Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA Insider calls for CHANGE. VP running for President supports TRADITIONAL MODELLERS

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Insider calls for CHANGE. VP running for President supports TRADITIONAL MODELLERS

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 07:25 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Stay focused on those that didn't redeem the membership as that appears to fir the continued narrative, meanwhile over 60,000 poured into the AMA coffers from this magically FREE membership.
Depends on what one considers worthy of focus I guess. To me, making a quick 60K is just a flash in the pants and it is more important to focus on those that did not want to convert and why, because ultimately, the ideal would be to sustainably grow the ranks with active members who are drawn to the organization because they WANT to, not because they were offered a free membership.

Maybe I am weird.

Regards,

Astro
Old 08-17-2016, 07:25 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by astrohog
Labeling something, "good" or "bad", "right" or "wrong" is highly subjective. The AMA was originally founded by modelers, for modelers and has largely operated that way since its inception until recent years. When an organizations purpose is to serve its members and to allow them to enjoy, share and further their hobby, it seems rather desperate and counter-intuitive to have to "buy" new membership in order to stay alive. When the focus of an organization ls to simply grow its ranks by any means, it tends to lose focus on its original intent and core membership. I believe that is exactly what is happening now, hence some of its members starting to be more vocal and voice their concerns. These are the members that you have labeled "anti-AMA" and "haters".

Again, the AMA is a by modelers, for modelers organization. If times have changed and there are not enough modelers left to stay solvent, then so be it, there have been lots of organizations that have become extinct due to losing their relevancy as times change. By reaching out and having to beg, buy (pay to acquire), lure (offer "free" and convenient membership to drone buyers) and use their CBO status as a sole reason to join its ranks, it is only alienating itself from its core members and will only serve to further dilute and divide its membership and will become weaker, not stronger. Strength is not solely based on sheer numbers. A strong organization is a unified an passionate organization regardless of sheer numbers (ever see the movie Braveheart?). We have discussed the apathy within our ranks (one thing that I think we actually all agree on) as witnessed by low voter turnout, lack of knowledge about our own organization and its inner workings (by-laws, election protocol, Model Aviation day, etc.). By buying, enticing, or otherwise simply acquiring membership that it will actually be a stronger, healthier organization. I believe that it should instead focus its attention on serving their existing members, a large percentage of which have been members for many decades. How long an organization keeps its members is a much better barometer than how many members it has.

So, as you can see, it is not as simple as making the blanket statement, "Is it wrong to seek new membership".

Regards,

Astro
I agree with some of that, but you have also applied a subjective component there as well in noting what you think the AMA has done.

The org is still functioning on behalf of its members.."modelers" of all types, and will continue to do so. It's doubtful the ama is just going to sit back and let itself disappear from relevance because a small fraction of its current (and rapidly aging) membership wants to wax philosophic about the good old days (my characterization by the way).

I would say they need to continue to evolve and adapt just as their members have. Had they stated "true" to their initial charter and purpose, we'd all be chasing free flight models around our fields.

I have no problem with them casting a wide net and trying to be creative about how to gather new members, in fact I expect this from them. Not doing so is simply not an option.

Incidentally I don't see ant suggestions as to how to grow the membership the "right" way, just the usual complaints after the fact about what they did. Outside of "ban the drones"...I'm not hearing much.

Finally, and again, I haven't seen a single complaint raised on the membership initiatives by any member of the EC group, only from one now that he's running for office. I have to wonder why that is.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:33 AM
porcia83
Banned

Depends on what one considers worthy of focus I guess. To me, making a quick 60K is just a flash in the pants and it is more important to focus on those that did not want to convert and why, because ultimately, the ideal would be to sustainably grow the ranks with active members who are drawn to the organization because they WANT to, not because they were offered a free membership.

Maybe I am weird.

Regards,

Astro
We're doing good here today so I will not talk about flashing, pants, or weirdness, lol.

Yes, I guess you're righ, it makes a difference what our focus is. If it cost the AMA nothing and the got new members and a revenue stream, what is the downside. OK, they all quit, but will that really happen? Better to have had something then nothing right? If they can't retain a single person than shame on the ama for not providing some measure of value to its members, or just as bad, not showing folks what the valuation proposition is to folks.

But again, if people aren't interested in what used to be popular, do we sit by and say oh well, time for the AMA to go bye bye?
Old 08-17-2016, 07:50 AM
Sport_Pilot

I have no problem with them casting a wide net and trying to be creative about how to gather new members, in fact I expect this from them. Not doing so is simply not an option.
Yes, and most initiatives usually cost them money, in this case, even if you consider it a failed attempt, they made over 60K.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:53 AM
porcia83
Banned

Still BAD, lol.

I thought the $6.00 price for Google leads was interesting, have no idea how that's calculated, not sure if I thought it would be more or less than that figure
Old 08-17-2016, 07:55 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I am weird.

Regards,

Astro

Not weird by any standard just looking at it as it should be.

Mike
Old 08-17-2016, 08:23 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I think my statement below was misunderstood by a few commenters. Either that, or it was understood and no one decided to actually respond to what I said. So I'll assume the former and try to clarify.

My point was that if the AMA wants to draw from the exploding MR population (a wise move if it wants to survive beyond this generation), it has to offer them something that makes the membership dues a worthwhile investment. The AMA will have to do something that it hasn't really needed to do for about 40 years, which is to think like an entrepreneur.
Think about how the AMA first started. You had little boys buying balsa wood and glue at the hardware store to build replicas of planes they saw in books or in person. So some wise enthusiast decided to form an organization to bring all of those enthusiasts together. But boys, being kinda weak in the area of budget, need to see value in that investment. So the AMA gave them modeling tips and product reviews in its publication, organized competition events, and helped local clubs get formed. So being an AMA member meant being able to learn more about modeling and able to participate in contests along with some of one's money going toward promoting the hobby. It also gave them an identity by connecting them with other modelers. That was all worth paying for. But with the MR crowd, the AMA has largely forgotten to sit down and work out what they will provide to them if they join. That's why I suggested above being a center for education and competition, because that's what tends to bring enthusiast communities of all kinds together. As it is though, the MR crowd is largely disinterested in the AMA because really all the AMA offers to them is government lobbying and advocacy. Oh wait, I forgot. The AMA has largely disavowed connection to the MR crowd in statements it has made to the FAA, being openly critical to that segment of the hobby and the way they enjoy their machines. So I guess it's not offering representation to the government for their interests either.
So my whole point was that if the AMA wants the MR crowd to join and pay dues (and they'd be fools not to want that), the organization has to provide something to them. I think inclusive government representation is a start, but if the AMA is to establish any real presence in the MR hobby they need to play catch up and start putting together some ways to provide real value to those pilots. If AMA history is any indicator, they won't. The entrepreneurial spirit has been gone from this organization for a long time as the leadership has opted instead to let someone else have the big creative ideas and then the AMA just copies it. Remember the AMA forums? I try not to. But it's not too late just yet for the AMA to get creative and start putting some programs together for MR pilots. If they do, I think we'll see in the long run a lot of crossover between the two interests and significant growth in both.

Originally Posted by jester_s1
I'd say the reason the Best Buy program didn't work is through same reason the MR crowd still isn't interested in the AMA. That reason is a lack of value in the membership. The AMA leadership assumes that all RC hobbyists know what the AMA is and want to be a part of a national organization. That was a safe assumption for the builder and maybe the boomer generation, but not for anyone under 45. The AMA really doesn't give the MR crowd anything for their money, so why should they join?
Old 08-17-2016, 08:29 AM
Sport_Pilot

The AMA originated out of a need for grown men to compete with their sometimes very large free flight models. It was not ever meant to cater to little boy's, other than through separate youth divisions..
Old 08-17-2016, 08:45 AM
mkranitz
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

Default Official Endorsement Letter for AMA President

For what it's worth, this is the RCFlightDeck.com Official Endorsement Letter for Pres of AMA.

ENDORSEMENT LETTER
Old 08-17-2016, 08:57 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mkranitz
For what it's worth, this is the RCFlightDeck.com Official Endorsement Letter for Pres of AMA.

ENDORSEMENT LETTER
It's been noted in other threads. Well written with solid rationale for why you are voting that way, not the usual and popular "Vote for change" mantra.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:01 AM
porcia83
Banned

I think my statement below was misunderstood by a few commenters. Either that, or it was understood and no one decided to actually respond to what I said. So I'll assume the former and try to clarify.

My point was that if the AMA wants to draw from the exploding MR population (a wise move if it wants to survive beyond this generation), it has to offer them something that makes the membership dues a worthwhile investment. The AMA will have to do something that it hasn't really needed to do for about 40 years, which is to think like an entrepreneur.
Think about how the AMA first started. You had little boys buying balsa wood and glue at the hardware store to build replicas of planes they saw in books or in person. So some wise enthusiast decided to form an organization to bring all of those enthusiasts together. But boys, being kinda weak in the area of budget, need to see value in that investment. So the AMA gave them modeling tips and product reviews in its publication, organized competition events, and helped local clubs get formed. So being an AMA member meant being able to learn more about modeling and able to participate in contests along with some of one's money going toward promoting the hobby. It also gave them an identity by connecting them with other modelers. That was all worth paying for. But with the MR crowd, the AMA has largely forgotten to sit down and work out what they will provide to them if they join. That's why I suggested above being a center for education and competition, because that's what tends to bring enthusiast communities of all kinds together. As it is though, the MR crowd is largely disinterested in the AMA because really all the AMA offers to them is government lobbying and advocacy. Oh wait, I forgot. The AMA has largely disavowed connection to the MR crowd in statements it has made to the FAA, being openly critical to that segment of the hobby and the way they enjoy their machines. So I guess it's not offering representation to the government for their interests either.
So my whole point was that if the AMA wants the MR crowd to join and pay dues (and they'd be fools not to want that), the organization has to provide something to them. I think inclusive government representation is a start, but if the AMA is to establish any real presence in the MR hobby they need to play catch up and start putting together some ways to provide real value to those pilots. If AMA history is any indicator, they won't. The entrepreneurial spirit has been gone from this organization for a long time as the leadership has opted instead to let someone else have the big creative ideas and then the AMA just copies it. Remember the AMA forums? I try not to. But it's not too late just yet for the AMA to get creative and start putting some programs together for MR pilots. If they do, I think we'll see in the long run a lot of crossover between the two interests and significant growth in both.
Great comments. I'd argue that the AMA has tried to make itself attractive to the mr segment of the hobby, perhaps not as good as it can. As you'll note by this and many other threads clearly some feel that the AMA has done nothing but cater to the mr crowd in fact that's one of the candidates seemingly constant position. I've said before they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Not sure what the perfect mix for them will be.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:18 AM
rcmiket

With MulitGP as a AMA sig aren't they already offering what they can? Actually I think that they are the one and only group that have a shot at. The MR camera guys will be hard to attract as I don't think there's anything the AMA can offer them. .

Mike
Old 08-17-2016, 09:30 AM
astrohog

the ideal would be to sustainably grow the ranks with active members who are drawn to the organization because they WANT to, not because they were offered a free membership.
Porcia, do you agree or disagree with the above statement?

Astro
Old 08-17-2016, 09:34 AM
astrohog

I'd argue that the AMA has tried to make itself attractive to the mr segment of the hobby, perhaps not as good as it can.
Now Porcia can be lumped into the AMA haters club with the rest of us!

Astro
Old 08-17-2016, 09:38 AM
porcia83
Banned

Now Porcia can be lumped into the AMA haters club with the rest of us!

Astro
So much for having a good day. Jeez.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:02 AM
porcia83
Banned

Porcia, do you agree or disagree with the above statement?

Astro
It's a loaded question about a loaded premise, with no answer that would suffice for you.

"Ideals" are great, how about reality though. Anyone who joins the ama does so willingly, because they WANT to. If you want to start second-guessing the motivations for people joining well then I think you would find According to some folks here everyone just joined because they have to in order to fly in a field. Folks just love absolutes.

Your ideal is impossible to quantify. Sustainable growth, active members, what does that even mean? Growth is growth, and like most groups, will ebb and flow. We are on an upswing now (no doubt disputed), is that sustainable, who knows. Active membership...what is that, and who sets the definition. There are 214 active members at a club I belong to, I might see 90 of them throughout the year...are the others inactive? They all pay their dues, so they are active.
You've spoken of ideals, but not about a plan or suggestion on how the AMA is supposed to do what you suggest. In this thread, as in others the standard complaints about what happened in the past are popular, but no realistic plan.

Building and kit building is down, giant scale planes and accessories are down (per Tiano himself)...arf, and and rtf are popular, as is the dreaded f word...foamies. an aging membership, a small portion of which is completely against Mr of any kind (except the occasional oh I have one too but still keep them out), apathy to some degree within the membership, and oh, an explosion of interest in drone and mr technology. Let's not forget the warm welcome some clubs and members show to the foamies and mr guys....so ya, it seems like an easy situation to deal with.

Could be why these threads are barren when it comes to actual suggestions....other than "ban them".
Old 08-17-2016, 10:50 AM
astrohog

It's doubtful the ama is just going to sit back and let itself disappear from relevance because a small fraction of its current (and rapidly aging) membership wants to wax philosophic about the good old days (my characterization by the way).
Not sure if you misunderstood what I was trying to portray, or was a misinterpretation. I didn't say the AMA would or should sit back and let itself disappear from relevance because some members want to wax philosophical about the good old days, that was your own self-admitted spin which we all know is not what some of us are adviocating for. Rather it was your way to somehow portray some AMA members' beliefs in a negative way (very transparent, getting old and distracting these threads from being productive,). My point was that the AMA should absolutely do everything in their power to uphold their mission statement and serve their members before focusing on simply increasing their sheer numbers. It is clear to me that the real weakness of the AMA right now is that it already has an apathetic membership (as witnessed by continued low voter participation, disgruntled members (regardless of how low you think the percentage may be), lack of knowledge about the organization itself (by-laws, election protocol, model aviation day, etc)) And that apathy should be the EC's first concern, not $$. In short, build a strong foundation, give your membership what they want and grow from there. Build your house on sand or out of straw and watch it tumble. If you have happy, fulfilled members that have a string sense of their organization, it will thrive at whatever the member count is.

I would say they need to continue to evolve and adapt just as their members have. Had they stated "true" to their initial charter and purpose, we'd all be chasing free flight models around our fields.
This is simply another unfair and untrue statement. NOWHERE does it state in any initial charter (nor have I seen ANY member here with that opinion) that the AMA's purpose is to advocate for free-flight modelers. Just more spin on your part as the AMA has successfully advocated for many of the advancements in technology over the years since the organizations inception (RC, helicopters, turbines, giant scale, etc). Once again, for clarifications' sake, the vast majority of folks that are calling for any kind of seperation, are asking for seperation from AUTONOMOUS, BLOS FLIGHT (regardless of how many props, rotors, wings or turbines it may or may not have). That is the one new technology that truly brings with it a whole new set of challenges. That is the fact and would be difficult for anyone to deny. Things brings us to where some members are divided. I believe that the AMA is and will always be woefully equipped and unable to safely assure other users of the NAS that by following their guidance, there will never be any manned vs. autonomous incidents. We (AMA members and clubs) have proven we can self-police and operate safely at our fields and WLOS. BLOS, Autonomous operations is a completely different animal! Please stop referring to the "traditionals" as free-flight and control line dinosaurs, you know full well where most of us are drawing the line defining traditional.
Incidentally I don't see ant suggestions as to how to grow the membership the "right" way, just the usual complaints after the fact about what they did. Outside of "ban the drones"...I'm not hearing much.
See my above comments. Keep your members engaged, happy and wanting to belong.

Finally, and again, I haven't seen a single complaint raised on the membership initiatives by any member of the EC group, only from one now that he's running for office. I have to wonder why that is.
And that, my friend, is the root of all of these discussions! Our leadership doesn't see there is an issue, even when their members are disengaged and unhappy, why would the EC discuss the forest, when they can't see the trees? There is no, "AMA is evil" campaign going on as much as you try to portray, simply unhappy members recognizing the need and asking for change. Don't vilify those that are simply voicing their concerns. Disagree if you must, but please do not vilify or spin because you do.

Astro
Old 08-17-2016, 10:54 AM
astrohog

So much for having a good day. Jeez.
What, don't like the taste of your medicine?

It may seem childish, but it is only fair, right?

It is your continued jabs that cause comments like that. Tired of repeatedly reading yours and letting them go unchecked

Astro
Old 08-17-2016, 11:11 AM
porcia83
Banned

What, don't like the taste of your medicine?

It is your continued jabs that cause comments like that. Tired of repeatedly reading yours and letting them go unchecked

Astro
Lol...fantastic logic. Perfect.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:42 AM
astrohog

It's a loaded question about a loaded premise, with no answer that would suffice for you.
That is a covenient way to avoid a simple question, to avoid taking a stance that may not be convenient to your agenda to continually spin these threads from having any real purpose and impact.
"Ideals" are great, how about reality though. Anyone who joins the ama does so willingly, because they WANT to.
That is an absolutely untrue statement. There have been NUMEROUS members here in this forum that have stated they joined because they HAD to join in order to fly at their club. their ultimate WANT was to fly, NOT TO JOIN
If you want to start second-guessing the motivations for people joining well then I think you would find According to some folks here everyone just joined because they have to in order to fly in a field. Folks just love absolutes.
Haha! You want absolutes? I have heard some members state they joined because they had to, NEVER did they say "everyone" joined for that reason. WORDS....they DO have meaning, and if used incorrectly (on purpose), they can have a whole different meaning (but you know that, right? ; )

Your ideal is impossible to quantify. Sustainable growth, active members, what does that even mean? Growth is growth, and like most groups, will ebb and flow. We are on an upswing now (no doubt disputed), is that sustainable, who knows. Active membership...what is that, and who sets the definition. There are 214 active members at a club I belong to, I might see 90 of them throughout the year...are the others inactive? They all pay their dues, so they are active.
you know full well what an active member looks like because it has been discussed ad naseum by yourself and others on these threads. In fact, you use it to berate folks all the time by telling them to run for office or spend their time doing research to become more informed and involved. You know full well it would be impossible to put a definitive picture to the phrase "active member", as it manifests itself differently in each one of us depending on our individual circumstances (time, family, work, $$, experience, etc.). Don't use that as an excuse to diminish the fact that a majority of our members are apathetic when it comes to any activity other than flying.
You've spoken of ideals, but not about a plan or suggestion on how the AMA is supposed to do what you suggest. In this thread, as in others the standard complaints about what happened in the past are popular, but no realistic plan.
See my previous comments. A good start would be for the AMA EC to proactively reach out to its membership and ask their opinions more often. One can surmise that a slent membership is a content one, but it is clear to me that in this case, a sent membership is simply an apathetic one.

Building and kit building is down, giant scale planes and accessories are down (per Tiano himself)...arf, and and rtf are popular, as is the dreaded f word...foamies. an aging membership, a small portion of which is completely against Mr of any kind (except the occasional oh I have one too but still keep them out), apathy to some degree within the membership, and oh, an explosion of interest in drone and mr technology. Let's not forget the warm welcome some clubs and members show to the foamies and mr guys....so ya, it seems like an easy situation to deal with.
Nobody claimed it would be easy.

Could be why these threads are barren when it comes to actual suggestions....other than "ban them".
Yet another untruth!! I have not seen one person make a suggestion to, "ban them", That is simply your way of making it, shall YOU say, "absolute"

Astro
Old 08-17-2016, 12:28 PM
porcia83
Banned

Astro

You agree that you acted like a child, because you're frustrated at what you feel is my childish behavior to others, so in order to give me a taste of my own medicine, you decide to "check" me. And then blame that behavior on me.

Between this and recent comments it appears as though you're determined to teach me some kind of bizarre lesson, someone else spent years trying to do that, perhaps the baton has been passed. If you want to have a discussion about the issues, absent the petty antics, let's engage and discuss. Otherwise....I'll agree to disagree. Off to ask Mr Tiano some questions!

Last edited by porcia83; 08-17-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:38 PM
astrohog

Astro

You agree that you acted like a child, because you're frustrated at what you feel is my childish behavior to others, so in order to give me a taste of my own medicine, you decide to "check" me. And then blame that behavior on me.

Between this and recent comments it appears as though you're determined to teach me some kind of bizarre lesson, someone else spent years trying to do that, perhaps the baton has been passed. If you want to have a discussion about the issues, absent the petty antics, let's engage and discuss. Otherwise....I'll agree to disagree. Off to ask Mr Tiano some questions!
Ironic you would reply to this particular post TWICE and not acknowledge the other one that does discuss the issues at hand.

I also couldn't help but notice you had to add the, "agree to disagree" jab as some way to have the last word?

Nice touch!

Same old, same old!

Astro
Old 08-17-2016, 12:54 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another thread, more drama and from the same old suspects. I figured it would be so and, sure enough, I was right. Glad I don't have any other posts in here and won't have any more either
Old 08-17-2016, 01:06 PM
porcia83
Banned

Hey man, I did try!
Old 08-17-2016, 01:22 PM
cj_rumley

Ironic you would reply to this particular post TWICE and not acknowledge the other one that does discuss the issues at hand.

I also couldn't help but notice you had to add the, "agree to disagree" jab as some way to have the last word?

Nice touch!

Same old, same old!

Astro
Astro, your last few posts discussing the issues were very well thought out and presented, and appreciated. On several points you were reading my mind and expressing my thoughts better than I can.

Your replies to Porcia83 were pretty much worthless. Please consider disengaging.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.