Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

NEW HANGAR 9 CHRISTEN EAGLE

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

NEW HANGAR 9 CHRISTEN EAGLE

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 02:56 PM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: NEW HANGAR 9 CHRISTEN EAGLE

Hey m1morrow,
If it fly like the Great Plane one, you will have a blast!!! My Hangar 9 Eagle is still in the shipping box waiting for a spot to clear on my workbench!! I drop a OS 61AX in the nose of the Great Planes Eagle and I must say, it love it!!! On the one that is still in the box. I will be going with a Thunder Tiger F-130 four stroke in the nose. Hope to have ready for maiden soon, before the good flying weather is gone!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 08-26-2012, 01:37 PM
jet22b

Okay Guys;
Here you go!! Had a spot to come open on my work bench, so the Hangar 9 Christen Eagle II flew off of the shelf. Two days later she is done. Hope to fly her next weekend and I will post a flight report. As you can see I also have the Great Plane Christen Eagle!! I just love her!!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53464.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	1795479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39718.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	1795480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13646.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	1795481  
Old 08-26-2012, 01:43 PM
handyman 220
My Feedback: (54)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jet22b

+1 on that pic, I have both kits also!
Old 09-05-2012, 06:22 PM
corvettez06
My Feedback: (8)

Any vids yet of this plane with the DLE 20?
Old 09-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Tx_RcFlyer
My Feedback: (7)

Somewhat dissappointed with this plane. Screws that hold the cabanes are PITA to get started. I cross threaded three of the four and ripped the blind nuts out of the pooer quality lite ply utilized in this area.. I'm not convinced it was my fault and wonder if they didn't have glue or some thing in themas this happened when I was trial fitting them before attempting to install the cabanes. Anyway, I did a psuedo work around to finish assembly. Not completely happy about the temp fix, but it worked. The good on this plane: With a DLE20 this plane is a joy to fly. It feels light on the sticks and is nimble in the air. No additional weight required to balance. Careful placement of the twin receiver battery packs and ignition battery were the key. I seriosly contemplated calling Horizon about the cabane screws. The reality is, I had already installed the tail feathers and with my luck they would have wanted me to ship this thing back at my own expense. Now my psuedo fix was obviously temporary as after the fifth flight, the cabanes are loose. In addition, I noticed one of the mount points that bolt to fuselagefor the bottom wing is loose. Looks like this thing is going to sit a while before I fixwhat I consider shoddy craftsmanship.Perhaps I got one of the lemons from the lot, I don't know, ButI certainly expectbetter for the price. I'm completely dissappointed as it "WAS" ajoy to fly.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:54 PM
m1morrow
My Feedback: (3)

Sorry to hear about your plane.  I would send the fuse back for a new one since it its suck a head turner.  I also had trouble getting the last bolt in the cabane.  It was the only annoying part of the build.  But I just finished a CMP cessna 182 that was such a piece of crap it made this model seem super quality and easy to assemble.

My Eagle with the Saito 125 looks and sounds sooooo sweet.  I just like watching it idle......  Although the engine is breaking in it does still shake the plane quite a bit.

My only gripe with the plane is that with a 16x6 MAS prop on my SAITO 125 I need to have about 65-70% throttle to keep the plane from sloshing around in the air.  Its not like its going to stall or anything......I just thought it would not have to have 80% throttle to be really responsive.  Of course when I give full power it will climb straight up and fly fairly fast.  You guys have any tips on a prop?  Right now I'm turning a 16x6 at 9300 rpm(slightly rich).  I'm thinking a 16x7 or 16x8 might make it fly a little faster at 1/2 throttle and save me some gas and flight time.

The plane is super easy to taxi, takeoff and land.  Tumbles and snaps are the coolest.  rolls and loops ans straight and easy.  Its just a cool plane!!!  It does get hard to see if you get it too far away though.  :-)
Old 11-24-2012, 09:00 PM
John8861
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi guys,
I just finished reading your posts and was not surprised when I read that some of you had found that there was 2 degrees of up thrust on the engine box. I found this as well. I put a YS 120 on my plane and it has plenty of power but my plane required virtually all of the down trim on my radio, a whopping 3/8 inch when measured after I landed. Did any of you have the same problem with your plane needing this much down trim? If not I could have gotten the balance wrong. I did balance the plane at the 5 1/4 inches as required in the manual. with the heavy YS motor I had to add 3 oz of lead to the tail and put the battery back in the fuselage as far as I could get it. If any of you have any thoughts I would appreciate it.

Thanks
John
Old 11-25-2012, 05:16 AM
Bob Howard

With a DLE 20 0n mine it balanced right on. Very little trim of any kind was needed.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:33 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I would would double check your balance
Old 11-26-2012, 05:02 AM
John8861

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, we will do.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:22 AM
Pitts532M
My Feedback: (1)

Hey guys, Mrs. Santa bought the plane for me for Christmas.

I'm a month out from starting on it, but has anyone put a smoke system in yet? Will be using O.S. 120 4 Stroke.

Thanks,

Mike

Spitfire Brotherhood #37

Old 12-28-2012, 10:49 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Mine has a smoke system. Well, running 30 percent heli fuel in my Saito looks like it does in any case
Old 04-06-2013, 12:38 PM
corvettez06

Can someone post some pics of a DLE 20 install on this plane? I would like some ideas on the throttle linkage configuration.

thanks.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:04 AM
steph280
My Feedback: (5)

I lost my Great Planes Christen Eagle this past weekend after hitting a storage container on a botched takeoff. Had a couple dozen flights and it was a wonderful plane, but bigger is always better! So I'll be shopping for one of these Hangar 9 kits. Due to the local field restriction, this one will be built as electric.

Thanks for all the great info.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:48 PM
Granpooba

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok you guys with the gas engines, here is the question for you. I have a DLE-20 sitting right here next to my new OS GT 22. Which engine would you choose for the Eagle ?

Keep in mind which ever engine is left over will go into my next Great Planes Revolver 70.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:12 AM
Granpooba

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Ok you guys with the gas engines, here is the question for you. I have a DLE-20 sitting right here next to my new OS GT 22. Which engine would you choose for the Eagle ?

Keep in mind which ever engine is left over will go into my next Great Planes Revolver 70.
Well, nobody replied, thus I committed my OS GT 22 to the Eagle and my Revolver gets the DLE-20 !
Old 10-09-2013, 07:23 AM
corvettez06

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Well, nobody replied, thus I committed my OS GT 22 to the Eagle and my Revolver gets the DLE-20 !
I would like to get this plane in the near future and use a dle 20ra. I have seen YouTube videos of this plane with both a dle 20 and the gt22. You can't go wrong with either engine. Keep us posted on your build and post some pics if you get a chance. I am interested to see your throttle linkage setup and placement of ignition and batts.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:10 AM
RCRedbaron

Ah, the Hangar 9 Christian Eagle II. I have one and a GOOD story to go with it. I first built the plane in February, 2013 and built it to be electric. Didn't like it, couldn't hear it because of the other 3 nitro flyers all flying at the same time. Nitro is my 1st choice too, so I pulled out the electric and installed an OS .95AX. Flew beautifully but the AX stunk. Now I have been in the hobby for over 25 years and have tuned many engines. This OS .95AX was a Bad Seed. Don't buy this engine. I have always had good results with the OS .91FX so I went to RC Universe and found two, brand new in the box and bought them both. Now this is a great engine, second only to my favorite, Webra engines. Anyway, I put the OS .91 in the Eagle and the sky's the limit. This plane flies great, but the CG is very important. My CG is at 5 1/2" back on the top wing, near the center. Back from the straight part of the leading edge. Also VERY important is to balance the plane laterally. Do this by after the plane is finished without fuel but EVERYTHING else is installed and ready to go, set the plane on a level surface and place the prop in a vertical position. Now just pull the plane up slightly from the top of the vertical prop and notice which wing drops. That wing is the heavy one. Simply add enough weight to the light wing TIP, until you get a rather good balance. Without this step, this plane will drop a wing on landing and you will now have a good, "rest of the day". I am turning a 14X7 APC and using 40% expo on all 3 surfaces. Flies great and lands smooth and LEVEL. RCRedBaron, Ft. Lauderdale, Fl.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Black Drape

Hey Red Baron

Would you show us how you are getting the exhaust out of the cowl? I have a Saito 125 in mine and it is coming out!!!!! There is no way to keep the muffler on that engine with the 90 degree adapter you have to use.

Thanks
Ron
Old 10-10-2013, 05:03 AM
RCRedbaron

Morning Ron,

The pictures shown are my Eagle set up with full electric, so no muffler. When I converted it to the lousy OS .95AX, I used a pitts muffler. Today, with the new OS.91FX, a great engine, I am using the stock OS muffler with the cowling cut out around it. Fits well and it is barely noticed, except for the fact the muffler is gray and the cowling is white, ha. You are using a 4-stroke which I did as well in my scratch built "der jager", a WWI type of German fighter. See attached photo. Maybe you could call Horizon hobby and ask their customer service department if they have any extensions for the Saito 125 to keep it under the cowl.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:05 AM
BOLTMAN
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got one of these for my birthday & test flew it on the weekend. Flew well but needed quite a bit of down trim. C of G is a couple of mm in front of recommended.
I am curious to know how these are going for the guys using either the DLE 20 or OS 22 GT? I have the OS which gives it heaps of power, but shakes the airframe alot at idle. The OS is really smooth above idle and the prop is perfectly balanced. I worry this airframe is too light to handle this motor in the long run.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:30 PM
CaptRKO
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just maiden'ed mine today.....long time Eagle model guy, Byron, Great Planes, Pilot, Frank Knoll etc....basically every Eagle model ever produced I have had one and flown one.

Mine has a DLE-20.....no weight needed CG was right on the money as per the manual.....airplane is a little screamer with the DLE-20....no trim needed on test flight except a little down trim. She is a biplane with the usual pitch coupling on Knife Edge....looks good, flies good and fits assembled in my truck....HANGAR 9 you never let me down!
Old 02-06-2015, 09:22 PM
jet22b

CaptRKO;
Glad to hear you had a good maiden flight today!! You are right, H-9 did a great job with this bird!! I also have the Great Plane Eagle with a OS .61 in the nose!!
She is a joy to fly!!! Everyone in my club want to fly my H-9 Eagle, but not the Great Plane one!! I wonder "why"!!! lol
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 11-16-2015, 07:56 PM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I flew my new H9 Christen Eagle for the first time yesterday. Fell in love with it on the first flight. Mine is powered with an OS 91 surpass 2 and has more than enough power to do any maneuver that I'm capable of. AUW came out to 8lb 5oz for a wing loading of 21 oz. I figured out by the second flight that I could take off, fly out about 150' beyond the runway, cross couple the aileron and rudder and fly back down and land. It could turn in it's own wingspan. The grin on my face was so big my ears hurt.

I think this is my new favorite plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Christen Eagle II.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	2.73 MB
ID:	2131009  

Last edited by KaP2011; 11-16-2015 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:11 PM
born2build

O.K. Here's how I'm setting up my Eagle:
Engine- Supertigre G90 Ring.
Muffler- Bisson Pitts style
Motor mount- Hyde Soft Mount
Spinner- Tru-Turn Brushed Aluminum
Radio- Futaba 8J
Servos- Hitec 645MG (4), 322HD for throttle
Hinges- Robart 1/8" hinge points
Pushrods- Central Hobbies 1/8" carbon fibre with 4-40 titanium rod ends
Control horns- Central Hobbies 1'' aluminum with ball bearings
Clevises- Sullivan 4-40 Golden Clevis (8)
Throttle-Sullivan 2-56 Flex Cable
Mains- Sullivan 2-3/4" SkyLite
tail wheel assembly-Dubro Semi-scale
aileron slave struts- Sullivan Pre-threaded 4/40 rods
Hitec H.D. twisted aileron extensions
Sullivan Remote Glow Driver
Central Hobbies Fuel Dot
Dubro H.D. servo arms
Dubro 14oz. fuel tank
Ernst H.D. Switch Harness with charge jack
Propeller-Xoar 14x6 Beechwood
Did I forget anything? Any questions? I am currently setting up the front of the plane and I'm looking for a slick way to extend the exaust down tubes, Any ideas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.