Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Let's join together and refuse the FAA registration

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Let's join together and refuse the FAA registration

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The consent of the governed?!

I have but one thing to say, stealing the line from John Mellencamp:
"You gotta stand right up for somethin', or you'll fall for anything!"

This gyrene (there are no honorably discharged "ex-Marines" only Marines no longer on active duty)
says
SEMPER FI FOLKs
Americans are NOT a cowardly people.
I hope we never have to prove the point again.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:47 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffrey solomon
You may not know but, homeowners or renter's insurance for a large majority of carriers, will not cover you for accidents involving RC models.
Insurance companies deem model airplanes in the same category as full scale planes, guess they have taken the lead from the FAA.
So the information we have heard repeated for years and years, by the AMA and people who parrot what they are told with out investigating or
thinking just ain't so. So the AMA is the only policy to cover you.
Since the AMA has half-heartedly opposed the FAA yes that's right the AMA has been giving double talk, and streamlining the procedure.
They have never acted in a leadership role, they are equivocators and have played us for fools.

Like your statement
"
"this is a hobby and I am not betting my home and finances by flying without coverage." guess what ,if your field FAILS to pass AMA inspection
or the coverage is insufficient to mitigate damages, then you have and are betting you home and finances every time you fly you just were
asleep and didn't know, Check it out see if I am wrong.

We got a real bunch of fools in this hobby, they sound like they might have some brains but they are just arrogant.
How about when someone mentions legal action and the statement is made:

"YOU KNOW HOW MUCH IT COSTS TO SUE A GOVERNMENTAL AGENCY"

No, tell me genius ,how much does it cost to sue a governmental agency?
Do you know,,...$10,000,,50,000,,150,000 $1Million
no figures just talk that's what you hear.
Have you looked at the lawsuit brought by AMA with the firm of Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP. on 8/22/14
Well here it is How much do you think the research and preparation really cost?
If the AMA was charged more than $10,000 for the brief and court time we got ripped off.
Here it is the site:

https://www.aopa.org/-/media/Files/A...MApetition.pdf
case 14-1158 United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia

I was told another action more recently was started by the AMA.
Where is it? Can't find the District Court Number for any case in 2015 or 2016 ?

6 pages that's it
It looks like the pressure to register is not coming the FAA but more immediately, from our own clubs who, since there is no direction from the AMA have decided to fend for themselves and require members to register to avoid prooooooblllleeemmms.
Well thank the AMA at least they got the registration process

STREAMLINED

YEAH !!!!!
Please stop spreading this misinformation, you are incorrect regarding the insurance coverage. Either post up the specific policy language, or call and agent and get the correct information.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:49 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by porcia83
Please stop spreading this misinformation, you are incorrect regarding the insurance coverage. Either post up the specific policy language, or call and agent and get the correct information.
+1. Should be easy, I'd assume he has his own policy he can start with so it's not like he has to go far to find one.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:52 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Most homeowners insurance will not cover anything that did not happen on your property. Maybe in the past they did.
That is also incorrect, where are you coming up with this information? With extremely rare exception, the policies are ISO based, and have exact and similar language. Breaking a law is not solely a reason for a denial of coverage, nor does an act have to have occurred on your property to be covered.

If you have h/o coverage, take a look at your policy and you'll see neither of the two things you note are in there.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:18 AM
rcmiket

"if your field FAILS to pass AMA inspection"

The AMA does not "inspect fields". As a matter of fact they make "suggestions" as far as layout nothing more.

Mike
Old 01-21-2016, 05:29 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
"if your field FAILS to pass AMA inspection"

The AMA does not "inspect fields". As a matter of fact they make "suggestions" as far as layout nothing more.

Mike
+1. The amount of misinformation is getting ridiculous.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:30 AM
rcmiket

+1. The amount of misinformation is getting ridiculous.
Ya think?

Mike
Old 01-21-2016, 05:38 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Ya think?

Mike

One of my new favs.....H/O insurance considers your toy airplane the same as a real airplane.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:45 AM
Sport_Pilot

That is also incorrect, where are you coming up with this information? With extremely rare exception, the policies are ISO based, and have exact and similar language. Breaking a law is not solely a reason for a denial of coverage, nor does an act have to have occurred on your property to be covered.

If you have h/o coverage, take a look at your policy and you'll see neither of the two things you note are in there.
Maybe you should look at your policy, this was removed from many about a decade ago. My policy won't cover my wife's missing diamond that fell off her ring for example. But there are other issues than the place, but one of the things the insurance agent told my wife.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:57 AM
porcia83
Banned

What are you talking about...what was "removed" a decade ago. And now you're talking about a completely seperate issue with a diamond ring that has nothing to do with the other issue. Most jewelry should be scheduled via an endorsement, then it would be covered, but that's another discussion. Coverage's attach to place and person.

Again, show me the policy language that comports with what you are saying, otherwise it looks like you're just guessing.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:14 AM
STKNRUD

I did the research and asked the underwriter (not the agent). The written response I got (two years ago) was that coverage would not be provided if the "activity" violated any laws (unlawful) or was conducted on someone else's property without the property owners permission. Flying a model aircraft without registration is currently a violation of federal law...an unlawful activity. I suggest that everyone out there that considers themselves an expert on homeowners insurance (or the legitimacy of the FAA's ruling), do their own research and get a written statement from the underwriter as I did. All the "expert" opinions don't matter. If you have not determined it for a fact, as I did, you are throwing the dice and ultimately will have to hire an attorney to force your underwriter to pay if you are wrong or sue the FAA if you think they don't have the authority. Talk in this thread doesn't matter (including what I have shared). Determine for yourself...or don't. It is all about risk aversion and consequences if you are wrong. Over and out!
Old 01-21-2016, 07:19 AM
joancmigneault

If I have to register a model aircraft, I DEMAND an "N" number just like the big ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2016, 07:21 AM
joancmigneault

If I have to register a model aircraft, I DEMAND an "N" number!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2016, 07:25 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by joancmigneault
If I have to register a model aircraft, I DEMAND an "N" number!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your registering yourself not your air-frame. Put a N in front of your assigned number / letter combo if you like.

Mike
Old 01-21-2016, 07:35 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by STKNRUD
I did the research and asked the underwriter (not the agent). The written response I got (two years ago) was that coverage would not be provided if the "activity" violated any laws (unlawful) or was conducted on someone else's property without the property owners permission. Flying a model aircraft without registration is currently a violation of federal law...an unlawful activity. I suggest that everyone out there that considers themselves an expert on homeowners insurance (or the legitimacy of the FAA's ruling), do their own research and get a written statement from the underwriter as I did. All the "expert" opinions don't matter. If you have not determined it for a fact, as I did, you are throwing the dice and ultimately will have to hire an attorney to force your underwriter to pay if you are wrong or sue the FAA if you think they don't have the authority. Talk in this thread doesn't matter (including what I have shared). Determine for yourself...or don't. It is all about risk aversion and consequences if you are wrong. Over and out!
Kudos to you for going one step further and checking in with the UW, however they do not make the ultimate decision on coverage, claims examiners (sometimes with lawyers) do. Also it's not currently illegal to fly without a registration.

Many "illegal" acts are very much covered under the terms of a h/o or auto policy. If they weren't there would be far less reason to carry the coverage.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:51 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Well said. Home Owner's insurance doesn't pay claims for ignorance or stupidity. Well, I guess except in the case of medical insurance....

Last edited by Chris P. Bacon; 01-21-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:33 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Well said. Insurance companies don't pay claims for ignorance or stupidity. Well, I guess except in the case of medical insurance....
I think your statement Mr Bacon is incorrect. To a point.. Take automobile insurance they even cover your liability nomate what violation U are charged with after an accident thatwas clearly your fault. i.e. DUI/DWI run a red light w/ an accident.

Don't really know what My Home owners actually dose cover. I know a number of years ago I spoke to my agent and Suposedly I was covered flying Model air planes. I definitely will/am looking in to exactly for what I am covered for. I just talked to my agent and he seemed mor interested in the VALUE of my collection and the size of the toys. I explicitly reiterated I would like more info on the Liability side. It can't hurt to be well informed.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:44 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog

Don't really know what My Home owners actually dose cover. I know a number of years ago I spoke to my agent and Suposedly I was covered flying Model air planes. I definitely will/am looking in to exactly for what I am covered for. I just talked to my agent and he seemed mor interested in the VALUE of my collection and the size of the toys. I explicitly reiterated I would like more info on the Liability side. It can't hurt to be well informed.
I've heard some modelers get personal umbrella policies. Thought about looking into it, but never did. Be curious to know how much they run.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:47 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Allstate PUP.

https://www.allstate.com/resources/a.../final-pup.pdf
Old 01-21-2016, 08:49 AM
Sport_Pilot

Flying a model aircraft without registration is currently a violation of federal law...
Registering your model is against the law. But it does comply with FAA's new regulation. Regulation is not law.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:49 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog

I think your statement Mr Bacon is incorrect. To a point.. Take automobile insurance they even cover your liability nomate what violation U are charged with after an accident thatwas clearly your fault. i.e. DUI/DWI run a red light w/ an accident.

The agent is typically not going to (nor should he/she really) go into explicit detail about what you are and what you are not covered for. That's the claims department's job to do after the fact. Most are careful about doing that as it might bind the carrier to this. They typically speak in generalities. Your agent is interested in the value of your collection as you are typically limited in coverage. He probably wants to offer you a rider or endorsement to make sure you are covered. Many times people complain after the fact when they have a loss and only get paid a certain amount (their coverage limit). Some feel they have "full coverage" when there really is no such thing, and you can't really blame them for not reading every policy term and condition.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:59 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Costs will vary, but if you own any property or have other assets it's well worth the money. Typically a PUP will run in the low $200-$400 range, and that's for $1,000,000 in coverage. Keep in mind that sits on top of the H/O coverage which usually has to be at at least 250/500 limits, or 300 combined single limits. Like any other insurance it's about peace of mind. You never expect to be in an accident, and certainly not one where you cause a tanker truck hauling oil to crash into a Greyhound bus full of people, injuring many, then having the crude oil truck leak it's content into a reservoir filled with a cities drinking water. On Christmas day too. Damage control and remediation costs alone well into the hundreds of thousands of dollars, let alone the damage to property or person. It's rare, but these similar kinds of things happen everyday. And people and companies don't just go away when your coverage limits are reached.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:07 AM
jmiles1941

We understand there are AMA members who do not have a computer or do not want to submit a credit card during the application process. We discussed with the FAA the use of a paper application, which currently is only available at local FAA Flight Standards Ditrict Offices (FSDO). To make these paper applications easier to obtain, AMA is working to acquire these documents, which we can send to members who request them. As for members who are willing to register online, but cannot or do not want to submit credit card information, the FAA has agreed to accept gift credit cards such as Visa or Mastercard.
For those clubs that own a model aircraft as an organization and not as an individual, we requested clarification as to how to register the model. We concluded that those models should be registered under the registration of one of the club leaders. To protect that club leader who voluntarily placed his number in or on the club aircraft, the member should have a written document from the club indicating he or she should not be held responsible and is simply providing a registration number on behalf of the club.
Finally, there is confusion around whether members register themselves or their aircraft. Members register themselves and place their number in or on their aircraft.
At the end of our meeting with the FAA, we invited FAA representatives to join the AMA leadership at a nearby flying site to showcase firsthand AMA’s safety protocols, demonstrate club camaraderie and mentoring, and provide the opportunity for the FAA to speak with AMA members in-person.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:28 AM
jeffrey solomon

That's is right no homeowners policy will cover for accidents at the flying field (or too few to be a statistic)

yet, you will hear the highly uninformed repeating it like it is a friggin mantra

Homeowners is primary !, Homeowner is primary !

Hari Krishna , Krishna, Krishan,,Hari, Hari.

These guys need to feel important and all they do is spread misinformation,

Hopefully more people will get wise and look into alternatives to the AMA insurance.

Commercial drone insurance for a business is $1500/year I would hazard a guess that non-commercial

would be substantially cheaper.

I think we are coming to a parting of the ways with the AMA
Old 01-21-2016, 09:54 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by jeffrey solomon
That's is right no homeowners policy will cover for accidents at the flying field (or too few to be a statistic)

yet, you will hear the highly uninformed repeating it like it is a friggin mantra

Homeowners is primary !, Homeowner is primary !

Hari Krishna , Krishna, Krishan,,Hari, Hari.

These guys need to feel important and all they do is spread misinformation,

Hopefully more people will get wise and look into alternatives to the AMA insurance.

Commercial drone insurance for a business is $1500/year I would hazard a guess that non-commercial

would be substantially cheaper.

I think we are coming to a parting of the ways with the AMA
You continue to spread misinformation, you are absolutely incorrect about what a h/o policy will cover. It doesn't appear you are really educated as to what insurance coverage is there for, or how it's applied. You were wrong about the AMA inspecting fields too. Please do your due diligence before you write stuff like this. Also speak for yourself in terms of parting with the AMA, you do what you want, others will make their own decision. As for alternatives to the AMA, feel free to point them out. The "wise" ones know there is no alternative and for the most part will do nothing to change that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.