Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA EC Key Measures of Performance - Last 15yrs

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA EC Key Measures of Performance - Last 15yrs

Old 02-07-2019, 11:24 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AMA EC Key Measures of Performance - Last 15yrs

I received my copy of the AMA's 2017 IRS 990 filing, and looked at a number of key performance indicators, what I submit are measures of the EC's performance, decision making, and financial strategy.

At what point is a wholesale change in leadership warranted?

Supporting detailed charts on subsequent posts

Note: All data comes from AMA's IRS 990 tax filings, public documents. Data was inflation adjusted to constant December 2017 dollars using US government Consumer Price Index (CPI) inflation adjuster (below). I picked December since AMA's fiscal year ends in December. For example, if AMA entered $200,000 on it's 2003 IRS 990, it was entered into the calculator as of December 2003 and converted to December 2017 dollars. Thus $200,000 on an 2003 AMA IRS 990 would be worth $267,524.69 in December 2017.

CPI Calculator: https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=200000&year1=200312&year2=201712

Last edited by franklin_m; 02-07-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:26 AM
franklin_m

Additional Charts 1

Old 02-07-2019, 11:28 AM
franklin_m

Additional Charts 2

Last edited by franklin_m; 02-07-2019 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Removed duplicate chart
Old 02-07-2019, 11:29 AM
franklin_m

Additional charts 3
Old 02-07-2019, 11:29 AM
franklin_m

Additional charts 4

Old 02-07-2019, 06:43 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
At what point is a wholesale change in leadership warranted?
Well, if those were MY numbers and my boss was conducting a business review with me, it would be a very short meeting...…………

Astro
Old 02-07-2019, 08:42 PM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's fundamentally impossible for a business to continue for very long with numbers like these. It makes me wonder what isn't being revealed by Muncie?
Thing is, how many people here and other forums will continue to defend the actions of the AMA and act as if these numbers don't even exist?

And then they call us the haters.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:11 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds like they are on the path to self-destruction.

As well, I believe a massive dues increase is on the horizon.

Last edited by Lifer; 02-08-2019 at 01:21 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:23 AM
franklin_m

Here's another head scratcher: Model Aviation Magazine has lost over $25 million since 2003. I find it hard to believe that money could not have been better used elsewhere. Why hasn't the editor been fired? Why hasn't the entire sales staff been fired? Exactly how much of member's money do they have to lose in order to lose their jobs?

Old 02-08-2019, 02:31 AM
fliers1

Here's another head scratcher: Model Aviation Magazine has lost over $25 million since 2003. I find it hard to believe that money could not have been better used elsewhere. Why hasn't the editor been fired? Why hasn't the entire sales staff been fired? Exactly how much of member's money do they have to lose in order to lose their jobs?

I wonder what they would do if it was THEIR money?
Old 02-08-2019, 03:17 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Lifer
Sounds like they are on the path to self-destruction.

As well, I believe a massive dues increase is on the horizon.
I don't have all data back to '98, but I do have membership revenue. And what we see is that when they raised dues in 2003, just four years later the revenue was below what it was before the dues increase. Fast forward to 2015 dues increase. And sure enough, the same pattern appears evident ... declining membership revenue after a dues increase. Looks to be the beginning of a pretty sharp decline too...

Old 02-08-2019, 03:37 AM
Appowner
Banned

It seems the membership is voting with their wallets.

I've seen the membership get spun up over far less than something like this. Yet a growing fiscal crisis and they all but ignore it. I don't get it? In the words of Wyane, "Are they Mental?"
Old 02-08-2019, 03:54 AM
fliers1

I wonder when and if clubs could accept home owners insurance instead of AMA? For those who have a policy that could cover aeromodeling that is.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:01 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Appowner
It seems the membership is voting with their wallets.

I've seen the membership get spun up over far less than something like this. Yet a growing fiscal crisis and they all but ignore it. I don't get it? In the words of Wyane, "Are they Mental?"
CFO issued the clarion call, and based on the minutes, it fell on deaf ears. It's abundantly clear that doing more of the same isn't working. It hasn't worked for the last five years, nor the last ten, nor the last 15. And the latest brilliant idea? Sell naming rights. Roads, ponds, etc. at Taj-Muncie. So let me get this straight ... they're idea to save AMA from financial dust heap is to sell naming rights for roads, ponds, and flight lines at a place where relatively few people go, and those who do already know of your products? It's not like it's an NFL stadium with hundreds of thousands a year. Many there for the first time. I cannot believe they are taking this seriously. But looking at their financial decisions over the past 15 years, I guess nothing should surprise me.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:41 AM
fliers1

CFO issued the clarion call, and based on the minutes, it fell on deaf ears. It's abundantly clear that doing more of the same isn't working. It hasn't worked for the last five years, nor the last ten, nor the last 15. And the latest brilliant idea? Sell naming rights. Roads, ponds, etc. at Taj-Muncie. So let me get this straight ... they're idea to save AMA from financial dust heap is to sell naming rights for roads, ponds, and flight lines at a place where relatively few people go, and those who do already know of your products? It's not like it's an NFL stadium with hundreds of thousands a year. Many there for the first time. I cannot believe they are taking this seriously. But looking at their financial decisions over the past 15 years, I guess nothing should surprise me.
Seems like they are fresh out of workable ideas. The only logical thing to do is bring in large numbers of new members. Of course that is all but impossible.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:18 AM
Appowner
Banned

Obviously what WE think their motivation should be is NOT what is motivating the EC. Nor does it appear they care of the impending fiscal disaster heading their way. This can't be a surprise to them. Even I don't believe they're that stupid. They have to have known about this for at least some years. And yet, they do nothing about it. Why?

Perhaps their end game is NOT what we think it should be?

And the kicker is, this has obviously involved several elected AMA Administrations. Making whatever is going on a long running conspiracy.

Last edited by Appowner; 02-08-2019 at 05:20 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:05 AM
astrohog

Originally Posted by Appowner
And the kicker is, this has obviously involved several elected AMA Administrations. Making whatever is going on a long running conspiracy.
AKA the GOB network. Unfortunately, the GOB's "run" most of our clubs as well.....

Astro
Old 02-08-2019, 06:37 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I have to question if they have the necessary insight to realize that they are the likely cause of the end of the organization. They have controlled the development of the Executive Council in order to only allow like-minded individuals to rise in power. Now it is run entirely by sycophants and any hope for a change in direction is all but impossible.

Who ran the old S.F.A.? Maybe it is time for a resurgence?
Old 02-08-2019, 06:56 AM
Appowner
Banned

.................................................. ..........

Who ran the old S.F.A.? Maybe it is time for a resurgence?
While I would support a resurgence, unfortunately the originator/owner of the SFA dropped dead of heart failure during a years long legal battle with the AMA. The AMA then went after his widow.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:04 AM
fliers1

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/12500412-post102.html
Old 02-08-2019, 07:16 AM
Appowner
Banned

I have to question if they have the necessary insight to realize that they are the likely cause of the end of the organization. They have controlled the development of the Executive Council in order to only allow like-minded individuals to rise in power. Now it is run entirely by sycophants and any hope for a change in direction is all but impossible.
I think they know and don't care. At least the core that is truly running the show feels this way. And that core I believe are not all elected nor do all of them hold any kind of current office.

But the question is why don't they care? What is motivating them to totally disregard the health and well fare of the AMA? Something is going on!
Old 02-08-2019, 07:43 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Sounds to me like the EC is following the business model being used by the CEO of Sears Holdings. When Sears was "acquired" by K Mart, a company coming out of a bankruptcy, in an $11,000,000,000 deal in November 2004, it was a thriving company, relatively speaking. The CEO of K Mart, a company that was on the verge of failing, somehow became the CEO of the new corporation. Over the past 14+ years, the corporation has been forced to close hundreds of stores, sell off assets and is now millions of dollars in the red, all of which is being financed through a hedge fund that is operated by the CEO. The CEO is taking home $1 per year as a salary but is making millions through the earnings of his hedge fund while he milks the again failing company for everything he can get out of it. Does this sound familiar?

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 02-08-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:00 AM
Appowner
Banned

Any NEW organization would have to be very, very careful to ensure nothing about them can be claimed to having any connection, reference to or influence from the AMA.

And Hydro, the gentleman's name that comes to my mind is Ponzi.

The CFO has raised the fiscal alarm. So far the EC seems to be ignoring it. What will we see next? Will the CFO simply fade away? Or will he take his warnings to the membership in editorials? And if so, how long will he last? And will any of this accelerate the decline?

And what will the EC's next action be regarding fiscal issues? Sell off some assets? Raise dues? Nothing?

And the reactions of the faithful? Especially those who ignore facts and simply argue like the facts don't exist?
Old 02-12-2019, 10:09 AM
Stickslammer

Did anyone else get one of these? My card is blocking it, but I`m pretty sure the dues have gone up to $84.00 a year. I`ve misplaced my copy that I got in the mail, but sent them this one.

Last edited by Stickslammer; 02-12-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:57 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I have my 2019 card and paid 75.00.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.