Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Should AMA discontinue the Senior Citizen discount

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Should AMA discontinue the Senior Citizen discount

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 10:32 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Should AMA discontinue the Senior Citizen discount

Well said! It's more about attitude, gratitude and respect than anything else. My parents were of the greatest generation of Americans [the ones who were raised during the depression and who won WWII] and it would never occur to me to take away their senior discounts. The idea is pathetic.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:09 PM
The Toolman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in agreement with Chuckles. I think the only ones that are against it, are the ones who can't stand seeing somebody get something that they aren't getting.

By the way, since the election last day to vote is almost here I've noticed mitchell doesn't have much to say anymore. Whadda you think CP?
Old 11-10-2008, 11:27 PM
combatpigg

Toolman, I hear that the AMA is so pleased with his efforts that they gave him the rest of the year off with pay. Plus, he needs time to get packed for that PPP convention in Cancun. [8D]
Old 11-11-2008, 12:03 AM
KidEpoxy

Toolman
I think the only ones that are against it, are the ones who can't stand seeing somebody get something that they aren't getting
I have said plenty of times inthis thread
that I wouldnt be opposed to a Tenure Discount (which I would have to wait years to get)
to replace the Senior Discount (which I would also have to wait years to get)
If folks still are unaware of where people like me stand,
Perhaps I should be MORE VOCAL about it

Sure, there have been a lot of fine seniors doing fine things back in the day,
and of course there were todays seniors lynching folks and McCarthyizing back in those days too.
Not all of todays seniors were horrible people (MLK wasnt opposed by my generation), just as not all were pillars of the community. I am not in favor of a system that assumes Manson deserves a discount because he's contributed so much to the world. As for WWII, sure it was won, but the wars of our youths didnt require DRAFTS to force guys to fight for the country.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:47 AM
combatpigg

Yes, Charles Manson and Senator McCarthy are great examples of who I am talking about.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:02 AM
704hank
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: The Toolman

I'm in agreement with Chuckles. I think the only ones that are against it, are the ones who can't stand seeing somebody get something that they aren't getting.

By the way, since the election last day to vote is almost here I've noticed mitchell doesn't have much to say anymore. Whadda you think CP?
He is still around over at RCG. Hitting Hoss every time he makes a post![sm=tired.gif]
Hank
AMA#674791
Old 11-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: The ToolmanBy the way, since the election last day to vote is almost here I've noticed mitchell doesn't have much to say anymore.
I haven't gone anywhere, Ron. I'm sure that makes your day.

This thread is really the only one with any real activity over the past several days, other than the "poll" threads, and Chuck is pretty much expressing the same opinions that I would anyway.

BTW, I do find it comforting that you are following my postings so closely, and seem to be concerned if I'm not around.

Thanks.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:51 AM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Toolman, I hear that the AMA is so pleased with his efforts that they gave him the rest of the year off with pay. Plus, he needs time to get packed for that PPP convention in Cancun. [8D]
Actually it's in Cabo. Cancun is just so........so........Republican.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy
and of course there were todays seniors lynching folks and McCarthyizing back in those days too.
Not all of todays seniors were horrible people (MLK wasnt opposed by my generation), just as not all were pillars of the community. I am not in favor of a system that assumes Manson deserves a discount because he's contributed so much to the world. As for WWII, sure it was won, but the wars of our youths didnt require DRAFTS to force guys to fight for the country.
Nothing like painting with a broad brush KE. It's kinda like target practice with a sawed off shotgun. Yeah, you might accidently put one in the 10 ring now and then but so much of it just misses the target altogether. Doesn't take much skill either....you just point in the general direction and pull the trigger.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:17 AM
The Toolman

So much for my 1 post in a row theory.................
Old 11-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The BM: "Doesn't take much skill either....you just point in the general direction and pull the trigger.
Is that why you and huber, or someone of your faith, is so quick to "report" almost every post I make in RCG? It seems that all reported posts there in RCG are computer operated and automatically get hidden until edited. Of course someone in the RCG outhouse then removes the ability for the original poster to edit many of them so they just continue to show "....awaiting edit...."
RCG big guy, Graham, being a Kurek playmate, certainly provides no help in clearing up the problem.

Therefore so many posts there get hidden. So whoever is the "reporter" needs no skill. Do you have any idea of who fits the bill?
Old 11-11-2008, 10:06 AM
The Toolman

Don't feel bad Hoss, they have did it to several of mine over time, and it is always in the ama section. I suspect huber is behind a lot of it also.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:35 AM
KidEpoxy

Bob
Nothing like painting with a broad brush KE. It's kinda like target practice with a sawed off shotgun. Yeah, you might accidently put one in the 10 ring now and then but so much of it just misses the target altogether. Doesn't take much skill either....you just point in the general direction and pull the trigger.
Exactly.
Very broad brush indeed.
You seem to have noticed how I was demonstratin
the Seniors R Swell crowd is painting with a broad brush.
Thanx for agreeing with me.

You may want to read back and notice I say that not all are swell nor are all bad,
and compare that to the SeniorsRSwell posts from others that lack it with their broad brush.

Again Bob
Thanx for aggreeing with me on the Broad Brush being used by folks here.... all it took was a very exposing post by me to point it out to everyone.

Oh, Bob fyi: I'm congregate in the practical shooters B&C ring, my targets dont use 10ring scoring. Try indoor El Presidente, its a lot more fun than running for Patton matches

. . .

Well Folks
Bob says there is broadbrushedness going on. Ya'll should harken Bobs observation and cut back on the stereotyping.

So that brings us back to page 1,
what is the justification of a Senior discount
rather than discounts for anyone that exhibits the traits you want to reward
(veteran/tenure/hardwork/poverty/small-electric)
Old 11-11-2008, 11:03 AM
The Toolman

I really thought this thread had run its course, but I see some guy named itouglas or something like that had to bring it back up. And of course you are still harping about somebody gettin something you aren't.

All I ever see you do is whine about stuff like this. Did you ever think about getting a job, or are you another one of these guys that think everybody owes you something just for being alive? I'm sure glad my entire life is not dependent on a magazine, senior discount an sittin on my azz on the computer just waiting to strike back on something you aren't getting.

Give it a break for awhile............
Old 11-11-2008, 11:20 AM
KidEpoxy

And of course you are still harping about somebody gettin something you aren't
Still way off base,
so lets go over it one more time.

I will get the senior discount, Stopping the senior discount is stopping a discount for me.
I promoted the Tenure Discount, a discount I wouldnt get right now either.
I agreed with Jims CD Discount, something I would have to work for to get.
Your logic that greed / sour grapes drives my posts is flawed:
I want to give others discount and stop a discount I would get.

Now, since you appear interested in the 'greed' motivation,
why dont you look at the ages of the guys that are for the Senior discount.
Why not apply your personal attacks against them for their Dont Take My Discount 'greed'?
Have you just not noticed that?
Well, now that you've had that 'greed' pointed out, attack them for it instead of me for not having a problem with Tenure or CD discounts I wont get at the moment if ever.

I didnt want to go there, I wanted to keep this arguing the subject rather than the posters,
but someone just cant stop falsely accusing me of what others are demonstrating that I do not.
You wanna attack folks on greed, plenty of valid targets, but I aint one of them.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

The BM: "Doesn't take much skill either....you just point in the general direction and pull the trigger.
Is that why you and huber, or someone of your faith, is so quick to "report" almost every post I make in RCG? It seems that all reported posts there in RCG are computer operated and automatically get hidden until edited. Of course someone in the RCG outhouse then removes the ability for the original poster to edit many of them so they just continue to show "....awaiting edit...."
RCG big guy, Graham, being a Kurek playmate, certainly provides no help in clearing up the problem.

Therefore so many posts there get hidden. So whoever is the "reporter" needs no skill. Do you have any idea of who fits the bill?
Horrace, you'll have to ask whoever is doing such. I've never "reported" a post in that other forum. I figure that whoever is the target of any personal attacks is an adult and can stand on their own two feet. I also think that personal attacks tend to reflect more on the poster than the target, so there is no real reason to report them to begin with. Most of the time such posters tend to discredit themselves and their opinions by making such personal attacks anyway, so it's just better off to let the posting stand so the author ends up being his own worst enemy. It's usually a fairly effective tactic, particularly when someone is trying to gain support from individuals who don't really know him and may stumble across some of his campaign related messages.

And why are you bringing a squabble you may have with RCG management into THIS forum?

Now, what....if anything......does this have to do with my response to KE concerning his "shotgun" approach and characterization of senior citizens?
Old 11-11-2008, 11:47 AM
The Toolman

And I thought STL was a PITA...LOL

I think were gonna [sm=drowning.gif] in BM posts.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 11-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The BM: Now, what....if anything......does this have to do with my response to KE concerning his "shotgun" approach and characterization of senior citizens?
Somewhere (I know where) it is written, "Let him that is without sin cast the first stone.) I favor that saying although I have been known to cast a few first stones - My Bad!

You like to cast first stones plus twist things to find excuses to do so. I then favor your targets. Quit whining and complaining like a pre teen on a computer.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy
Well, then, there, now, Bob,

I was kind of thinking that you subscribed to the ready, fire, aim school yourself.

Bill, AMA 4720

ps......when do you get your check?
Old 11-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: Hossfly
Quit whining and complaining like a pre teen on a computer.
And again, what does this have to do with my comments to KE concerning broad brush characterization of senior citizens?

What is it about you that causes you to resort to such juvenile and childish comments on such a regular basis? Can you just not control yourself or do you choose not to?

Old 11-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder
I was kind of thinking that you subscribed to the ready, fire, aim school yourself.

Bill, AMA 4720

Bill, I don't think that you've seen me post such broad brush characterizations of a large demograpic group. When one does so one is invariably wrong. I pick and choose my targets and can usually shoot a pretty tight group.

Paycheck? Oh....more silly AMA conspiracy stuff. I have a hard time accepting that someone of your intalligence would actually buy into such nonsense.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:23 PM
KidEpoxy

How is it that after pages of listening to folks say
Seniors are on fixed income
Seniors have medical bills
Seniors do most of the work
Seniors spent ime in AMA

...and whatnot Seniors R Swell stereotyping,
I make a post reminding folks that not all seniors have been swell, and I have to listen to folks claim
KE invented broadbrush stereotyping shotgun grouping.

Go back & read the thread. Plenty of stereotyping from the getgo,
and it was usually followed by me asking them to stop stereotyping seniors and reward all folks exhibiting the attribute they stereotype cast onto seniors.... such as the 'Seniors do all the work' and my response with young Jugfliers Adventures in Sod.

Page after page we've had
"Seniors are XXX, so they deserve a discount",
followed by me saying, NonSeniors are XXX too so lets give both of them the XXX Discount.
Every justification for the senior discount has been based on stereotyping and excluding others with that same attribute.

BOB
broad brush? Where? What made you say that back in post 205?
QUOTE what you see as broadbrushing in the thread.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Bill, AMA 4720

Bill, I don't think that you've seen me post such broad brush characterizations of a large demograpic group. When one does so one is invariably wrong. I pick and choose my targets and can usually shoot a pretty tight group.

Paycheck? Oh....more silly AMA conspiracy stuff. I have a hard time accepting that someone of your intalligence would actually buy into such nonsense.
Buy into it? Buy into it? H**L, I started it.[>:]

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 11-11-2008, 07:26 PM
The Toolman

Just exactly what is your age?
Old 11-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My age? I'm 78. Been a member of AMA since 1941 - 67 continuous years. I gladly paid my dues all those years, but when I became eligible for the senior citizen discount, I took it, figuring that I had earned it. Now I'm a life member, so that's even better.

Why are you guys arguing about this simple fact of life? Stay in the hobby long enough, and you will eventually get there as well. It is your reward for past service to AMA. What's so wrong about that?

It reminds me of the old parable in the Bible where the vineyard owner had pickers go into his field - some worked all day; some worked half a day; and some worked only a couple of hours. At the end of the day, each was paid the same wage. The workers that had worked all day griped, and so did those that worked half a day, but the landowner countered that they got paid exactly the wage they had agreed to.

The AMA is like the landowner. Whether it took 54 years, (as in my case), or whether it took you ten years, or if you turned 65 only one year after joining AMA, the senior discount is the same. I'm not griping. I got exactly what I had agreed to when I joined the AMA. It just took me longer than most to reap that reward.

It's not worth arguing about. Hang in there, and someday - you too will qualify, you better hope!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.