Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

The RCU AMA presidential poll !!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Vote for AMA President
R. Hanson
22.73%
L. Tougas
12.12%
E. Williams
12.12%
Write in option
53.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

The RCU AMA presidential poll !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 05:58 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Fascinating looking at the poll results.......
Old 11-16-2016, 06:22 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As has been discussed here before, this forum is but a very small slice of the pie, but it will be interesting to see how the results here compare to the actual election results.

Anybody hear when the results may be announced? I read above where Andy stated maybe later this week, but I have not seen anything "official" from the AMA regarding announcing the results.

Astro
Old 11-16-2016, 06:27 AM
BarracudaHockey

Well, the write in candidate, Frank, released on his Facebook that he received about 900 votes out of approximately 18,000 cast.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:34 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Well, the write in candidate, Frank, released on his Facebook that he received about 900 votes out of approximately 18,000 cast.
Just how would Frank know his vote count along with the total votes cast?
Mike
Old 11-16-2016, 07:12 AM
BarracudaHockey

The results were finished and passed to Dave who notified each of the candidates personally of the vote. Frank chose to post his on FB.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:22 AM
rcmiket

The results were finished and passed to Dave who notified each of the candidates personally of the vote. Frank chose to post his on FB.

Thanks. 18,000 that's extremely disappointing as far as participation.
Mike
Old 11-16-2016, 08:06 AM
astrohog

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Mike
Roughly 12% of paying membership. Pretty sad.

I think that is even less than we have seen in recent years. So much for member engagement with all that is potentially at stake these days.

Maybe the HUGE influx (sarcasm) of "bought" members (Best Buy program, etc) and members that felt "forced' to join (droners that "had" to join just to "be in compliance"), while they may have bolstered the AMA's overall membership, have proven that they will not be engaged members, or have no real interest in model aviation, other than to satisfy the requirement of belonging to and operating under the auspices of a CBO?

Astro
Old 11-16-2016, 08:13 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by astrohog

I think that is even less than we have seen in recent years. So much for member engagement with all that is potentially at stake these days.

Maybe the HUGE influx (sarcasm) of "bought" members (Best Buy program, etc) and members that felt "forced' to join (droners that "had" to join just to "be in compliance"), while they may have bolstered the AMA's overall membership, have proven that they will not be engaged members, or have no real interest in model aviation, other than to satisfy the requirement of belonging to and operating under the auspices of a CBO?

Astro
I've maintained all along that a HUGE majority if "paying" AMA members simply belong due to the fact that when they approach the local club about flying there the first thing they are told is you must join to the AMA along with club dues. Most just look at it like the cost of flying and never cast a vote in elections or even care about the issues. .

Mike
Old 11-16-2016, 08:36 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Hi Andy , I guess the question now is when will the membership be told who won ?
Old 11-16-2016, 08:43 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Mike
Mike can youth members vote ? If not , that removes a segment of the membership and then like you guys said there are members who consider themselves forced members , I'm sure those members who feel that kind of resentment wouldn't vote .
Old 11-16-2016, 09:40 AM
BarracudaHockey

Youth and Park Pilot can't vote, there may be other small numbered special categories like affiliate members such as MAAC that can be insured while flying here but can't vote.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:27 AM
rcmiket

So best guess is about 130,00 paying members. Still a terrible voter turn out.

Mike
Old 11-16-2016, 11:14 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Astro
Why sad? Most do not care, and if they did would not know the issues. So better that they do not vote. I have only voted one or two times on stock proxies, and that because I did not like decisions made. Most of the time if I was not happy I sold the stock before voting. Actually most of the time I don't know or care about who runs the companies or the issues stock owners may vote on. Noting sad about that either..
Old 11-16-2016, 11:15 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by init4fun
Mike can youth members vote ? If not , that removes a segment of the membership and then like you guys said there are members who consider themselves forced members , I'm sure those members who feel that kind of resentment wouldn't vote .
No, but they can have protest march's!
Old 11-16-2016, 12:18 PM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Astro
Yep, basically a microcosm of our national election. low voter turnout... People want change, but don't go vote....

Last edited by GSXR1000; 11-16-2016 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:35 PM
BarracudaHockey

It's on Facebook so I reckon its releasable

Rich Hanson won
Old 11-16-2016, 01:12 PM
astrohog

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Why sad? Most do not care, and if they did would not know the issues. So better that they do not vote. I have only voted one or two times on stock proxies, and that because I did not like decisions made. Most of the time if I was not happy I sold the stock before voting. Actually most of the time I don't know or care about who runs the companies or the issues stock owners may vote on. Noting sad about that either..
We are talking about the AMA on this thread.

The AMA is a by the members, for the members organization and is non-profit. Big difference from a publicly traded, for-profit corporation.

For this reason I find it sad that the members do not care, know, or are not engaged.

I guess that is what happens when you resort to buying members and inviting folks who do not care into the fold

Astro
Old 11-16-2016, 01:13 PM
astrohog

Originally Posted by GSXR1000
Yep, basically a microcosm of our national election. low voter turnout... People want change, but don't go vote....
And people that don't vote, yet protest and riot!!!

Astro
Old 11-16-2016, 01:22 PM
Sport_Pilot

For this reason I find it sad that the members do not care, know, or are not engaged.
Not sad, you don't want those people to vote. Its only a hobby after all.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 11-16-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:32 PM
astrohog

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Not sad, you don't want those people to vote. Its only a hobby after all.
Yep. And people who choose to join should be engaged, informed and active, otherwise, why join?

Are you being obtuse, or do you just disagree?

Astro
Old 11-16-2016, 01:41 PM
rcmiket

From the AMA site.
2017 AMA Election Results

AMA President
Richard Hanson – 8026 votes
Lawrence Tougas – 4902 votes
Eric Williams – 3593 votes

No mention of write in votes

District I Vice President
Andy Argenio (Incumbent) – 873 votes
District V Vice President
Robert Brogdon – 1975 votes
District IX Vice President
Jim Tiller (Incumbent) – 746 votes

Mike
Old 11-16-2016, 01:58 PM
BarracudaHockey

Hence why I said fascinating.

Discarding the Write In, and before the 7th vote for Eric within the last hour, the poll was pretty much dead on.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:00 PM
init4fun

It's on Facebook so I reckon its releasable

Rich Hanson won
I know Rich will make a great AMA President and I truly wish him the best in his newly elected position .
Old 11-16-2016, 02:11 PM
Silent-AV8R

It's official

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/blo...ction-results/
Old 11-16-2016, 04:19 PM
LJE4357
Banned
My Feedback: (74)

Personally, I thought all along Rich was going to win. Frank is a nice guy, But unless your a scale modeler, most don't know him. I talked to modelers here in Orlando that didn't know him. Rich was a lot better known, mainly because he was involved with the AMA & FAA meetings. I met Eric last year in Perry Ga. I have known Rich for over 5 years, I have known Frank for over 30 years, I went to Top Gun with Art Johnson' and been to several of the Florida Jets. If every Jet modeler in the USA voted for him, he may have gotten 1000 votes. I think he would have been better off running for the Dist 5, VP position.

My 2 cents worth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.