Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA EC Key Measures of Performance - Last 15yrs

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA EC Key Measures of Performance - Last 15yrs

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 06:48 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I'd be happy if you point it out to me. Also the discussion. Often a person being moderated doesn't feel that the moderation is fair even though it is. But moderators are human, I'm certainly not perfect.

And that 2nd Amendment comment surely comes across as a threat
Old 02-19-2019, 08:28 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
I'd be happy if you point it out to me. Also the discussion. Often a person being moderated doesn't feel that the moderation is fair even though it is. But moderators are human, I'm certainly not perfect.

And that 2nd Amendment comment surely comes across as a threat
The discussion I referred to is on another forum.
Many people find the 2nd Amendment threatening. That's one reason why so many want to ban firearms. But the bottom line is, the 2nd was put in place as a last resort for the people to protect and preserve their own rights. And in light of the way FB and Twitter among others are trying to make certain forms of censorship the new norm, it's no wonder there are 1st Amendment discussions going on. 1984 is closer than you think. What part do you play in it all?
Old 02-19-2019, 10:54 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Given the way this thread has deteriorated, it's not surprising that the AMA and the EC don't pay much attention. Keep these comments on another venue if our mutual concerns with the AMA are to be taken seriously.

Last edited by Lifer; 02-19-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:14 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't really matter. There is nothing AMA can do to save itself no matter how much attention they pay on this or any forum. About all they could do is try to cut back on expenses to save money, but that's about all.
They knew they were in this fix for decades, but logically it's out of their hands. Even if someone out of the inner circle did come up with a pragmatic idea, they wouldn't listen.
I sort of remember reading something in MA 30 years ago stating that 20 or 30 years later, AMA could have close to a million fixed wing flying (not drone flyer) members.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:28 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by fliers1
It doesn't really matter. There is nothing AMA can do to save itself no matter how much attention they pay on this or any forum. About all they could do is try to cut back on expenses to save money, but that's about all.
They knew they were in this fix for decades, but logically it's out of their hands. Even if someone out of the inner circle did come up with a pragmatic idea, they wouldn't listen.
I sort of remember reading something in MA 30 years ago stating that 20 or 30 years later, AMA could have close to a million fixed wing flying (not drone flyer) members.
Actually, I disagree. If the AMA did what I said in an earlier post, they could survive and may even become relevant. It would actually be very simple:
1) Cut all unneeded programs such as the retail and grounds crews
2) Reduce the admin staff to just what is needed to handle the PRESENT membership levels and claims. We all know that the staff is now bloated to the point of being almost ineffective
3) Sell off EVERYTHING in Muncie and move back to a small leased office in DC
4) Personally interact with Congressional members rather than paying an expensive staff of lawyers and paralegals that have shown that they can achieve nothing
This would save hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars per year in wasted money and would make the AMA a more effective lobbying body than what they presently are.

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 02-19-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:45 PM
fliers1

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Actually, I disagree. If the AMA did what I said in an earlier post, they could survive and may even become relevant. It would actually be very simple:
1) Cut all unneeded programs such as the retail and grounds crews
2) Reduce the admin staff to just what is needed to handle the PRESENT membership levels and claims. We all know that the staff is now bloated to the point of being almost ineffective
3) Sell off EVERYTHING in Muncie and move back to a small leased office in DC
4) Personally interact with Congressional members rather than paying an expensive staff of lawyers and paralegals that have shown that they can achieve nothing
This would save hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars per year in wasted money and would make the AMA a more effective lobbying body than what they presently are.
Yep, save money and not take any advice from anyone outside of the inner circle. That's not going to save their bacon. And not be able to do anything about the decline in membership.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:09 PM
Hydro Junkie

I figured that the staff overhaul would include terminating the present upper level management and removing the requirement of only leader members being eligible to be officers since the leader members are picked by the those that are already leader members or part of the EC and that is where the policies the AMA operates under comes from.
I can be an area VP, national president, vice president or treasurer in NAMBA without having to be advanced to an "eligible pool" of members, something the AMA really needs to change
Old 02-19-2019, 03:22 PM
LouieB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

#1 in my view is to remove top management ( I am loathed to use the word leadership ) and replace them with professional 301(c) management; people who have a background in running a non-profit.

#2 is to stop paper publication of the monthly magazine. Use .pdf and email it out to membership; if someone does not have an email then that is their problem.

#3 is to close down the museum for good.

#4 is to reduce the layers of management between the top and the club.

#5 stop supporting all SIG with AMA resources. Let the SIG stand on its own.

Actually the really best thing is to close all of Muncie and do as previously suggested and move to DC and rent a small office but that is unlikely.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:27 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by LouieB
#1 in my view is to remove top management ( I am loathed to use the word leadership ) and replace them with professional 301(c) management; people who have a background in running a non-profit.

#2 is to stop paper publication of the monthly magazine. Use .pdf and email it out to membership; if someone does not have an email then that is their problem.

#3 is to close down the museum for good.

#4 is to reduce the layers of management between the top and the club.

#5 stop supporting all SIG with AMA resources. Let the SIG stand on its own.

Actually the really best thing is to close all of Muncie and do as previously suggested and move to DC and rent a small office but that is unlikely.
I like it, someone agrees with me
Old 02-20-2019, 06:58 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Same half dozen must be Aunt Bee's sewing circle LOL.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:23 AM
Lifer

What you are calling for is what the AMA used to be. A small office in Reston, Virgina that did nothing but lobby for the hobby, promote competition, and publish a magazine. It ALL went downhill with the movement to the Muncie Retirement Village.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:45 AM
Appowner
Banned

However it's done, Expenses HAVE to be reduced. And ideally revenue has to be increased.

But first and foremost is to get an EC in there that understands this and gives a damn. But that will only happen if the members get busy and demand some answers. I don't see a lot of that happening based on what I see on these forums. I also don't see where the current EC as a group does give much of a damn. Which makes me wonder what is their real motivation?

Last edited by Appowner; 02-20-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:09 AM
Hydro Junkie

I've found that there are many people out there that have to have a title in front of their name to make them feel like they are actually some one. Many of those are also the people that have to be in charge of what ever is going on or, again, they are a nobody.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:34 AM
Appowner
Banned

I've found that there are many people out there that have to have a title in front of their name to make them feel like they are actually some one. Many of those are also the people that have to be in charge of what ever is going on or, again, they are a nobody.

IOW a lot of Nobody's out there who think they're Somebody!
Old 02-20-2019, 10:36 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by Lifer
What you are calling for is what the AMA used to be. A small office in Reston, Virgina that did nothing but lobby for the hobby, promote competition, and publish a magazine. It ALL went downhill with the movement to the Muncie Retirement Village.
Maybe not 100% accurate but it does pretty well sum up the last 30 years or so.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:50 AM
Lifer

Well, I've been an AMA member since the 60's, so I'll stand by my statement!
Old 02-20-2019, 11:14 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

You mean like those who want to maintain control of the AMA forum on RCU?
Old 02-20-2019, 11:29 AM
franklin_m

Concur!

Is there anyone among President / EVP / EC that was around when decision to move to Muncie was made? I'd be really curious to know the background of that decision.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:47 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Propworn
Same half dozen must be Aunt Bee's sewing circle LOL.
Since I don't see anyone refuting Franklin's charts & graphs , and since those charts & graphs come from the AMA's own info provided to the IRS , I'd say sewing circles aside the AMA is in some serious future economic trouble . Let's pretend your a rich Warren Buffet type guy looking to invest in some fast growing companies , and you saw a company with numbers like the AMA's , do you think those numbers are predictors of a business you'd invest in ?

Last edited by init4fun; 02-20-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:26 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by init4fun
Since I don't see anyone refuting Franklin's charts & graphs , and since those charts & graphs come from the AMA's own info provided to the IRS , I'd say sewing circles aside the AMA is in some serious future economic trouble . Let's pretend your a rich Warren Buffet type guy looking to invest in some fast growing companies , and you saw a company with numbers like the AMA's , do you think those numbers are predictors of a business you'd invest in ?
Under the "Dear Leader" and the rest of the cabal, through good economic times and bad, AMA membership revenue has been in near constant decline. What's also clear is that the ONLY way AMA has increased revenue has been to raise dues. Unfortunately, it appears the benefit is short lived, for membership revenue starts falling immediately after every dues increase. And worse yet, it appears that within just a few short years, the membership revenue falls to less than what it was before the dues increases. And the 2015 increase is showing a similar trend as the 2002 increase.

This is a failing business strategy. It also shows a failure to create value that attracts new PAYING members. The previous administration tried to play a shell game by talking about "total membership." Why? Because they could give the appearance of progress while concealing the only measure that really matters in an organization that gets the majority of its funding from dues - and that is the trend in PAYING members. And that trend was not good.

It's long past time for a complete replacement of the entire EC. And it's long past time to start allowing EC members to be any member, not just from the ranks of EC hand picked Leader members. And as others have pointed out, sell "Taj-Munice," sell the museum, move back to a strip mall office in DC, and ditch the magazine.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:39 PM
Appowner
Banned

Well, I've been an AMA member since the 60's, so I'll stand by my statement!
You do realize I'm actually agreeing with you?
Old 02-20-2019, 01:43 PM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Concur!

Is there anyone among President / EVP / EC that was around when decision to move to Muncie was made? I'd be really curious to know the background of that decision.
Well, I wasn't any officer back then. But I believe one of the arguments put forth was the cost of living and doing business in Northern Virginia. Funny how that was one of their arguments and then in Muncie they started paying staff Northern Virginia wages.

And for the nay sayers, I spent 29 years living and working in NOVA leaving in 2017. I think I have a handle on what it takes to survive there.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:46 PM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m

Under the "Dear Leader" and the rest of the cabal, through good economic times and bad, AMA membership revenue has been in near constant decline. What's also clear is that the ONLY way AMA has increased revenue has been to raise dues. Unfortunately, it appears the benefit is short lived, for membership revenue starts falling immediately after every dues increase. And worse yet, it appears that within just a few short years, the membership revenue falls to less than what it was before the dues increases. And the 2015 increase is showing a similar trend as the 2002 increase.

This is a failing business strategy. It also shows a failure to create value that attracts new PAYING members. The previous administration tried to play a shell game by talking about "total membership." Why? Because they could give the appearance of progress while concealing the only measure that really matters in an organization that gets the majority of its funding from dues - and that is the trend in PAYING members. And that trend was not good.

It's long past time for a complete replacement of the entire EC. And it's long past time to start allowing EC members to be any member, not just from the ranks of EC hand picked Leader members. And as others have pointed out, sell "Taj-Munice," sell the museum, move back to a strip mall office in DC, and ditch the magazine.
Won't happen unless the membership gets motivate to make it happen. And from what I've seen here and on other forums, that ain't about to happen either. Wonder what if anything will replace the AMA?
Old 02-20-2019, 09:16 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie

You mean like those who want to maintain control of the AMA forum on RCU?

NO, in fact not even close. BTW, that statement can only be directed at a few people. I recommend being careful as there are now consequences in play.
Like someone that has to call the shots and needs a title to add weight to their statements. Conversely, the second type of person I referred to is the one that wants to be in control. That's someone that needs to be calling the shots without a title in front of their name that wants to be in charge but doesn't want a title so if something goes wrong, they don't have to take responsibility because of that title. I have to deal with both types in both organizations that I have memberships in so I see this quite often

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 02-20-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:33 AM
Appowner
Banned

NO, in fact not even close. BTW, that statement can only be directed at a few people. I recommend being careful as there are now consequences in play.
Like someone that has to call the shots and needs a title to add weight to their statements. Conversely, the second type of person I referred to is the one that wants to be in control. That's someone that needs to be calling the shots without a title in front of their name that wants to be in charge but doesn't want a title so if something goes wrong, they don't have to take responsibility because of that title. I have to deal with both types in both organizations that I have memberships in so I see this quite often
And you will find both types involved in the AMA all the way to the EC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.