Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Should AMA discontinue the Senior Citizen discount

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Should AMA discontinue the Senior Citizen discount

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 09:16 PM
The Toolman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Should AMA discontinue the Senior Citizen discount

Jim, I was asking Kid Epoxy because he is always whining about one thing if not another.

I'm only 58 an not able to get the $10 discount yet. KE just seems to think that anybody older than him shouldn't be getting any special treatment. Thats the downfall of all these little pip squeaks we raised. Spoiled to death.......ME ME ME what can ya do for ME?

KE, whats your age?
Old 11-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Buy into it? Buy into it? H**L, I started it.[>:]

Bill, AMA 4720
One way or the other, I'm still surprised that someone of your apparent intelligence would go there. It's more than just silly.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:11 AM
KidEpoxy

Jim
When I was a foreman of a crew of electricians
we always tried to get Piecework in the contracts for the simple reason the guys would do 5-7 units an hour peicework but only 3-4 when paid by the hour. Your story of paying the same wage for full or half days work is pretty much on that mark.

Why are you guys arguing about this simple fact of life? Stay in the hobby long enough, and you will eventually get there as well. It is your reward for past service to AMA. What's so wrong about that?
Simple facts of life like Man Cannot Fly / You Cant Go To The Moon / Slavery Is OK / MA Is Optional / No Tailtouch
are just current situations.
We had slavery in the US, then we stopped it.
We had drinking, then we prohibited it, then we repealed the prohibition.
We had Optional MA, then we stopped it.
We had tailtouching, then we stopped it, then we started again.
Just this year California shown that when something is Unconstitutional, you just change the constitution.

Without folks whining about stuff that is wrong,
be it PPP or Unjustified Senior Discount or Owning Slaves,
the problems wont get fixed.

It is your reward for past service to AMA. What's so wrong about that?
Nothing wrong with that, a Tenure discount.
But again we see the justification fronted for a senior discount is the past service to ama....
but ama freshmen can get it if their first year of AMA is when they are 72yo.
I wouldnt mind a 10YearAMA / 20YearAMA Discount, but that is not what we have now.

I have not been griping in attempt to cease the Senior Discount,
for pages now I've been asking folks to justify why to have it,
and all we get its stereotyped attributes that not all seniors have, and that younger guys have as well.

The OP presented his reasoning as to why to stop it.
And I have been trying to get the Keep It folks to present a valid reason why they want to keep it
.... without stereotyping seniors nor splitting a group of guys doing the same job as some get it some dont (Jug's Sod)
Old 11-12-2008, 05:30 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Buy into it? Buy into it? H**L, I started it.[>:]

Bill, AMA 4720
One way or the other, I'm still surprised that someone of your apparent intelligence would go there. It's more than just silly.
"Methinks thou doest protesteth too much".

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 11-12-2008, 09:52 AM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: The Toolman

And I thought STL was a PITA...LOL

I think were gonna [sm=drowning.gif] in BM posts.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
I don't want to start a war of words here as I do not buy ink by the barrel. But, I would like an explanation from Bob Mitchell and reading back on some of the list it has been asked before.

According to club records BM came to the Lexington Model Airplane Club club as a newbie and started training on April 15, 2008. He soloed on June 3, 2008. His AMA number also indicates a new member which I think he has said in past post.

Now my question is: Why the sudden interest and participation in this particular EVP election? If you are as new as you say, I find it interesting that you could form such an opinion so quickly. You must be a real quick study as it would take most of us a couple of years just to get the lay of the land.

Now, I do not know BM other than I have seen him at the field about three times and have never observed him attending a club meeting. He may have been there but very low key if he was.

So I am confused as to your interest in a national election and no interest demonstrated in the local club elections which can affect your flying more than the national election.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: iflyj3
Now my question is: Why the sudden interest and participation in this particular EVP election? If you are as new as you say, I find it interesting that you could form such an opinion so quickly. You must be a real quick study as it would take most of us a couple of years just to get the lay of the land.
It's not to difficult to form an opinion when one of the candidates is such an active member here, and insists on posting belittling and insulting comments to most anyone who disagrees with him. Simple as that. It's also fairly easy to pick up on key AMA issues such as PPP given the amount of discussion here, and a wealth of information in past threads here and on the AMA website....for anyone who takes a bit of time to look.

If that doesn't satisfy your curiosity, please feel free to say something to me the next tme you see me at the field or at a club meeting. I plan on being there this Thursday unless the "boss" has other prioities for me.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:53 AM
iflyj3

If that doesn't satisfy your curiosity, please feel free to say something to me the next tme you see me at the field or at a club meeting. I plan on being there this Thursday unless the "boss" has other prioities for me.
Will do.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:32 PM
KidEpoxy

Toolman
KE, whats your age?
I keep forgetting if I'm 22 or 47 or somewhere between, since it really dont matter a hill of beens to this discussion. Are we to think that the Senior Discount can only be justified and rationalized to have depending on the age of some member in Texas? Like I said, the OP presented his reasoning for stopping the SeniorDiscount, and I havent seen a decent job of folks telling me why we should keep it. 'We should have it because we do have it' is a horribly weak arguement, and all attempts to justify it rely on sterotyping and discrimination against nonseniors that do fit in that stereotype (Jug's Sod).

And now it appears some are giving up on presenting their case to keep it with facts and supporting logic,
and for a change of pace in the AMA forum we have personal attacks:
~AMA should keep the Senior Discount because... because... because... because KE is a bad man.~

Go ahead and make your comments as if I was 22
and then again as if I was 64, so we can see how you treat folks of different ages.

Oh, hows about that Senior PPP for $19?
If a guy did all the work at the club, won WW2, created America, has medical bills, on fixed income,
and spent 40 years in AMA,
Muncie thinks he shouldnt get the $10 Oldage discount
on his 2/60 electrics that he flys now that his eyes have gone bad.

Even though all the support for keeping the discount has used flawed logic,
go ahead and apply those theroies to PPP and see if Muncie agrees that OldFolks deserve a Seniors R Swell $10 break for all the great things theyve done for the past 50 years. No, Muncie kicks the old folks to the curb when it comes to 2/60 e-flying. Guess Muncie didnt really believe all the stuff about the swellness of seniors and they need/deserve $10 off.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:38 PM
The Toolman

Thats alright KE, I now know everything about you. Easier to find out than stl's. Given that, at your age 41 Ken, I would think you would have better things to do than set on the computer all day
Old 11-12-2008, 12:46 PM
KidEpoxy

Toolman,
you do realize that there are a bazillion folks that are 41 and sit at a computer all day
at work.
I'm no longer one of them.

And given that last post of yours,
It really did a bangup job of explaining why we should keep the Senior discount.
I'm sure a lot of fence sitters on the subject now are in favor of keeping the discount,
based on the case closing point that KE is 41 and not working therefore seniors need discounts.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:04 PM
The Toolman

Get off yer butt an get a job. Us working people don't wanna support you forever. If you actually make it to 55 you'll be able to get a seniors discount almost everywhere you go. And I'm willin' to bet you use it every chance you get.

Matter of fact, why don't you find some worth while cause to go after, like save the moon, instead of ama seniors
Old 11-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

Well, that last exchange was refreshing........[:@]

How dare Bob take an active interest in his hobby and the national organization that supports it.

BM: Just look for the guy with the "IFLYJ3" plates in the parking lot.

IFLYJ3: Just look for the guy with the Indiana plates in the parking lot. [sm=72_72.gif]

How about this for a reason the AMA gives seniors a discount? It's a nice thing to do. Civilizations have honored their elders since the Earth cooled. Let's argue about something worthwhile like holding the door for ladies.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:01 PM
iflyj3

ORIGINAL: Robotech

How dare Bob take an active interest in his hobby and the national organization that supports it.

IFLYJ3: Just look for the guy with the Indiana plates in the parking lot. [sm=72_72.gif]
I wasn't questioning his interest in the AMA functions. It is good that new blood are interested but I was questioning his reasons for jumping in with both feet especially since he is so new at this game. Very few people new to the hobby take such an interest until they have been around a while and understand the interworkings of the organizations and 6 months is usually not enough time.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Bob Mitchell

It's a vanity plate. "AMAPLNT".

Now.....watch 3 or 4 regulars here take me seriously.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Bob Mitchell

I wasn't questioning his interest in the AMA functions. It is good that new blood are interested but I was questioning his reasons for jumping in with both feet especially since he is so new at this game. Very few people new to the hobby take such an interest until they have been around a while and understand the interworkings of the organizations and 6 months is usually not enough time.
I didn't take your questions as negative. I'll be glad to talk to you Thursday night if you're at the meeting, and answer any questions you might have. See you then.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:10 PM
iflyj3

It's a vanity plate. "AMAPLNT".

Now.....watch 3 or 4 regulars here take me seriously.
It can't be a KY plate then as we are limited to 6 characters.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Bob Mitchell

It can't be a KY plate then as we are limited to 6 characters.
Yeah, I know. I used to drive an '04 Mustang Cobra. Plate was BLWNV8.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Stickbuilder

Well, that last exchange was refreshing........[:@]

How about this for a reason the AMA gives seniors a discount? It's a nice thing to do. Civilizations have honored their elders since the Earth cooled. Let's argue about something worthwhile like holding the door for ladies.
Trying to get your check too Robo?

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 11-12-2008, 06:52 PM
abel_pranger

KE-

Not necessarily in reply to you - I just had to back up about 8 posts before getting to yours that happens to be the first I found on topic.

Not too many years before I can take the Sr Citizen discount. OTOH, at the rate things are trending, the vast majority of members will be eligible for it, so what's the diff? Just say everybody over age 19 is a Sr, and all Open members pay the same dues.

Discounts seem be rationalized for two general categories of reasons: to promote AMA membership amongst groups with unusual fiscal needs, or as a token of appreciation given to some that have 'earned' special recognition.

I would gladly give up the discount I will soon be eligible for (based on serving time) and transfer it to these examples from each group:

a) Based on need, to full-time students. AMA has the $1 per head membership for those under age 19, then it goes to the full Open fare right at the time many of them will be as strapped for money as anytime in their lives, and also find their discretionary time for things like model flying severely limited. My kids were in this situation - not as short on the $ as time. AMA membership didn't seem like a good value when the opportunity to fly a model airplane came up only a couple of times per year, usually coincidental to vists home.

b) Based on appreciation, to active military. This has been discussed here before, and surprisingly opposed mostly by ex-military. That notwithstanding, Castle Creations, Airtronics, Hitec, FlightPower and Traxxas et al are supporting the Bagram RC Club and some very deserving folks in my mind, and that's good enough for me. Why not AMA?

My druthers.........AMA, apply any discount I qualify for to these folks - give me that option on the renewal form.

Status quo reality........AMA charges them an extra $28, supposedly to send the non-optional magazine to an APO address.

Abel
Old 11-12-2008, 09:47 PM
safeTwire
My Feedback: (2)

As an ADULT...one takes care of himself and the young and the old!

Old 11-12-2008, 10:50 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Well said, STW. If your shoulders are broad enough it is a non issue.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:48 PM
safeTwire

Thank you CP
Old 11-13-2008, 09:31 AM
bassfish

Hi Jim, I was just wondering, have you "Traveled"? I'v been from West to East and from East to West" ! >>>-> Bassfish
Old 11-13-2008, 09:57 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: bassfish

Hi Jim, I was just wondering, have you "Traveled"? I'v been from West to East and from East to West" ! >>>-> Bassfish
I've done that about 3 times now.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 11-13-2008, 11:15 AM
Jim Messer

Hello bassfish:

Yes - I have traveled all over this country, in all directions. Are your initials by any chance DC?

I may know you.

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.