Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Yes or No , Do you think the AMA was right or wrong to embrace DRONES ?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Was it a mistake or not for the AMA to embrace drones ?
Yes
77.25%
No
22.75%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Yes or No , Do you think the AMA was right or wrong to embrace DRONES ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 05:52 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drones replaced traditional models in the 70's, which is when I started flying drones. I never called them that but that is what they are. I think we need to stop using that term and use sUAV and Model Airplane which are the two terms the FAA uses.

BTW the definition of "Model Airplane" include those pesky quads, just not the ones with GPS.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:54 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Really? I had no issue understanding the question and I'm no rocket scientist.. I really find it hard to believe that 33% couldn't understand it. So far we have had 3 (I believe) who admitted they made a mistake. My advise to them or anyone else is read twice before you hit submit.

Mike
Did you include myself in that 3? Usually there are at least 10 times (or more) as many who do not admit to making a mistake when they did. Also the question uses that confusing noun, "drone".
Old 12-02-2015, 05:56 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Yes for real. The poll is trash because a vast number voted the wrong way because of the misleading and backwards messages.
It's a useless pole anyway it's so small a sample as to be useless Especially concerning most of us that post here are posting in all the NEGATIVE Forums. People that DO fly Drones don't give a crap what U me or anyone does or says. Neither do 99.0000 % of AMA members ... Just ask your fellow club members ... 99% don't know what U are even talking about or don't care either. It is what it is. Nothing we can do about it so don't worry, Just Fly.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:56 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by HoundDog
The only thing it "POINTS" to is that 80% of the people dumb enough to participate in the survey don't do DRONES, so no one should ... There are still 184,913 AMA'ers that either don't care or figure people that argue on RCU Forums are NUTZ anyway.
I would guess over 90% of AMA members fly drones. The rest fly traditional models like control line and free flight.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:00 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing it "POINTS" to is that 80% of the people dumb enough to participate in the survey don't do DRONES, so no one should ... There are still 184,913 AMA'ers that either don't care or figure people that argue on RCU Forums are NUTZ anyway.
I would venture a guess that 75% ( or more) of the AMA membership does not know what RCU is or even care for that matter, That fact remains that 80% who voted think the AMA made a bad choice. Nutz, now that's very possible

Mike
Old 12-02-2015, 06:01 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by astrohog
INCREDIBLE!

Let's NOT use the numbers from the actual poll. let's take a stab at it and call it good!

SERIOUSLY? NO, I mean, are you REALLY for REAL?

Astro

I would guess over 90% of AMA members fly drones. The rest fly traditional models like control line and free flight
Sporty;
Ounce again U are absolutely correct at least to the FAA's definitions of DRONES. Soon to be over a MILLION strong. I'll bet tat 99.99% won't be REGISTERED Xmas Morning for their Maiden either.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:05 AM
geritoljet
My Feedback: (3)

AMA made a big mistake. The world of DRONEs has exploded and will certainly have an adverse affect on all of us because users for the most part are not responsible nor are they the type to join an organization where they see no benefit to themselves.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:07 AM
rcmiket

I would guess over 90% of AMA members fly drones. The rest fly traditional models like control line and free flight.
This keeps coming up the word "drone" has now pretty much been attached to multi rotors, quads and such. Every time I read or see something in the news or in print there's a quad pictured.

Mike
Old 12-02-2015, 06:15 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by geritoljet
AMA made a big mistake. The world of DRONEs has exploded and will certainly have an adverse affect on all of us because users for the most part are not responsible nor are they the type to join an organization where they see no benefit to themselves.
This is probably mostly true ... but then it's our job to educate the Loner Droner and show what a Wonderful time they can have paying for an ama insurance policy paying Club dues just to be told by some OLD FART U aren't any good U fly Drones and I don't like U cause of that abs U should fly what us o'l farts do we know way better than U young Punks. Remember Drones are here they are staying and after Xmas (If the Predictions are any wares near correct) they will out number the TRADITIONAL Flyer. Can't Waite.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:18 AM
Sport_Pilot

This keeps coming up the word "drone" has now pretty much been attached to multi rotors, quads and such. Every time I read or see something in the news or in print there's a quad pictured.

Mike
So why shouldn't the AMA embrace quads? They should just as they accept helicopters. What about bicopters? or tricopters? Why should the number of blades be a factor? Only that the fact that having three or more blades make the platform stable, and easier to fly and to use a camera has made this a problem. Add to the fact that now all you need is a cell phone and type in a distance and direction or coordinates, that and ignorance has become the problem. Everybody says it has put a bad name for the AMA. But I bet if you poll the public you will find that 90% think the AMA is the American Medical Association, and 9% think it is the American Motorcycle Association. IMO if the new mentioned us more often then the bad publicity would actually HELP!
Old 12-02-2015, 06:21 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a useless pole anyway
(it's POLL. Poles are for strippers!)

Yet you bothered to vote?

Did you only realize it was useless AFTER you saw the results were heavily lopsided against your opinion?

I can only imagine how this thread would read IF the results were opposite!

Regards,

Astro
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	RockyII-Still3CR.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	2133549  
Old 12-02-2015, 06:25 AM
Sport_Pilot

Mike

The FAA doesn't use that term and people get really confused when its not used in the regulations. So maybe we should stop using the term?
Old 12-02-2015, 06:29 AM
rcmiket

So why shouldn't the AMA embrace quads? They should just as they accept helicopters. What about bicopters? or tricopters? Why should the number of blades be a factor? Only that the fact that having three or more blades make the platform stable, and easier to fly and to use a camera has made this a problem. Add to the fact that now all you need is a cell phone and type in a distance and direction or coordinates, that and ignorance has become the problem. Everybody says it has put a bad name for the AMA. But I bet if you poll the public you will find that 90% think the AMA is the American Medical Association, and 9% think it is the American Motorcycle Association. IMO if the new mentioned us more often then the bad publicity would actually HELP!
The only member net would be the racer since they require AMA to participate and I would imagine most who race have been in the hobby so would already be a AMA member. The big fascination with the whole quad thing is that it's a camera platform and any one with 1 brain cell can fly one. Why would anyone who purchases one of these want to join a club? So the can shoot fantastic video of nothing? They want "cool" video they can post on utube for the Oh Ah factor. Very, very few club sites offer that kind of scenery .
I see it every day the only quads we see at the field are the ones that our club members buy. Out of all the quads we have sold not one has showed at the field even though we invite them. There is no way these people will come into the fold there's no reason for them too anyone on that thinks that they will register them is dreaming. This whole thing is a exercise in futility.

Mike
Old 12-02-2015, 06:32 AM
rcmiket

The FAA doesn't use that term and people get really confused when its not used in the regulations. So maybe we should stop using the term?
It's way too late for that the horses have left the barn. Using "drone" on a site that no one knows about isn't fueling the fire. I guess we could UAS or UAV but Joe Blow won't know what that is.

Mike
Old 12-02-2015, 06:34 AM
rcmiket

(it's POLL. Poles are for strippers!)

Yet you bothered to vote?

Did you only realize it was useless AFTER you saw the results were heavily lopsided against your opinion?

I can only imagine how this thread would read IF the results were opposite!

Regards,

Astro
No Joke. It would already be at 100 pages.

Mike
Old 12-02-2015, 06:49 AM
My Feedback: (1)

• YES 85 - 79.44% They Made a mistake
  • NO 22 - 20.56% No They did not

These numbers point to something interesting. That numbers don't lie.
    There have been numerous threads on this subject but this ones different. It's clear as day how people feel on the subject.
    In the other threads if you wanted your feelings on the subject known you had to post them. Risking be attacked by some members and told just how wrong they were. Here they could post their vote and not comment. Not everyone is comfortable posting on a forum.
    It's been beaten to death here that those of us who feel the AMA blew it on this whole deal are a small minority but this poll validates there are more than just a few.
    If you have not done so please email your District VP along with Bob Brown and let them know how you feel.

Mike
I agree with you, Mike.
The numbers don't lie.
I certainly don't question the validity
of the poll-considering the AMA
demographic, I'd say about 80%
of those responding fit right in
with the Archie Bunker mentality.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:03 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by 804
I'd say about 80%
Just how do you figure? You don't know a thing about me or any of those people do you, but you come up with that?
Well done.
Were you one of the one's "tricked" by the poll?

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 12-02-2015 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:05 AM
rcmiket

Duplicate
Old 12-02-2015, 07:19 AM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

What do you need to score on your SAT to gain acceptance into the AMA Glee Club...?
Old 12-02-2015, 07:24 AM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 804
I agree with you, Mike.
The numbers don't lie.
I certainly don't question the validity
of the poll-considering the AMA
demographic, I'd say about 80%
Sour Grapes
Old 12-02-2015, 07:37 AM
Tseres

Here's another 14 well-known names in modeling that think the AMA should show distinct separation between "traditional" modeling and "drones".

[ATTACH]2133121[/IMG]

Regards,

Astro
Nicely written. Agree 100%.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:45 AM
Sport_Pilot

The only member net would be the racer since they require AMA to participate and I would imagine most who race have been in the hobby so would already be a AMA member. The big fascination with the whole quad thing is that it's a camera platform and any one with 1 brain cell can fly one. Why would anyone who purchases one of these want to join a club? So the can shoot fantastic video of nothing? They want "cool" video they can post on utube for the Oh Ah factor. Very, very few club sites offer that kind of scenery .
I see it every day the only quads we see at the field are the ones that our club members buy. Out of all the quads we have sold not one has showed at the field even though we invite them. There is no way these people will come into the fold there's no reason for them too anyone on that thinks that they will register them is dreaming. This whole thing is a exercise in futility.

Mike

I see several quads at the field when I am there. Some are doing 3 D stunts.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:09 AM
rcmiket

I see several quads at the field when I am there. Some are doing 3 D stunts.
Sure but the vast majority sold are camera platforms. Those are the guys we'll never see. We just had a racing group form here 4 guys (hoping for more) all AMA members and have been for some time.

Mike
Old 12-02-2015, 08:19 AM
Sport_Pilot

Sure but the vast majority sold are camera platforms. Those are the guys we'll never see. We just had a racing group form here 4 guys (hoping for more) all AMA members and have been for some time.

Mike
Ok so why should the AMA not support these people?
Old 12-02-2015, 08:27 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by TheEdge
~It seems to me that the members here, often in multiples, get annoyed and even frustrated with Porcia when he posts. I would go as far to say that it is just about anything he posts. I would have thought he would think about how he could be less of a common denominator but am actually thinking now that it's his intention to create this atmospere as he thrives on the attention.

I'm curious, is it just me or are others noticing a patter nere and if you do, do you enjoy it or would you rather not see it?
Two words. "Ignore list"

Don't waste time reading posts from people that annoy or frustrate you. Life is too short.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.