Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Yes or No , Do you think the AMA was right or wrong to embrace DRONES ?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Was it a mistake or not for the AMA to embrace drones ?
Yes
77.25%
No
22.75%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Yes or No , Do you think the AMA was right or wrong to embrace DRONES ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 08:35 AM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Believe me Rob, I tried that but what happens is the thread gets fragmented, your reading right along and all of a sudden the topic shifts as someone is defending themselves for accusations that must have been thrown out which you don't get and then find out it was the same source yet again. This is why I asked what I did as I thought if it's just me then live with it but it clearly isn't just me.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:11 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Ok so why should the AMA not support these people?
As soon as they start joining I'd be all for it. As of right now I don't see it happening. We've spent a sizable amount with no measurable results.
Just how are we attracting them? Everything I see is targeting existing member's.

Mike
Old 12-02-2015, 09:15 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As soon as they start joining I'd be all for it.
Pretty sure that those people flying them at my field and yours are AMA members.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:37 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have always thought in life you pay your own way.

The drones open a liability problem whose cost must be paid.

I do not wish to carry that cost.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:03 AM
Sport_Pilot

Maybe there is a liability problem, but who is asking you to pay?
Old 12-02-2015, 11:24 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Pretty sure that those people flying them at my field and yours are AMA members.

Right I'm referring to those who purchase them and never will join.The ones were wasting the money on trying and attract.

Mike
Old 12-02-2015, 11:55 AM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by 804
Oh get over yourself, Rumley.
All I did was to put 2+2 together.
If my math is wrong, just say so.
Well, that answers my question about what you were looking for. Thanks, I guess..........
Old 12-02-2015, 02:43 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is kinda a loaded question. Bob brown is big into quads/drones so that's why you see him pushing that aspect of the MA hobby . AMA as a organization isn't pushing drones , it's bob brown. though drones have their place , i feel they have been a problem to the MA hobby because of their ease of use . meaning they don't need or want to join a community based organization to fly . you can buy one , take it home and either crash it or fly it without any concern for the national airspace. We as AMA members need to be proactive ,not reactive in educating people and letting them know what they are doing is unsafe and a detriment to the safety record we as AMA members have worked hard to maintain. I know both Bob personally
and will pass those concerns onto him when i see him again.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:09 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by astrohog
(it's POLL. Poles are for strippers!)

Yet you bothered to vote?

Did you only realize it was useless AFTER you saw the results were heavily lopsided against your opinion?

I can only imagine how this thread would read IF the results were opposite!

Regards,

Astro
OH Hoggy of course it because of the results ... There will never be any other reason "In your Mind" It's useless to even try and change any ones mind pro or con on Quads or if the AMA is right or wrong. Te only thing for sure here is the Quads are here their going to stay here and they soon will Multiply exponentially.
I'll bet that a year or less the LONER DRONER will get board with the whole thing and put their TOY on the shelf and forget all about. Droning is just BORING after a few flights and putting Boring video on U-TUBE.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:15 PM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

Didya catch the news about the (bleeping) drone that took out a child's eye. RC Groups "Off Topic Discussions", "Life, the Universe and Politics" section will lead you to the source.

Model Aviation has refused to publish information about a young lady (25) I know, an aerospace engineer, past president of a university engineers group, president of her schools winning group in the annual RC weight lifting competition, because - she is not an AMA member. Well, I guess this meeting of a drone and a young eyeball does not matter much since it happened in the UK so the (bleep Bleep) droner could not have been an AMA member.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:18 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by EloyM

Model Aviation has refused to publish information about a young lady (25) I know, an aerospace engineer, past president of a university engineers group, president of her schools winning group in the annual RC weight lifting competition, because - she is not an AMA member. Well, I guess this meeting of a drone and a young eyeball does not matter much since it happened in the UK so the (bleep Bleep) droner could not have been an AMA member.

If that's a true story I'd love a link.

Thanks
Mike
Old 12-02-2015, 03:35 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didya catch the news about the (bleeping) drone that took out a child's eye. RC Groups "Off Topic Discussions", "Life, the Universe and Politics" section will lead you to the source.

so what does an accident half way around the world got to do with AMA ? they can't and won't cover everything . there isn't enough magazine or web space to do that. i guess if your unhappy with AMA and all it does for you/us you can always stop subscribing.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:40 PM
islandflyer

Originally Posted by rcmiket
If that's a true story I'd love a link.

Thanks
Mike
Here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ball-half.html

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Drone eye.png
Views:	34
Size:	519.6 KB
ID:	2133594  

Last edited by islandflyer; 12-02-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:51 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by islandflyer
Some folks here will tell you that a thawed out turkey could have done the same thing to this poor child.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:54 PM
rcmiket

Thanks, but the story about the girl and the heavy lift was what I was interested in. Shame about the kid though.

Mike
Old 12-02-2015, 03:56 PM
HoundDog

Model Aviation has refused to publish information about a young lady (25) I know, an aerospace engineer, past president of a university engineers group, president of her schools winning group in the annual RC weight lifting competition, because - she is not an AMA member. Well, I guess this meeting of a drone and a young eyeball does not matter much since it happened in the UK so the (bleep Bleep) droner could not have been an AMA member
And how many AMA members suffer cuts to their hand arm fingers in the last week or so ... I Know of 2 in our club alone and the AMA is not reporting any of them in the magazine and neither is the National Enquirer. Again Useless info from half way around the world. OH and they didn't the report the loss of 5 planes yesterday at the field either.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:57 PM
islandflyer

Originally Posted by warbird_1
i guess if your unhappy with AMA and all it does for you/us you can always stop subscribing.
No exactly: AMA has a monopoly on the (secondary) insurance required by all RC Clubs and all events were I am all my friends can fly.
The AMA is indeed irrelevant in the kid's losing his eye dramatic incident, but the drone is 100% relevant.
The AMA is in fact irrelevant in any incident we keep reading about involving drones.
I fact the AMA is pretty irrelevant in the entire drone universe in general!
That is precisely why the Executive Council is misguided when positioning itself as being the proper channel of communication for the government to reach the drone (albeit "hobby drone") community, thereby exposing the Model Aviation community to all the negative attention the public, the media and the law maker can bring on. Yet this is exactly what Dave Mathewson did at the conference of the Committee on Transportation & Infrastructure hearing (watch the video, the term "drone was used extensively).

The drone are here to stay, yes! But we want this to be outside of the AMA.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:00 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by HoundDog
And how many AMA members suffer cuts to their hand arm fingers in the last week or so ... I Know of 2 in our club alone and the AMA is not reporting any of them in the magazine and neither is the National Enquirer. Again Useless info from half way around the world. OH and they didn't the report the loss of 5 planes yesterday at the field either.
You can not seriously compare SELF INFLICTED wounds in the pursuit of getting your "
RC FIX" to anything like what happened to this poor child at the hands of some idiot who did not think about the possible consequences..?
Are you really that numb...?

Yep, the "Drone Movement Is Here, Better Get Used To It" folks couldn't find a better spokesman than you.

I wouldn't be surprised if you tried to delete your last post out of pure shame, but at this point only RC Ken will be able to do that for you.

Last edited by combatpigg; 12-02-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:13 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by rcmiket
The only member net would be the racer since they require AMA to participate and I would imagine most who race have been in the hobby so would already be a AMA member. The big fascination with the whole quad thing is that it's a camera platform and any one with 1 brain cell can fly one. Why would anyone who purchases one of these want to join a club? So the can shoot fantastic video of nothing? They want "cool" video they can post on utube for the Oh Ah factor. Very, very few club sites offer that kind of scenery .
I see it every day the only quads we see at the field are the ones that our club members buy. Out of all the quads we have sold not one has showed at the field even though we invite them. There is no way these people will come into the fold there's no reason for them too anyone on that thinks that they will register them is dreaming. This whole thing is a exercise in futility.

Mike
Well what do U think is going to require any flying any R/C to be registered as an R/C pilot to operate any R/C Flying toys. Just the same as having a drivers license, motor cycle endorsement. carry permit, or anything the government requires a license to operate. Yes some no a lot of people drive with out a license but when caught suffer fines and possible jail time. Yess U can't stop everyone from flying with out being registered but U can prosecute them.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:19 PM
combatpigg

No exactly: AMA has a monopoly on the (secondary) insurance required by all RC Clubs and all events were I am all my friends can fly.
The AMA is indeed irrelevant in the kid's losing his eye dramatic incident, but the drone is 100% relevant.
The AMA is in fact irrelevant in any incident we keep reading about involving drones.
I fact the AMA is pretty irrelevant in the entire drone universe in general!
That is precisely why the Executive Council is misguided when positioning itself as being the proper channel of communication for the government to reach the drone (albeit "hobby drone") community, thereby exposing the Model Aviation community to all the negative attention the public, the media and the law maker can bring on. Yet this is exactly what Dave Mathewson did at the conference of the Committee on Transportation & Infrastructure hearing (watch the video, the term "drone was used extensively).

The drone are here to stay, yes! But we want this to be outside of the AMA.
Herve, you really are a great spokesman.Thanks.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:27 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by combatpigg
You can not seriously compare SELF INFLICTED wounds in the pursuit of getting your "
RC FIX" to anything like what happened to this poor child at the hands of some idiot who did not think about the possible consequences..?

Are you really that numb...?

Yep, the "Drone Movement Is Here, Better Get Used To It" folks couldn't find a better spokesman than you.

I wouldn't be surprised if you tried to delete your last post out of pure shame, but at this point only RC Ken will be able to do that for you.
Hey Piggy:
I was saying nothing more than the AMA normally does not report anything about accidents to AMA members in Model Aviation so why would they report on an accident in the UK ... U are just like most News Media just censachuiling for a graphic effect.. But I'll Just consider the source ... OINK

I won't even give u the satisfaction of answering the last part of an idiotic statement like the last one....
Old 12-02-2015, 04:27 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Originally Posted by GSAV8R
OK, BLO$ or AMA permitted FPV are all the $ame in public eye.Ju$t paged through December 2015 i$$ue of Model Aviation to find drone$. Found on 24 page$, thi$ include$ vendor ad$, etc. The pre$ident of AMA i$ holding one on page 6. AMA i$ a busine$$. It'$ all about money. And drone$ are a very big bu$$ine$$. They are here to $tay until big government can figure out a way to deal with. I am an old balsa builder/flyer fossil and don't have any interest in drones but feel strongly that those who do have just as much right to fly them as I have to fly my airplane models. Ju$t my opinion.
Can I fly that peg leg duck I got from you as well then?
Old 12-02-2015, 05:05 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey Piggy:
I was saying nothing more than the AMA normally does not report anything about accidents to AMA members in Model Aviation so why would they report on an accident in the UK ... U are just like most News Media just censachuiling for a graphic effect.. But I'll Just consider the source ... OINK

I won't even give u the satisfaction of answering the last part of an idiotic statement like the last one....
Hound , you should be ashamed of yourself to post an attack like that . I don't care which side of this discussion your on , your posts are downright rude and lead me to wonder if your really "pro drone" , or maybe actually "anti drone" and trying to make the rest of the drone population look bad with your boorish posts ?
Old 12-02-2015, 05:12 PM
combatpigg

Hey Piggy:

No, you are not going to squirm out of this one.
You COMPARED this girl losing her eye at the hands of a drone flyer to an AMA member who cuts his fingers.
This is definitely every bit as newsworthy to the AMA membership as when we've had members decapitated or when we've had serious injuries and property damage at major contests...like the pylon racing judge who was killed inside the safety cage.
You apologizing and making excuses for the AMA's lack of coverage is truly disgusting.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:23 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by combatpigg
No, you are not going to squirm out of this one.
You COMPARED this girl losing her eye at the hands of a drone flyer to an AMA member who cuts his fingers.
This is definitely every bit as newsworthy to the AMA membership as when we've had members decapitated or when we've had serious injuries and property damage at major contests...like the pylon racing judge who was killed inside the safety cage.
You apologizing and making excuses for the AMA's lack of coverage is truly disgusting.
Gimme a break U R just baiting any one U think might bite ... I just consider the source and move on ... sorry porky U ain't going to TROLL me. Now 19,338 Posts of little substance but to aggravate others. Got your Number. Sorry others are starting ignore U so shal I.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.