Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

I guess this FPV drone racing fad is becoming mainstream with large Pro Sports owners

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

I guess this FPV drone racing fad is becoming mainstream with large Pro Sports owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 07:42 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I would love to see some updated data on the actual number of charter paying clubs. For example, I ran the websites of those listed in my district III website. A bit more than 10% of the cited club websites don't exist anymore. Is that because they're closed or because they're just not good at updating website data? Don't know for sure but it does make it difficult for folks to find clubs.

If nothing else, AMA should scrub all the websites that don't exist anymore. Then if there is a paid charter for the club, ask them to update the info.
Our club no longer has a site, lol we are to cheap for that. We are actually word of mouth club. like when joining a 1% motorcycle club, if you have to ask; then we are the wrong club for you basically our club has grown by our members who come into contact with like minded rc flyers and inviting them to our field, if you are invited you basically passed our vetting test; you still have to be voted in during our meetings but i don't think we have ever not voted a new invitee in.

Last edited by GSXR1000; 09-23-2016 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:55 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSXR1000
Our club no longer has a site, lol we are to cheap for that. We are actually word of mouth club. like when joining a 1% motorcycle club, if you have to ask this and that; then we are the wrong club for you basically our club has grown by our members who comie into contact with like minded rc flyers and inviting them to our field, if you are invited you basically passed our vetting test; you still have to be voted in during our meetings but i don't think we have ever not voted a new invitee in.
Maybe Franklin would like the AMA to force your club to have website. Maybe put in a few newspaper ads as well. Maybe the other AMA should do the same to the Hell's Angel's!
Old 09-23-2016, 07:57 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I would love to see some updated data on the actual number of charter paying clubs. For example, I ran the websites of those listed in my district III website. A bit more than 10% of the cited club websites don't exist anymore. Is that because they're closed or because they're just not good at updating website data? Don't know for sure but it does make it difficult for folks to find clubs.

If nothing else, AMA should scrub all the websites that don't exist anymore. Then if there is a paid charter for the club, ask them to update the info.
Actually every year the clubs are mailed a renewal form ( think last year I could renew our charter online). If the website is defunct all that needs to be done is cross it off ( or update it if there was a change) on the form. Pretty easy to do.
We maintain a website and feel i's well worth it for a number of reasons. Unfortunaltey it takes time and finding members to handle it is normally the issue of why some just go dormant.
Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 09-23-2016 at 08:00 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:09 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by init4fun
Sport , if the DRL is flying under the present #550 rules , then as far as I'm concerned they're just as good as any other AMA subset . Drone racing is not bringing any kinds of negative attention to our hobby that I know of so why would anyone want to see that pushed away and alienated ? Are those guys flying unrestricted BLOS over cities or taking pictures through celebrities windows ? Of course not , if they're flying #550 FPV they are doing none of those things and deserve all the same AMA endorsements that the rest of the hobby gets . Yea , I don't fly MRs , , Don't fly Blimps or jets or Autogyros either , but if those flyers and more want to be AMA members following the applicable AMA rules for their type of flying , bring em on and more power to em ! Conversely , bring disrepute & scorn onto our hobby (such as the drone hovering outside the Actor's window did) , and yea I got no use for ya whether your a menace with an MR , a glider , or a biplane .....

So I guess that makes me not part of the "some here"
+1
Old 09-23-2016, 09:23 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Our club no longer has a site, lol we are to cheap for that. We are actually word of mouth club. like when joining a 1% motorcycle club, if you have to ask; then we are the wrong club for you basically our club has grown by our members who come into contact with like minded rc flyers and inviting them to our field, if you are invited you basically passed our vetting test; you still have to be voted in during our meetings but i don't think we have ever not voted a new invitee in.
Outside of the regular club , I fly with a group of about 10 or so old guys like myself who fly just about everything imaginable on a chunk of land that's been universally known as the town's "model airplanes allowed place" for years . Just a big open expanse of unused , unbuildable town land that's far enough away from the surrounding neighborhoods to keep us from any noise complaints . No structure , no politics , have your town required AMA card (to prove you have insurance so the town ain't liable for ya , and of course follow the safety code so your insurance remains in effect) and your good to go . Each situation , the structure of the club and the free form of the informal group are fun in their own ways and I'm very happy to have access to both .
Old 09-23-2016, 09:30 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by porcia83
+1
Yep , I got no reason to push out flyers who want to abide by #550 , and I'm kinda glad the FAA has made a clear cut distinction between hobby and commercial drone use with part 107 . No where no how will hobby flying use rules grant someone BLOS permission , they would need a non hobby , part 107 flight conditions waver to be allowed BLOS . So any #550 flyer who don't fly illegal BLOS* is a #550 flyer indeed and should be welcomed , and is by me .

* I mention BLOS being flown by non 107 hobbyists since I believe it's the biggest "image problem" drones have with the general public today , like the "peepin drone" discussed in the "this is why" thread .

Last edited by init4fun; 09-23-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:00 AM
cj_rumley

Yep , I got no reason to push out flyers who want to abide by #550 , and I'm kinda glad the FAA has made a clear cut distinction between hobby and commercial drone use with part 107 . No where no how will hobby flying use rules grant someone BLOS permission , they would need a non hobby , part 107 flight conditions waver to be allowed BLOS . So any #550 flyer who don't fly illegal BLOS* is a #550 flyer indeed and should be welcomed , and is by me .

* I mention BLOS being flown by non 107 hobbyists since I believe it's the biggest "image problem" drones have with the general public today , like the "peepin drone" discussed in the "this is why" thread .
Init, FAA's interpretation of part 336 says in effect that FPV is BLOS because the goggles preclude the operator from having eyes on the aircraft. I think the distinction you cited between hobby and commercial drone use is one made by AMA, not FAA, unless FAA has recently changed their position on this and it escaped my notice. I question the efficacy of having a spotter as required by #550 (as an alternative to having his eyes on the aircraft) when applied to drone racing. What could he possibly do to prevent an accident when the operator loses control while the craft is moving 100 mph at a few feet off the ground?
Old 09-23-2016, 10:08 AM
init4fun

One more quick addition to my above statements ;

Yes I do heartily accept anyone flying anything that wants to fly under AMA rules up to and including #550 FPV flyers .

BUT !!!!

It is my opinion , and it seems my opinion alone because I can't ever remember getting any "plus ones" when I've posted it before , that the AMA "watered down" the original #550 too far in order to make it more attractive to prospective AMA member FPV flyers . It is my belief that there still should be a LOS pilot in command with his "eyes on the prize" with the goggle wearing pilot being the trainer side of the buddy box . As it stands now , the Pilot in command cannot directly see the aircraft he is piloting with his own two eyes and I do believe this runs counter to the FAA's intentions of what LOS and BLOS means WRT #336 model aircraft . Now since two are still supposed to be involved in the FPV flight , the pilot and the spotter , it's not like having the second person is that much of a stretch since two are still required now as it was before . Two pilots , one with direct visual contact , VS a pilot technically BLOS because he can't directly see the aircraft he's piloting and a spotter with no control over the flight being the only one who actually sees the aircraft , which do you think makes for the safer flying conditions and most closely resembles the FAA's views of what constitutes a #336 model aircraft ?
Old 09-23-2016, 10:11 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Init, FAA's interpretation of part 336 says in effect that FPV is BLOS because the goggles preclude the operator from having eyes on the aircraft. I think the distinction you cited between hobby and commercial drone use is one made by AMA, not FAA, unless FAA has recently changed their position on this and it escaped my notice. I question the efficacy of having a spotter as required by #550 (as an alternative to having his eyes on the aircraft) when applied to drone racing. What could he possibly do to prevent an accident when the operator loses control while the craft is moving 100 mph at a few feet off the ground?
Great minds think alike !!! I was typing out basically the exact same sentiment , but mine was kinda wordier so ya beat me to the post . Yep , goggles do put the craft BLOS the minute they go on , and that's why I liked the original #550 with it's LOS pilot in command
Old 09-23-2016, 10:44 AM
Sport_Pilot

The FAA could care less about a few feet above the ground. They only care about a mid air with full scale aircraft. Plenty of time for the spotter to push the button or flip a switch and take over control.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:48 AM
Sport_Pilot

One more quick addition to my above statements ;

Yes I do heartily accept anyone flying anything that wants to fly under AMA rules up to and including #550 FPV flyers .

BUT !!!!

It is my opinion , and it seems my opinion alone because I can't ever remember getting any "plus ones" when I've posted it before , that the AMA "watered down" the original #550 too far in order to make it more attractive to prospective AMA member FPV flyers . It is my belief that there still should be a LOS pilot in command with his "eyes on the prize" with the goggle wearing pilot being the trainer side of the buddy box . As it stands now , the Pilot in command cannot directly see the aircraft he is piloting with his own two eyes and I do believe this runs counter to the FAA's intentions of what LOS and BLOS means WRT #336 model aircraft . Now since two are still supposed to be involved in the FPV flight , the pilot and the spotter , it's not like having the second person is that much of a stretch since two are still required now as it was before . Two pilots , one with direct visual contact , VS a pilot technically BLOS because he can't directly see the aircraft he's piloting and a spotter with no control over the flight being the only one who actually sees the aircraft , which do you think makes for the safer flying conditions and most closely resembles the FAA's views of what constitutes a #336 model aircraft ?
not sure what you are saying here. I think you repeated the same procedure.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:57 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
not sure what you are saying here. I think you repeated the same procedure.
You lost me with this question , do you mean I repeated the same procedure as CJ was talking about , as in we both liked the "original" #550 over the newer one , or was I not clear about the two different #550 procedures , the old and the new ? The old had two pilots and the new has a pilot and spotter . The old had the PIC having direct visual contact , the new has the PIC being BLOS because of the goggles .

Just curious , which was I unclear about so I can fix the post ?
Old 09-23-2016, 12:44 PM
porcia83
Banned

Now that sounds like a fun club. You guys probably skip the adorned shirts and go right the vests/colors right?
Old 09-23-2016, 12:46 PM
porcia83
Banned

You never know...but the fact that he is a few feet off the ground may clue you in to the fact that the only damage that would probably happen is to the MR. Certainly not like a turbine crashing into the ground and spewing lit fuel all over a person. ouch!
Old 09-23-2016, 02:51 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by porcia83
You never know...but the fact that he is a few feet off the ground may clue you in to the fact that the only damage that would probably happen is to the MR. Certainly not like a turbine crashing into the ground and spewing lit fuel all over a person. ouch!
It can move in the direction of any point on a sphere, but you're half right in that almost half of the sphere is below ground. Good enough odds for AMA insurance
Old 09-23-2016, 03:21 PM
porcia83
Banned

It can move in the direction of any point on a sphere, but you're half right in that almost half of the sphere is below ground. Good enough odds for AMA insurance
Yup!
Old 09-30-2016, 03:55 AM
rcmiket

[h=3]ESPN2 will show five Drone Racing League events[/h]Now ESPN has moved drone racing to traditional television, on ESPN2. It is a bet on the growing popularity of a still-very-niche techie pastime. As a sign of how niche: On Sept. 18, ESPN re-aired an edited version of the DSA’s 2016 national championships from August. It was the first time drone racing has been shown on ESPN (the TV channel, not digital-only). According to Nielsen, just 223,000 people tuned in.

In October and November, ESPN2 will show 10 episodes covering five races of the Drone Racing League (DRL). The programming began on Sept. 15 with an “Intro to Drone Racing” (106,000 viewers, Nielsen says) and starts up in full on Sunday, Oct. 23, with a re-air of the Intro followed by the first race.

The events have flashy names like “Miami Lights,” “L.A.Pocalypse” and “The Ohio Crash Site.”

We all know how much I love numbers (when I can actually get them) well here's some on drone racing viewers.

Mike

Old 09-30-2016, 06:45 AM
TimJ

Well, DRL has a ton of work to do. The first show was a near disaster. They need to take the time to really plan out and execute good story line. If they don't, they will not be on TV for much longer.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:48 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by TimJ
Well, DRL has a ton of work to do. The first show was a near disaster. They need to take the time to really plan out and execute good story line. If they don't, they will not be on TV for much longer.
Sure do and another huge issue is the number of drone venues called "championships". Way to many series out there.

Mike
Old 09-30-2016, 08:08 AM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Sure do and another huge issue is the number of drone venues called "championships". Way to many series out there.

Mike
ESPN might better have invested in beer pong.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:40 AM
rcmiket

ESPN might better have invested in beer pong.

Heck I would be a participant.

Mike
Old 09-30-2016, 08:58 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ESPN2 will show five Drone Racing League events

Now ESPN has moved drone racing to traditional television, on ESPN2. It is a bet on the growing popularity of a still-very-niche techie pastime. As a sign of how niche: On Sept. 18, ESPN re-aired an edited version of the DSA’s 2016 national championships from August. It was the first time drone racing has been shown on ESPN (the TV channel, not digital-only). According to Nielsen, just 223,000 people tuned in.

In October and November, ESPN2 will show 10 episodes covering five races of the Drone Racing League (DRL). The programming began on Sept. 15 with an “Intro to Drone Racing” (106,000 viewers, Nielsen says) and starts up in full on Sunday, Oct. 23, with a re-air of the Intro followed by the first race.

The events have flashy names like “Miami Lights,” “L.A.Pocalypse” and “The Ohio Crash Site.”

We all know how much I love numbers (when I can actually get them) well here's some on drone racing viewers.

Mike

lol, that site and you are late, that's what my link for the 1st post said
They now have a league with a television agreement with ESPN and it was actually on ESPN main headline sports page.

http://www.espn.com/moresports/story...ting-agreement

I guess people like the immediate fly now satisfaction of drones over us traditional plank flying hobbyist... Since the average joe can go pick up self righting/flying drone and basically install batteries and fly...
Old 09-30-2016, 09:53 AM
rcmiket

lol, that site and you are late, that's what my link for the 1st post said
They now have a league with a television agreement with ESPN and it was actually on ESPN main headline sports page.

http://www.espn.com/moresports/story...ting-agreement

I guess people like the immediate fly now satisfaction of drones over us traditional plank flying hobbyist... Since the average joe can go pick up self righting/flying drone and basically install batteries and fly...
No actually it was pulled form a Yahoo news story today your older link has no viewer numbers info,.That 's the only reason I posted it..

Mike
Old 09-30-2016, 10:43 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by TimJ
Near disaster? It's a new genre and a new format, I'd say it was not bad for the first go, imo. The people interested in it probably see if for what it is, and those just tuning in can probably get a good idea of what is going on. I hope they keep the "story lines" out of it, just as they do other sporting events, and keep it focused on the events rather than playing up a story line or inserting drama into the event (other than the drama of the racing)
Old 09-30-2016, 10:53 AM
porcia83
Banned

ESPN2 will show five Drone Racing League events

Now ESPN has moved drone racing to traditional television, on ESPN2. It is a bet on the growing popularity of a still-very-niche techie pastime. As a sign of how niche: On Sept. 18, ESPN re-aired an edited version of the DSA’s 2016 national championships from August. It was the first time drone racing has been shown on ESPN (the TV channel, not digital-only). According to Nielsen, just 223,000 people tuned in.

Mike

It is,and will remain a niche hobby/activity, just like longboarding, or Kite surfing, both things that have been shown on ESPN.

I do love the bold and emphasis on "just 223,000 people tuned in", or even the 106,000 viewers.

Remind me again what "traditional" RC event has been broadcast by ESPN (or any channel for that matter). Wait, I'll make it easier, what "tradtional" RC event has anything close to even 106,000 spectators a year? Or even over 3. As a lover of numbers, I presume you have some stats?

First these things weren't popular, then they weren't really having events, and then they weren't really attended or popular, then they were but were all about money. Now they make it to Network TV and the viewership numbers weren't enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.