Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Fund Rasing for New Club?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Fund Rasing for New Club?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 01:36 AM
CrazyHerb-RCU-delete
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fund Rasing for New Club?

Clip from post in "ClubHouse"

Hi All,
We have just started a new AMA Chartered Club here and need ideas for raising money for field improvments. We would not like to rely on club dues exclusivly for money to improve the flying site.

We do not have land lease issues or cost in that aspect so all of our money can be diverted back into the club as improvements. We have several planned projects and willing bodies for labor, but no money for new pit area shelter (our anticipated source fell through) and to keep the dues low (around $20 annual).

A couple of ideas we've had were:
1. Car Washes - always good with a little coordination
2. Open House with static display in front of local store.
3. Raffles? Maybe?
4. Contacting AMA feild assistance representitive??
5. Gigolo out our Vice President (me)??

Anyone have some good ideas?

Our goal is to raise enough to get two 18 x 20 shelters (carport kits)- looking about $2500 total.

ANY help and ideas would be appreciated!!

Here's our little web site at least.....take a look and send an e-mail or reply here with your ideas.
http://home.attbi.com/~goldcountryaero/

ANYTHING GOES!!! NO IDEA IS TOO INSANE!!!

High Flights All!!
CrazyHerb
Old 01-07-2003, 02:45 AM
J_R

The AMA has a Flying Site Development\Improvement Grant Program

"The purpose of this program is to provide up to 10% of the total cost of a valid flying site development and/or improvement project.

For more information regarding the AMA Flying Site Development/Improvement Grant Program, visit our Web site or call the AMA Programs Department at (765) 287-1256, extension 270."

Contact Jay Mealy

For what it is worth, only about 15 clubs applied last year and all got money. The applications must be in by March 31. The information/application is document #712 in the .pdf documents on the AMA site.

JR
Old 01-07-2003, 03:10 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

>>>>>>
We do not have land lease issues or cost in that aspect so all of our money can be diverted back into the club as improvements. We have several planned projects and willing bodies for labor, but no money for new pit area shelter (our anticipated source fell through) and to keep the dues low (around $20 annual).

Old 01-07-2003, 03:18 AM
CrazyHerb-RCU-delete

Default Club Dues

Agreed HossFly,
We will re-visit the option to raise the dues at the next club meeting. We have about 15 active fliers right now with the intention on bringing in around 150 locals from 3 other clubs if they want to come fly with us. (Maybe high hopes though)

That would make the money thing easier...and I know if given the option of washing cars for 2 hrs or 50 bux...most would pay the 50 bux.....

I guess the question we should pose to our club is...
"What's your flying field worth to YOU!!"

Thanks for your input!

Man....I suck at golf too...why'd ya have to bring THAT up!! heheh......

High Flights!
CrazyHerb
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	45654_5673.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	28330  
Old 01-07-2003, 03:57 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dues is probably the best way to accomplish your goal. Events work if you are careful and do not make then too aggressive financially or impinge on other clubs perceived 'territory'.

I think you can build for cheaper than buying those bolt together contraptions. Price it out.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:52 AM
Dave Bowles
My Feedback: (7)

Default Raise Money

Swap N Shop is an easy wa to get money fast if there are enough people in your area, rent a cheap hall with tables, 8 foot tables rent for $25 , $12 for half a Table, 4 bucks for buyers.

Fly-ins with raffels, Get with one of the other facilities and set up a joint fly-in if your facility is not ready, Contact as many manufacturers as possible and local Hobby shops for prize raffels with at least one big prise to sell extra tickets for. There is usually a grocery store that will donate Hotdogs and such for a concession stand.

Specialty fly-ins, Float Flys are good for one or two a year.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:54 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I'm beating a very dead horse here, but why not have all of your members take advantage of AMA's Sign 3 and Fly Free Ambassador program: http://modelaircraft.org/templates/a...C04897CE91BCB6

Also, with a dues increase, that would triple your numbers along with the club treasury. The icing on the cake is everyone would get their membership for free next year.

Take care,
CCR
http://www.kites.org/rc_instructors
Old 01-08-2003, 04:34 AM
GregG

I'm currently serving my second term as President of the Diablo Valley Radio Controllers in Pittsburg, CA. Last year we were pleased to aquire a 10 year lease with a 10 year option on 241 acres of land. It came complete with a rundown, shot up, 1700 sq. ft. building (used to be a WWII shooting range and police SWAT training area) that we are using for a clubhouse. After paying for a 500' X 40' asphault runway, tractor to grade the land, building improvements, yada, yada yada, we managed to spend most of a 20 year old savings account. It looked like we were going to run short of funds for running the club for the rest of the year (the budget I'd asked for last Nov. wasn't handed to me until August). We got things together and put out a flyer for a "Grand Opening" Flyin and "1st Annual Auction". At the BBQ lunch we planted a few "Field Donation" boxes. After everything was cleaned up and all the smoke cleared, we'd cleared over $2500 for the day. This was all accomplished with only 1 months notice and help from many members to spread the word. I can't wait for this year!
Old 01-10-2003, 12:37 AM
bugsiegel

Default fund raiser

crazyherb,
Last year in our club we also needed to raise some money for work on our field. At that time we were about 50 members and our annual dues were already accounted for.
I think your dues are too cheep. Figure out what you think would be a good monthly rate ( we go with 6 dollars ) and charge an annual rate accordingly. Discount for seniors, children, and people who pay before Feb.1 We also charge a one-time 50.00 field fee to any new member. People who join mid year pay the most. People who join for just one season usually join after Feb ! and also fall into that category.
Anyway..... to raise money with out asking the members to go directly into their pockets we decided on an ebay drive.
The guidelines were simple. One man handles all the shipping. Another man handles all the auctions and financial transitions and financial tracking….. to be presented to the membership at the end.
Everyone go home and bring in anything, anything, anything.
Donate it to the club and say no more. The donator has no say as to a selling price or how it is listed. What ever it sells for is the final price. ( no need to drive the ebayer crazy)
It actually took a while to get the guys to bring in things to sell but the first week one person (ONLY) brought in an old engine.
It sold for 25 dollars on ebay and at the next meeting the sell price was announced.
That was all it took to move the rest of the members. They were asked to bring in anything they had but for the most part it was RC related items although there were some 20-year-old cordless drills and things like that.
Top price biased on final funds raised received a 100-dollar certificate to the local hobby shop. Second got 75 and third got 50. All in all it worked out well. The whole thing lasted about three months from start to finish.
Gross funds were about 1800.00. After everything.... we even put some money in the club funds as well.
First place raised about 500
Second place raised about 450
And third place raised about 100
Let them bring in anything because anything can sell on ebay…..
of the fifty members we had twelve participants only...