RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   Best Buy ad for Yuneec 4K drone with FREE AMA Membership! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/11623507-best-buy-ad-yuneec-4k-drone-free-ama-membership.html)

Dick T. 11-09-2015 06:30 PM

Best Buy ad for Yuneec 4K drone with FREE AMA Membership!

Not only are they undercutting the LHS price but offering Free AMA membership!

I can understand pricing competition but who is paying for the free memberships?

Maybe some of the recent dues increase is subsidizing this. Thanks AMA for encouraging some of the yoyo's who created this FAA/Drone mess.

http://deals.bestbuy.com/?category=c...mp+camcorders4

porcia83 11-09-2015 06:46 PM

Wait, what is wrong with this? In all likelihood there is a fee arrangement with Yuneec and Bestbuy tp cpver the AMA membership dues, god knows between the two they can bury that cost.

Is it bad to have someone who buys this get involved with the AMA?

If one of these "yoyos" came to you and asked for some decals to be made, would you?

NorfolkSouthern 11-09-2015 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dick T. (Post 12125004)

I can understand pricing competition but who is paying for the free memberships?

Maybe some of the recent dues increase is subsidizing this. Thanks AMA for encouraging some of the yoyo's who created this FAA/Drone mess.

That's 99% of the model airplanes flying these days. I visited a sporting goods store, and even a local department store. The brands are different, but all of them are quads. All this reminds me of the days when .049 Cox model planes were available everywhere, even at K-Mart. It's the direction the hobby is headed. We'll have to see what comes out of that new ruling on November 20.

rcmiket 11-10-2015 08:48 AM

That's map for that model.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/...rip-p-yunq4kus

Cool about the AMA membership, IMO
Maybe their just eating the membership fees.

Mike

porcia83 11-10-2015 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by rcmiket (Post 12125230)
That's map for that model.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/...rip-p-yunq4kus

Cool about the AMA membership, IMO
Maybe their just eating the membership fees.

Mike

Who do you think is eating the membership fee?

mr_matt 11-10-2015 01:51 PM

Best Buy pays the AMA for the memberships

rcmiket 11-10-2015 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by porcia83 (Post 12125247)

Best Buy and Yuneec I guess unless you know something different.

Mike

porcia83 11-10-2015 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by rcmiket (Post 12125392)

Mike

as noted in post 2....

In all likelihood there is a fee arrangement with Yuneec and Bestbuy tp cpver the AMA membership dues, god knows between the two they can bury that cost.

mr_matt 11-10-2015 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by rcmiket (Post 12125392)

Mike

Best Buy will pay the AMA for every membership redeemed through an activation process via a special AMA membership enrollment page. AMA is only paid if a customer redeems the membership.

rcmiket 11-10-2015 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by porcia83 (Post 12125247)

I really hope you were not fishing for a AMA tie to this from my end.

Mike.

porcia83 11-11-2015 04:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by rcmiket (Post 12125516)
I really hope you were not fishing for a AMA tie to this from my end.

Mike.

Not at all into fishing, either in person or on web. At this point you should realize if I have a question for ya, I'll ask it. Honestly have no idea what you mean by above.. Do you mean a tie in as promotion, or the other kind of tie......
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2130088

As for the "free AMA membership" promotion, I don't see it making someone go out and buy this unit. I wouldn't imagine the AMA would give a free membership away (no real benefit there yes I know kid ones are free but doubt this unit is going to a kid), I figured both BB and the manf would be kicking in. It's not a "bad" promotion in that it might bring in new members to the AMA, I just don't know that it's that effective. Nothing wrong with trying though.

rcmiket 11-11-2015 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by porcia83 (Post 12125601)

As for the "free AMA membership" promotion, I don't see it making someone go out and buy this unit. I wouldn't imagine the AMA would give a free membership away (no real benefit there yes I know kid ones are free but doubt this unit is going to a kid), I figured both BB and the manf would be kicking in. It's not a "bad" promotion in that it might bring in new members to the AMA, I just don't know that it's that effective. Nothing wrong with trying though.

People love free stuff. As far as the "fishing" question I may have took it wrong but previous posts on that seems that most (including me) thought that the membership was being picked up by the retailer and manufacture. Made me wonder why you asked.

Mike

porcia83 11-11-2015 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by rcmiket (Post 12125603)
People love free stuff. As far as the "fishing" question I may have took it wrong but previous posts on that seems that most (including me) thought that the membership was being picked up by the retailer and manufacture. Made me wonder why you asked.

Mike

LoL...it's great to start the day with a chuckle. Now you're second guessing why I'm asking a question? Let's recap though, I asked the question because the OP didn't know himself. The next person to ask a question or make a comment about the fee was YOU...when you said the following:

"Cool about the AMA membership, IMO
Maybe their just eating the membership fees."

Matt then said the two parties were splitting it, then I guess you just agreed to that. I'm not seeing a "most" kind of situation here, but whatevs. Sometimes a question is just a question. :)

rcmiket 11-11-2015 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by porcia83 (Post 12125614)
LoL...it's great to start the day with a chuckle. Now you're second guessing why I'm asking a question? Let's recap though, I asked the question because the OP didn't know himself. The next person to ask a question or make a comment about the fee was YOU...when you said the following:

"Cool about the AMA membership, IMO
Maybe their just eating the membership fees."

Matt then said the two parties were splitting it, then I guess you just agreed to that. I'm not seeing a "most" kind of situation here, but whatevs. Sometimes a question is just a question. :)

Tell ya what as long as I'm paying for it I'm OK with it.

Mike

porcia83 11-11-2015 05:21 AM

did you mean NOT paying for it? I would not be thrilled to hear the AMA was giving free memberships away. I'm willing to bet that they have in the past and there might be a perfectly good reason to do so, but not in this case, imo. You got enough to buy a floating blender...you got enough to join the AMA. :)

rcmiket 11-11-2015 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by porcia83 (Post 12125618)
did you mean NOT paying for it? I would not be thrilled to hear the AMA was giving free memberships away. I'm willing to bet that they have in the past and there might be a perfectly good reason to do so, but not in this case, imo. You got enough to buy a floating blender...you got enough to join the AMA. :)

Right as far as me NOT but apparently they are giving away free memberships. From the last EC minutes

"While the membership numbers were up in 2014, membership revenue was flat."

Mike

porcia83 11-11-2015 02:12 PM

children's memberships if I'm not mistaken, I don't have a problem with that.

TimJ 11-11-2015 06:02 PM

Sorry Dick, but they are NOT undercutting the local hobby shop. Yuneec has MAP pricing policy.

TimJ 11-11-2015 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by porcia83 (Post 12125812)
children's memberships if I'm not mistaken, I don't have a problem with that.

Nope. Full membership. Which I really don't see what the problem is here..........

porcia83 11-11-2015 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by TimJ (Post 12125927)
Nope. Full membership. Which I really don't see what the problem is here..........

Where are you getting this information? Source? The AMA has given 60k memberships away for free?

And ya...I'd kinda have a problem with a third of the AMA"s membership being given away to adults, in general.

Dick T. 11-11-2015 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by TimJ (Post 12125924)
Sorry Dick, but they are NOT undercutting the local hobby shop. Yuneec has MAP pricing policy.

My mistake, I was comparing different Yuneec packages.

porcia83 11-11-2015 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dick T. (Post 12125961)
My mistake, I was comparing different Yuneec packages.

So would you do decals for these if someone asked you to?

Dick T. 11-11-2015 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by porcia83 (Post 12125963)
So would you do decals for these if someone asked you to?

No. Don't do decals any longer. Not much market left other than scale builders and they are becoming extinct.

TimJ 11-11-2015 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by porcia83 (Post 12125945)
Where are you getting this information? Source? The AMA has given 60k memberships away for free?

And ya...I'd kinda have a problem with a third of the AMA"s membership being given away to adults, in general.

Take a look at the details on best buy's website. Some has to be paying for this. I doubt the AMA is giving away free membership so best buy or Yuneec can make more money.

rc manic 11-11-2015 10:30 PM

Let's all be realistic about this. Nothing is for free. The AMA has nothing to gain by giving free membership. As it is, they can barely maintain their current status with our dues, thus the recent increase.