Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Best Buy ad for Yuneec 4K drone with FREE AMA Membership!

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Best Buy ad for Yuneec 4K drone with FREE AMA Membership!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 02:00 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Slow day eh.....get well friend, I wish you the best.

Quick..somebody get a pull string ASAP...!
He's starting to lose his angular velocity...!
Old 11-16-2015, 02:17 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by combatpigg
It's fun to watch him squirm when he's being forced to eat his own cooking.
Oddly enough, I'm a fan of my own cooking...as were 125 folks at a soup kitchen lunch I hosted today. Some less than fortunate folks, families, and lots of veterans enjoyed pulled pork sliders, pasta salad, chopped salad with bacon and vidalia onion dressing, a cupcake, an apple, and ice tea. Wouldn't normally post up pics here on that, but you picked the right day. It's a far more rewarding experience than flying a plane for a day.

Again, best wishes.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	meal.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	4.25 MB
ID:	2130964  
Old 11-16-2015, 02:21 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

To the best of my knowledge no quad only guys have joined the club.
We had one member that was a 3d flier and Professional Photographer for a living that was one of the very early fliers to the new technology .. he spent a mint and was using it for work before it was forbidden.. He is no longer a photographer and I haven't seen his quads at the files in ages.

I know of about 6 other guys that have them but after seeing them fly a couple times at the field they don't bring them out anymore. They prefer to fly new places, and more or less explore.

One thing is for sure I have flown planes with them, and while I can keep track of any other airplane of size while I fly mine.. you absolutely can't tell where the quad is unless its right in your face.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:25 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by foodstick
We had one member that was a 3d flier and Professional Photographer for a living that was one of the very early fliers to the new technology .. he spent a mint and was using it for work before it was forbidden.. He is no longer a photographer and I haven't seen his quads at the files in ages.

I know of about 6 other guys that have them but after seeing them fly a couple times at the field they don't bring them out anymore. They prefer to fly new places, and more or less explore.

One thing is for sure I have flown planes with them, and while I can keep track of any other airplane of size while I fly mine.. you absolutely can't tell where the quad is unless its right in your face.
So would you welcome them into your club or not? I totally get that they are different to see when flying, it's one of the reasons we won't allow them to fly at the same time as planes, in the same area. In our club they fly at a site dedicated to rotory aircraft. I don't think the doors are going to be bursting to get into clubs from MR only folks...just wondering why a club would turn them away if that's the only thing they flew.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:11 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Oddly enough, I'm a fan of my own cooking...as were 125 folks at a soup kitchen lunch I hosted today. Some less than fortunate folks, families, and lots of veterans enjoyed pulled pork sliders, pasta salad, chopped salad with bacon and vidalia onion dressing, a cupcake, an apple, and ice tea. Wouldn't normally post up pics here on that, but you picked the right day. It's a far more rewarding experience than flying a plane for a day.

Again, best wishes.

You must have a ton of food lodged in your keyboard...!
Old 12-04-2015, 02:42 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Again, best wishes.

Hey
porcia83 arguing with Idiots will Just bring U down to their level.U know, roll'n round in the swill,
But it is fun twisting their little Piggy tails.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:10 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Hey

Hey Hound,
I hear what you are saying, life's to short to argue about stuff like this. We're all equal, we love the hobby, and we're passionate about it. It is disappointing that things take a turn they way they do sometimes. Would rather keep in positive. What's done is done, the past is the past, nobody can turn back time and change the decisions made by the FAA or the AMA. Just gotta move forward. Meanwhile, our club had our annual holiday meeting dinner and Toys for Tots collection (and not a drone in the bunch . Biggest turn out ever, 74 fantastic gifts, and $50.00 in food gift cards for our towns social services department. Regardless of what we fly, I know this hobby has incredibly generous people, I've seen in here, and at other clubs across the country via the MA stories.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1741.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	2133950   Click image for larger version

Name:	toysfortots.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	4.39 MB
ID:	2133951  
Old 12-04-2015, 08:14 PM
HoundDog

Hey Hound,
I hear what you are saying, life's to short to argue about stuff like this. We're all equal, we love the hobby, and we're passionate about it. It is disappointing that things take a turn they way they do sometimes. Would rather keep in positive. What's done is done, the past is the past, nobody can turn back time and change the decisions made by the FAA or the AMA. Just gotta move forward. Meanwhile, our club had our annual holiday meeting dinner and Toys for Tots collection (and not a drone in the bunch . Biggest turn out ever, 74 fantastic gifts, and $50.00 in food gift cards for our towns social services department. Regardless of what we fly, I know this hobby has incredibly generous people, I've seen in here, and at other clubs across the country via the MA stories.

Congrats on the Toys, Makes for great community relations
Typical R/C club a whole bunch
of Q Tips. Average age over 55 I Mean.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:03 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Hound,
I hear what you are saying, Would rather keep in positive.
Not sure what how you heard anything positive in what Hound said.........because this is what I read, "porcia83 arguing with Idiots will Just bring U down to their level.U know, roll'n round in the swill,
But it is fun twisting their little Piggy tails."

Even though he tried to hide it with small fonts!!

Regards,

Astro
Old 12-05-2015, 06:33 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Typical R/C club a whole bunch
of Q Tips. Average age over 55 I Mean.
I've visited a good number of clubs over the past few years and it's a relatively accurate assumption to make that many clubs fit a stereotype, ie white male, average age 55. That might change a bit depending on geography, but that's what I've seen in my neck of the woods. I don't know what the reason for that is, it just is what it is. Our club probably still fits that "profile", but over the past 5 years has started to shift. We offer family packages with $1.00 dues for kids. We have about 10 families now, and are aggressive about seeking that type of membership out. When we have events where the public visits, we'll have a member act as a "guide" and bring them around the club, show them the planes, introduce the to pilots, and even get them on buddy boxes if possible. We involve cub/boy scouts, and schools as well. If a child wants to join but not the parents, we cut our fee in half. Guess what the kids love these days, heli's and MR. We can bring 10 fixed wing aircraft to model day or to an event just to promote our club, the younger folks will go right to the one heli of quad. We've worked hard to be inclusive of all, increasing our diversity and club makeup. 4 years ago we were artificially "capped" at 125 members (which I thought was insane for a club that had the real estate we had), we are now over 200. A concerted effort to change, and hard work from lots of people made that happen. Now the trick is to maintain (and maybe grow a little more
Old 12-05-2015, 06:49 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by astrohog
Not sure what how you heard anything positive in what Hound said.........because this is what I read, "porcia83 arguing with Idiots will Just bring U down to their level.U know, roll'n round in the swill,
But it is fun twisting their little Piggy tails."

Even though he tried to hide it with small fonts!!

Regards,

Astro
Hey Hoggie After I copied the porcia83 I couldn't get the font to change. Sorry but U really did miss the sarcasm. Nothing ever positive comes from the Sty.

Hey look at that it worked this time .... Have a good day I'm going fly'en
AJ Forecast for Severe Clear Light winds and 76 degrees by 1 pm.

Bellingham, WA Forecast Overcast Rain winds to 20 mph and a high of 51.
No wonder U stay in & post dumb stuff.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:21 AM
HoundDog

I've visited a good number of clubs over the past few years and it's a relatively accurate assumption to make that many clubs fit a stereotype, ie white male, average age 55. That might change a bit depending on geography, but that's what I've seen in my neck of the woods. I don't know what the reason for that is, it just is what it is. Our club probably still fits that "profile", but over the past 5 years has started to shift. We offer family packages with $1.00 dues for kids. We have about 10 families now, and are aggressive about seeking that type of membership out. When we have events where the public visits, we'll have a member act as a "guide" and bring them around the club, show them the planes, introduce the to pilots, and even get them on buddy boxes if possible. We involve cub/boy scouts, and schools as well. If a child wants to join but not the parents, we cut our fee in half. Guess what the kids love these days, heli's and MR. We can bring 10 fixed wing aircraft to model day or to an event just to promote our club, the younger folks will go right to the one heli of quad. We've worked hard to be inclusive of all, increasing our diversity and club makeup. 4 years ago we were artificially "capped" at 125 members (which I thought was insane for a club that had the real estate we had), we are now over 200. A concerted effort to change, and hard work from lots of people made that happen. Now the trick is to maintain (and maybe grow a little more
The reasons i see for the lack of Youth are many and not necessarily in this order.
1. Expence- It's not an inexpensive hobby/sport.
2. Lack of transportation.
3. Computers and cell phones.
4. Lack of parental participation
5. Girls
6. Cars
7. Sports
and probably should be first ...
8. "Grumpy O'l Farts" that don't care for Kids and Women at THEIR sanctuary.

Of the 5 clubs to which I belong all but one caters to the public at least ounce a summer. The other one has 6 major events open to the public each winter in AZ. Community relations are so important today (Mainly Just for a clubs survival) it only takes one cranky O'l Fart on either side to really screw things up.

In the last 3 years instructing Under the Intro Program. I've been able to train 2 youngsters and about a dozen "O'l Retired Farts" Guess who's easier to train.

But this thread is about BEST BUY offering AMA membership with each Quad. I think it's great if the other O'l Farts can put up with UN-Traditional UAV's. If they can't, it sure is going to be a black eye for the AMA in that why in the world would an outsider want anything to do with the grumpy OF's in the AMA.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:56 AM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by foodstick

Hey foodstick,

This is a late reply....missed it before, but here's a thought: airplanes are rarely black except those that have a lot of heat to dissipate, like a SR-71 did. OTOH, seems like every other drone is black. Think about it. Not an original thought on my part........picked up that notion from another thread.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:02 PM
porcia83
Banned

Might be true, although I've seen all different colors, but ya, many are black. My guess would be many of the frames are fabricated from carbon fiber, hence the color. I have seen some 3D printed in some wild colors as well, but those I believe tend to be heavier.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:52 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Turns out BestBuy is paying for the membership at a 33% discount.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:10 PM
porcia83
Banned

Interesting!
Old 12-07-2015, 01:48 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Turns out BestBuy is paying for the membership at a 33% discount.
Got a detailed explanation from Gary (who wrote the article) about this but nothing was mentioned about a discount. The purchaser gets a "gift card" that the AMA is reimbursed from Best Buy when the AMA turns them over. Seems like a pretty nice guy we exchanged a few emails.

Mike
Old 12-07-2015, 01:50 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Got a detailed explanation from Gary (who wrote the article) about this but nothing was mentioned about a discount. The purchaser gets a "gift card" that the AMA is reimbursed from Best Buy when the AMA turns them over. Seems like a pretty nice guy we exchanged a few emails.

Mike
Yes, lets just say I had to ask the question in just the right way, on the third try, to get the answer.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:02 PM
porcia83
Banned

Yes, lets just say I had to ask the question in just the right way, on the third try, to get the answer.
Amazing how a little persistence paid off!
Old 12-07-2015, 06:25 PM
rcmiket

I was actually surprised. i just quoted his article in my email and asked straight forward questions about it. I got a prompt reply answering my questions in detail. When ever communicating with the AMA staff I make it a point to sign with my name and AMA # don't l know if that makes a difference or not. On the normal club communication stuff I've always been very happy with the way things are handled.

Mike.