Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA Facts and Myths

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Facts and Myths

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 07:29 PM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA Facts and Myths

I know, you were probably expecting a diatribe on common mis-conceptions about the AMA. I am not qualified to write one. However, from reading through the various posts here, it seems one would be helpful.

Anyone up to the task? If it comes out good, it could become a sticky thread at the top of this forum.

I know it's all in the various documents on the AMA web site but there seem to be recurring issues like "...AMA is required to fly..." or "...AMA licenses RC Pilots..." or "...it's illegal to break the AMA safety code..."

Kent
Old 01-10-2003, 07:58 PM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: AMA Facts and Myths

Originally posted by TopShelf
I know, you were probably expecting a diatribe on common mis-conceptions about the AMA. I am not qualified to write one. However, from reading through the various posts here, it seems one would be helpful.

Anyone up to the task? If it comes out good, it could become a sticky thread at the top of this forum.

I know it's all in the various documents on the AMA web site but there seem to be recurring issues like "...AMA is required to fly..." or "...AMA licenses RC Pilots..." or "...it's illegal to break the AMA safety code..."

Kent
It would seem logical that someone from AMA headquarters would be the most qualified to set everyone straight on everything, but.....

Take care,
CCR
http://www.kites.org/rc_instructors
Old 01-10-2003, 08:12 PM
rsallen13
My Feedback: (1)

Default Re: AMA Facts and Myths

Originally posted by TopShelf
"...AMA is required to fly..." or "...AMA licenses RC Pilots..." or "...it's illegal to break the AMA safety code..."

Kent
1) AMA is not required to Fly! You can fly without it if you chose it is your choice.

2) There is no license to be an RC Pilot, though there are "insurance waivers" and such but they only impact the AMA insurance and not your ability to go out and fly.

3) The AMA has no legal authority and the AMA Safety Code is not a legal binding statute.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:23 PM
superfly-RCU

But I don't believe this has ever been asked>>>> IS AMA required at an AMA chartered field as 99% of our club fields are AMA Chartered ???? Can a non AMA person fly at an AMA club field without AMA ????
Old 01-10-2003, 08:35 PM
rsallen13
My Feedback: (1)

Yes but "ANY" AMA coverage at the field "WILL NOT" cover anything that individual does. If he hits something or someone your AMA coverage for the land owner will not cover this individual. The club as a whole and land owner would be individually responsible.

AMA is only required to "belong to the Chartered Club" and not to fly at the field. If fact there are several clubs in the us that fly side by side with non-AMA Flyers. I think one of the web sites was actually posted earlier. The "AMA" club fly's with AMA and the rest fly on a private insurance policy along with their Homeowners Insurance.