RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   How did you spend Sat. 03-17-12? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/11005758-how-did-you-spend-sat-03-17-12-a.html)

oliveDrab 03-19-2012 09:46 AM

RE: How did you spend Sat. 03-17-12?

1 Attachment(s)
This is the best thread I've seen on RCU in a long time. Very informative. Wish I'd been at your fly-in.

On Saturday morning I worked a few hours at the local helicopter company here in Hurst, Texas then I went home and continued working on my electric King Kobra. It's too HEAVY [:@] but it'll fly well anyway just like my previous one did.

fly24-7 03-19-2012 09:47 AM

In Chicago it was 82 degrees, fairly low wind and I spent my day............................................... .........

Car shopping, for my wife... [:@]

llindsey1965 03-19-2012 10:32 AM

Spent all day saturday at the field , had so much fun , did it again sunday  , what a wonderful hobby we have  my 1/4 scale wagstaff flew flawless , my 33% yak was the stealer of the sky  wonderful day and now got to go back to work for 5 more days oh well come on saturday!!!!

raptureboy 03-19-2012 11:59 AM

Lets see ... laundry, tune up the lawn tractor, tire buying for my kid, changing said tire, changed the fuel lines on my GS Ryan STM, some more work on my P-40. Sun spent flying and wrecking my Ryan[:'(] Bounced the landing and dropped a wing tip and SNAP[:@][:@] beautiful weather otherwise. Now I can spend time repairing.[:o]

tonyob 03-19-2012 12:38 PM

I'm based in Queensland, Australia, so I was able to bring in the Saturday a fair bit earlier than the pilots in the U.S.

I got down to the flying field at around 9am and was there till about 2pm. In that time I managed a total of 8 flights.

3 were with a Great Plains big stik 40 that has a Saito FG14b motor.
3 were with a Seagull 40 low wing plane that has an ASP .61 4 stroke motor.
2 were with a friends e-flight sbach.

The first flight was fun in that my plane was held up from taking off by the appearance of a large group of Kangaroos bounding across the runway.

I haven't flown a lot recently and wasn't too pleased with my first couple of flights.

My landings in particular were quite bouncy. But the later flights were some of the best I've had in a long time.

I walked off the flying field with a big smile from ear to ear.

Then it was off to the local Irish pub for a few pints of Guiness and Kilkennys. Life is good, especially on St Patrick's day!

rgburrill 03-19-2012 12:56 PM

Grumbled about the wind Saturday morning [:o]</p>

Found out too late Saturday afternoon that the winds died down [:@]</p>

Tried to fly Sunday morning and found the park locked up [X(]</p>

Worked some on my plane Sunday afternoon :eek:</p>

At least I didn't drink any green beer [:'(]</p>

wyo69cowboy 03-19-2012 01:33 PM

We held our annual club swapmeet and banquet dinner! Swap from 9 to noon; flew a couple times out the back door of the swap on my Sabre 35, then a couple times on my 50cc plane in higher winds in the afternoon. Found time to smoke 50# of prime rib for dinner at 6:30 in between :D mmmm....goood!

treehanger 03-19-2012 04:01 PM

Saturday here in north Florida was a perfect day with very little breeze. After failing to connect with my instructor, I went to the field to fly. My wife has been wanting me to just go fly it like I did in 1969. So, no one was at the field and I had 4 flights! The first 3 had rocky landings that killed the engine but the last flight had a great landing and I taxied back. Called it a day and drove home on a cloud. Didn't want to push my luck.

Today I had a flight with a perfect touch-a-go then a "touch-and-don't go"! Bent the front landing gear. No big deal! It was a great 3 days.
Bob

KFX450 03-19-2012 05:18 PM

Saturday was a little over cast and near 60? I believe, up here in NH..I logged 4 successful flights on my boomerang Elan, while dom from our club put on a display with his C-ARF Edge 540. Dom's friend Paul whom I have had the pleasure of meeting, was doing very well with his trainer also..Great start to our season being able to get some turbine flying in this early in the season. Tomorrow is suppose to be 80 here so taking the BU32 to the flying field in the A.M. This Thursday they said its going to be around 87!!! Got to love our New England weather...

Jim Thomerson 03-19-2012 06:34 PM

I spent Saturday morning Judging 20 some flights in control line Classic Stunt at the Vintage Stunt Contest in Tucson. Some really excellent patterns. The wind came up pretty good for the last three or four flights and the last flier unfortunately crashed in the vertical 8's. By that time there were 40 MPH gusts. The front really blew in that afternoon, fortunately after the contest ended. There were no other crashes on my circle over the three days I judged. Ate a burger at the field, went to a hobby shop, watched basketball on the TV, and went to the awards banquet Saturday night.

Hossfly 03-19-2012 07:19 PM

ORIGINAL: eddieC

<font size=''3''>I had coffee with my RC buds at the Rainbow Lounge as usual on Sat. Then had household cleaning to do, fairly windy anyway.

Horrace, great thread! What are you using for a clubhouse? I'm trying to talk the club into a park model or FEMA trailer, also to buy some property instead of leasing. Seems every 5-6 years we have to move. </font>
Thank You EddieC. Yes it even surprises me. Here modelers from many places are giving some info about their daily lives. No fussing just good talking. I do like it! :)

Your question: Clubhouse!

Jetero RC Club, Inc., www.jetero.com, is on the NE area of Houston, TX. Being shoved off some commercial property, about 16 years ago, Jetero had the opportunity to become a property owner. There was "someone" that bought 100 acres of flat farmland and leased to Jetero 30 acres. After 18 months Jetero purchased 30 acres from "someone" who held the note at a low interest rate. About 6 years ago Jetero purchased 20 additional acres. Jetero, within days of first lease, erected a used-steel shelter, about 2000 sq. ft. over dirt but soon had a concrete floor under 4000 sq. ft of concrete under steel. Part of that became a partial closed in kitchen area. We also had 2 Indoor restrooms on the property with septic system.

Then along came "IKE". Ike leveled the entire structure, absolutely devastated the structure, except the kitchen area. Well, Jetero stood up and said, "Let's do it over!." Well, again, after about 2 years, Jetero had a NEW Steel structure over some 5000 sq. ft and went on to complete the Kitchen Area into a closed room with plenty windows, air conditioned, two refrigerator-freezers, grill, sinks (we have our own well) full electrics throughout the facility, paved walk with new starting stands, pilot stations and protective fencing. Mind you this was done without financial help as there was no insurance on the original shelter, etc.

In the summer starting in April, we use the club facility as a "Club House". Monthly meetings are there. Starting in November, we are allowed to use a nearby county park facility room for meetings. Very friendly group, but closing is 9 PM rather early. Then a second meeting as a bunch adjourns to a very friendly Mexican food restaurant. That is how it now goes. :)

Now to all others, please don't think I am boasting or such. Yes, I am proud that this club has had so many good breaks. I am proud to be part of it. But for the record there have been some strong "downers", however many good folks have brought in more "Uppers". Thank You Sir, Up There!

Back to Saturday! :D

flyntruk 03-19-2012 07:41 PM

How did I spend that Sat ? ... Well I was sick most of Fri nite.. So I couched it all day ...   Been feeling off for a couple of days ..

1 big skeeter 03-19-2012 08:02 PM

Worked a 12 hr shift Friday 1900-0700. Slept 7 hours. Got up &amp; did the SSS. Ate. Back to work for another 12..... Thought about flying all night.....

flycatch 03-20-2012 09:03 AM

Spent the entire day assembling my new ARF Hangar Nine Extra 260. This will be my first 3D airframe.

K-Bob 03-20-2012 03:16 PM

Got in 15 practice sequences. Starting to feel <strike>good</strike> better about the 2012 IMAC season.

1320Fastback 03-20-2012 03:49 PM

Um....... Well here in So Calif. it was raining and blowing about 20 MPH so I spent it inside building a new gaming PC

Actually 2 weekends in a row that have been less than ideal to fly.

AMA 1,000,000

BarracudaHockey 03-21-2012 04:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Spent the day down in Cocoa Beach for an aero-tow at Indian River Kontrol Society

pettit 03-22-2012 02:55 AM

I did this:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11006725/tm.htm

Thomas B 03-22-2012 12:32 PM

Nice to see a mostly positive thread in this forum!

oliveDrab 03-22-2012 05:16 PM

Nice tow-plane. What brand of plane/motor is that?

pettit 03-23-2012 02:37 AM

World Models 25% Pawnee.  23 pounds with a G-62

sscherin 03-27-2012 09:34 AM

I spent that weekend in Portland and managed to run down to the Evergreen Air Museum in McMinville, OR.
The Hughes H-4 Hercules AKA "The Spruce Goose" is one big bird.

Lots of nice planes there..

crash99 03-30-2012 11:42 AM

It looked like fun. We spent the afternoon flying here in central Missouri. From 12:30 thought 8:30 - 9:00. We did the same on the 18th, 21st, 24th,25th and the 28th. What great weather we have been given. We have a Kids event tomorrow for the easter egg hunt in town. I love seeing the kids watching the planes flip flop in the air.

It will be a small area so I will assume small e- flying and 3D.

Crash99