Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 07:39 PM
WilsonFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: AMA

Most are putting out upwards of $10,000 a year from their own pocket for the privelige of taking heat from an uninformed membership and trying to serve us.
Then they're all obviously too stupid to be in control of an organization that controls millions of our dollars. Notice no smilie behind that statement. Argue with that one and don't give me the "goodness of their hearts" speech. If somebody got something for nothing; somebody else got nothing for something. You figure out the substitutions. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Somebody's spending all that money.

Is the AMA a federal NFP organization?
Old 01-14-2004, 07:46 PM
WilsonFlyer

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_12...tm.htm#1290685
Old 01-14-2004, 08:19 PM
J_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: LearningMan

Most are putting out upwards of $10,000 a year from their own pocket for the privelige of taking heat from an uninformed membership and trying to serve us.
Then they're all obviously too stupid to be in control of an organization that controls millions of our dollars. Notice no smilie behind that statement. Argue with that one and don't give me the "goodness of their hearts" speech. If somebody got something for nothing; somebody else got nothing for something. You figure out the substitutions. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Somebody's spending all that money.

Is the AMA a federal NFP organization?
I have talked to all but three members of the EC, either in person, or on the phone. You make the calls and see what you think. Some spend a little out of pocket, most spend a considerable amount.

Know any one in the Kiwinas Club or Rotary Club? Think it is free to them? I suppose it is the same reasoning. How about your club president, how much does he spend out of pocket that you never hear about? If you have made it in life, and love something, why not give a little back? Maybe the same reason people make donations to the AMA? There is a list of them in MA.

Some people take, and some people give. That's life.

JR
Old 01-14-2004, 08:26 PM
Live Wire

Tax write offs and Expense accounts. you don't need a salary. $10.000 is just coffee or lunch for the boy's.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:47 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

I am moving this thread to the AMA forum. It is interesting that there have been so many posts in this thread in the Clubhouse. I wonder how many it would have got if it had been originally posted in the AMA forum?

I will leave a link to this thread in the Clubhouse. Maybe some that do not routinely visit the AMA forum will follow it and we will start seeing greater participation in the discussions there.

Eric
Old 01-14-2004, 09:14 PM
FHHuber
Banned

ORIGINAL: MikeL

I wrote to him asking about his position on a few things prior to the last election he was part of. I just wanted his views. Instead of answering them, he sent me a rather terse note about not having included my AMA number in my communication. He wouldn't talk to me without "verifying that I was an AMA member." That was a little off-putting. Once I gave him the information he was dismissive about my questions, and when I pressed for more than a dismissal he became defensive. As I recall I was asking him about his opinion on what the AMA could do to encourage park flyers to join the AMA and look into their local clubs.

It didn't leave a pleasant taste in my mouth.
I can't say much about the District VP that covers your area...

The Dist VIII VP, Dr. Sandy Frank, has been very easy to get information from, and he once sent me copies of his notes from an EC meeting. (which he certainly didn't have to do...) The amount of stuff these guys are dealing with is MUCH more than most AMA members hear about.

Yest, there are sometimes conflictiong opinions as to how to deal with something in the EC, but that's normal. Get 4 model aircraft enthusiests together, you'll get 6 opions on any subject.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:17 PM
rw Guinn

ORIGINAL: scottrc

We RCer's are a strange lot. Why do so many ***** and moan abot the $58 for AMA. Look at all the organizations and memerships that soak people for over $50 that don't amount to anything. I have the belong to a professional organization for my job that soaks me $200.00 a year and all they do is meet in some hotel once a year and have a big dinner.

Why don't people complain about the IMAA? What do you get for that membership???? The right to be included in the 80" club?

I also belong to NAR and IPMS. I never hear any complaints from the members of these organizations. NAR is $75 a year for their insurance.

Many obviously belong to AMA just for the association. Look at all the indoor rubber flyers that the mag shows. Why would they really need insurance? I know, those little props can put an eye out or some lady could be traumatized for life after being struck by a plane weighing 8 oz. and traveling a .8 mph.
I spent $64 to play 1 round of golf with my son. Our AMA dues were $59 for a year...
Old 01-14-2004, 10:21 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: depfife

I am moving this thread to the AMA forum. It is interesting that there have been so many posts in this thread in the Clubhouse. I wonder how many it would have got if it had been originally posted in the AMA forum?

I will leave a link to this thread in the Clubhouse. Maybe some that do not routinely visit the AMA forum will follow it and we will start seeing greater participation in the discussions there.

Eric
Wondering about a thread with so many posts and one that I had not seen. Obviously I do not get around all that much. AMA is about all that really interests me, yet I do some beginners, pylon, and Warbirds and every so often visit Clubhouse. Guess I need to get out a bit more.
Thanks for bringing the thread home.

Yet, since AMA does play such a unique roll for model aviation in this USA, it is sad that RCU cannot allow some double posting. OTOH I fully understand why it is the way that it must be.[:-]

It is sad that more information concerning the AMA cannot be provided to all. As probably the largest CRITIC of AMA's current administration, I do believe totally in the AMA objectives as stated in the bylaws, plus fully the need for a great showplace headquarters. I would have preferred somewhere besides Muncie, such as the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, yet Muncie is what we have and cost-wise, I think we should make the best of it as it is.
I believe that a Volunteer Board, elected by the membership, should dictate policies, and accept nothing less than those policies being accomplished by a paid staff 101% to the letter of the law(policy).
I believe that the paid staff should be well paid and have excellent employee benefits, yet when the job becomes boring then said employee should be replaced without hesitation, regardless of the employee's level.

What I don't believe is that the AMA members have the ability to vote in elections objectively, and I don't think there are any with the desire to be counted by running against their incumbent.

Therefore I do think you deserve whatever you are handed.

No matter the level, it is all the same:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Patriot Act Finds Trouble in Texas
By William Rivers Pitt
t r u t h o u t | Perspective

Monday 22 September 2003

I have listened to the defenses of the Patriot Act offered tonight. The essence of the defenses, the essence of the rebuttals to our reservations and complaints, is "Trust us. We're the government. We're the constitutional scholars. Trust us."

I've heard that before.

There are tons of mass destruction weapons in Iraq. Trust us. There are al Qaeda terrorists all over Iraq. Trust us. September 11 happened because of enemies who hate our freedoms. Trust us.

With all due respect, I say hell no. The one thing this government's behavior has not created is trust.

Ladies and gentlemen, I have come here today to appeal to your patriotism. We are all patriots here, every one of us. Let no one deny that or doubt that.

[b] What are our duties as patriots? Is one a patriot if they fly the flag, to stand for the national anthem? Yes…and no. One may do these things and be filled with love of country, but if that is all you do, then you have not done enough. In this time, and in this place, and with all that is happening in this country and around the world, the duties of a patriot go far, far, far beyond flying the flag.
The duty of a patriot in this time and place is to ask questions, to demand answers, to understand where our nation is headed and why. If the answers you get do not suit you, or if they frighten you, or if they anger you, it is your duty as a patriot to dissent. Freedom does not begin with blind acceptance and with a flag. Freedom begins when you say 'No.'

That is how our freedom began 227 years ago. We said 'No.' Now, we must talk, and listen, and ask questions, and understand. If we do not like where we find ourselves, we must once again say 'No' with roaring voice, and without fear.

So let us, as patriots, speak tonight about the Patriot Act. The full name is the USA Patriot Anti-Terror Act, passed in the immediate aftermath of the September 11 attacks. Interestingly, and disturbingly, the document was written long before those attacks ever took place. If you believe the advertising, the Patriot Act serves us all by defending us against terrorist attacks, by casting a fine net to snare those who mean to do us harm. The Act itself is a huge sheaf of paper, written in that dense legalese so common to legislation. Attorney General John Ashcroft has been on a tour of American cities in the last month touting the Act before police organizations. He believes it is a vital and necessary weapon against terrorism.
............................................... http://www.truthout.org/docs_03/092203A.shtml
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The longer you do not use the ballot, the more that is heaped on you. Your call.
Yes, I believe in AMA, but I cannot be their spokesman and I am definitely not their lackey/toady.

www.usiap.org

Hossfly
Old 01-14-2004, 11:03 PM
necorc

I'm still fairly new to RC and an earlier post stated we as new members are told by a club we need to join the AMA to be able to fly. Very true statement, like lemmings we flock to the AMA eager to get our first flights in. Then a few months later we find RCU and beginning learning more about AMA as well as many other things RC related.

We do find that for $58 we get secondary insurance and a board that "fights" for our RC rights, provides flying site assistance as well as educating the general public about RC. Hopefully I'll never need the insurance, I could actually fly at the family ranch but if it wasn't for my club introducing me to the AMA I'd have no clue about it's existence.

I really want to promote RC Aircraft and the fun that I have, and I do, but what I don't see is the AMA promoting anything, anywhere (excluding RC related magazines).

"Beef, it's what's for dinner" The National Beef Board charges something like $1 per head of beef sold with no choice by the seller but the seller sees a benefit. "Got Milk?" the Dairy Board charges the producer a fee, again without a choice to the seller but the seller sees a benefit.

Why not take a portion of our dues and have a National Campaign by the AMA "Got Wings?"

I don't know for sure but I think the answer is somewhere, an organization that most all can support. These are just my opinions, I could be wrong.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:38 PM
J_R

JR<<<< thinking to himself and reading Horrace's post and watching the thread die. "Gee now I remember why all the nice AMA members never come down to visit us here in RCU's dungeon (AMA Discussion Forum)"

JR<<<<<singing softly "and another one bites the dust, and another one bites the dust"

To all you nice folks: hossfly is Horrace Cain, only VP ever refused placement on the ballot for a second term by his peers on the EC.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:00 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: J_R

JR<<<< thinking to himself and reading Horrace's post and watching the thread die. "Gee now I remember why all the nice AMA members never come down to visit us here in RCU's dungeon (AMA Discussion Forum)"

JR<<<<<singing softly "and another one bites the dust, and another one bites the dust"

To all you nice folks: hossfly is Horrace Cain, only VP ever refused placement on the ballot for a second term by his peers on the EC.
Hey, Ol' Slick Willie er.. ur.. JR, Tell 'em the "...rest of the story." Right after that Ol' Horrace was reelected big time by a write-in vote of the District VI constituency. Back in those days when modelers were modelers, more people were aware of things going on.

They recognized an officer that WORKED FOR THE MEMBERSHIP, AND NOT PERSONAL BLOAT.[>:] You bet your sweets that a majority of the EC disliked me because I set an example of WORK that the majority of the EC did NOT like.
During that first 2 years, I continued RC instructing, competition Pylon, organized a District Fun-Fly Team Championship, plus upgraded to B-737, then DC-8 at UAL, plus sending out hundreds of letters to Dist. Clubs. Some EC members couldn't believe I could "still fly models". I did.
They sure as _ell complained about my Dist. future activity lists in my columns and because I told what was going on. Bureaucrats cannot stand a producer.
Actually I had NO PEERS -- one that is of equal standing with another -- those country boys couldn't hold this East Texas Hill Billy Cowboy a light to see by, much less rank as *peer*.

EDIT: ADDED: BTW, JR you are so grossly unlearned: >>" Horrace Cain, only VP ever refused placement on the ballot for a second term by his peers on the EC."<<

Nay, NOT so, Toady boy. Jim McNeil got the same treatment the next year. However, as you said, HIS PEERS, as myself being far above the peer level, I refused to vote against JM regardless of personal feelings. I considered that the job of his constituency. End of edit.

You don't see any (except One-TWO I know of) DVP doing squat now, other than enjoying those paid Trade Show visits.

There's one for you JR![:-] Are the expenses of having the EC members still charged to AMA Officer Expenses (member dues cost) so as NOT to dilute the *profits* of the Trade Show?
You have the telephone-charm so get a straight answer on that one.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:27 AM
J_R

Well, Horrace, call 'em yourself. Ain't got the intestinal fortitude, do ya? Or is it a matter of the cost?

Finish up the story. After you used the VP column you had access to in ways no one ever imagined and got yourself re-elected, you quit.. right in the middle of the term. Guess you don't have no peers. They didn't want 'nothin to do with you. You have not quit P&Ming about the EC since. Must be terrible to have to look up and snipe at 'em. You could not sell your ideas then.. or now. Doesn't that tell you something over 20 years later?

I still have to laugh at your camelon act. A gentleman from Illinois then, a hick hill billy from Texas now. LOL

Your memory seems to be going

Edit: Seems to me you ran against JM for Sec/Tres and lost. No?
Old 01-15-2004, 07:16 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Taildrager-RCU

They spend $10,000 out of their own pocket to be our elected officals, prove it, we pay sancation fees to have a event, we could have a event without those fees and make money.
Here is a statement made by the late George Aldrich (VP District VIII).

"I must operate my little engine rework business to make ends meet. So far the time away from home, where all income stops, has cost me over $18K/year! Had I known this, I'm not sure I would have run."

They didn't come any more honest or dedicated than George so I accept is statement at face value.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:17 AM
WilsonFlyer

Why don't you two boys go get a room instead of hi-jacking this thread like everyone does every other thread down here.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:10 AM
SDR-Hammer

ORIGINAL: P-51B
Why is it that in these threads bashing the AMA that keep popping up, people always say they are just waiting for a viable alternative (Pete 913, SDRhammer, MikeL, etc), but none of them go out and create the alternative? It seems that if the AMA is so unpopular this would be an easy business to get going.
To answer your question my background involves nothing that would provide support to start such an operation. Just as I believe a good restaurant would make a very good profit in my town. I know nothing about the restaurant business, so I have to leave that for somebody else.

I like the AMA and buy into what everybody says that the AMA does for modelers. However I don’t believe the powers to be are very budget conscious. When was the last time the AMA axed a currently running program because of budget constraints? To my “untrained†eye it appears that if the budget gets tight the dues goes up. There is no incentive in the way of competition keep operations streamlined within the AMA. If I want to join any club in my area the AMA has a monopoly there are no other alternatives for a R/C modeler. Dues goes up and you still want to be a member of your local club the only option is to open your wallet.

For those proclaiming to all pro AMA and believe $58 a year in dues is worth every penny. Do you feel that the AMA does everything within its powers to be as budget conscious as possible? Or do you feel the AMA could trim some excess?
Old 01-15-2004, 11:21 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

And another interesting thread falls totally apart. Must be the forum. It was fine till it got moved. [:-]
Old 01-15-2004, 11:30 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: SDR-Hammer

If I want to join any club in my area the AMA has a monopoly there are no other alternatives for a R/C modeler. Dues goes up and you still want to be a member of your local club the only option is to open your wallet.

Uhhh...you could start a NEW club that is independent of the AMA....or convince the club your in to drop their AMA affiliation....
Old 01-15-2004, 12:00 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: SDR-Hammer
<SNIP>
For those proclaiming to all pro AMA and believe $58 a year in dues is worth every penny. Do you feel that the AMA does everything within its powers to be as budget conscious as possible? Or do you feel the AMA could trim some excess?
There are certainly AMA programs that I personally have no use for. At the same time, those programs are important to others. I think the AMA does a pretty good job of trying to stay within budegt. Was there some particular area where you feel that fat could be trimmed?

JR
Old 01-15-2004, 12:47 PM
EJN

AMA is invisible. Ask any school age kid who "AMA" is...and see the blank stares.
Actually they might answer "American Medical Association."
Old 01-15-2004, 12:53 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

American Motorcross Association
Old 01-16-2004, 08:00 AM
pete913

ORIGINAL: P-51B
Why is it that in these threads bashing the AMA that keep popping up, people always say they are just waiting for a viable alternative (Pete 913, SDRhammer, MikeL, etc), but none of them go out and create the alternative? It seems that if the AMA is so unpopular this would be an easy business to get going.
I'm not "bashing" the AMA, just stating my opinion. BTW, from what I've seen on this forum lately, The people who are , or have been, heavily involved with the AMA, do a much better job of bashing it, and themselves , than I ever could. This organization is just like any other, good up to a point, the point being when, to some of the higher ups in it, it becomes some sorta anal retentive world of their own, a world where the word "I" has more importance than what's best for the organization or the membership. " I did this, I did that". Sorry, I don't give a crap what you personally did, or what your ego inflated version of what you THINK you did is. That isn't what the AMA is about, and this kinda thing is becoming the rule, not the exception. Having said that, it's pretty easy to see viable alternatives to the AMA.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:24 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: pete913

BTW, from what I've seen on this forum lately, The people who are , or have been, heavily involved with the AMA, do a much better job of bashing it, and themselves , than I ever could.
No argument there.

Having said that, it's pretty easy to see viable alternatives to the AMA.
Pete, this was my point. If you look at the comment you quoted, you will see that I didn't say you were bashing, but grouped you with those saying they are waiting for a viable alternative. People keep saying they see a viable alternative, but none of them step and get it going.

With all the creative and talented modelers with such diverse backgrounds, it seems as though those that can envision an alternative, could get it started. That's all.