mine gave an answer for that too, but I'll keep that confidential.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:14 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree and if it turns out you have not registered you will be in even more trouble.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:56 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by ira d
I agree and if it turns out you have not registered you will be in even more trouble.I
Only If U crash. The FAA or Local Law Enforcements track record for catching the Hundreds of Quads sighted by aircraft or their pilots that haven't crashed is dismal at best. Chances of getting caught are slim to none.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:29 PM
Williamlucero1989

If you look at the faa website it states that all model aircraft flying in the national air space weighing between .55 lbs to 55lbs will have to be registered
Old 12-15-2015, 09:35 PM
thepamster

I am very surprised that many of you don't feel registration will be required at your club field or you won't have to show proof. I am sure many of you have been or are club officers and do you really believe that the land owner of your club's flying field will not insist on compliance by everyone who uses the property?
I have had to deal with city council and the parks and recreation department in the past when I was involved as an officer of a club and can assure you that this would have been a requirement for sure to continue using the property.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:43 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by thepamster
I am very surprised that many of you don't feel registration will be required at your club field or you won't have to show proof. I am sure many of you have been or are club officers and do you really believe that the land owner of your club's flying field will not insist on compliance by everyone who uses the property?
I have had to deal with city council and the parks and recreation department in the past when I was involved as an officer of a club and can assure you that this would have been a requirement for sure to continue using the property.
That's the way I see it. Our landlord has zero tolerance for those who think they know everything. We need him a lot more than he needs us.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:02 AM
rcmiket

Don't need a mandate, it's called common sense. Of course there's nothing on the books, the FAA just announced this yesterday. My Magic 8 Ball says registration will be part of the AMA Safety Code. My Magic 8 Ball also says the AMA will also want to know your FAA registration number if you're an AMA member. We'll see who's Magic 8 Ball is more accurate, mine gave an answer for that too, but I'll keep that confidential.
Lets not wait any longer. By the power invested in me by the "ridiculous rule " committee you are now promoted to head FAA registration number inspector. Your ticket book along with whistle are in the mail.

Go get em tiger.

Mike
Old 12-16-2015, 04:04 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by HoundDog

I fly with an ex sheriffs Lieutenant and a present Sheriffs Deputy and they Pretty much say the same thing as U. Ain't got time to Police a bunch of O'L gezzers Playing with TOY airplanes.
That sir is the bottom line here.

Mike
Old 12-16-2015, 05:09 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by handeman71
New law states "uav" that's all rc.
I think it includes control line and free flight as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.