Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Nexstar wing troubles

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Nexstar wing troubles

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 09:55 AM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nexstar wing troubles

Idid the usual forum search and found nothing. Has anyone encountered a problem getting the wings on theirs to slide together properly?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60656.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	1753113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm76409.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	1753114  
Old 04-24-2012, 11:57 AM
jimgee1
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nexstar wing troubles

Jeff,

I don't know what to tell you... Call Hobbico service and they'll help.. They may give you a return permission number. Then you can return the wing halves and it'll be their problem. They will probably send you a new wing.. They're good that way..

Jim Gallagher
Old 04-25-2012, 05:30 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Is the problem a wing joiner that is too long to allow the panels to come together? I haven't assembled a Nexstar so I don't have direct experience with one.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:53 PM
jeffie8696

They are sending me a new joiner.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I remember it being a challenge. Don't they say something about that in the manual? Sounds familiar, but my imagination appears once in a while.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:12 PM
jeffie8696

Idont see anything about it being a problem in the manual.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:00 PM
bikerbc

Mine slid together fine but I had a terrible time trying to get it onto the plane the first time ...I had to sharpen the bolt and elongate the hole...After it has been on once it is fine though...Is the steel wing joiner rod what is stoping it? Maybe to long or somthing in the wing hanging up???Take the rod out and try to see if the wing goes together...
Old 04-29-2012, 12:08 PM
jeffie8696

I will try that Thanks.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:24 AM
bikerbc

Let me know if you have any sucess
Old 05-15-2012, 07:49 PM
jeffie8696

Update. The new wing joiner helped but the hold down bolt had to be sharpened and the hole elongated to fit. Iguess I expect more than this from GP. Beautiful looking plane otherwise.
Oh and the holes for the pushrods where they exited the fuse at the rear had to be elongated slightly because of drag issues.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:59 PM
bikerbc

I rember that on mine too...The Push rods were a bit tight at first... Glad you got your wing sorted out...You will have lots of fun with that plane , at least I did with mine..What motor are you using? I used an OS46 and it was a perfect match...Watch the cross wind take offs. They can be a bit hairy...Also it likes to drag its tail in the turns so to make a nice looking turn you need to use your rudder. Thats okay because it a good thing to learn to use your rudder anyway...The sooner you get rid of the crap on the wings the better...It flys better with out that stuff. Plus the auto pilot thing is nothing but a problem fighting you to fly. I would ditch it rite off the bat...If you dont know how to fly better to get an instructor to buddy box you for a few flights and if you do know how to fly you dont need it anyway ...Good luck... Keep us posted please
Old 05-16-2012, 08:25 PM
jeffie8696

Iam an experienced pilot, this is my sons plane. I have removed the flight aids he will be fine with a clean airframe.
He has a lot of talent and some stick time with one of my other planes.
I too am thinking of using an OS46, probably and FXI will pick up from my buddy Bruce Fischer at brucercengines.com, Ihave gotten several from him and they were all awesome, he tests all his engines before selling them.
The engine mount restricts the number of engines you are able to use with the vibration isolators, my Irvines wont slip in or Icould use my well worn 46 on it.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:49 AM
jeffie8696

We ended up using a really sweet Thunder Tiger 46 Pro on the Nexstar (the 46 FX Ichose had a liner problem, go figure, and Bruce was great about standing behind it).
It went together without too much hassle despite the stock mount giving me a few fits.
It took 1.5 OZ of lead to balance it, wish it hadnt but it is still a pretty light airplane for its size. Cant wait to see how it performs with just a 46, seems like a really big plane for such a small engine, but then again I have been flying my GP Escapade a lot and its a tiny plane with a big engine.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:32 PM
flyboy9994

I also thought this was too big of a plane for a .46 but I have an Evolution .46 in mine and it's just about perfect. Plenty of get up & go when I need it. Flies great and definitely serves the intended purpose. I have 20+ flights on mine and am really eyeballing that Pulse XT 60 I have on the build table!
Old 05-29-2012, 02:41 PM
jeffie8696

If this plane doesnt suffer from too many prop strikes Imay consider a big 4 stroke , then Iwould use a 12" prop. Ihate using a big prop on a tricycle plane since my landings usually suck pretty bad .

On my last 2 trainer type planes Iended up using 10" props until Iconverted the last one to a tail dragger (it died recently due to a radio failure).

Ibet my Enya 60 four stroke would be a great engine on this plane. Its a big heavy powerful 4S, if the ground clearance isnt an issue for a 12" prop.
Ido fly off grass a lot of the time and the local field is pretty rough. The next closest field is excellent and wouldnt be a problem except for the hour drive and resulting transportation costs.