Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

New weight limits

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

New weight limits

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 03:21 PM
mustang512

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New weight limits

We have heard that AMA is looking to change the max weight limits from 55 lbs. up to 100 lbs. with out a waiver. Has anyone else heard of this ? Thanks
Old 07-12-2009, 05:47 PM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: New weight limits

ORIGINAL: mustang512

We have heard that AMA is looking to change the max weight limits from 55 lbs. up to 100 lbs. with out a waiver. Has anyone else heard of this ? Thanks
I have heard nothing. Since I am involved with both the insurance committee and the experimental aircraft subcommittee, there is a good chance I would have heard something.

I would also find it surprising in light of the SUAs pending rules. I don't think now would be a very good time for the AMA to be proposing liberalization of large aircraft regulations.

My bet is that this is unsubstantiated rumor.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:32 PM
mustang512

Thank you Keith and I agree with you. With the recent discussions re: the SUAs I to felt it was a rumor, but I wanted to make sure.
It would have been nice for the rules to change though as I am just now finishing a Don Smith Convair 440 and I should be around 45 lbs. Thanks again

Chip
Old 07-14-2009, 12:05 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I forwarded this thread to Jim Cherry at the AMA, and here is his answer regarding this subject.

Ken,

There are some members of the Council who are interested in discussing the current weight limits however the majority feel that the timing is not right since we're right in the middle of the FAA regulatory process for sUAS. I concur that the FAA issues need to be resolved first.

Jim

Jim Cherry
     Executive Director
Ken
Old 07-14-2009, 03:13 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Right from the horses mouth.

Thanks Ken
Old 07-20-2009, 01:51 AM
gunny11
My Feedback: (6)

I heard rumors of the FAA wanting to regulate the weight down to 40 pounds max. Anything over that weight limit is done, finished, cant fly it anymore, not going to be granfathered in, period.

Has anyone heard of this too. I heard this from a modeler who affiliates with the JPO Jet Pilots Organization.

Gunny
Old 07-20-2009, 06:17 AM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

I am president of the JPO and there has been no such discussion at the officer level. I believe the prior posts in this thread are accurate.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:06 AM
KidEpoxy

ORIGINAL: RCKen

I forwarded this thread to Jim Cherry at the AMA, and here is his answer regarding this subject.

Ken,
There are some members of the Council who are interested in discussing the current weight limits however the majority feel that the timing is not right since we're right in the middle of the FAA regulatory process for sUAS. I concur that the FAA issues need to be resolved first.
Jim
Jim Cherry
Executive Director
Ken

I'm kinda disapointed that they chose to not continue 'discussing' it
in light of the time frame of when any Fed changes will take place:
It will be a few years till any fed changes are handed down, and those could be years of flying for a lot of no-longer-experimental members.

Why doesnt muncie apply the fast-track shovethru of dropping the overweight waiver,
like the short time it took to shove unprepared PPP thru,
so we can fly during the years we wait for feds to stop us from flying?

MA told members to sit & wait regarding the SUAS ARC,
why not make that Fly & Wait instead
Old 07-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I really don't understand the desire to do away with the waiver on planes over 55#. I think the inspection process is a good thing in that it helps validate the safety of a large airplane. My partner and I built a 42% Super Decathlon that weighs 75# with fuel. We went through the complete inspection process. We did not find it difficult to get the waiver. We now have 8 flights on the plane and it is doing fine. If there is a good reason to do away with the waiver other than "just cause" I would like to hear it.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:20 AM
KidEpoxy

If there is a good reason to do away with the waiver other than "just cause" I would like to hear it.
yes
I too would like to hear ideas why we should eliminate the waiver, as well as why to keep it.
That would be 'discussing' it,
and I dont see why the EC shouldnt even discuss it just because the fed might say something in a few years.

If some of the EC were 'interested in discussing' it
why not let them discuss it.
And if their plan (whatever that is) has far more merit than detractors, why not implement it.

If we are hesitating because the Fed might ban 55lb down the road,
shouldnt we have the same worries about them banning 400ft at the same time (sUAS)
.... yet we are taking a sit back & dont worry approach on that.

If we are going to NotWorry about the possible upcoming 400' and 55lb limits,
well then, lets not worry about them and get on with business.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:07 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: Big_Bird

I really don't understand the desire to do away with the waiver on planes over 55#. I think the inspection process is a good thing in that it helps validate the safety of a large airplane. My partner and I built a 42% Super Decathlon that weighs 75# with fuel. We went through the complete inspection process. We did not find it difficult to get the waiver. We now have 8 flights on the plane and it is doing fine. If there is a good reason to do away with the waiver other than ''just cause'' I would like to hear it.
I don't see any desire to do do away with the waiver (by any agency public or private that is empowered to do so). What is bound to happen when FAA gets around to it is 'codifying' of a model airplane weight limit of 25 Kg (55 lb). This would put the US in step with the definition of model aircraft according to ICAO agreement, as much of the rest of the world is and has been for years. The US is a member nation of ICAO, and FAA is the US representative in that international body (they have an ICAO Dept), so there can be no doubt they are well aware of provisions of that international accord. Also there is little reason to expect that FAA would impose a lower limit; what would possibly motivate that?
In most other nations there is a waiver process to conditionally authorize exceeding that limit, much as AMA has in place. I think AMA is well placed to provide a model for the waiver process when FAA ultimately does promulgate the ICAO standards downline ..........could possibly even be designated as an agent of FAA for implementing the process. I believe there is precedent in other nations for the modeling organizations being delegated that responsibility.

Abel