Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Is it time?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Is it time?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 05:00 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it time?

What do you think about AMA allowing "Spread Spectrum use only" clubs? Maybe some special considerations such as a NO minimum site separation/frequency agreement needed between existing club(s) clause. Other ideas?

Too soon?

Question re-worded for better clarity...I hope!
Old 01-23-2008, 06:18 PM
Live Wire

Default RE: Is it time?

I think I mist your call
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23990.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	859204  
Old 01-23-2008, 06:32 PM
littlecrankshaf

LOL You are coming in loud and clear. I re-worded some to hopefully make more clear.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:35 PM
abel_pranger

Why not? AMA has done essentially that at Muncie, providing an area set aside for for PFs to operate in while events are underway. Seems like a fine way to physically separate types of models that don't mix well at flying sites, like planks and helis, as no frequency coordination is needed. Wouldn't need to be separate clubs, but no legit reason it could not be, side-by-side.

Abel
Old 01-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Mode One

Sounds great! I might miss my other flying buds, though! Please explain somthing, if I have SS do I have to join a SS Club, or do I have a choice?
Old 01-23-2008, 07:57 PM
The Toolman

ORIGINAL: Mode One

Sounds great! I might miss my other flying buds, though! Explain somthing though, if I have SS do I have to join a SS Club, or do I have a choice?

That'll be ANOTHER $58 with a special SS monthly magazine ........

Ron
Old 01-23-2008, 08:02 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont think its a good idea after all in the next five years most flyers will be on 2.4ghz.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:21 AM
DelRay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ira,

Question, where do you get your information that in the next five years most flyers will be on 2.4ghz? Or did you mean most flyers in your location? If so, it wouldn't be an idea then (good or bad), it would be a reality.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:27 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

What do you think about AMA having all 2.4 SS clubs? Maybe some special considerations such as a NO site separation clause. Other ideas?

Too soon?

Its already in existence. There is a newly chartered AMA club in my area with 6 members. 2.4 ONLY due to proximity to another field that is used occasionally by some glider folks.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:53 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: P-51B

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

What do you think about AMA having all 2.4 SS clubs? Maybe some special considerations such as a NO site separation clause. Other ideas?

Too soon?

Its already in existence. There is a newly chartered AMA club in my area with 6 members. 2.4 ONLY due to proximity to another field that is used occasionally by some glider folks.
Interesting. Do you know if the new club had to sign some type of freq. agreement with the other club, as has been SOP? or was it merely a condition/option of the charter by AMA without any accord of the existing club?
Old 01-24-2008, 11:07 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Now I'm wondering why this club is even an AMA club ... seeing 2.4 ghz is the so called beginning of the end of the AMA, or so some believe. The way I see it, 2.4 will only encourage better organization and that is the key to the AMA's success ... always has been. If 2.4 ghz inspires more modelers to fly more safely, it will inspire more people to join the AMA.

I'm sure we'll see more 2.4 clubs pop up. But for every positive aspect 2.4 ghz brings ... there will always be one negative aspect associated with it. At least that's what Newton thinks.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:41 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

The way I see it, 2.4 will only encourage better organization and that is the key to the AMA's success ... always has been.
We may differ there... if you mean "better" as in more, then I disagree but if you mean "better" as in less organization I agree. Not sure by the way you phrased it.

ORIGINAL: STLPilot
If 2.4 ghz inspires more modelers to fly more safely, it will inspire more people to join the AMA.

I really don't see how 2.4 inspire modelers to fly more safely. If they wish to fly recklessly or safely has no bearing on the freq. used.

If you had only said "If 2.4 ghz inspires more modelers to fly, it will also inspire more people to join the AMA." I would say you are right but...

Maybe you meant to say; "If 2.4 ghz inspires more modelers to fly without concerns of safety due to freq. conflicts/interference, it will also inspire more people to join the AMA." I would also agree. Not sure what you are getting at with your post tho.

I will whole heartedly agree if you meant…"To fly without momma looking over your shoulder will be a good thing."... The hobby can grow as well as AMA... What’s good for the goose is good for the gander…or something like that
Old 01-24-2008, 01:05 PM
STLPilot

My post is just as stated, not meant to be anything different. I don't care how people fly and never mentioned it ... that's up to them to decide. Nothing controls the human mind, but technology controls the radios. A 9mm gun with a safety lock and a key causes the same damage as without one. But hey, you agreed no matter which way you saw it, so we'll just let the rest lie where it fell.

The marketeers at Futaba, JR and so forth are pushing safety first in trying to get these into the hands of the consumers. Anything that "inspires" safety is a plus for the AMA, that's one of the reasons they have not left the building. AMA's as an organization, creates ... organization, which in turn creates safety.

I don't believe the 2.4 is going to be anything more then a new beginning to a larger AMA organization. So far we are 1 for 1 on the RCU AMA Forum for an AMA 2.4 club that did not sway from the AMA's evil clutches in forming their own club. I guess they see value in the organization. I see more following suit, both PPP's and $58ers.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:07 PM
P-51B

LCS,

Although the glider flyers are members of an AMA club, the field where they occassionally fly is not officially a club flying site, at least it isn't listed anywhere as one of their three sites.

The 2.4 club could have gotten their AMA charter without any AMA problems.

The 2.4 club chose to go the 2.4 only route simply to avoid any problems.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:17 PM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Let me understand this, if my fellow club member hits me with his airplane because of his dumb thumbs, I will only get hurt if his radio was a 6 meter or 72mz type, if he has a 2.4 and flies into me I will be uninjured. Get Real! AMA has primarily survived because clubs need insurance coverage for their field property owners. Insurance is still going to be needed no matter what type technology the transmitters have. People injure other people, not the radio type. Ever hear the term pilot error? Or are we just talking in circles again so we can hear ourselves talk?
Old 01-24-2008, 03:43 PM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: k3 valley flyer

Let me understand this, if my fellow club member hits me with his airplane because of his dumb thumbs, I will only get hurt if his radio was a 6 meter or 72mz type, if he has a 2.4 and flies into me I will be uninjured. Get Real! AMA has primarily survived because clubs need insurance coverage for their field property owners. Insurance is still going to be needed no matter what type technology the transmitters have. People injure other people, not the radio type. Ever hear the term pilot error? Or are we just talking in circles again so we can hear ourselves talk?
Yes now we are talking in circles. I think I already said it doesn't matter to me, don't care how someone flies and it was never part of the discussion.

My point is that is has been said on more then one occasion, in more then one thread that 2.4 will be the beginning of the end of the AMA due to the fact the clubs just won't need the AMA anymore. Well so far that theory did not hold up with the very first posted case study. It's my belief, which is not typically the norm in this forum, afterall I am a very big proponent of the PPP, that 2.4 will sprout up MORE AMA clubs then take them away. That's it ...
Old 01-24-2008, 05:17 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Well, 2.4 ain't gonna make dumb thumbs any smarter, but it might help prevent interference from crashing your buddy's plane into you or others.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:45 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

So, lets see. Frequency acquisition has been touted as part of the AMA's value to it's members. Ifyou fly 2.4GHZ you should be able to opt out of that benefit. Lets pick a number, say $8.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:47 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: DelRay

Ira,

Question, where do you get your information that in the next five years most flyers will be on 2.4ghz? Or did you mean most flyers in your location? If so, it wouldn't be an idea then (good or bad), it would be a reality.
No one told me that but IMO 2.4 will be what is available for most radios being sold
in about five years. But I dont think its a good idea for the AMA to set up 2.4 only
clubs.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:06 PM
P-51B

I would need to double check this, but AMA isn't going to cover you regardless. I don't think AMA coverage is member to member is it?
Old 01-24-2008, 09:12 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: P-51B

I would need to double check this, but AMA isn't going to cover you regardless. I don't think AMA coverage is member to member is it?
P-51B -

Do double check, but IIRC AMA has tried to eliminate member to member coverage, but backed down to angry member feedback. It's kind of a moot point though, given the trend in the courts to favor the 'assumption of risk' defense. That makes member to member liability cases a long shot to win (for the claimant) anyway, and I suspect AMA would like to have it go away without having to pay the costs of legal defenses, and generate ill will amongst members when they win (i.e., do not pay). If you find an authoritative answer or something else on the issue to discuss, please start a new topic.

Abel
Old 01-25-2008, 11:50 AM
k3 valley flyer

AMA clubs based on type of radio technology used is illogical. I can still hurt someone with a 2.4 radio if I can't fly well, insurance is still needed by individuals and clubs, regardless of the radio technology. Or does 2.4 make me the pilot crash proof? If so I want 2 right now.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:01 PM
STLPilot

AMA clubs based on type of radio technology used is illogical. I can still hurt someone with a 2.4 radio if I can't fly well, insurance is still needed by individuals and clubs, regardless of the radio technology. Or does 2.4 make me the pilot crash proof? If so I want 2 right now.
How could it be illogical? For one thing you no longer have to worry about frequency boards or planes being shot down. You never have to ask someone if they are finished using a frequency. You also don't have to worry about any other clubs within 3 miles ever moving in around you if you just dropped $50,000 into a brand new site. Nothing will stop planes from going out of control, but ease of use will certainly keep club members happier. Ever get pissed off at the glider guy for keeping his plane in the air for a half hour? Well with 2.4 club, can't happen.

Expect to see many more 2.4 clubs popping up in the near future. But just like anything else it will be their choice to decide, not the AMA's.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:27 PM
abel_pranger

k3VF-

Of course it won't improve your flying skill, but it does insure you won't interfere with or be interfered by other RCers. I think it safe to assume that no club would apply for AMA charter with a SS-only restriction unless there was anticipation of frequency conflicts with another site. This would only be an existing AMA club within 3 miles of the proposed club site, in which case AMA would not charter the new club w/o a freq mgmt agreement. AMA does not recognize the existence of non-AMA clubs/flying sites, and they therefore do not appear in AMAs locator database, so there would be no need for the new club to impose such a restriction on themselves to acquire AMA charter. If such a condition were agreed to, AMA would have no legitimate reason to turn away the new club, nor can I imagine why they would, even if the frequency management agreement were completely one-sided; that is, the new club agrees to operate only on SS, precluding any conflict with the existing club and so existing club has no standing in the matter of chartering the new club.

Very topical issue - yes OP, it is time for AMA to make a policy change/statement on this question.

Abel
Old 01-25-2008, 02:15 PM
k3 valley flyer

Well ok then, we got regualr AMA clubs, PPP clubs, 2.4 only clubs, let's see what else can we add? How about a Sunday only from 9am to noon club? Come on guys let's hear some other great ideas? Oh yeah, lets have a different dues structure and magazine options for each one. I got one, must fly inverted only club, let's hear some more?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.