Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA National Ex. V.P. Election, 2008.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA National Ex. V.P. Election, 2008.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 01:41 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AMA National Ex. V.P. Election, 2008.

Now that I have formal notification that I am a nominated Ballot Candidate, I will provide a peek for you to the MA page plus my life experience.

>>>>>>
EVP Campaign Statement, Horrace D. Cain, 2008

Hello, AMA Members. Are you well satisfied with this aeromodeling sport-hobby in your chosen disciplines? Hopefully you are as satisfied as I have been for over 60 years.

With so long in this activity, I wish to see it survive in this fast paced and active world in which we live. Modelers need flying sites, where they should be able to feel secure, and to know that once they labor and procure those sites, they can expect to enjoy the fruit of that labor for a long time.

Elect Horrace D. Cain, AMA L-93, New Caney, TX, to the office of Executive Vice President, Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA). Then you and I can direct AMA to ensure flying facilities exist and your welcome there will remain for many years.

Together we can ensure governments at all levels are aware of our excellent sport. Using available no-cost media we can bring the aeromodeling message to all from the White House down to city and township councils. All the major networks plus local news media will receive aeromodeling news on a regular basis. Informing the national offices and media about the international goodwill AMA promotes through the FAI programs has to be of their interest. When a Club or group speaks to officials about flying sites, noise problems, etc. the modelers will then be received by persons aware of modeling’s worth in recreation and education for both young and old.

As you may be aware, certain organizations have a regular C-Corporation for the organization, yet provide one or more Foundations to provide membership benefits under the Internal Revenue Code (IRC) Section 501 (c) (3). AMA could use such framework. Then AMA, unrestricted, could present to legislatures those items benefiting AMA members.
There are those that, for political gain, would severely restrict our sport. Here is an opportunity to secure our investments and labors in our sport. Together, we can do that.

AMA has established a commercial publishing business known as an “Unrelated Business†under the IRC. As such it can suffer certain federal income tax liabilities. So far the AMA provides adequate financial losses to preclude any significant tax.
Do you stop earning money because you have to pay tax? While significant profitability may require taxes, AMA could significantly reduce the loss of your dues monies which now finance this commercial operation. You and I can do that.

Our sport and hobby has many different disciplines and factions. Isn’t it wonderful that so many can enjoy such different activities, yet be bonded by a common name, aeromodeling? However this means the AMA really needs to branch out and attract persons from all the various modeling themes be they sport or hobby. We need to recognize our fellow modeler, no matter his/her interest or station within the activity.

The technologies and the membership needs are, as the world itself, changing almost exponentially. As an association, we must lead these advances. Only a progressive Executive Council (EC) can lead our employee staff in this direction.

AMA programs need constant revision, modifications or even deletion, while new programs are developed to meet the needs of a changing aeromodeler’s society. Providing the necessary outreach to the newer generations involved in the new technologies, yet still providing for the established needs of the more conservative approaches, will allow AMA to attract and maintain the membership needed to accomplish AMA goals.

These objectives will provide all aeromodeling disciplines with a progressive AMA EC, one equipped to represent its membership and their interests to the world. As your EVP, I will pursue these objectives, and inform you as they progress.
<<<<<<

So there you have my main focus. If I have a strong point, it is that I am not afraid to communicate to the membership what I do, why I do such and the results as they develop. In addition, I try to have more than one plan in hand and will change and/or restructure plans when needed to advance the objective. You will make the final decision with your vote.

Life Experiences
Horrace D. Cain,
RESUME Page 1 of 2
AMA L-93
31619 Bohlssen Rd.
New Caney, TX 77357
281-399-5627
[email protected]

Objectives
As Executive Vice President of the Academy, my objectives are :

1.) Assist the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) to be well known throughout all levels of governments, national and local along with all news media, by expressing the sport of model aviation in the recreational and competition senses, and the international goodwill of the AMA’s FAI programs.
2.) Promote the restructure of the current AMA into a main corporate body with one or more foundations to provide the membership functions, enhancing needed opportunities for both non-profit and lobby functions.
3.) Enhance the AMA’s Internal Revenue Code 501 (c) (3) named “Unrelated Business†function/s to become a better financially rewarding entity for the AMA.
4.) . Assist in the development of new programs, and modification of old programs, commensurate with the differences and interest levels of current and future aeromodelers, to better fit the needs of the many different individuals with the objective of enticing them to join and remain as members of AMA.

Education
Two years college Liberal Arts GED
USAF : Aviation Cadets, Navigator with Electronics: 1955-56.
USAF: Academic and Flight Instructor Navigation School, 1956.
USAF: Advanced Navigation, Long Range Strategic Reconnaissance and Bombardment: 1958
USAF: B-47 Combat Aircrew Training: 1958-59
USAF: Pilot Training 1962-63.
USAF: Instructor Pilot Training: 1963
USAF: Squadron Officer School: Leadership, Management, etc.1963
USAF: Academic Flight Instructor 1965.
Laredo, TX Jr. College: 4 Semesters Night School; English: 1964-67
United Airlines: UAL New Hire Pilot Training: early 1968
Successful Investing and Money Management , Hume Course, 1989-90

Management Experience
LIFE: From a small High School to USAF Officer with wings at age 20, to being able to send three children through major universities, Northwestern, Purdue, and University of Chicago then onto a fairly decent retired life from age 60 should represent fair management of LIFE and associated resources.
Founded and owned successful Hobby Business in north west suburb of Chicago, 1971-77. Sold at profit.
Time and resource management with UAL pilot, USAF Reserve pilot, and HS owner at same time.
Used a number of Sub-Chapter S corporations to allow for better financial positioning, including children’s college funding.
Managed flight crews, maintenance crews and other related personnel and resources through 41 years of professional aviation, including instructing in both flight and academic envirionments, plus combat weapons delivery.

Financial Background
Pioneered use of IRA funds in real estate investments for lucrative returns.
Pioneered the use of multiple IRA accounts to use the sixty (60) day Roll-Over rules for quick funds to secure investments. Taught others how.
Originated the financial procedure, Nov. 1981, that obtained the final release of the 50 FCC frequencies now used by RC modelers.
Charitable activity includes a $40,000.00 appraised value Real Estate donation to the AMA in December 1984.

Insurance
None other than as a user.

Legal background
Self taught in Real Estate and Federal Income Taxes to a fair degree.
Experienced six IRS audits without criminal accusation.
Have represented self in civil courts and won, against attorney, March 2007, Small Claims, Sep. 2007.

Technical Background
Highly Trained and frequently used in subjects of Applied Aerodynamics, Electrical systems, Fueling systems, Hydraulic systems, Pneumatic systems.
Previously well trained in the use and application of thermonuclear physics and weapon systems and the delivery factors thereof.
Also experienced in the operation of reciprocating conventional engines plus a number of turbine engines including afterburners.

Aeromodeling Experience
Extensive for 60 years. Experienced in most disciplines of the Control Line, Free Flight, and Radio Control models. Contest Director since 1963. Leader member since 1964.
Have won over 150 trophies in competition, CL, FF, and RC.
Served 3 years as a RC Contest Coordinator and 3 years as a District Vice President.
Manpower Director at the 1972 Glenview and 1973 Oshkosh Nationals.
Purchased 100 acres, 1996, to provide Club with 30 acres to build superior Flying Facility.
Recently, 2007, provided additional 20 acres to club, all at significant personal expense.
Have directed one or more events per year for past eleven years.

Horrace D. Cain
31619 Bohlssen Rd.
New Caney, TX 77357

Other Aviation items: Charter Founder and sustaining member: American Air Museum, Britain
Recognized: National Aviation and Space Exploration Wall of Honor, Museum, S.F. Udvar-Hazy Center.

Thanks for your support and I sincerely hope you and I can give the sport of model aviation a big boost through a well directed AMA.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:10 AM
Muroc1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA National Ex. V.P. Election, 2008.

Nice job Hoss. Looks like you spent quite some time putting that together for us. Looks good.

I'm wondering if Mark will do the same?

Frank
Old 08-18-2008, 07:50 AM
The Toolman

Looks great Hoss, can't think of anything ya missed

Ronnie
Old 08-18-2008, 05:01 PM
Muroc1

He did miss how he feels about the Park Pilot Program and how he thinks it can help grow the AMA as more and more folks get into this hobby due to electric parkflyers.

Frank
Old 08-18-2008, 05:53 PM
KidEpoxy

Frank
fortunately we can ask Hoss directly... like this:

Hoss,
How do you feel about the current Park Pilot Program, and do you think as is it will help grow the AMA as more and more folks get into this hobby due to electric parkflyers. If elected, what are you going to do in regards to the PPP?
Old 08-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Muroc1

Thanks Kid.

Frank
Old 08-18-2008, 08:31 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HOSS FLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2008, 12:30 AM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Frank
fortunately we can ask Hoss directly... like this:

Hoss,
How do you feel about the current Park Pilot Program, and do you think as is it will help grow the AMA as more and more folks get into this hobby due to electric parkflyers. If elected, what are you going to do in regards to the PPP?
CURRENTLY, I am reserving my judgment reference the program and its effects on AMA membership growth. I do not favor the manner in which the Executive Council allowed the program to be forced on the membership. If I do become an EC member I will work to convince the EC members that THEY are the policy bosses and THEY are there to originate AMA programs which the staff is to administrate when so directed.
As a long time modeler, both competitive and competition, plus owning a hobby shop in Mt. Prospect, IL during the '70s, I have a gut feeling that AMA modelers number less than 3% of the USA modelers. While I believe electric power is the future, I do not now believe the defined park-flyer, not yet a dedicated modeler, is much more than a phase for most individuals. I well remember when almost everyone built some stick-tissue model airplanes, and flew some Cox plastic or tried to fly such but 99.9% never became dedicated modelers and certainly never even thought about "AMA".
In addition I visited DuBro Products up in Wauconda, IL every so often. They shipped more pairs of wheels each month than AMA had annual members. AMA members did not use all those wheels. AMA has a long way to go to bring more than 10% of the active modelers into their fold.

Now read my campaign statement again. Notice things like, "We need to recognize our fellow modeler, no matter his/her interest or station within the activity." "Only a progressive Executive Council (EC) can lead our employee staff in this direction." "Providing the necessary outreach to the newer generations involved in the new technologies, yet still providing for the established needs of the more conservative approaches, will allow AMA to attract and maintain the membership needed ..."

Those statements should provide significant information to your questions.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:26 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Executive Vice President Campaign statement
Mark T. Smith
Shawnee, Kansas

My name is Mark Smith and I’m running for the office of AMA Executive Vice President. I am currently the AMA District 9 VP, holding this position for the last three years. I have been active in model aviation most of my life and held numerous leadership positions in clubs through the U.S. I am asking for your support because I believe I have the broad background needed to meet and exceed our President’s expectations as his Vice President. The past three years have been extremely busy and rewarding as depicted by the following milestones:

District IX VP 2005-Present
• Established a District IX web site
• Held a Lawrence, KS District fly-in
• Traveled to all six states to meet with modelers to encourage continued open communications.
• More than doubled the number of Leader Clubs in District
• Brought Omahawks, with approximately 200 members, into the AMA as a Chartered Club
• Developed a strong AVP team which handles day-to- day AMA issues within the District

MARKETING 2005-Present
Created, developed and implemented various Marketing programs to stimulate membership growth. Worked to educate staff and Executive Council (EC) on Marketing strategies. Explained the importance of product life cycles, target markets and market segmentation, the importance of customer service and product pricing.

MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS 2006
Worked with EC members to ascertain the value of purchasing an on-line entity and presented facts to Board.

CREATING VALUE PROPOSITION AT MUNCIE FACILITY 2005-Present
Brought in Frank Tiano Enterprise to develop plan for Air Show America which was estimated to render a positive financial and public relations return. Continue to provide strategic support to XFC event.

PUBLIC RELATIONS 2008-Present
Researched and contracted PR firm J Walcher Communications who have been extremely active in bringing media attention to AMA which includes:
• Press releases
• Articles in various on-line magazines including Forbes.com
• Article in Newsweek magazine
• In progress
o ESPN coverage
o Fox News-Chicago interview
o Delta airlines article
o Park flyers for sale in Holiday Gift Guides

AMA CONVENTION 2008
Headed committee to review applicants to manage 2009 convention. Socialized ideas with key EC members and came to consensus to present to Board which was approved.

POSITIONING AMA 2005-Present
Developed and nurtured relationships with key industry stakeholders as Hobbico, Horizon, Global and Hobby Lobby.

Clearly, these accomplishments are due in large part to my extraordinary team of District 9 Associate Vice Presidents and the collective wisdom of the EC.

For the past three years, I have developed a close and highly respected working relationship with our AMA President, Dave Mathewson. We communicate on almost a daily basis to address AMA issues. If elected as your Executive Vice President, I would like to focus on the following over the next three years:
• Stimulate the growth of AMA by implementing various creative marketing programs
• Grow the number of Leader Clubs
• Grow and aid in securing flying sites for our clubs through creative financing of club-owned sites
• Support the introduction and education of model aviation to our youth
• Provide leadership for the EC on financial matters
• Push for EC term limits so that new, fresh and creative ideas can be implemented which results in ensuring the longevity of a healthy AMA

I would like to continue this modeling journey and with your support, I believe we can accomplish even more in the next three years. Thank you!

Mark T. Smith
Old 08-19-2008, 10:13 AM
Hossfly

Hey, Red! Does Mark use his AMA DVP expense allowance to pay you for being his campaign manager? Is Mark afraid to come here and do it himself and be ready to field one-on-one answers to questions, or will you also answer his questions for him?

While I started the thread, I did leave the door open for other candidates to enter here, even anyone doing write-in. Therefore there is no complaint with your post.

In fact, I am impressed with Mark's work. I certainly hope he remains as energetic if he becomes the EVP. I am looking forward to seeing the results of all that he is working with, especially the, "MARKETING 2005-Present." "Created, developed and implemented various Marketing programs to stimulate membership growth." Hope they do work! [sm=71_71.gif]
Old 08-19-2008, 11:35 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Hey, Red! Does Mark use his AMA DVP expense allowance to pay you for being his campaign manager? Is Mark afraid to come here and do it himself and be ready to field one-on-one answers to questions, or will you also answer his questions for him?

While I started the thread, I did leave the door open for other candidates to enter here, even anyone doing write-in. Therefore there is no complaint with your post.

In fact, I am impressed with Mark's work. I certainly hope he remains as energetic if he becomes the EVP. I am looking forward to seeing the results of all that he is working with, especially the, "MARKETING 2005-Present." "Created, developed and implemented various Marketing programs to stimulate membership growth." Hope they do work! [sm=71_71.gif]
OMG are you kidding me. Hoss you've just summed up in 2 sentences why the AMA does not post here and why hopefully, god willing, Mark will win.

Red is a long time contributor to the AMA ... is this the way you're going to treat all your constituents if you become EVP?
Old 08-19-2008, 01:26 PM
BillHarris

To help truly evaluate Horrace Cain, one should take a look at all posts by him, here and on RCGroups. I think you'll see a Cheshire Cat grin and...

Bill
Old 08-19-2008, 01:28 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<<snip>>
In addition I visited DuBro Products up in Wauconda, IL every so often. They shipped more pairs of wheels each month than AMA had annual members. AMA members did not use all those wheels. AMA has a long way to go to bring more than 10% of the active modelers into their fold.

<<snip>>

Gonna have to raise the bull**** flag here. AMA Membership is what, very roughly 150,000. I find it exceedingly hard to believe that Dubro ships over 150,000 pairs of wheels every month. 1.8 million pairs of wheels a year..........

Old 08-19-2008, 01:44 PM
Silent-AV8R

Well, Horrace feels that AMA represents only 3% of the modeling public. Based on that he feels there are about 5 million model airplane pilots in the US.

1,800,000 / 5,000,000 = 0.36 sets of wheels per modeler per year. Easy.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:18 PM
STLPilot

Well, Horrace feels that AMA represents only 3% of the modeling public. Based on that he feels there are about 5 million model airplane pilots in the US.
I bet he's right ... I'm sure Airhogs has shipped more than 5 million pieces in the USA. They ran more commercials in an hour last year than Tower did in 20 years.

$19.99 for one of those little helicopters and BAM .... you're now a hobbyist. Go Airhogs!
Old 08-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Kemosobie

I don't know nor do I care how manys wheels they sell but
one point to consider is Du Bro sells worldwide.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:48 AM
Muroc1

CURRENTLY, I am reserving my judgment reference the program and its effects on AMA membership growth. I do not favor the manner in which the Executive Council allowed the program to be forced on the membership. If I do become an EC member I will work to convince the EC members that THEY are the policy bosses and THEY are there to originate AMA programs which the staff is to administrate when so directed.
Hoss,

Thanks for the response. Regardless on how and why the PPP happened, it has happened. Don't you think it is a good thing that helps open up the AMA to those that normally wouldn't consider the AMA for membership?

Frank
Old 08-21-2008, 05:38 AM
STLPilot

NVM
Old 08-21-2008, 09:05 AM
STLPilot

NVM
Old 08-21-2008, 09:26 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

If I do become an EC member I will work to convince the EC members that THEY are the policy bosses and THEY are there to originate AMA programs which the staff is to administrate when so directed.
Interesting ... how'd I miss this one.

1. Do you support having Muncie staff using their time to come up with ideas which may be useful to the membership?

2. Do you realize that AMA staff are hired based on a resume and job requirements and not popularity, unlike the EC staff?

3. Do you support the process of the EC voting for and approving new policies and agenda items no matter who thought of them in the first place, including yourself if so elected?

Thank you for you answers.
Boy do I ever see the jaws of that steel trap open and waiting for someone to step into.

There needs to be a sign posted at that trap that reads: DANGER!

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-21-2008, 11:06 AM
KidEpoxy

Stick
aww come on, leave him alone.
Clearly he is paving the way to justify & promote average members like Kid Epoxy to have the ear of the EC.

Look at his first question.
"1. Do you support having Muncie staff using their time
to come up with ideas which may be useful to the membership?
"
That is just what I do, what any member does, what posters here can do.
Come up with ideas which which be useful to the membership, on my time. If that is the kind of thing STL is into, I am more than willing to oblige & continue to come up with ideas which may be useful to the membership. What this has to do with the EC & EVP is a mystery, unless we are talking about Muncie plumbers/secretaries/gardeners having more input than Members.

But we are probably just readingthe question wrong.
Obviously STL is not concerned about whether staffers come up with ideas,
but is intertersted in forcing the staffers to spend hours off the clock to come up with ideas
Do you support having Muncie staff using their time
That is just unfair, to have them spend their time doing it. Its their time, let them do what they want on their time. Whether its watching tv, writing letters to their congressman, or writing letters to the DVP's as any member would do.

And this one is clearly a Pro-KidEpoxy setup
3. Do you support the process of the EC voting for and approving new policies and agenda items no matter who thought of them in the first place, including yourself if so elected?
This would be great. It will finally silence all the guys here that dont like me making suggestions.

So Stick
Dont harsh STL's setup questioning, let STL empower folks like Kid Epoxy with this line of questions
Old 08-22-2008, 03:24 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Just wanted to let everyone know that the AMA ballots and membership renewals will mail out from AMA HQ the week of September 14th. I would appreciate everyone notifying any clubs and AMA members to make them aware that a ballot is included in the mailing. We had a very low return rate on ballots last time, so we are tying to make everyone aware.

First, there will be a postage paid ballot this year. All you have to do is put it in the mail. DO NOT MAIL IT TO AMA! It goes to an accounting firm so that no tampering with votes can occur.

Also, with the new changes in the by-laws that were recently approved by the AMA Leader Members, we will be voting on a new Executive Vice President that will be handling the task of assisting the President, much in the same way a Vice-President would operate.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:53 PM
KidEpoxy

First, there will be a postage paid ballot this year.

Whatever brilliant, genius, intuitve, goodlooking, forward thinking, AMA moneysaving RCU poster could have suggested that... last year... and get slammed for hating AMA for even considering it

[8D]
Old 08-22-2008, 04:06 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

AMA Ballots were postpaid in the past, but since it didn't seem to make any significant difference in the number voting it was dropped. Apparantly they want to give it another chance. I will be very surprised if it makes much of a difference this time. I hope I am wrong.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:32 PM
The Toolman

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

First, there will be a postage paid ballot this year.

Whatever brilliant, genius, intuitve, goodlooking, forward thinking, AMA moneysaving RCU poster could have suggested that... last year... and get slammed for hating AMA for even considering it

[8D]

If you mean this was you that suggested it, I would say you are talking out of both sides of your face. Lets spend $ to pay for all the postage, but drop the senior discount.

It still boils down to the fact that you can't stand that somebody is getting something that you're not......

Ronnie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.