Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

IMAA

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 08:03 PM
frankp
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMAA

As most of you know, the IMAA is the largest SIG within the AMA. Over the past eight years, the membership of the IMAA has dwindled and is now hovering around 6000 members. At the current rate of decline, the membership will fall to the mid 1980's level. Unfortunately, the Officers and Directors have done nothing to stem the tide of falling membership.

With the changing times in our hobby, the management of the IMAA has done nothing to update and modernize the IMAA mission statement or define what unique part the IMAA plays, or would like to play, in todays model aviation enviorment.

It is my opinion that unless the core membership of the IMAA becomes involved, the IMAA will go the way of the QSAA. If you feel as I do that the IMAA is in need of a new direction, please e-mail your thoughts and recomendations to me.

Frank V. Ponteri
Old 02-15-2008, 09:06 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Default RE: IMAA

Frank

As far as I can tell, despite falling membership levels, the IMAA is a very successful organization and has fulfilled its directive to promote large scale model aviation. On any given day at two separate club flying fields that I belong to there is typically a greater number of IMAA size birds than any other.

Kudos to IMAA for a job well done!
Old 02-16-2008, 02:20 AM
KidEpoxy

Perhaps IMAA can swell its ranks with the droves of PPP folks we are expecting to join.
They just have to build light
Old 02-16-2008, 09:35 AM
Johnny Mojo

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Perhaps IMAA can swell its ranks with the droves of PPP folks we are expecting to join.
They just have to build light
Now that was funny right there!
Old 02-16-2008, 10:10 AM
frankp

Your observation is right on the mark. The IMAA did a wonderful job in promoting giant scale modeling. We held great events that were well attended at which we shared information and flew our aircraft in a non-competitive enviorment. The problem is that the IMAA did such a great job that many people no longer feel a need to join. Some of todays giant scale flyers do not even know what the IMAA is.

The reality of the membership problem is that membership directly equates to mony. Today, the IMAA budget is higher or equal to budgets when the membership was around 10,000. The cash reserves that were built up over the years are being spent to pay current bills. The past issue of High Flight had 42 advertisers listed. This is about half the number of advertisers that could be found in the magazing just a few years ago.

Yes, the IMAA has done a great job in promoting giant scale but the question remains, what is it's function today?
Old 02-16-2008, 03:04 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: frankp

Your observation is right on the mark. The IMAA did a wonderful job in promoting giant scale modeling. We held great events that were well attended at which we shared information and flew our aircraft in a non-competitive enviorment. The problem is that the IMAA did such a great job that many people no longer feel a need to join. Some of todays giant scale flyers do not even know what the IMAA is.

The reality of the membership problem is that membership directly equates to mony. Today, the IMAA budget is higher or equal to budgets when the membership was around 10,000. The cash reserves that were built up over the years are being spent to pay current bills. The past issue of High Flight had 42 advertisers listed. This is about half the number of advertisers that could be found in the magazing just a few years ago.

Yes, the IMAA has done a great job in promoting giant scale but the question remains, what is it's function today?
Frank

Not to overstate the obvious but to highlight a point you have already made; IMAA is paying bills to stay in business to collect money to pay bills so they can continue to collect money to pay bills…seems sorta like real life…. Anyway it seems we are getting to the part of the movie where they light up the cigarettes... But wait maybe there is a second wind…maybe the goal just needs to be a little higher. How about 35% scale 110" or greater wingspan minimums and/or 55# or greater weight…these are the new big birds. I know these are already included but it is the distinction of class that gave IMAA the gas in the first place.

AMA has essentially absorbed the previous big bird and their events.

It just may be time to push the envelope.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:02 PM
loser
My Feedback: (37)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the dwindling membership represents "the change" the hobby has taken in the past 5 years or so. In my opinion the hobby today is MUCH more about RC Flying than RC modeling/building/flying. There are so many very good quality ARFS these days that most newbies to the hobby would never consider or even want to build a plane. All you have to do is fork over the money and anyone can have a first class IMAA legal plane. I think much of the IMAA appeal was the modelling part of the hobby...building, designing, tinkering, the dreaming of imagining "your plane" taking off the first time. That Mystique is pretty much gone or non-existant in "new RC guys". The new guys just want to fly and can do that in many nearby parks or AMA fields. Most of the young guys (~30 or less) did not grow up building any types of models and dont have that interest. Its just a different mind-set.

Time marches on for all of us and as we age (and pass on) I think there are fewer and fewer "modelers" who want to, or enjoy putting the time into building. I am not bashing ARF"S....I have several and they are great and fly excellent. Its obvious the great benefit that arfs have given the flying part of our hobby, at least in my area. I see more and more new guys every year and so many of them get to be excellent pilots so damn quick!!!!.....due to ARFS and Sims!!!!!.

I hope the IMAA survives and even grows. I also would love to see more guys get back into building but I wont hold my breath. i have slowed down lately and fully understand how "modern life" cuts into play time. But...I sure do love to show up at an event with something I built that is different than 3/4 of the ARF's there..... BUT.... ITS ALL GOOD.....FLY, BUILD, CRASH.....Just do it !!!

Steve
Old 02-16-2008, 05:03 PM
frankp

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

Frank

Not to overstate the obvious but to highlight a point you have already made; IMAA is paying bills to stay in business to collect money to pay bills so they can continue to collect money to pay bills…seems sorta like real life…. Anyway it seems we are getting to the part of the movie where they light up the cigarettes... But wait maybe there is a second wind…maybe the goal just needs to be a little higher. How about 35% scale 110" or greater wingspan minimums and/or 55# or greater weight…these are the new big birds. I know these are already included but it is the distinction of class that gave IMAA the gas in the first place.

AMA has essentially absorbed the previous big bird and their events.

It just may be time to push the envelope.
Your idea deserves serious consideration.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:06 PM
frankp

ORIGINAL: loser

I think the dwindling membership represents "the change" the hobby has taken in the past 5 years or so. In my opinion the hobby today is MUCH more about RC Flying than RC modeling/building/flying. There are so many very good quality ARFS these days that most newbies to the hobby would never consider or even want to build a plane. All you have to do is fork over the money and anyone can have a first class IMAA legal plane. I think much of the IMAA appeal was the modelling part of the hobby...building, designing, tinkering, the dreaming of imagining "your plane" taking off the first time. That Mystique is pretty much gone or non-existant in "new RC guys". The new guys just want to fly and can do that in many nearby parks or AMA fields. Most of the young guys (~30 or less) did not grow up building any types of models and dont have that interest. Its just a different mind-set.

Time marches on for all of us and as we age (and pass on) I think there are fewer and fewer "modelers" who want to, or enjoy putting the time into building. I am not bashing ARF"S....I have several and they are great and fly excellent. Its obvious the great benefit that arfs have given the flying part of our hobby, at least in my area. I see more and more new guys every year and so many of them get to be excellent pilots so damn quick!!!!.....due to ARFS and Sims!!!!!.

I hope the IMAA survives and even grows. I also would love to see more guys get back into building but I wont hold my breath. i have slowed down lately and fully understand how "modern life" cuts into play time. But...I sure do love to show up at an event with something I built that is different than 3/4 of the ARF's there..... BUT.... ITS ALL GOOD.....FLY, BUILD, CRASH.....Just do it !!!

Steve
Steve,

Great post. I believe you have highlighted a big part of the cause of the IMAA's problem.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

It is also possible that the IMAA has served it's purpose in that larger aircraft have become self sustaining in the hobby world. With enough dollars it is possible to go fly a plug and play big bird and never have to build or create a single component in it.
As someone here has already pointed out the AMA has usurped most of the value that the SIG had to offer. Politics, infighting,and pictures of fat old men with their planes are already nicely handled by the current AMA offerings.
The generation that would most closely fit the demographic of the earlier membership spends too much of their time defending their flying style to the previous generation of big bird fliers.
I have been a member of IMAA since the mid 90s and a modeler since the beginning of the 50s. I maintain my membership soley to fly at a few IMAA required fly ins each year.
Maybe the big bird concept has successfully flown from the nest and will continue to prosper without the benefit of the parent.

As most of you know, the IMAA is the largest SIG within the AMA. Over the past eight years, the membership of the IMAA has dwindled and is now hovering around 6000 members. At the current rate of decline, the membership will fall to the mid 1980's level. Unfortunately, the Officers and Directors have done nothing to stem the tide of falling membership.

With the changing times in our hobby, the management of the IMAA has done nothing to update and modernize the IMAA mission statement or define what unique part the IMAA plays, or would like to play, in todays model aviation enviorment.

It is my opinion that unless the core membership of the IMAA becomes involved, the IMAA will go the way of the QSAA. If you feel as I do that the IMAA is in need of a new direction, please e-mail your thoughts and recomendations to me.

Frank V. Ponteri
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27560.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	880491  
Old 02-16-2008, 06:36 PM
frankp

ORIGINAL: Gremlin Castle

It is also possible that the IMAA has served it's purpose in that larger aircraft have become self sustaining in the hobby world. With enough dollars it is possible to go fly a plug and play big bird and never have to build or create a single component in it.
As someone here has already pointed out the AMA has usurped most of the value that the SIG had to offer. Politics, infighting,and pictures of fat old men with their planes are already nicely handled by the current AMA offerings.
The generation that would most closely fit the demographic of the earlier membership spends too much of their time defending their flying style to the previous generation of big bird fliers.
I have been a member of IMAA since the mid 90s and a modeler since the beginning of the 50s. I maintain my membership soley to fly at a few IMAA required fly ins each year.
Maybe the big bird concept has successfully flown from the nest and will continue to prosper without the benefit of the parent.

Frank V. Ponteri
No arguement on anything you have stated (except for the old fat men remark). The question is do you as a member want the IMAA to survive and if so what would YOU do to improve that likelyhood? What I am seeking is recomendations!
Old 02-16-2008, 07:17 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

Frank, I suggest that IMAA be allowed to dis-band in a gracefull fashion.

Like it or not, giant scale marched on and expanded without IMAA guidance.

The officers in IMAA would serve the giant scale arena better by guiding the current AMA group in Muncie acting as a voice of reason rather than allowing decisions to be made in Muncie that are out of context with the national needs and reality.

And I stand by my fat old man remark.[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39446.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	880548  
Old 02-16-2008, 08:13 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Over the past eight years, the membership of the IMAA has dwindled and is now hovering around 6000 members.
Frank, the "I" being "International", how many of those 6000 members live outside the U.S. and Canada? If the idea of littlecranksaf were implemented so that the base scale of IMAA increased, wouldn't the membership decline even further, since those pilots flying 33% and larger is a smaller subset of all R/C pilots? If the guys over in Europe are part of this total 6000 number, that's an even greater statement of the decline in membership over here. If those guys AREN'T part of this total number, A) Why not? , and B) what then makes IMAA an international association, unless it's just divided between USA and Canada? The reason I mention our European brothers is that some of those guys have taken giant scale to the next level. I'm not even sure you could call some of their models Miniature Aircraft.

As someone above said, I keep my IMAA membership just so I can fly at some of the giant scale fly-ins that require it; I like flying giant scale at fly-ins where the flying is restricted to larger planes; typically the pilots are a bit more fastidious and prepared, if not any more considerate at times, and the air tends to be less crowded, but it seems a shame to have to pay twice (AMA and IMAA) to go to a fly-in. High Flight has some good articles, but the magazine needs more COLOR, and the price of membership justifies more than a quarterly issuance of the magazine.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:56 PM
frankp

ORIGINAL: khodges

Over the past eight years, the membership of the IMAA has dwindled and is now hovering around 6000 members.
Frank, the "I" being "International", how many of those 6000 members live outside the U.S. and Canada? If the idea of littlecranksaf were implemented so that the base scale of IMAA increased, wouldn't the membership decline even further, since those pilots flying 33% and larger is a smaller subset of all R/C pilots? If the guys over in Europe are part of this total 6000 number, that's an even greater statement of the decline in membership over here. If those guys AREN'T part of this total number, A) Why not? , and B) what then makes IMAA an international association, unless it's just divided between USA and Canada? The reason I mention our European brothers is that some of those guys have taken giant scale to the next level. I'm not even sure you could call some of their models Miniature Aircraft.

As someone above said, I keep my IMAA membership just so I can fly at some of the giant scale fly-ins that require it; I like flying giant scale at fly-ins where the flying is restricted to larger planes; typically the pilots are a bit more fastidious and prepared, if not any more considerate at times, and the air tends to be less crowded, but it seems a shame to have to pay twice (AMA and IMAA) to go to a fly-in. High Flight has some good articles, but the magazine needs more COLOR, and the price of membership justifies more than a quarterly issuance of the magazine.
If I had to guess, the total number of members living outside of the US is most likely under 400. Canada, to the best of my knowledge, has less than 200 while Mexico and South America and Europe have a handfull. Even when the membership was at it's highest, the percentage of international members was only around 500.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:49 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Frank V. Ponteri

//snip//

The question is do you as a member want the IMAA to survive and if so what would YOU do to improve that likelyhood? What I am seeking is recomendations!
IMAA is just like AMA. The Board has their little position and the membership does nothing about it.

IMAA tied the noose around their own neck when they traded with Dave Brown reference Sanctioning Procedures. When IMAA gave away the sanctioned event distance separations for AMA SIG status and insurance, IMAA started rolling down feces-hill gathering same as they accelerated downhill.
In the larger areas where there are a number of clubs, and a club obtains the IMAA/AMA sanction which is called Cr -- non rule book event with restricted entry -- then works for months to get a great show organized, and now 2 months before the event a nearby club, certain individuals with A/Hs on both ends of the torso, sanction an AMA C event through only AMA using IMAA's defined Big Bird sizes, then the IMAA Event loses half or more of its potential draw. [:@] This is reason enough to never sanction through IMAA, because doing so can well be a disaster. IMAA sits on its butt and does nothing to get that ball out of play. I have written about that but the Dist. Director is like an AMA DVP and simply says, "Uh Huh" when at a director's meeting. Without IMAA Sanctioned events in the area, who will even know such exists?

It is difficult enough to get guys to pay AMA dues and the numbers clearly indicate that group is on a downhill slide also. There is no reason for most fliers to think about IMAA. They can do their flying at regular AMA events. IMAC has captured the contemporary Big Bird people, other than the scale purists, which no longer need IMAA because there are adequate scale events and regular AMA Fly-Ins for their needs.

Like AMA depends on the Charter Clubs to sell their wares, IMAA tries to stand on some plank that has long faded away. Kind of like that guy all blindfolded and tied up being punched at with a sword on the plank over the deep sea. Just not a bright future when the leaders are all blindfolded, the membership doesn't care and only the sharks await. [X(]

Please correct me if I am wrong, but IIRC, a person can compete in an IMAC event without belonging to IMAC. The same goes for all other AMA sanctioned events which may be the event operated by a specific SIG, such as Pattern, Pylon and Scale.

Therefore:

(1) IMAA needs to immediately lobby Dave Mathewson and the AMA EC using IMAA Directors one-on-one with the AMA DVPs, and get that stupid assinine AMA Cr thing deleted with normal C separations between IMAA Fly-In events and regular AMA Fly-Ins.

(2) IMAA must allow Contest Directors to allow non-IMAA to fly in an IMAA Event, however with no elgibility for any awards, etc., but to get those people into the IMAA circle of friends and become knowledgeable about IMAA.

If IMAA fails to do this, then the hill will just get steeper.

While some IMAA officials may think that this IMAA member making the above statement is in violation of Article VII, Section 11 of the IMAA Bylaws, I think not because I plainly differentiate between IMAA's position and my own. [>:]

IMAA 04598 Chapter 148

Edited; Always have to type IMMA vice IMAA. []
Old 02-17-2008, 11:40 AM
frankp

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Frank V. Ponteri

//snip//

The question is do you as a member want the IMAA to survive and if so what would YOU do to improve that likelyhood? What I am seeking is recomendations!
IMAA is just like AMA. The Board has their little position and the membership does nothing about it.

IMAA tied the noose around their own neck when they traded with Dave Brown reference Sanctioning Procedures. When IMAA gave away the sanctioned event distance separations for AMA SIG status and insurance, IMAA started rolling down feces-hill gathering same as they accelerated downhill.
In the larger areas where there are a number of clubs, and a club obtains the IMAA/AMA sanction which is called Cr -- non rule book event with restricted entry -- then works for months to get a great show organized, and now 2 months before the event a nearby club, certain individuals with A/Hs on both ends of the torso, sanction an AMA C event through only AMA using IMAA's defined Big Bird sizes, then the IMAA Event loses half or more of its potential draw. [:@] This is reason enough to never sanction through IMAA, because doing so can well be a disaster. IMAA sits on its butt and does nothing to get that ball out of play. I have written about that but the Dist. Director is like an AMA DVP and simply says, "Uh Huh" when at a director's meeting. Without IMAA Sanctioned events in the area, who will even know such exists?

It is difficult enough to get guys to pay AMA dues and the numbers clearly indicate that group is on a downhill slide also. There is no reason for most fliers to think about IMAA. They can do their flying at regular AMA events. IMAC has captured the contemporary Big Bird people, other than the scale purists, which no longer need IMAA because there are adequate scale events and regular AMA Fly-Ins for their needs.

Like AMA depends on the Charter Clubs to sell their wares, IMAA tries to stand on some plank that has long faded away. Kind of like that guy all blindfolded and tied up being punched at with a sword on the plank over the deep sea. Just not a bright future when the leaders are all blindfolded, the membership doesn't care and only the sharks await. [X(]

Please correct me if I am wrong, but IIRC, a person can compete in an IMAC event without belonging to IMAC. The same goes for all other AMA sanctioned events which may be the event operated by a specific SIG, such as Pattern, Pylon and Scale.

Therefore:

(1) IMAA needs to immediately lobby Dave Mathewson and the AMA EC using IMAA Directors one-on-one with the AMA DVPs, and get that stupid assinine AMA Cr thing deleted with normal C separations between IMAA Fly-In events and regular AMA Fly-Ins.

(2) IMAA must allow Contest Directors to allow non-IMAA to fly in an IMAA Event, however with no elgibility for any awards, etc., but to get those people into the IMAA circle of friends and become knowledgeable about IMAA.

If IMAA fails to do this, then the hill will just get steeper.

While some IMAA officials may think that this IMAA member making the above statement is in violation of Article VII, Section 11 of the IMAA Bylaws, I think not because I plainly differentiate between IMAA's position and my own. [>:]

IMAA 04598 Chapter 148

Edited; Always have to type IMMA vice IMAA. []
Horrace,

It has been some time since we shared our thoughts on the IMAA. As usual, you are on the mark. Many of the items you have mentioned were contained in a motion that I presented to the board at the last meeting that I attended prior to resigning as D1 director. Needless to say my motion fell of deaf ears. I see that at the last meeting, the board passed a watered down version of part of what I had proposed. Too little too late!

The sorry part about what is now happening with the IMAA is the total lack of leadership. The IMAA board of directors in conjuction with the president, changed the bi-laws in order to eliminate the winter board meeting. The 2008 board meeting will be held in June in CANADA at the IMAA Rally. The reason given for NOT having the winter meeting was that the board COULD NOT COME UP WITH AND AGENDA!! The IMAA is loosing members and money, advertising is dwindling, the budget is bloted and they could not come up with and agenda??

I would like to say a few words about District 12, Canada. This district covers a land mass that goes from the Atlantic to the Pacific ocean and from the US boarder to the artic circle. Some years ago, the IMAA board decided to allow a director to represent this district. All of it! The total membership of District 12 is less that 200 members. I have no idea how many of those members live within 500 miles of their district director or the location of this years IMAA Rally. The point is that having a single director for and area of this size is a waste of thousands of IMAA membership dues. I have asked the District V IMAA Director to propose a motion eliminating district 12. The district, under my proposal would be broken up into three or four sections that boarder the US and extend northward. Members within the sections would become members in good standing of the US District. The could run for District Director or any other elected position within the IMAA. As and example, Eastern Canada would become part of District One. This plan will save the IMAA thousands of dollars each year and give the membership in Canada greater access to their director.

I intend to forward your suggestions to my director for his consideration.

Frank P
Old 02-18-2008, 07:12 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Deleted post
Old 02-18-2008, 03:18 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Even when the membership was at it's highest, the percentage of international members was only around 500.
Sort of like calling the American baseball championship the "WORLD" Series when we're the only ones who play. Maybe the original intent was to encourage and create a truly international group of giant scale modelers; everyone else saw quickly enough that they could fly big planes without having to pay for the extra membership and not really get anything for it.

If anyone was allowed at an IMAA event without being a member of IMAA, what's the point of paying for the membership? Most people , IMO, don't care about the competitive aspects, they just want an opportunity to fly big planes with other guys who fly big planes, without having to deal with little planes. If you want to compete, there are the events like Mint Julep where you can build and fly for judging, and maybe earn a ticket to Scale Masters or Top Gun down the road, if that is your goal.
Don't get me wrong about IMAA membership, like I said before, the only reason I ever joined was to be able to go to some giant scale fly-ins and be able to fly. It is like paying for admission twice, because AMA is also required at these events. IMAA has outlived its usefulness, I think.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:48 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Seems to me that the electric events are exploding while the larger events are dwindling. Might be one of the reasons that the AMA has shifted gears, but that's for another discussion.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:06 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

I too have dropped my membership for the IMAA this year...I don't see any reason why to keep it..The fun-flys I attend only require AMA membership, which I'm a member of...Just my two cents worth
Old 02-19-2008, 12:39 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

Seems to me that the electric events are exploding while the larger events are dwindling. Might be one of the reasons that the AMA has shifted gears, but that's for another discussion.

Do you ever think about what you are going to say, or do you hear it when we do? The larger events are not dwindling, in fact they are growing. Try on Top Gun for size sometime......Oops, you won't do that one will you?

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 02-19-2008, 02:30 PM
KidEpoxy

Considering how cheap 1.5kw or 2kw Outrunner Brushless have become, I dont see how Large and Electric are mutually exclusive anymore. Tower has a 1hp / 2hp Max 35x48mm outrunner for $40, or go geared 11x7e prop at continuous 11k with a $35 36x56 Inrunner (1kw/2kw Max).

Just what size P-38 or B25 would fit a pair of 2000watt (2.5hp+) outrunners? 80"? 100"? 120"?

Check the Aug07 MA cover for IMAA electric running just a pair of 750watt.... sounds like $80 for the similar pair from Tower, but with Burst of roughly twice the power.

Large and Electric are no longer mutually exclusive
Now If I can just get the 80" balsa twin frame down to 24oz for PPP IMAA
Old 02-19-2008, 04:23 PM
frankp

In a previous post, I stated that the total membership in District 12 was under 200. I have just received the actual membership count on District 12 and a number of other low member districts. As of 12/31/2007 District 12 had 157 members. Remember that this district includes all of Canada. District 1 had a year end membership of 241, District 11 had 268, and District 9 had 351. The rest of the world had 17 members!

Simple math tells us that almost 1/2 of the dues paid by the IMAA members in Canada goes to pay the expenses of having a Director for the 157 members. This is why I have asked that the board consider incorporating D12 into the Districts that boarder Canada. These districts also have memberships below 400.

I would like to make note of the fact that the District V Director recently submitted a motion to move the date of the next board meeting from June to April so that many of the major issues facing the IMAA could be promptly addressed. His motion failed.

Frank Ponteri
Old 02-19-2008, 04:32 PM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Do you ever think about what you are going to say, or do you hear it when we do? The larger events are not dwindling, in fact they are growing. Try on Top Gun for size sometime......Oops, you won't do that one will you?

Bill, AMA 4720

I agree w/you. I have attended giant scale meets in NJ, PA and De for almost 20 years now (maybe a little less), and I have seen the quantity of giant scale planes dwindle, but I have to report that this summer at all the giant scale meets I attended, I saw more and more people... Also, more and more models:-) The only downside is that pilots seem to be younger. This is a clear indication that I am aging:-)

Gerry
Old 02-19-2008, 04:41 PM
frankp

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Bill, AMA 4720

I agree w/you. I have attended giant scale meets in NJ, PA and De for almost 20 years now (maybe a little less), and I have seen the quantity of giant scale planes dwindle, but I have to report that this summer at all the giant scale meets I attended, I saw more and more people... Also, more and more models:-) The only downside is that pilots seem to be younger. This is a clear indication that I am aging:-)

Gerry
Gerry,

The question of the health of Giant Scale Model Aviation was never the issue I intended to address. I believe that Giant Scale is more popular now than it ever was. The issue that I am addressing is the decline of the IMAA and what, if anything, can be done to reverse that decline. In my first lifetime, I traveled the NY, PA. NJ, DE circut every weekend.

Frank P

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.