Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Please, dear God, make them stop!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Please, dear God, make them stop!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 03:00 PM
capt1597

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Please, dear God, make them stop!

ORIGINAL: foodstick

You know way back when,old life jackets used BALSA for flotation, but eventually they moved to a superior product...FOAM !!!

Ha ha, we do need a cabin fever thread ... not gonna restart the rap thing, just leave DAFT PUNK alone....
i remember cork floatation devices not balsa. the boat Kon tiki was built of balsa and barely made that one trip.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:08 PM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: gtobil
Not sure what happens if a 60 size mustang hits a stryker but I suspect the time is coming!
this happened at our field, mustang was at full speed, level flight, first time I've ever seen it snow in kansas in the middle of July, and the mustang landed safely with some minor tears in the covering
Old 12-13-2010, 03:08 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

hhhmmm, maybe I was mistaken? I thought it was blocks of foam that had been used.. It seems like I read it way WAY back in an old thread here on rcu.. There was some hobbyist/kit manufacturer that had bought a enormous amount of balsa from the navy,or shipyard...its been a long time since I read that thread. It was interesting , I do remember that much.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:23 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what you are saying, To a real RC P-51 a foam plane is just a snack?
Old 12-13-2010, 03:59 PM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

yea, the mustang flew again later that day looking for another snack, but all the foamies ran away and hid
Old 12-13-2010, 04:02 PM
hairy46

Geez foamies are smarter then they look!
Old 12-13-2010, 04:34 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: capt1597

ORIGINAL: foodstick

You know way back when,old life jackets used BALSA for flotation, but eventually they moved to a superior product...FOAM !!!

Ha ha, we do need a cabin fever thread ... not gonna restart the rap thing, just leave DAFT PUNK alone....
i remember cork floatation devices not balsa. the boat Kon tiki was built of balsa and barely made that one trip.
Sorry, I saw the boat in Norway if memory serves me well. They used some Bolivian hollow weed thing from lake Titicaca, NOT balsa:-) They used the system the locals use to navegate the lake, just bigger... They did more than one trip in those kind of boats. Yes, they were nuts!

Balsa is good fer ya'. Said that, I still have in operation a Wingo that was crashed many times in the cornfield, slept there for days until found, and it is still RTF. Foam lasts forever...

Gerry
Old 12-13-2010, 04:44 PM
gtobil

Now that Iwant to see.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:00 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Car doors that lock themselves!!!!

AND won't unlock unless the car is in PARK - geeze, don't the manufactures ever stop to just drop someone off?

I'm sure their defense is that it's a ''Safety Feature''. I say if you're too stupid to get out of a car without getting run over by it, it's Darwin's theory in action.
LMBO Ha. . Just like we say around the shop. "Ya can't fix stupid". Ha.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:27 PM
hy flyr
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Car doors that lock themselves!!!!

AND won't unlock unless the car is in PARK - geeze, don't the manufactures ever stop to just drop someone off?

I'm sure their defense is that it's a ''Safety Feature''. I say if you're too stupid to get out of a car without getting run over by it, it's Darwin's theory in action.
I also want to know what ever happened to a simple metal key? My wife's car has the keyless remote thing; it is cool but it can be needlessly complicated to deal with sometimes. I would love to just tick a key in there and turn it. Simple and reliable.

I agree!! On my wifes new truck there is only one door with a key slot!! Can't open it from the passenger side or the back doors. And that one and only key hole is always freezing up in the winter. Also the doors locking themselves when we're driving is a huge PITA!
Old 12-13-2010, 05:27 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Speakin' of car keys, how are the scumwads gonna 'key your car' if all they have is a wide plastic FOB?
Old 12-13-2010, 06:35 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

In my field foamies and real RC planes fly in different [X(]the foamies dont risk been eaten
Old 12-13-2010, 06:42 PM
opwan
My Feedback: (2)

The Mustang won't be able to catch the Stryker, how they gonna collide? I have one and it screams! There is not a more fun to fly plane out there than the "Stryker".

We are thinking of putting stickers on our nitro planes that say "I eat foam" due to the propensity of the foam flyers at our field to fly directly in the path of our "real" planes. Not sure what happens if a 60 size mustang hits a stryker but I suspect the time is coming!
Old 12-13-2010, 06:44 PM
opwan

Evadently you have seen the brail stop signs either......
ORIGINAL: gabarber

I agree with Minnflyer!

Unfortunately, the government has taken upon itself to protect the stupid people from their own demise, therefore further contaminating the U.S. gene pool with each generation.

My case-in-point:

Why do hair curling irons and hair dryers have that GIANT sticker on the cord that says: "Do not use in or near water"?

Now, I am not the smartest person in the U.S. infact, I'm not even close. I do however, have something that helps me survive every day- common sense! Common sense is not so common anymore...

One last question: Why do drive-up ATM's have braille on the number pad? I DON'T GET IT!!!
Old 12-13-2010, 06:48 PM
opwan

That is the sweet sound of speed! Are you guys not amazed at the electric revolution has come so far like I am? I have flown for 35 years and I love my electrics as much or more than my nitro and Gasoline planes.
ORIGINAL: hairy46

Foam should be used to keep cold things cold and some times hot things warm, and even to pack real RC planes in but never flown! We have a striker that flys at our field sometimes and I have to say that that is the most anoying sound you can find! YARG!!!
Old 12-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

No. That's what a thermos is for.

Boss says to the blonde secretary. "What do you have there?".
"Oh, it's a thermos it keeps cold things cold and hot things hot."
"What inside the thermos?" he asked.
"Chicken soup and ice cream". She replied.

ORIGINAL: hairy46

Foam should be used to keep cold things cold and some times hot things warm, and even to pack real RC planes in but never flown! We have a striker that flys at our field sometimes and I have to say that that is the most anoying sound you can find! YARG!!!
Old 12-13-2010, 08:23 PM
hairy46

Old 12-13-2010, 08:46 PM
gtobil

The Mustang won't be able to catch the Stryker, how they gonna collide? I have one and it screams! There is not a more fun to fly plane out there than the "Stryker".
quote:

We are thinking of putting stickers on our nitro planes that say "I eat foam" due to the propensity of the foam flyers at our field to fly directly in the path of our "real" planes. Not sure what happens if a 60 size mustang hits a stryker but I suspect the time is coming!

Uuuh my mustangs are faster than my stryker. The problem isn't the speed, the problem is the foam guys tend not to fly in the pattern.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:03 PM
hairy46

P-51's just have to learn to eat faster!
Old 12-13-2010, 10:43 PM
ct_quicksilver

I used to fly balsa models but the foam models are so much easier to pack around in the car and easy to fix.. No fuel mess, no nitro or gas to buy.. They tend to bounce if you make a mistake... balsa blows up on impact... I have cartwheeled my typhoon 2 so many times and just pick it up and toss it back in the air... I own 5 planes right now and not one is made of balsa.... Ive had 1/4 scale cubs and every style of balsa plane, but for me foam is the ticket... I dont fly at a field cause the nearest one is 40 miles away. Would I ever take a foam plane to a field..... I doubt it. Im not bragging about flying foam planes, I fly them out of convenience.. If I break something I tape it, glue it or buy a new one and its good to go.. Im not trying to impress anyone....just trying to have some inexpensive fun.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:57 PM
hairy46

One thing for sure there is a place in this hobby for everyone! Our club president flys nothing but electric and mostly foam, Some that fly tend to fly both! I have ARF's but like to build more as do some of the others! I am into War-birds some are 3D. But we all fly what we like to fly and get along doing it! Its what we are use too, I will always be a kit builder because that is a big part of this hobby to me, For some its all about the flying! But what ever shows up at our field will always be welcome and we will do our best to make the person feel at home! We have guys that fly with us from Colorado, Idaho and all parts of Wyoming, Bring what you got and fly what you bring!
Old 12-14-2010, 07:53 AM
kennod51

I started building back in 75. Guillows stick and tissue kits. I'd put the cox 1/2 a (teedee) on the plane and free flight it. I lost several planes. I moved up to Sterling kits like the Rimfire. Built a couple Lancers and SkyLarks. So I got fair at building kits. I've flown RC with some folks that were super good at building. But they are starting to become a rare breed. China ARFs have changed the scene. And I'm guilty of taking the easy way out also. I have not built a kit in quite some time. But I have enough building skill to make an ARF look really nice. And I get to see a project fly much faster now. So foamies and ARFs keep folks flying. A lot of flyers wouldn't be flying if it weren't for foamies and ARFs
Old 12-14-2010, 08:25 AM
capt1597

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thor heyerdalh (?) sailed a raft built out of balsa logs named kon-tiki. later he sailed a boats made out of reeds named ra and ra II. i hope they do not start making planes out of reeds because we might dislike them more.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:59 AM
hairy46

Seen the movies they were great when I was a kid! They even had someone come to the movie and talk about it before and after the movie kind of set it up for us! Ra Ra one and two!
Old 12-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Kmot

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: capt1597

i hope they do not start making planes out of reeds because we might dislike them more.
Hahahaha!!

I wonder what some of that "mystery wood" in ARF's from 'Nam is?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.