Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Waco?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Waco?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 11:28 AM
GaryA
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Waco?

Ok, I'm hooked, gonna have to get me one of these! Ancientcityflyer showed his off to me and now I'm hooked. I just joined the club and I was looking for a good bipe. Whats better than a good ole WACO! Saaaalute!!

Ok, where can I get the best deal on one?

Old 06-24-2011, 02:26 PM
skillet92

The best deal is to join Tower Hobbies super saver club and get the 50 off of 300 hundred deal. That is what I did and I can tell ya, I love the way mine flies and looks!!!!
Old 06-24-2011, 05:39 PM
mobyal

Boy, I was in Hobby Hanger in Chantilly VA yesterday; they had one in stock ($479) and also had the recommended OS 95. I ALMOST went for the airplane/engine combo. Probably would have 'cept I have this one from the PICA kit that I haven't even flown yet.
The GP WACO sure is a nice looking bird, tho.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig64872.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1627316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33950.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	1627317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58360.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1627318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64129.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1627319  
Old 06-24-2011, 06:32 PM
cannonball200
My Feedback: (36)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

$384. plus shipping at my LHS in Moore, OK. The price reflects 20% off all planes in stock because the store will be closing July 15. We are all sad because it was a great shop and a great hang-out. The Realm of Hobbies & Games. 405-794-8081. Hours 11am to 7pm Tuesday thru Saturday. I'm not sure how much the freight would be UPS but he could tell you.
Ask for Jim.

He had 2 Waco's but I took the other one. It is nearly finished and they are awesome indeed. I'm installing a DLE 20 on mine which is plenty of power and is gas....

Thanks,
Eddie

It has been sold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 6/30/2011
Old 06-24-2011, 08:23 PM
pattnut

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You will really like the DLE 20/WACO combination. Light weight, plenty of power..

Old Dawg
Old 06-24-2011, 10:17 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

M, who is your pilot? Looks real nice!
ORIGINAL: mobyal

Boy, I was in Hobby Hanger in Chantilly VA yesterday; they had one in stock ($479) and also had the recommended OS 95. I ALMOST went for the airplane/engine combo. Probably would have 'cept I have this one from the PICA kit that I haven't even flown yet.
The GP WACO sure is a nice looking bird, tho.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:16 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just finished soldering 4-40 nuts to all of the brackets. What a great tip! I used Stay Brite and my trusty Weller soldering gun. It only took a few minutes to do and I know it'll save a lot of frustration at the field. Thanks for the tip!

FB
Old 06-26-2011, 02:45 PM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Still seeing some tendency to try and nose over on landing. Could fuel sloshing back and forth cause a problem ? It's an 18 ounce tank. Could the mains be too far back, should they have been built about a 1/2 inch more forward ? mm PS, it's balanced right at the factory marks.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:55 PM
handyman 220
My Feedback: (54)

I have joined the Waco fraternity. This is an awesome looking plane. I don't know when I will start the build, but all the parts look great. I'm following this thread and deciding which mods to incorporate on mine. Keep up the outstanding work guys![sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 06-26-2011, 04:37 PM
leedees

ORIGINAL: MormonMike

Still seeing some tendency to try and nose over on landing. Could fuel sloshing back and forth cause a problem ? It's an 18 ounce tank. Could the mains be too far back, should they have been built about a 1/2 inch more forward ? mm PS, it's balanced right at the factory marks.
Mike, that is puzzling. Nobody else seeing this tendency? You are an experienced flyer so I sure wouldn't insult you by asking a bunch of obvious questions but please let us know how and when you get it sorted out.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Pilot P51
My Feedback: (6)

Mike
their is nothing wrong with the plane and I agree with Leedees if you are an experienced flyer then you have over looked something. Sounds to me you have a CG problem with the nose over or too much nose weight. You should have no problems landing this plane even on a full tank of fuel the plane should not nose over.

Walt

Old 06-27-2011, 03:17 AM
skillet92

ORIGINAL: MormonMike

Mike mine is balanced right on the factory mark and it has no tendency to nose over on takeoff or landing. Mine actually will do nice long main wheel roll outs on coming in to land before sitting down on the tail wheel. I fly with a dle 30 that uses very little of the factor tank for a 10 minute flight so I land always with over half and it has no affect. Man I hope that you figure it out because it is a great flyer and looker!
Old 06-27-2011, 07:47 AM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your Pica one, looks awesome!

Well done....
Old 06-30-2011, 06:39 PM
n6iap

I had not seen anything for a couple of days so thought I would post a status update.

From the photo you can tell I am in the process of building a custom motor mount for the Saito 200R3. In an effort to make certain that the engine and shaft are centered I, made a 15mm thick mount from 5 – 3mm ply sheets. I have a bolt running through the sheets at the engine’s center point going through the gas tank hole and temporarily securing things while I “wiggle” the engine to the true center. The reason I have time to make this entry now is because I forgot to glue the pieces for the centering tool that I will use to find the exact location. Glue on it will be set in the AM and then I’ll be able to mark the location, remove the mount plates, cut the center out to lower weight, and then mount it all permanently. My plan is to make the mount oval, resembling the ones supplied with the ARF.

Don’t know about you but this photo (the plane and its character) really helped me realize why I like WACO’s.

I hope everyone else is finding their way through the manual.

Name:	Yw67252.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1629978  
Old 06-30-2011, 10:32 PM
leedees

Very very cool.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:41 AM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Well, I seem to be losing all patience as I get older. Although the plane is now a snap to assemble at the field with the nuts soldered to the brackets, putting all those little 4-40 washers on the bolts everytime was starting to drive me crazy, not to mention that the washers seem to want to stick to the painted struts on dis-assembly. So I've now soldered all the washers to the bolts so there's absolutely no fumbling around. Can't think of much else to do except maybe design a folding attach point for the N-struts to make it easier to transport with the struts still attached to one wing. Will let you know what I come up with.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:54 AM
n6iap

Looks like timing is everything. This photo just posted on the WACO YMF (Brotherhood) thread. It is the answer to how to transport without removing the N struts.

Not suggesting anything, just relaying info. It does look like a great idea.

I have been putting the wings on my SS for a couple of years and the only thing I regret is all the bolts, nuts and washers eaten by the area around where I prep the airplane at the field. I buy them in bulk and carry them with me.

jimm

Name:	Xv63751.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	1630176  
Old 07-01-2011, 11:39 AM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Yeah, unfortunately GP didn't design the plane with wing tubes in mind. With my Double Vision, I can leave the left and right side wing pairs assembled, just slide them on the wing tubes, and 2 bolts later I'm ready to fly. Still, its a great little plane and the more the more I fly it, the more I like it.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: RBACONS

Yeah, unfortunately GP didn't design the plane with wing tubes in mind. With my Double Vision, I can leave the left and right side wing pairs assembled, just slide them on the wing tubes, and 2 bolts later I'm ready to fly. Still, its a great little plane and the more the more I fly it, the more I like it.

That one happens to be a third scale model. Yours is one fifth scale. The one in the photo is a Peter Barth Model. It has a wingspan in the vicinity of 120 inches.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 07-04-2011, 07:23 AM
Free Bird

had not seen anything for a couple of days so thought I would post a status update.

From the photo you can tell I am in the process of building a custom motor mount for the Saito 200R3. In an effort to make certain that the engine and shaft are centered I, made a 15mm thick mount from 5 – 3mm ply sheets. I have a bolt running through the sheets at the engine’s center point going through the gas tank hole and temporarily securing things while I “wiggle” the engine to the true center. The reason I have time to make this entry now is because I forgot to glue the pieces for the centering tool that I will use to find the exact location. Glue on it will be set in the AM and then I’ll be able to mark the location, remove the mount plates, cut the center out to lower weight, and then mount it all permanently. My plan is to make the mount oval, resembling the ones supplied with the ARF.

Don’t know about you but this photo (the plane and its character) really helped me realize why I like WACO’s.

I hope everyone else is finding their way through the manual.
n6iap,

What are you going use for the exhaust system on your 200R3?, I've installed a 170R3, and I've got the Keleo collector ring, but it doesn't fit. The boot cowl would have to be really hacked up to get it in there. For the moment, I'm using the Saito Flex Pipes. Thoughts?

FB
Old 07-04-2011, 07:35 AM
leedees

Free Bird, please post your observations on the 170R3 power system/GP Waco airframe combination after you've had a few flights.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:50 AM
Free Bird

I'm still in the build process. If things go well, it should ready in a couple of days.

FB
Old 07-04-2011, 07:31 PM
n6iap

Free Bird,

I know, Kelvin's normal ring for the Saito 170R3/200R3 does not fit, it needs to move forward to clear. Not at liberty now to say what or how, but I expect to have a working system this week and I'll take pictures when it is done. I suspect that the builder will be willing to make more but I have to ask before saying anything.

jimm
Old 07-05-2011, 04:36 AM
Free Bird

Free Bird,

I know, Kelvin's normal ring for the Saito 170R3/200R3 does not fit, it needs to move forward to clear. Not at liberty now to say what or how, but I expect to have a working system this week and I'll take pictures when it is done. I suspect that the builder will be willing to make more but I have to ask before saying anything.

jimm
Sounds interesting, please keep us posted Jimm. As I'm not crazy about using the flex pipes. Thanks!

FB
Old 07-09-2011, 04:22 AM
Free Bird

Any updates on the exhaust system Jimm?

If all goes well, I'll maiden my Waco tomorrow. More to come.........

FB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.