Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 12:45 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porcia83
No...that is not correct.
From the ruling.

§ 48.115 Registration: Individuals intending to use small unmanned aircraft exclusively as a model aircraft.

(a)
Certificate of Aircraft Registration: A Certificate of Aircraft Registration issued in accordance with § 48.100 for small unmanned aircraft used exclusively as model aircraft constitutes registration for all small unmanned aircraft used exclusively as model aircraft owned by the individual identified on the application.

So you are registering the aircraft and as the owner not the pilot.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:47 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by TimJ
Sport Pilot, please read the facts. I've provided links and text. I want you armed with the facts. That way misinformation can be prevented.
A FAQ is not the facts. But I posted above that I was in error, so what's the beef now?
Old 12-15-2015, 12:49 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by thepamster
For those of us who don't consider ourselves ignorant could you please tell me where you saw that because I could not find that anywhere.
Please see above post where I said I was in error. Misread the ruling.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:52 PM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sport Pilot you may be dealing with old information. What I have posted is the most up-to-date information on this matter. You have yet to provide us any links to the information you are working with.

Look, we ask that you quit spreading bad information. It's simple.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:59 PM
Sport_Pilot

Sport Pilot you may be dealing with old information. What I have posted is the most up-to-date information on this matter. You have yet to provide us any links to the information you are working with.

I think you missed my prior post where I said I misread the ruling?
Old 12-15-2015, 01:04 PM
thepamster

Thanks Sport.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:06 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
From the ruling.

I think you're reading it wrong Sport, read the whole thing again, then look at 14.30, which specifically references the fleet of planes. For modelers, I do not see where there is a requirement to register each plane.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:22 PM
N410DC

The document Sport Pilot referenced is available here. The passage he quoted ("§ 48.115 Registration: Individuals intending to use small unmanned aircraft exclusively as a model aircraft. . .") is on page 206.

The document was dated yesterday, so it seems pretty recent to me.

I am not sure if the FAA is requiring us to register model aircraft pilots, the owners of model aircraft, the aircraft themselves, the flight controller in the aircraft, or the name of the little plastic pilot in the cockpit. In the end, I am unconcerned with the semantics. I know that I need to get a single registration number, and apply that number to all of my model aircraft that weigh more than 250 grams.

On or about December 21, I am going to get my registration number, put a sticker on all my aircraft, and not fret about this matter again until I need to renew the registration in 2018.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:25 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by porcia83
I think you're reading it wrong Sport, read the whole thing again, then look at 14.30, which specifically references the fleet of planes. For modelers, I do not see where there is a requirement to register each plane.
I was wrong about registering each plane, then only mentioned the owner registers, did you not read my post?
Old 12-15-2015, 01:27 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by N410DC
The document Sport Pilot referenced is available here. The passage he quoted ("§ 48.115 Registration: Individuals intending to use small unmanned aircraft exclusively as a model aircraft. . .") is on page 206.

The document was dated yesterday, so it seems pretty recent to me.

I am not sure if the FAA is requiring us to register model aircraft pilots, the owners of model aircraft, the aircraft themselves, the flight controller in the aircraft, or the name of the little plastic pilot in the cockpit. In the end, I am unconcerned with the semantics. I know that I need to get a single registration number, and apply that number to all of my model aircraft that weigh more than 250 grams.

On or about December 21, I am going to get my registration number, put a sticker on all my aircraft, and not fret about this matter again until I need to renew the registration in 2018.
Well the owner registering instead of the pilot is important because if registered by the pilot you could not let someone else fly your plane.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:37 PM
TimJ

***EDIT
Totally missed your retraction statement Sport Pilot. My apologies.

Last edited by TimJ; 12-15-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:38 PM
mike_tx

From the ruling.

Just like a Gun... But guess what? When there is a Problem, you had better have insurance!
Ask AMA what would happen if...."someone stole my rc drone and a crashed caused an injury"
or "I sold that one and forgot to take the numbers off"
Old 12-15-2015, 01:41 PM
mike_tx

I bet AIRHOGS is pissed! Wait till the children have to register!
Old 12-15-2015, 01:46 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by flyrcjets
Mike you sound so smart I'd thought you'd fiqure by now all clubs operating on federal , state, county and park land must adhere to all laws and regulations. I know, I know Texas is exempt from all things logical...
Were located on private property, We still have that in Texas. I was visiting with a couple of local law enforcement friends this morning they thought it was comical how some feel they have the time and manpower to be the "drone" response force.

Mike
Old 12-15-2015, 01:47 PM
porcia83
Banned

I was wrong about registering each plane, then only mentioned the owner registers, did you not read my post?
i saw your retraction, but then you seemed to disagree again.

Let's agree to disagree about our agreement.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:51 PM
handeman71
My Feedback: (7)

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Good thing I fly a traditional RC model and not a drone.
New law states "uav" that's all rc.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:52 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by handeman71
New law states "uav" that's all rc.
Yeah funny how that works. Too bad my national advocacy body was not able to clarify that I don't fly drones. Not sure why they did not think that was important. So now I have to register my model.

But I am SURE the people to told us last year this would NEVER happen are correct now and that this is ALL that will happen.

Remember, this "anti drone" frenzy is now over, all is well, nothing more to see here, 5 bucks and a sharpy...all is well!
Old 12-15-2015, 03:07 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Sport , I think you have it correctly . As I read it , Model planes will be a single $5 fee for as many as you own and you'll get one registration number to put on all your planes .

But ,

Drones will be $5 each with the drone's serial # , powerplant serial # and type , and some other info being listed for each drone someone owns . Each drone will have it's own registration number and sale or destruction must be reported to the FAA .
Old 12-15-2015, 05:09 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

The AMA should have been prepared and had a plan worked out long ago to use our membership number as registration. Not reacting now running around with their hair on fire.
I've supported the AMA but have always said they,not unlike some clubs, are 20 years behind the times.
Hey AMA.....welcome to the 21'st century !!
Speaking of government and gov run programs. I've been sitting for hours tonight waiting to log on to obamacare to check something. Will the FAA site be this bad? Just like obamacare said when it started that the costs will remain low and not even a year later we see 70%+ increases. $5.00 every three years............yeah right !
Old 12-15-2015, 05:30 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
The AMA should have been prepared and had a plan worked out long ago to use our membership number as registration. Not reacting now running around with their hair on fire.
I've supported the AMA but have always said they,not unlike some clubs, are 20 years behind the times.
Hey AMA.....welcome to the 21'st century !!
Speaking of government and gov run programs. I've been sitting for hours tonight waiting to log on to obamacare to check something. Will the FAA site be this bad? Just like obamacare said when it started that the costs will remain low and not even a year later we see 70%+ increases. $5.00 every three years............yeah right !
A number is a number, I don't see what the big deal is. My P-Touch label maker can print two lines.

Most likely our AMA numbers are not consistent with the numbering algorithm used by the FAA so I'm thinking this is moot unless the AMA is willing to switch. Might be a large work effort for the simplicity of having one number versus two.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:05 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Has it been stated or posted somewhere how the FAA is going to enforce this? Who is going to be checking my plane on Sunday afternoons at the flying field?
Old 12-15-2015, 06:23 PM
Flight Risk

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So you put your number on your plane, and then let someone else fly your plane. They need your registration certificate. Which makes me think the certificate goes with the plane, not the person. Therefore you are registering the plane?
Old 12-15-2015, 06:43 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Has it been stated or posted somewhere how the FAA is going to enforce this?

Who is going to be checking my plane on Sunday afternoons at the flying field?
Who knows, but it won't be me. Registration is up to the individual.

Mike.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:52 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Yeah funny how that works. Too bad my national advocacy body was not able to clarify that I don't fly drones. Not sure why they did not think that was important. So now I have to register my model.

But I am SURE the people to told us last year this would NEVER happen are correct now and that this is ALL that will happen.

Remember, this "anti drone" frenzy is now over, all is well, nothing more to see here, 5 bucks and a sharpy...all is well!
Ya, too bad the AMA wasn't able to tell the FAA what to do, and how to define one aircraft from the other. Wonder if Amazon tried, or DJI tried...etc etc. Who would have though a group representing 180k people couldn't tell the FAA what do to.

Do you use your aircraft for business use? If not, why do you feel as though you are required to register it?

Last edited by porcia83; 12-15-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:54 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It would seem that the word "tethered" has been used as well. This would include CL models. If this is the case, the absurdity could not be more clearly illustrated than here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.