Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Atten: Southeast modelers

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Atten: Southeast modelers

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 08:26 PM
lanpc
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Atten: Southeast modelers

Gateway R/C Club asks for your help!

On March 8th Gateway Radio Control Club was notified by the VA that the City of Jacksonville has offered our model airfield as a possible location for a National Cemetery. Our site was one of three sites and an alternative option that was presented to the VA National Cemetery Administration as a possible site for a National Cemetery.

Please understand we are sympathetic to the need for a National Cemetery for our country’s veterans and are proud that the Jacksonville area has been chosen for this honor. However, one of the proposed sites (Site 4.1) would have a great detrimental impact to Gateway Radio Control Club, our members, several local businesses, and the community. Therefore we are asking the VA and the Mayor not to choose the site where our model field is located. In 1988 the city sold our old field to a developer, it took 4.5 years to replace the park.

HOW YOU CAN HELP.
We are asking our friends to email or write Mr. Michael Elliott (VA) and or Mayor John Peyton (Mayor of Jacksonville) asking them to NOT choose Site 4.1 (location of airfield) for the National Cemetery. KEEP THE LANNIE ROAD MODEL PARK.

Mr. Michael Elliott
Department of Veterans Affairs
National Cemetery Administration
810 Vermont Ave NW
Washington, DC 20420
[email protected]
(202) 565-5892

The Honorable John Peyton
4th Floor, City Hall at St. James
117 W. Duval Street
Jacksonville, FL 32202
[email protected]

If you would like to read more, VA Website on the Jacksonville sites.
www.cem.va.gov/whatsnew.htm

I have asked our webmaster to place our response on our website
www.gatewayrc.org

Your help will be very appreciated,

Patrick Lanfri
President Gateway R/C Club
Jacksonville, FL
[email protected]
Old 03-16-2006, 10:36 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Atten: Southeast modelers

I read through some of it and it looks like they are focusing on your location from the three proposals. I am willing to write a letter but need to have a little more about what your club does for the community so that I can put that in there. I remember that you have a Toys for Tots. I came down but could not find the field so I went on further south. What other contributions do the club make to the community?
Old 03-17-2006, 07:59 AM
lanpc
My Feedback: (18)

We put on a static display and flight demo at each years Boy Scout Blast. 1,500 scouts last year, even with the bad weather. We will be there again April 22 for the 2006 Boy Scout Blast. We go out to schools, and once a year man a booth at a local mall with information on modeling and the Lannie Road Model Park. Like you said we now have held two Toys4Tots campains. We also hold numerious events throughout the year, no spectator admission, and advertise it in the paper.....We get a lot of Father and Sons and family outings.
I appreciate your interest.
Patrick Lanfri
Old 03-23-2006, 07:09 AM
SSRCCPREZ

I sent a letter on your behalf and the below was the response I received, rather quickly I might add. I hope this provides some hope for you.

Mr. D'Arpino: Thank you for your interest in the new national cemetery. We still have several options to avoid disturbing the RC aircraft park. VA appreciates your support for the cemetery and understands your reservations concerning the potential effect on the flying field. Your concerns will be duly entered into the public comment record. By the way, I have stopped by the RC aircraft park a couple of times during my visits and have found it always being actively used by the members of the Club.

Mike Elliott
Director, Project Support Service
National Cemetery Administration
Department of Veterans Affairs