Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA Reauthorization 2016 AIRR - 2016

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA Reauthorization 2016 AIRR - 2016

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 04:55 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mongo
bob,
if it is turbine powered it has to be AMA wavered, no matter the weight.
Where does it say that? I've been looking and can't find it in anything that isn't an AMA document.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:41 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Absolutely! Membership dollars are worth billions!
The 19.8% drop in "...membership dues" (IRS 990's in constant 2013 dollars over period 2007 to 2013) amounts to $1,712,709 loss - ample motivation for an organization to try and use law to make it difficult for competitors.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:14 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
The 19.8% drop in "...membership dues" (IRS 990's in constant 2013 dollars over period 2007 to 2013) amounts to $1,712,709 loss - ample motivation for an organization to try and use law to make it difficult for competitors.
So where's the surprise? Aging membership, poor economy, high unemployment, low consumer confidence. The AMA is certainly not alone in shrinking revenue. However, it certainly does justify the free youth memberships.

Which laws are specific to the AMA?
Old 02-06-2016, 06:32 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
"or example, would include groups such as the Academy of Model Aeronautics and others that meet the statutory definition"

As a example, I guess that's something.

Mike
yes. Since a group "size" isn't defined anyplace in FAA documents that I've seen, the "example" cited simply gives a "group" the requirement to meet the statutory law of the FAA's definition.
So, I have a group of two fellers who use the AMA "programming" as a guide for our "group", and we work to help maintain and develop flying site(s), so I think we're a CBO, just not officially listed (which process by the FAA isn't yet defined, as how, when, what documents required, etc. to "be" a recognized CBO, other than the requirement to meet the statutes.

We're good, I think.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:55 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Bob Pastorello
yes. Since a group "size" isn't defined anyplace in FAA documents that I've seen, the "example" cited simply gives a "group" the requirement to meet the statutory law of the FAA's definition.
So, I have a group of two fellers who use the AMA "programming" as a guide for our "group", and we work to help maintain and develop flying site(s), so I think we're a CBO, just not officially listed (which process by the FAA isn't yet defined, as how, when, what documents required, etc. to "be" a recognized CBO, other than the requirement to meet the statutes.

We're good, I think.

There ya go. These guys are one also and should be mentioned as a example by the FAA.

http://www.dontflystupid.org/

Mike
Old 02-06-2016, 07:05 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

There ya go. These guys are one also and should be mentioned as a example by the FAA.

http://www.dontflystupid.org/

Mike
We don't have a slick website, and don't want one.
Although the overall concept of "Don't Fly Stupid" is pretty dam good and simple to follow.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:12 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Bob Pastorello
We don't have a slick website, and don't want one.
Although the overall concept of "Don't Fly Stupid" is pretty dam good and simple to follow.
Our clubs one and only rule is

"Don't do anything stupid"

It's worked for 40 years. I will add AMA Safety Rules apply but our rule seems to cover all the bases.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 02-06-2016 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:40 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by franklin_m

More of the same, always the negative perspective. No other data that might show say, an increase in membership numbers, or additional revenue from hosting events at Muncie, or increased revenue from advertising or affinity marketing programs, or investment income, or efficiency gains in other areas of operation.

I can't see one affirmative or proactive action or position that the AMA has taken to make it difficult for any competitors. The simple reality is they are THE only group out there doing what they do. Nobody can touch them, either our of sheer laziness, lack of vision, or lack of whatever you want to call it. Heck, forget all the other benefits the membership affords us, nobody can even get something close to the insurance program they have, the premiums for that alone would be double or even triple what the dues are.

Oh wait...I might stand corrected, I do recall someone mentioning another program in the works...but it's "invite only" and very hush hush. Something smells pretty bad about that...time will tell!
Old 02-06-2016, 12:43 PM
porcia83
Banned

Our clubs one and only rule is

"Don't do anything stupid"

It's worked for 40 years. I will add AMA Safety Rules apply but our rule seems to cover all the bases.

Mike
4 simple words, a great example of the KISS mantra (keep it simple stupid") put into play.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:30 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
More of the same, always the negative perspective. No other data that might show say, an increase in membership numbers, or additional revenue from hosting events at Muncie, or increased revenue from advertising or affinity marketing programs, or investment income, or efficiency gains in other areas of operation.
Good point, let's look at the numbers shall we? (all in constant 2013 dollars):[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="align: left"][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[TABLE="class: grid, width: 700"]
[TR]
[TD]IRS 990
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2007-2013 % Change[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Net change in 2013 Dollars[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Gifts, grants , contributions, and membership fees received (Do not include any " unusual grants ")[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]-19.8%
[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]-$1,712,709
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Gross receipts from admissions, merchandise sold or services performed , or facilities furnished in any activity that is related to the organization ' s tax-exempt purpose[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]17.2%[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]$74,903[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Gross income from interest, dividends, payments received on securities loans, rents, royalties, and income from similar sources[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]-59.2%[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]-$381,003
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Unrelated business taxable income (less section 511 taxes) from businesses acquired after June 30, 1975[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]971.4%[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]$207,406[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Change in Total Support, 2007 - 2013
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]-18.5%[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]-$1,811,403
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

The 2011, 2012, and 2013 IRS 990 expense data goes back only to 2010. In fairness, in constant 2013 dollars, AMA has cut expenses by $199,445. Unfortunately that is dwarfed by change in total support.

Last edited by franklin_m; 02-06-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:31 PM
speed20
My Feedback: (31)

Believe me , you don't want privatized ATC here with a governing board comprised of mostly airline and commercial operaters with deep pockets dictating what is prioritized and what is not , mainly to appease the airlines and squash the little guy flying light aircraft and or RC aircraft. I knew our great hobby would be ruined by the non AMA masses( or delete the letter M ) irresponsibly flying drones.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:43 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by speed20
Believe me , you don't want privatized ATC here with a governing board comprised of mostly airline and commercial operaters with deep pockets dictating what is prioritized and what is not , mainly to appease the airlines and squash the little guy flying light aircraft and or RC aircraft. I knew our great hobby would be ruined by the non AMA masses( or delete the letter M ) irresponsibly flying drones.
Thats what we have now!
Old 02-07-2016, 09:43 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Thats what we have now!
How do u figure Nothing has changed who has told U U can't fly at your Local AMA Field ... U don't fly anywhere else anyway. Privation puts the Big wigs of aviation and they will not only devastate R/C but it will be the death knell of GA too. GA is way doen for many reasons Privitation and those that would have the Power will Kill it.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:59 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
No worries my Friend , I would never blast a man for stating what he believes he's seeing .

I will second your thought that our organization is attempting to force membership in order to get the CBO exemption , and one needs to look no further than the language regarding models over 55 pounds . As written now , in order to be legal according to the FAA , an over 55 pounder must be AMA certified . And the AMA won't certify a non members aircraft .So for now , anything over 55 pounds MUST be owned by an AMA member in order to get the FAA's approval to be allowed to fly . At what point will it become mandatory for ALL models to be flown by CBO members only ?

[snip]
Let me just clear up a mis-conception about Large Model Aircraft (over 55 lbs.) certification. The AMA DOES NOT certify LMAs. They produce the rules by which LMAs are certified, but it is AMA MEMBERS, like myself, who are LMA inspectors or CDs, who certify LMAs.

Personally, I'm willing to take on the responsibility of certifying an LMA under the umbrella of the AMA for an AMA member. I am NOT willing to take on the liability and responsibility for someone who is not an AMA member. Its not necessarily because I want to force someone to pay the $75/year for AMA membership, but because if I get hauled into court on a case of an aircraft that I certified (under AMA rules), I want the AMA in court with me...

Bob

Last edited by rhklenke; 02-09-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:12 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by HoundDog

How do u figure Nothing has changed who has told U U can't fly at your Local AMA Field ... U don't fly anywhere else anyway. Privation puts the Big wigs of aviation and they will not only devastate R/C but it will be the death knell of GA too. GA is way doen for many reasons Privitation and those that would have the Power will Kill it.
We have commercial operators dictating what is prioritized. That is what we have now. GA gets ignored and remains and unsafe and expensive ******* of the aviation industry.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:13 AM
Sport_Pilot

Ok why is that word banned. It is simply an illegitimate child. I see nothing vulgar about that.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:47 AM
porcia83
Banned

What purpose does it serve to put the word in a family friendly site/thread....no need to use it other than your own need. Use another phrase.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:49 AM
Sport_Pilot

It is family friendly!
Old 02-09-2016, 10:52 AM
TimJ

Boy is this thread is filled with a bunch of rubbish. People refuse to read the facts and construed numbers.

Anytime any presents the facts in this forum, many of you choose to not read or believe the facts in front of you.

Silent, you are wasting your time.

Last edited by TimJ; 02-09-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:12 PM
HoundDog

We have commercial operators dictating what is prioritized. That is what we have now. GA gets ignored and remains and unsafe and expensive ******* of the aviation industry.
Privatization will all but eliminate GA period, Along with Model aviation as we know it.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:22 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

TimJ, facts and numbers don't support certain viewpoints and therefore must be ignored.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:25 PM
HoundDog

It is family friendly!
LOL=LOL backwards

or
707 Down side Up

Are U kidding me? Just how many kids and wives do we have commenting here?

This is about as much family oriented as a Dog, Piggy and Pony Show!
Old 02-09-2016, 03:27 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

LOL=LOL backwards

or
707 Down side Up

Are U kidding me? Just how many kids and wives do we have commenting here?

This is about as much family oriented as a Dog, Piggy and Pony Show!
Oink, oink.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:30 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by TimJ
Boy is this thread is filled with a bunch of rubbish. People refuse to read the facts and construed numbers.

Anytime any presents the facts in this forum, many of you choose to not read or believe the facts in front of you.

Silent, you are wasting your time.
Now Now Timmy ... U apologize to Good P'l Silent Avi.. Shake hands and giv'em a kiss like in Kinder garden. Remember?

Dogs Ruel
a little more than just INCOMING.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:36 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Privatization will all but eliminate GA period, Along with Model aviation as we know it.
If sky-high fuel prices a few years ago didn't eliminate GA privatization certainly won't. Airport fees seem to be their biggest issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.