Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Who cares about $5 and a number, what's the next step?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Who cares about $5 and a number, what's the next step?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 12:22 AM
edgeflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who cares about $5 and a number, what's the next step?

I don't mind $5 or writing a number on the inside of my plane. The problem is what's next?
The AMA obviously has cast true flyers who have been with them for years to decades in favor of revenue from the modern "1/3.5 scale turbine fighter jet you can fly blindfold your first time out". They will make examples out of these rogue " drone" pilots, and when they have enough violators on file, they will be coming after real RC'rs at our fields. Then comes more speed and altitude regulations complete with tickets and model confiscation when our bigger planes can't realistically fly in their rediculous confines. It's been a good 30 years RC. I'm sure gonna miss you.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:36 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Just remember, you can vote out congress members and replace them with new people. They are employed by us and answer to us and therefore can be fired by us. It only takes people's voting to remove a threat and, by removing enough threats, the rest will start listening to us again
Old 12-15-2015, 04:40 PM
Tdaffy

I was very interested to s e that the D.O.T. is actually involved, and has language in the new rules. As someone who has worked within the regulations/compliance industry, I'm impressed by the lack of concern out there. Members are actually making statements about the unnecessary anxiety among the rc communities participants.
Make no mistake, and it is historically accurate, with more than enough evidence or precidence to point toward, that regulations and compliance standards NEVER get reduced. The are designed to feed themselves, and will feed well. Regardless of if you or I like it or not. "We are from the Government, and We are here to help."
They WILL increase the cost.
They WILL increase the standards of compliance.
They WILL increase the penalties.
They WILL increase the qualifying requirements.
Sounds funny now, but we'll probably see even Medical Qualification and certifications in the NEAR future.
Heck....even at this moment, we are paying for redundancy with membership in the AMA, and the FAA registrations. The language of both entities is relevant to each other. It's really too bad, and what's worse is the pile of historical reference and precedence which so clearly indicates exactly what direction this will go into. Write, write, write....call, call, call....but don't sit and say...."oh well, it's only 5 dollars". (OP, I understand your context by the way)
Old 12-15-2015, 05:06 PM
JimmyZep

More and more and more government control in our daily
private lives.

You can have my gun and my rc plane when you pry them from
my cold dead hands.

Jimmy
Old 12-15-2015, 07:58 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tdaffy
I was very interested to s e that the D.O.T. is actually involved, and has language in the new rules. As someone who has worked within the regulations/compliance industry, I'm impressed by the lack of concern out there. Members are actually making statements about the unnecessary anxiety among the rc communities participants.
Make no mistake, and it is historically accurate, with more than enough evidence or precidence to point toward, that regulations and compliance standards NEVER get reduced. The are designed to feed themselves, and will feed well. Regardless of if you or I like it or not. "We are from the Government, and We are here to help."
They WILL increase the cost.
They WILL increase the standards of compliance.
They WILL increase the penalties.
They WILL increase the qualifying requirements.
Sounds funny now, but we'll probably see even Medical Qualification and certifications in the NEAR future.
Heck....even at this moment, we are paying for redundancy with membership in the AMA, and the FAA registrations. The language of both entities is relevant to each other. It's really too bad, and what's worse is the pile of historical reference and precedence which so clearly indicates exactly what direction this will go into. Write, write, write....call, call, call....but don't sit and say...."oh well, it's only 5 dollars". (OP, I understand your context by the way)
Nobody is paying for any redundancy with the registrations, each serve a completely different purpose. And as of now, and for the next 3 years, there is not cost for registation.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:36 PM
Tdaffy

Originally Posted by porcia83
Nobody is paying for any redundancy with the registrations, each serve a completely different purpose. And as of now, and for the next 3 years, there is not cost for registation.
but....so do the FAA codes and rules weigh more importantly than AMA? If yes, then what's the point of the AMA membership/fees? If the FAA says I'm legal to fly...then who cares what the AMA thinks. If the FAA does NOT overrule the AMA, then what's the point in abiding with the FAA if my AMA membership excludes me from it?
Old 12-15-2015, 08:48 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by Tdaffy
but....so do the FAA codes and rules weigh more importantly than AMA? If yes, then what's the point of the AMA membership/fees? If the FAA says I'm legal to fly...then who cares what the AMA thinks. If the FAA does NOT overrule the AMA, then what's the point in abiding with the FAA if my AMA membership excludes me from it?
It's not about the weight of the codes and the rules.

You don't appear to be clear on what the FAA requires, and what the AMA provides. They are two different things. You need one, but not the other in order to legally "fly". Get the reg, then go off on your merry way to fly where and when you see fit. Want to fly at a AMA chartered field, better have your AMA card, if not you won't be flying there. As far as what the AMA provides, check out the site and the membership benefits. If you don't feel there is value in the AMA membership,don't get it. One of the biggest factors is the insurance, so if you have your own, great. The FAA however does not require or provide that.

Many people are not part of AMA and still fly and enjoy the hobby. More power to them if they are happy with, we all can't be land barons!
Old 12-16-2015, 04:59 AM
Tdaffy

Originally Posted by porcia83
It's not about the weight of the codes and the rules.

You don't appear to be clear on what the FAA requires, and what the AMA provides. They are two different things. You need one, but not the other in order to legally "fly". Get the reg, then go off on your merry way to fly where and when you see fit. Want to fly at a AMA chartered field, better have your AMA card, if not you won't be flying there. As far as what the AMA provides, check out the site and the membership benefits. If you don't feel there is value in the AMA membership,don't get it. One of the biggest factors is the insurance, so if you have your own, great. The FAA however does not require or provide that.

Many people are not part of AMA and still fly and enjoy the hobby. More power to them if they are happy with, we all can't be land barons!
i am being facetious Portia, but thank you for the response. I've been paying AMA dues for a long time, and fortunately have never had to, nor witnessed the need for anyone to use their liability protections and coverage. I think you're right though. Honestly. I can think of a number of "AMA chartered" fields, which on any given day, you can go to and count two or more pilots operating without a membership or number. Hell, I think the AMA did this to themselves. It's almost discriminatory at this point to be permitted by the government, yet not be permitted by a private organization. If we think that won't be an issue at some point, then we have been living under a rock all this time. Not saying I agree.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:39 AM
edgeflyer

The problem is we have officially opened our door to government control which means an endless timeline of restrictions and costs. And let's not kid ourselves that the FAA is not the government.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:34 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeflyer
I don't mind $5 or writing a number on the inside of my plane. The problem is what's next?
The AMA obviously has cast true flyers who have been with them for years to decades in favor of revenue from the modern "1/3.5 scale turbine fighter jet you can fly blindfold your first time out". They will make examples out of these rogue " drone" pilots, and when they have enough violators on file, they will be coming after real RC'rs at our fields. Then comes more speed and altitude regulations complete with tickets and model confiscation when our bigger planes can't realistically fly in their rediculous confines. It's been a good 30 years RC. I'm sure gonna miss you.
Personally, I do not know what the next step will be, but the one thing that I do know is that I would be definitely fearful of what is coming next !
Old 12-16-2015, 12:09 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Lets put the blame where it belongs, in the House in 2012.
FAA MODERNIZATION AND REFORM ACT OF2012 is where the language pertaining to Model aircraft is contained. Section 336 of this act specifically exempts model aircraft from regulation unless its being operated in a unsafe manner.
Fast forward to today where you have a Liberal Admin of the DOT and of the FAA. They chose to expand the language of the reform act to include model planes.
The challenge to this "expansion and necessity" can come from a court challenge in a Federal court.
I worked for a Fed Agency who also promulgated regulations. Some were stricken down as a result of the court. It happens.
Unless there is a special act of Congress forbidding the FAA from executing their new plan the court is the answer.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:18 PM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

AMA field a lawsuit against the FAA interpretive rule applying to Section 336 in 2014, that case has been stalled but now AMA may be able to motion for it to be heard on the grounds the registration requirement is indeed regulation of modelers belonging to a CBO, and in violation of Section 336. You are correct, Federal Agencies enforce laws through their regulations but they are not supposed to make rulings that circumvent the laws intent. Still David against Goliath but I agree the court is about the only hope left, and no guarantee AMA (and we) will win. CIE also states the FAA is in violation of the regulatory process by skipping required steps and hurrying the process. Hopefully they will file suit also. We can all appeal to our Congressmen but that is similar to peeing into the wind.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:25 PM
Sport_Pilot

You might see others joining the AMA in the suit now. The registration cost won't hurt sales that much, but the penalties in case you forget or its lost in the mail is pretty severe.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:01 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by BobH
Lets put the blame where it belongs, in the House in 2012.
FAA MODERNIZATION AND REFORM ACT OF2012 is where the language pertaining to Model aircraft is contained. Section 336 of this act specifically exempts model aircraft from regulation unless its being operated in a unsafe manner.
Fast forward to today where you have a Liberal Admin of the DOT and of the FAA. They chose to expand the language of the reform act to include model planes.
The challenge to this "expansion and necessity" can come from a court challenge in a Federal court.
I worked for a Fed Agency who also promulgated regulations. Some were stricken down as a result of the court. It happens.
Unless there is a special act of Congress forbidding the FAA from executing their new plan the court is the answer.
They didn't expand any language. All they are requiring is that you put a damn number in your toy. And that requirement has been there for over 50 years - they are just no longer ignoring it.
You guys are liking like spoiled brats.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:04 PM
BobH

RG, clearly you are ill informed. Maybe reading the bill passed in 2012 would be a good start towards education.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:18 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Originally Posted by rgburrill
They didn't expand any language. All they are requiring is that you put a damn number in your toy. And that requirement has been there for over 50 years - they are just no longer ignoring it.
Exactly! I read Section 336, and the FAA can LEGALLY require that model airplanes be registered, since they are classified as a remotely piloted AIRCRAFT. And if the FAA wants, they can require a license for ALL aircraft. Manned ultralights and hang gliders are the exception, because the FAA exempted them prior to 1981. However, they are STILL considered as vehicles.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:24 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
Exactly! I read Section 336, and the FAA can LEGALLY require that model airplanes be registered, since they are classified as a remotely piloted AIRCRAFT. And if the FAA wants, they can require a license for ALL aircraft. Manned ultralights and hang gliders are the exception, because the FAA exempted them prior to 1981. However, they are STILL considered as vehicles.
They are only classified as aircraft because an International treaty or agreement. We will have to see what the courts say about that.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:05 AM
edgeflyer

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Spoiled brats? If you read my post you would have seen that I don't care at all about the $5 or the number. It's people like you who can't see the forest for the trees. I could elaborate but won't go there. Ever heard of the lobster that was cooked starting with cool water and slowly heated? We are at about 100 degrees now.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:11 AM
edgeflyer

Here, I will save you the trouble of research which is obviously not your forte'
"I don't mind $5 or writing a number on the inside of my plane."
By the way, I have said my peace and do not intend to reply to you on this.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:44 AM
TimJ

The next step is requiring a pilot certificate.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:40 AM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We register our cars, RV's, guns, even AMA and now the items we use to enjoy it, even ourselves and the endless list, none of which has ever prevented the miss use of it by a minority of nit-wits. I don't see where it's going to solve any of the problems with the drones that started it all, those operators are not going to register their drones unless it's registered at time of purchase and purchaser will be held responsible for any miss use and damage caused by it regardless of the operator.

It's always the law abiding that pick up the tab for the rules made up by a bunch of idiots, FAA, AMA, ARA, CIA, you name it to regulate every thing while history has proven it doesn't stop the things that led to the ruling in the first place. Our flying club doesn't allow drones and choppers are not allowed in the air with fixed wing aircraft, they do not mix. We are all members of the AMA flying at a sanctioned air field insured in the event of an accident and the drone ***** holes don't even know we exist.

When the crap hit's the fan I could care less, I live in a place with a lot of hardly used paved country roads and will fly my planes with my buddies without the expense of the AMA or any freeking regulations.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:56 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TimJ
The next step is requiring a pilot certificate.

Already hold an " ATP " certificate / Airline Transport Pilot Certificate. Highest rating which is issued by the FAA.

Do you really think I need a " MAP - Model Airplane Pilot Certificate " ?

NOT !

Last edited by Granpooba; 12-17-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:25 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner
We register our cars, RV's, guns, even AMA and now the items we use to enjoy it, even ourselves and the endless list, none of which has ever prevented the miss use of it by a minority of nit-wits. I don't see where it's going to solve any of the problems with the drones that started it all, those operators are not going to register their drones unless it's registered at time of purchase and purchaser will be held responsible for any miss use and damage caused by it regardless of the operator.

It's always the law abiding that pick up the tab for the rules made up by a bunch of idiots, FAA, AMA, ARA, CIA, you name it to regulate every thing while history has proven it doesn't stop the things that led to the ruling in the first place. Our flying club doesn't allow drones and choppers are not allowed in the air with fixed wing aircraft, they do not mix. We are all members of the AMA flying at a sanctioned air field insured in the event of an accident and the drone ***** holes don't even know we exist.

When the crap hit's the fan I could care less, I live in a place with a lot of hardly used paved country roads and will fly my planes with my buddies without the expense of the AMA or any freeking regulations.
Who would ever register their Gun..?? Hell no, I have 15 or so guns, not one of them is registered...not a requirement in Texas, actually when you are born in Texas, they hand you a baby bottle and a .38 Special. That's mandatory issue...!!
Old 12-17-2015, 01:55 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
They are only classified as aircraft because an International treaty or agreement. We will have to see what the courts say about that.
It's my understanding that ratified treaties carry force of law at federal level. If USA signed and ratified a treaty that defines them as aircraft (which they did), and Congress gave authority to FAA/DOT to regulate aircraft (which they did), then stick a fork in it...it's done.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:57 PM
BobH

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
You must be reading something that isnt there?
What part of these words for exceptions do you not understand?

"SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.(a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other provision of lawrelating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into FederalAviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle,the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration maynot promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft,or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreationaluse;(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-basedset of safety guidelines and within the programmingof a nationwide community-based organization;(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unlessotherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection,flight test, and operational safety program administeredby a community-based organization; Etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.