Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

DRATS! I just HATE it when HE's Right!!!

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

DRATS! I just HATE it when HE's Right!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 09:49 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DRATS! I just HATE it when HE's Right!!!

There is no doubt in my mind that the BIG "D" is 101% correct in this May issue of AMA's MA, however I just hate to admit to it. [sm=pirate.gif] Unfortunately AMA rules themselves create conditions where clubs HAVE to ban certain events.

For example few facilities can legally accommodate 3 pylon racing events. Simply takes too much room. Oh yes I do see it done where there is less than the required spacing, however many fields will not willfully bow to wanton breaking of an AMA Safety regulation for such an event, and 2 pylon racing just doesn't really make the blood pressure rise like 3 pylon.

Still, elitism and snobbery and whatever that thing is that requires the meek and mellow to band around and cling to those that as big "D" describes as "....foolhardy and stupid..." -- whatever it is, it will always be there and disgust a number of good modelers, which will tend to drive off many new-comers, and cause problems within a club. Never ceases to amaze me just how it happens, but happen it does.

Back to mostly Dave's thoughts, one little thing that he hits on that although I know he is right, in practice I just have to differ. When a newbie comes to a field, experienced or not, that field is there because of the labors of those before the newbie. IMO, it is the newbie's place to work himself into the group and become a part of the crowd. Other than some friendly help, NO ONE there owes newbie anything until newbie pays his dues by becoming one of the group.

Unfortunately many a newcomer is looking for the red-carpet treatment. Unfortunately many a hot-shot ace pilot is looking only for bows, and admiration. What is there in-between?
Old 04-26-2007, 05:55 AM
Mode One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DRATS! I just HATE it when HE's Right!!!

We're are the in-between. The R/Cer with experience; but, who is likely not the "Rock Star! I agree with you Hoss, when I joined a club, I thought these guys have been working at this awhile I can put my back into it and work hard at club duties and show these guys I have some merrit. It went along way towards helping make friends of the club members and speeds the process of becoming one of the guys!

I don't know that I've ever seen a beginner that thought just becasue he had paid his club dues he should be treated better then anyone else. Not saying it doesn't happen, just I ain't seen it. This sounds more like some of the "Ace" flyers I know. Don't lift a finger to help and think because they can "Hover" we all worship the ground they walk on. (This is nobody from my club, however! Hi Guys)!
Old 04-26-2007, 01:28 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

When a newbie comes to a field, experienced or not, that field is there because of the labors of those before the newbie. IMO, it is the newbie's place to work himself into the group and become a part of the crowd. Other than some friendly help, NO ONE there owes newbie anything until newbie pays his dues by becoming one of the group.

This kind of good ol boy attitude is exactly why many of the newbies and parkflyers want nothing to do with the AMA or its clubs. Joining a club should not involve a test to see if they are somehow worthy of your graces. They already are worthy...they paid their club dues, and are model aviation enthusiasts. Job done. They should be treated with the same respect as any of the existing club members.

It never ceases to amaze me how some AMA members forget that they too were beginners at one time.

Beginners in model aviation have enough to deal with in learning a skillset few have mastered. They dont need the added aggrevation of being chastized or belittled from fellow pilots that should be taking them in with open arms. We are here to promote the hobby, not make new pilots jump through hoops.

I dare anyone at my local field or club to attempt to make one of my student pilots "work" his way into the group. Ill call you out on it. He/She deserves to be there just as much as you do. And I will assist ANY new pilot in ANY way that I can to make sure they keep on flying and having fun with us. You and all the rest of your club OWE everything to the newbie. Without them, this hobby would die.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:54 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: bdavison

When a newbie comes to a field, experienced or not, that field is there because of the labors of those before the newbie. IMO, it is the newbie's place to work himself into the group and become a part of the crowd. Other than some friendly help, NO ONE there owes newbie anything until newbie pays his dues by becoming one of the group.

This kind of good ol boy attitude is exactly why many of the newbies and parkflyers want nothing to do with the AMA or its clubs. Joining a club should not involve a test to see if they are somehow worthy of your graces. They already are worthy...they paid their club dues, and are model aviation enthusiasts. Job done. They should be treated with the same respect as any of the existing club members.

It never ceases to amaze me how some AMA members forget that they too were beginners at one time.

Beginners in model aviation have enough to deal with in learning a skillset few have mastered. They dont need the added aggrevation of being chastized or belittled from fellow pilots that should be taking them in with open arms. We are here to promote the hobby, not make new pilots jump through hoops.

I dare anyone at my local field or club to attempt to make one of my student pilots "work" his way into the group. Ill call you out on it. He/She deserves to be there just as much as you do. And I will assist ANY new pilot in ANY way that I can to make sure they keep on flying and having fun with us. You and all the rest of your club OWE everything to the newbie. Without them, this hobby would die.
Great post!! I look to encourage and include any newbie in every aspect of the hobby that I enjoy. I was there once. I've given away a number of planes, paid AMA dues for two kids, assisted anyone with whatever I could. I would never make one "work" for their place in the club.

50%
Old 04-26-2007, 02:13 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have seen clubs that had really nice facilities which included air conditioned clubhouses, underground sprinklers, and beautiful landscaping. I and have been in clubs where all there was to the field was a big field cut by a bush-hog and a windsock made from pipe sticking out of the ground with a grocery bag tied to it.

Which was the better field? Since I was not into landscaping, had very limited time to fly, the second field was the best. The first club had leaders who were more interested in growing grass, planting flowers, and landscaping rock gardens then flying, and made it tough on the members who just wanted to pay their dues and fly. This club eventually split up due to many internal conflicts between members both old and new. However, the second club never grew because nobody would join together and help build up the organization.

Newbies, or anybody for that matter, will only stay involved if the club treats them equally, respects their interest in flying first and foremost, and then invites them through encouragement, not threats, to help the club and its facilites grow.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:44 PM
BillyGoat

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

IMO, it is the newbie's place to work himself into the group and become a part of the crowd. Other than some friendly help, NO ONE there owes newbie anything until newbie pays his dues by becoming one of the group.
What type of frat house hazing do you put a new member thru to prove his allegiance to the flying brotherhood in your club?

The attitude of... “This is my club and you must prove worthiness to be accepted†is the type of bunk that drives many newcomers to the soccer fields to fly or away from this sport all together.

I’m one of the charter members of our club and just because I have 20+ years of sweat into making it what it is today, provides me no more of a privilege than the fellow that is still waiting for the ink to dry on his membership card.

A club's chemistry is much better when established members treat newcomers as if they are already part of the group. Beginners that feel welcome right away put forth more effort, sooner towards the good of the club.

Your attitude Horace is wrong in so many ways I’m hoping that it is truly not your belief and you posted it jsut to get some spirited dialog going.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:18 PM
ptulmer

Once again I'm forced to agree with Hoss. I know what he's saying because it's obvious. Some guys come out to the field looking to have problems. When I first joined our club I went around and introduced myself to everyone. After making a little small talk and memorizing names, I was one of the group. No hazing involved. (that was just stupid) Others have had a little trouble integrating and become friends with the rest of the club. They don't normally last anyways. Too impatient and usually very self-centered. When joining a new club it's important to remember that club is there because of those guys you're joining. It didn't appear out of thin air.

A quick example. We've got a new club member that was sitting around talking about how stupid it was to fly small 1/2a airplanes. Here's your test question: Since 99% of what I fly is 1/2a, what do you think I did.

(A) Tell him he's stupid.
(B) Slap him and run away crying.
(C) Grab my best flying example out of the truck.

Answer: C

He's insulted about three other members since then. He'll probably make it because we're patient, tolerant southern boys. He's from New York, btw.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:24 AM
BillyGoat

Not everybody is as out going.

Some of our most productive members don’t converse much with the general membership. Had we waited for them to incorporate themselves as one of the group, it likely would have never happened. They show up at every work party, mow the grass on a regular basis, cook hot dogs at events etc. In fact a couple guys that fit this description left other clubs they labeled as a clique.

Idiots exist in any group but our philosophy is to assume every new member is a generally good guy until he proves other wise.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:16 PM
John Casey
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

This subject is sounding very familar..........HMMMMM

see (civil discourse pages 1-14)

(((("Unfortunately many a newcomer is looking for the red-carpet treatment.
Unfortunately many a hot-shot ace pilot is looking only for bows, and admiration.
What is there in-between? ")))))))

What is between is .........education, training and experience.

Bob Hoover did not get to be Bob Hoover overnight.

The modelers we "Bow to" got there because they learned to:
build, scratch build, fiberglass and fly beautiful aircraft really well..... and took the time to teach others
to do the same. Mentoring and passing on craftsmanship from one rc generation to the next
has become a lost art in the ARF culture. Those who do not want to take the time to "learn" get hateful
of the "Rock stars" and want the same admiration without having to do the building glassing, sanding, detailing,
and flying of aircraft with something greater than a 30 oz wing loading.

They don't want to do what it takes to become a "Rock star", they just want to be the "Rock Star"

Anyone showing up with a model aircraft should be welcomed by all,
regardless of his/her "status" in the club.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:25 PM
decay

I think its aditudes like HOSSFLYs & MODE ONE that keep new
flyers from becoming long time modelers. Everybody wants to
fly around people that are fun to be around, not cranky grumps
totaly set in there ways & open to nothing new.
They just find another hobby or another another place to fly (PARK).
Kiss another AMA member good buy! In reality we need him more than he
needs us. SAD isnt it?? And they think there loyal members??? Theres don't stink!!!
Old 05-01-2007, 10:02 PM
ptulmer

Perhaps you can explain why we need them so much? I don't really want to fly with people who have bad attitudes. Just can't see the great need myself.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:08 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Bdavison-

Well said! I agree with you 100%! The "pay your dues" attitude is what is wrong with this hobby!

I once moved to a town that had a large club and a nice field, so I paid my $$ dues to join. One perfect Saturday morning right after I joined, I went to the field to fly my plane and discovered I had the entire place to myself. About the time I was starting to pack up and wondering "Where are these guys?", several show up to work on the field. Obviously a work day.

So I walked over, introduced myself and offered to help with the project. Aside from a grunt or two I received no response whatsoever. No welcome to the club, here's a shovel, thanks for the offer or even an up yours! I was ignored or perhaps they were waiting to see if I would prove myself!

Well I proved myself alright! I unpacked my stuff and flew another round or two while they worked!

Is this how it is supposed to be?
Old 05-01-2007, 10:16 PM
ptulmer

2fast, that's not what Hossfly was talking about. So you ran into some jerks. It happens. I'm sure there's some nice guys in the club. Fly with them and don't worry about club work days. If you hadn't offered to help, you'd be the guy he was talking about.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:07 PM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Mr Ulmer! you just struck a nerve, I'm from NY BTW, and now I live in VA for the last 18 years. When I first arrived in VA in 1989, you southern boys weren't the friendliest bunch. I had to give a lot and take even more to fit in. Since 1989 I've worked my butt off for my club including contest directing the Mid Atlantic Jet Rally for the last 16 years, while you older southern gents just paid thier dues to fly with very little cooperation as far as help with any of the 3 events I ran during the seasons. Talking about BAD ATTITUDES! I'm no youngster myself being 56.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:43 PM
ptulmer

airega1, don't let me get to you. It's just that the guy at our field has a similar way to one of our more infamous NY'ers here on the forum. By no means do I really think everybody north of the Mason/Dixon line is snotty. Hey, we all go through hard spots in life to get or do what we want. I just don't think there's very many clubs that are so exclusive or cliquish. You never let them interfere with your good time, so what do they matter in the end?

FYI, I'm 33 and our club secretary. So I'm not one of the guys Hoss was talking about, either.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:19 PM
decay

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

Perhaps you can explain why we need them so much? I don't really want to fly with people who have bad attitudes. Just can't see the great need myself.

Often its club members that have the bad attitudes. Often a bunch of old grumps, who dont
really want any new people around. They've become used to flying with their old group of old grumps.

We need them cause more members mean more $$$. AMA membership is down over prior years,
but RC flyer numbers are up. People just find some where else to fly where they enjoy it.

Ever see a club where everybody has a Cub, and they just fly it around in circles all the time?

Will the AMA survive after the old generation passes? How much will dues be then?
Old 05-02-2007, 02:20 PM
airega1

No Problem, all in fun anyway
Frank
Old 05-02-2007, 04:48 PM
John Casey
Banned

If your not :

building model airplanes,
and flying model airplanes,
and teaching others to build and fly model airplanes then :

WHAT THE H&*K.... are you doing in a model airplane club?

If you are lonely for male comradiery, go find a G bar somewhere.

Those of us who want to build and fly will do so ............till its our turn to mow the lawn,
then we will .......mow the lawn.

Meanwhile please don't stand in the way of those "rock stars"
that keep the rest of us entertained at the field, with thier jets, and warbirds, Imac aircraft, helis and so on.

Don't be the grumpy jealous old man who just can't "get the spotlight" anymore,
you had your turn, now its our turn.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:54 PM
airega1

Rock stars, that's just what we need more of. and John, who was your post directed at?
Old 05-02-2007, 05:18 PM
John Casey
Banned

Well....it's only directed at the folks who forgot why we are in this hobby/sport...to build and fly aircraft and have fun.

And those who don't, should not stand in the way of those who can build / fly and promote our hobby/sport .

If your not collecting stamps, then why be a member in a stamp club?

More rock stars, more entertainment, more entertainment...more fun, more fun ,
more members in the hobby.

Boring flying fields are not much fun to be at.

We don't go to the reno airshow or oshkosh to see the bland...

We go to see the "Rock Stars of aviation". Model aviation is no different.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:44 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

I would like to offer a slightly different perspective. I travel a lot for my job, and I like to take the time to go visit local model airfields. I have developed the following approach, which never seems to fail:

Arrive at the field around 10:00 AM. Invariably there are one or two early birds that are already flying. More will usually show up later.

Find a safe, comfortable place to quietly observe the flyers.

After I've been there for about a half an hour, I'll look for opportunities to say "hi" to anyone close by. This is generally done from the spectator side of the fence. Complementing a good looking plane or the individual flying skills is a great ice breaker.

By this time, I have usually established a casual conversation with one or more people, and I end up spending a very nice afternoon with some new friends, and leave with an invitation to bring a plane with me next time I'm in town.

I have yet to run into anyone so grumpy they don't want anything to do with me. This approach has worked all over the country.

Whenever I'm at my home field, and I see someone standing around in the spectator area, I ALWAYS walk over and introduce myself. Sometimes I get an old member to return to the club, sometimes I get a new member join the club, and sometimes I just meet an interesting person. I've honestly never met a genuine grouch at the field. The person standing there watching has already taken a step toward the club. Meet them half-way, and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Our clubs depend on both old and new members alike for survival. Neither is more important. Some work harder than others at different tasks. Don't ignore the newbie - they just might be the one willing to step up and serve as club president when no one else wants the job (I was).

Brad
Old 05-02-2007, 10:07 PM
BUTCHIEBOY

I don't go to the field to see "ROCK STARS", I go to fly my planes and enjoy the fellowship of other members. Old or young, it does not matter, I enjoy them all. "SEE ROCK STARS", what a ridiculous statement John. Never seen a ROCK STAR at the flying field, just people enjoying our hobby.
Does it really matter if someone flies or not if you enjoy their company at the field? What a bunch of bogus statements.[:'(]
Old 05-02-2007, 10:38 PM
JUGFLIER

Geez whiz. By the way John, tell Jeff Weis that was a beautiful FW he had at the AMA convention that i saw in the magazine this month. I guess not too many people in here saw the just outstanding models represented there. If they had maybe they would know what you were talking bout.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post removed.......... Jimmy Skids
Old 05-03-2007, 12:56 PM
John Casey
Banned

When I mentioned the difference between people that work to become "rock stars"
of the hobby and those that just want to be "Rock stars" without having to do the
modeling work to get there,I meant no disrespect to those of us who are not "rock stars"
But if you want to be one....WORK AT IT, ask the rock stars how to:
glass, scratch build, paint, what sandpaper to use , what resins to use.

Don't sit around and be jealous because they know how to do it and you don't,
learn it, they will be more than glad to teach you.

Dave Platte did not get to be Dave Platte overnight ethier, he did the modeling work to get there.

I am also one of, and thank the guys that mow the lawns and do the work to keep up a site.
I clean up the site EVERY sunday night before I leave and saturday morning when I get there.
And when my eyesight and reflexes are totally gone too, I will be one of those "mowing the lawn guys" ...full time,
but for now its part time.

If you have all the "rock stars" mowing the grass and flipping burgers,
whose going to entertain the crowds during the weekend and at events,
better yet whose going to fly at those events.... the guy with the sweet stick?

Its really great to see the eyes light up and the excitement build in the pits, when a
beautiful twin engine warbird or Jet shows up at a flying site, that takes alot of "modeling" work too.
That kind of work and the attention it brings can unforunately bring with it some jealousy
and hatred from those who can't or won't do that level of modeling work.

Thanks jugflier Mr weiss, is a good example of being screwed "because" of his great modeling work.
Any club should be so lucky as to have modelers/builders and pilots of Mr weiss's caliber.

There are alot of facets to this hobby, we are here to build,
fly and improve the facilities that support the hobby/sport,
we just can't do it all in the same timeline.
We do different parts at different times in our "rc career".

And that is the part that Dave is right about, things change, don't stand in the way of that improvment.
I am very proud to have corrupted several ARF pilots by getting them into "building"aircraft.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.