Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

I'm flying within 5 miles of an airport

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

I'm flying within 5 miles of an airport

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 09:17 AM
philakapd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm flying within 5 miles of an airport

My family has a farm (approximately 1 square mile) in northern Michigan where I spend many days flying .40 size and smaller fixed wing aircraft. I downloaded the "B4UFly" FAA application to my smartphone and used the planning mode. "Warning - Action Required; you are within 5 miles of an airport. By Law, you must notify the airport operator and the air traffic control tower (if one is present) of your flight."

Google Maps indicates my runway line is 4.8 miles from the center runway of the full scale airport. The full scale airport is a seasonal, 3500' grass runway, no hangars and does not have a control tower. There are homes and condos located on either side of the runway.

It is uncommon to see full scale aircraft in the area of our farmland, just the occasional Pawnee crop duster a few times annually.

I contacted the airpark manager and described my location along with a description of the aircraft I fly. The airpark manager was very kind and actually laughed because I contacted him regarding the status of my location and his airport. I asked him if I needed to contact him every time I will be airborne. He chuckled again and said "no thank you, fly anytime without contacting me." Apparently he doesn't want me calling him every other day in the summer .

It wasn't difficult to contact the airpark manager and notify him of my intentions of flying. Now, I'm covered regarding the FAA rule to contact the airport operator, FOREVER! Now, I need to remember to place the FAA UAS Cert stickers on all of my models, some are tucked away and collecting dust. If I'm flying electric motor, can I place the UAS Cert stickers on all of my LiPo packs?

Here's a pic of the airstrip:

Clear Skies to All!

-PD
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	2153839  

Last edited by philakapd; 03-23-2016 at 10:08 AM. Reason: change verbage
Old 03-23-2016, 09:44 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Great job, but you don't need to have their permission to fly.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:11 AM
philakapd

Originally Posted by porcia83
Noted and changed the wording, thanks!
I called to contact the airpark manager and notify of my intensions and flying schedule.

Thanks
Old 03-23-2016, 10:45 AM
porcia83
Banned

Wonder if that place would ever entertain hosting a fly in? Wow what a nice piece of land!
Old 03-23-2016, 10:59 AM
philakapd

Wonder if that place would ever entertain hosting a fly in? Wow what a nice piece of land!
I never considered asking to fly anywhere else. Not too many modelers in the area.

Red line = runway (short grass).

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	2153856  
Old 03-23-2016, 11:05 AM
Sport_Pilot

But that may change so he is covered.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:20 AM
porcia83
Banned

Yes, and the world may end tomorrow too.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:20 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by philakapd
I never considered asking to fly anywhere else. Not too many modelers in the area.

Red line = runway (short grass).

Nice...so much green grass, so few hills and trees!
Old 03-23-2016, 11:35 AM
philakapd

Mostly soy being planted on flat, graded soil. I have a grass runway. There are two trees on the back side. My Alpha sport found one of the trees a few years back, I was perplexed I put it in the tree during a landing. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

p.s. Got it out of the tree using 1 front end loader and 1 brother-in-law. Only my ego was damaged.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:21 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The FAA registration number can be any place on the model as long as it can be viewed without using any tools. Dan
Old 03-23-2016, 05:48 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family has a farm (approximately 1 square mile) in northern Michigan where I spend many days flying .40 size and smaller fixed wing aircraft. I downloaded the "B4UFly" FAA application to my smartphone and used the planning mode. "Warning - Action Required; you are within 5 miles of an airport. By Law, you must notify the airport operator and the air traffic control tower (if one is present) of your flight."

Google Maps indicates my runway line is 4.8 miles from the center runway of the full scale airport. The full scale airport is a seasonal, 3500' grass runway, no hangars and does not have a control tower. There are homes and condos located on either side of the runway.

It is uncommon to see full scale aircraft in the area of our farmland, just the occasional Pawnee crop duster a few times annually.

I contacted the airpark manager and described my location along with a description of the aircraft I fly. The airpark manager was very kind and actually laughed because I contacted him regarding the status of my location and his airport. I asked him if I needed to contact him every time I will be airborne. He chuckled again and said "no thank you, fly anytime without contacting me." Apparently he doesn't want me calling him every other day in the summer .

It wasn't difficult to contact the airpark manager and notify him of my intentions of flying. Now, I'm covered regarding the FAA rule to contact the airport operator, FOREVER! Now, I need to remember to place the FAA UAS Cert stickers on all of my models, some are tucked away and collecting dust. If I'm flying electric motor, can I place the UAS Cert stickers on all of my LiPo packs?

Here's a pic of the airstrip:

Clear Skies to All!

-PD
Nice work, arranging a permanent approval like that is the best way to go.

I was in the US recently and called a few airports (including a hospital heliport) and they all had no issue with me flying RC.

A very easy process really, I got the airport codes from the FAA's B4UFly App and then searched for contact numbers here: http://www.airport-data.com

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	358.1 KB
ID:	2153919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-01-24 at 1.28.32 am.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	2153920  

Last edited by Rob2160; 03-23-2016 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:25 AM
philakapd

Originally Posted by All Day Dan
The FAA registration number can be any place on the model as long as it can be viewed without using any tools. Dan
Thanks Dan, I know about accessing the information without tools. I didn't know if the information had to be permanently affixed to the aircraft or if it could be attached to accessories. This will make it pretty easy for my electric fixed wings. I already have the UAS stickers made up, I'll place them on all of my LiPos. I will place them in the fuselage too, I just need to remember!

-PD
Old 03-24-2016, 05:45 AM
philakapd

Originally Posted by Rob2160

I was in the US recently and called a few airports (including a hospital heliport) and they all had no issue with me flying RC.

A very easy process really, I got the airport codes from the FAA's B4UFly App and then searched for contact numbers here: http://www.airport-data.com

Good day Rob,

Your scenario is almost identical to mine regarding full scale airport locations. I was aware of a "landing strip" a few miles down the road from my farm, but I had no idea it was registered as an approved airport until I used the B4UFly App. I created this thread to encourage pilots to try the App and perhaps gain some additional information they may otherwise did not have knowledge of. I'm not happy about some of the regulations set forth on radio control, but I will abide by them and show the public not all "DRONES" are creating havoc to the public. I don't own a quad, but some people who are not familiar with radio control fixed wing aircraft think I'm flying drones. That's okay, I don't take it personally or respond negatively. If it fly's, I'm interested. I answer questions and explain the differences of models to them and they enjoy learning about this great hobby. It wasn't too long thereafter, my brother-in-law, a few cousins and one uncle decided to take up the hobby. My uncle is already into the jet scene. Too rich for my blood (cost and speed), but he really enjoys it.

Rob, I've been reading you posts for years. Thank you for all of the positive information you provide to the community.

Clear skies!

-PD
Old 03-25-2016, 11:20 AM
porcia83
Banned

Good day Rob,

Your scenario is almost identical to mine regarding full scale airport locations. I was aware of a "landing strip" a few miles down the road from my farm, but I had no idea it was registered as an approved airport until I used the B4UFly App. I created this thread to encourage pilots to try the App and perhaps gain some additional information they may otherwise did not have knowledge of. I'm not happy about some of the regulations set forth on radio control, but I will abide by them and show the public not all "DRONES" are creating havoc to the public. I don't own a quad, but some people who are not familiar with radio control fixed wing aircraft think I'm flying drones. That's okay, I don't take it personally or respond negatively. If it fly's, I'm interested. I answer questions and explain the differences of models to them and they enjoy learning about this great hobby. It wasn't too long thereafter, my brother-in-law, a few cousins and one uncle decided to take up the hobby. My uncle is already into the jet scene. Too rich for my blood (cost and speed), but he really enjoys it.

Rob, I've been reading you posts for years. Thank you for all of the positive information you provide to the community.

Clear skies!

-PD
+1, especially the part about Rob's comments.

The app is pretty cool, I know of several club in my area that used it immediately to double check information they previously thought was correct, only to find not so much. It also may help those folks that don't belong to a club and perhaps have the ability to fly in open places that they might not have realized where now subject to these rules.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:33 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by Rob2160

Good job!
Old 09-07-2016, 02:37 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

You might want to check out the latest issue of "MAN". Franklin has a really nice article in it giving guidelines on the what, where and hows of how to talk to the airport in question so that there are no misunderstandings while talking to the powers that be of that airport
Old 09-07-2016, 03:34 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
You might want to check out the latest issue of "MAN". Franklin has a really nice article in it giving guidelines on the what, where and hows of how to talk to the airport in question so that there are no misunderstandings while talking to the powers that be of that airport
Hi Hydro junkie , If my situation was like the OP's was , I would do everything he did and one more step . I'd make sure to get the name of the airport manager I spoke with so if there ever were any questions I could say "It was airport manager John Smith who said I don't need to call him again" .
Old 09-07-2016, 06:49 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

And I don't have an issue with that. Just saying Franklin has an article out that goes over all the information that you can be asked by the airport and how to communicate the answers to the airport personnel.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:21 AM
philakapd

Originally Posted by init4fun
hi hydro junkie , if my situation was like the op's was , i would do everything he did and one more step . I'd make sure to get the name of the airport manager i spoke with so if there ever were any questions i could say "it was airport manager john smith who said i don't need to call him again" .
I documented the phone call. I have the managers name, address, telephone number and the date of the conversation. I also have this dated thread.

I'm very familiar with Franklin, but I DO NOT KNOW what "MAN" is.

Thanks.

-PD

Last edited by philakapd; 09-08-2016 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Asking a question...
Old 09-08-2016, 06:26 AM
franklin_m

Essentially correct, but a more precise way to phrase it would be to say that "So long as they do not object, you can fly."

That was part of the research for the NOV MAN article, the FAA has told airports/towers not to use words like "approved" etc. They have however said that if the airport objects, and the operator flies anyway, they would interpret that as "endangering the NAS."
Old 09-08-2016, 06:29 AM
franklin_m

Here's the sample notification card I made ... and a sample if anyone want's to use it.

The cards themselves are sized for 5x7 index cards, although the PDF puts them in the center of an 8.5x11 paper.

- Frank
Attached Thumbnails Sample Notification Card.pdf  
Old 09-08-2016, 06:34 AM
franklin_m

I documented the phone call. I have the managers name, address, telephone number and the date of the conversation. I also have this dated thread.

I'm very familiar with Franklin, but I DO NOT KNOW what "MAN" is.

Thanks.

-PD

Model Airplane News....here's the cover of November issue where you can find the article "Keep it Legal"

Name:	Keep it Legal MAN 201611.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	525.7 KB
ID:	2180164  
Old 09-08-2016, 06:47 AM
philakapd

LOL, I've had the magazine for more than 20 years and never realized "MAN". Unfortunately for me, I'm not as smart as I used to be. Children can do that to a person.

Thanks for the .PDF!!!

-PD
Old 09-08-2016, 06:49 AM
Silent-AV8R

AOPA put out a nice summary as well a few months ago:

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...tion-automated

https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/aircraft...ear-an-airport

FWIW, I fly regularly at a location within 3 miles of two very busy GA airports (KCNO & KAJO), one of them with a tower (CNO). THey know we are there, and in fact our field is depicted on the TAC for the region. Happy and safe coexistence!!
Old 09-08-2016, 06:51 AM
franklin_m

LOL, I've had the magazine for more than 20 years and never realized "MAN". Unfortunately for me, I'm not as smart as I used to be. Children can do that to a person.

Thanks for the .PDF!!!

-PD
I'm on a business trip right now, but ironically my wife said my copy hasn't arrived yet!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.