Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

ARFS + Diluted Interest in this Hobby.

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

ARFS + Diluted Interest in this Hobby.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 09:54 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Part of the anti-ARF frustration may stem from the time and effort many have spent helping the ARF/RTF types, only to find that they soon vanish into ARF/RTF oblivion. Much has been said about the lack of time after all.

If someone shows up with something they built themselves it shows a commitment to acquire the knowledge and skill to enjoy and eventually contribute to the hobby.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:22 AM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who cares if they "vanish into ARF/RTF oblivion"!? They are enjoying model aviation, and contributing to your Local Hobby Shop a profit so your LHS can be around to help you order your Forest-In-A-Box, or finishing parts and products for your next build.

I know and see many scale model ARF enthusiast across the country and at my local flying sites. The pilots that succeed further into the hobby are the people that receive the needed help and warm welcome by people in the hobby that are willing to step up and offer help. People come and go in this hobby. IT IS THE FACT of any hobby. ARFs are not to blame for people loosing interest. More people are driven away by the negative people at the field. So don't be that negative crotchety old guy that likes to sit on his ass and watch the newcomer wreck his airplane because YOU DID NOT REACT AND HELP when you heard his engine is too lean or rich, or the poor model pilot fought for the last 45 minutes to get his engine to run and you know 9 times out of 10 that scenario leads to a crashed plane 20 feet past the end of the runway.

I believe being proactive to making sure those pilots get the help they need so they are safe,enjoy themselves, and feel welcomed at the field.

P.S. If you don't feel confident enough to help, ask one of your club mates to step up.

Last edited by TimJ; 08-01-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:48 AM
049flyer

TimJ -

You my friend are indeed a modeling saint.

Of course you are correct. It's easy to think that every new guy is like the one you explained something to 10 times and he still doesn't get it. We should help everyone but it sure is more enjoyable to help those that help themselves.

I wish I had your patience.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:59 AM
TimJ

I am defiantly not a modeling saint. But I do my best to help.

I say the same thing to you about patience and building. I just don't have that at this stage of my life. I did when I was a teen, and I know it will come back when I retire. I have several Scale Build up projects in different state of building, but it takes me far longer than it did when I was younger.

You are correct, not everyone will get it. Not much can be done. It's kind of like saving the kitten from the tree, only to find it the next day crushed in the street. I know that seems extreme.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:14 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With so many replies, you would think that this thread would be diluted by now ! Geeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzz, if you fellows have so much time to spend on the internet, wouldn't it be better spent building a " KIT "
Old 08-01-2014, 11:36 AM
049flyer

I can't speak for Tim but I'm stuck in a hotel room waiting, and I don't watch much TV! If I could have brought something to build I would have.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:08 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 049flyer
I can't speak for Tim but I'm stuck in a hotel room waiting, and I don't watch much TV! If I could have brought something to build I would have.
When I used to have a "traveling job" I always brought a 1 x 12 x 36 pine building board, basic building supplies including "pen vises" for drilling holes by hand. I didn't own a razor saw back then, so any cuts in hard wood or ply wood were done with hacksaw blades or a coping saw. Everything else was done with the old #11 Xacto blade. I used a standard steam iron to apply iron on film, it worked just fine. All this was done at those tiny tables that Motel 6 provided while watching whatever was on the Motel 6 provided "Boob Tube" that evening.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:54 PM
colmo-RCU

Do you need to make your own rod and flies to enjoy fishing? How about brewing your own beer? I personally like building about the same as flying, and I definitely like flying planes I build better than arfs, but that's just me. There are also the guys that build masterpieces and never fly them. So who's to judge who has more fun, or deserves more respect?
Old 08-01-2014, 03:25 PM
68goat
My Feedback: (40)

I think the most important thing is that people are still flying and enjoying model airplanes. Yeah, I'm one of those who have been doing this a long time. I used to build my aircraft from kits and really enjoyed it. As time went on I started to buy a few ARF's because there were types of airplanes available that I could get into the air quickly. I did this for a while, but within the past few years I have pretty much gone back to "old school". Now I'm building again and enjoying it more than ever. I like the fact that ARF's are drawing more people into our hobby and in turn they get a chance to see what kit built aircraft can look like and how well they can fly. Believe me, out of the masses of people who are being introduced to this great hobby/sport, there will be those who will see and admire kit and scratch built planes. These will be the builders of the future. So if it takes ARF's to get them interested, it's ok, because I know some of them will become fine builders.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:29 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now i scratch build bigger planes and have won a few arfs in contests so iam not a die hard i guess . I save my scratch built planes and give up to the flying gremlins the couple foam electrict arfs i own as to save my bigger scratch built ones. Iam a die hard builder but i have chilled my thoughts on what others fly around me . I enjoy the questions and looks from other flyers when i pull one of my builds out of my van and really like when they ask where they can buy one ! lmao After being a master carpenter for 30 years i have had many young guys who wanted to make it as a good carpenter / builder but many of them just could not hack it and wondered away soon. I feel building kits or scratch building is the same way a little and its not for every one. The guys who say they dont have time or its cheaper to just buy one built will never feel like i do looking at a finished build or a couple million dollar house i just finished building. I use to feel sorry in a way for them but i have now come to the point in my old age where i dont care if they show up to a warbird meet with a VERY shiney warbird or to the lake to fly along with 20 other arf cubs on floats. I do help anyone who wants to learn to build and i was a flight instructor for 20 plus years in two different clubs so i think about helping to keep the building part of our great hobby going now and dont sweat what anyone flys.I helped a guy(Robert) and his son in CA scratch build a Tide Water pronto surpreme and we have never met in person .I built my pronto first and sent pictures of it to him and replied to many questions and he did well and is still scratch building and flying also. He sent me this last week of him his son and his father all flying on vaction in the Origon mountains . To me this is what i like to do now and think about in the short time i have left and dont care if guys fly ARFS .:-) joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	king consulting.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	2019250  

Last edited by joebahl; 08-01-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:40 PM
B Shipp
My Feedback: (13)

Gone

Last edited by B Shipp; 08-01-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:46 PM
joebahl

Originally Posted by B Shipp
Found this on the urban dictionary.

crotchety
An adjective used to describe an old person. More specifically, someone who seems to hate life in their "golden years" and feels the need to take it out on others. These are the people that should be sent into the surface of the sun.
Look at that crotchety old b**tard! He sure is mean!

This will get me kicked out of here!
Naaaa i will admit iam old and crotchety and i dont care if others think of me that way either ! Keeps them away from me and asking me if i can fix their arf :-) lmao
Old 08-01-2014, 08:05 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skylark-flier

...Don't tell me you don't have the time. It's a cop-out. The simple fact is that you don't have the incentive. If you did, you'd find the time.
Thank you for the guilt trip...and here all along I thought I just didn't have the time.

Kurt
Old 08-01-2014, 08:37 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by TomCrump
If accumulation is your goal, that's great.

Your statement pretty much sums up the ARF point of view. Buying, instead of doing.

There's nothing wrong with that, but it summerizes the differences in philosophy between builders and ARFers.

I have ARFs. Don't get me wrong. They have their place. I like the emotional dis-attachement. I have no sweat equity in them. I can go out and fly the heck out of them without thinking about how much time, effort, and soul I had to put into it.
You are right about it being a different philosophy, I respect that for some people building is as much a part of this hobby as flying but that is not the case for everybody. I know lots of real pilots that have no interest in being aircraft engineers, and vice versa.

Thats the beauty of this hobby. Enough diversity to keep everybody happy.

Last edited by Rob2160; 08-01-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:06 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

I lost interest because women are prettier than ARF's. Actually, women are pretier than any aspect of this hobby.

Do you see anything else but a woman in this picture?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	A-10.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	2019333  
Old 08-02-2014, 04:09 AM
CafeenMan

The Warthog will cost you less and give you way fewer problems.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:39 AM
joebahl

Originally Posted by CafeenMan
The Warthog will cost you less and give you way fewer problems.
Amen brother ! I have read in this thread many times about building being a choice and i truly believe this ,if you want or love to build your own plane you can always make some time to do so. Guys who build their own motorcycles or cars make time for it because they like to get away in their garage to tinker or in our case the workshop to build. To me it was just nice when the kids were older to go to my basment and build with no tv or loud kids after a rough day at work. joe

Last edited by joebahl; 08-02-2014 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:03 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Airplanes400
I lost interest because women are prettier than ARF's. Actually, women are pretier than any aspect of this hobby.

Do you see anything else but a woman in this picture?
Still has her clothes on ! Don't see much of anything else except airplanes !
Old 08-02-2014, 10:06 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Yes sir, I remember this one from Best In the West a few years ago, I think that was Joe's Warthog, too bad I can't retrieve the ones I got from Florida jets from a few years ago, smoking hot Red Bull girls on a Viper jet.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:15 AM
Mr.foambuilder
My Feedback: (1)

Holy Crap!!! My Wife Sandy and I have been building and flying for over 55 years together. We have MAYBE 4 arfs in the house, and the rest of the 60+ planes are either a kit build, or built from plans, or imagination. LOL Sandy just finished a Stephens Aero plane, and I have its twin to build. You want a real challenge, do as I am, and go fly a Single Channel rudder only plane. I am about to do it, and next is as set of reeds. Do what turns you on, but enjoy the hobby or get out of the way so that the rest of us may. 77 years old, hard of hearing, half blind and still having a good time. Roy AMA# 8045/CD Been here since dirt. ps: most of my early planes were red, painted from the blood caused by razor blade cuts. LOL
Old 08-02-2014, 12:04 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you don't bleed while building a kit.....the plane will NOT fly correctly - in fact it will probably crash on the first flight!!!!
Old 08-02-2014, 12:55 PM
[email protected]

everyone has a excuse for something ive built from 1940 to date and now i dont have much room in a mobile home>>
Old 08-02-2014, 01:28 PM
Mr.foambuilder

Originally Posted by tailskid
If you don't bleed while building a kit.....the plane will NOT fly correctly - in fact it will probably crash on the first flight!!!!
You got that right TS. Man I miss the smell of Ambroid glue and Dope. Legal highs while learning to build. LOLOL WOOOOHOOO
Old 08-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Mr.foambuilder

Originally Posted by [email protected]
everyone has a excuse for something ive built from 1940 to date and now i dont have much room in a mobile home>>
Ya gotta get your priorities in line and allocate the required space for the hobby. Sandy and I lived in a 30' rv when we got married, and I found room to build in my lap. Things had to go in the closet after session. Easy as pie.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:42 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

How about for those of us who work 50-60 hours a week 6-7 days a week? Are we just lazy and have no pride in anything too? Not all of us can spend days upon days building. I used to love building, but now if I spent time building there would be little if any flying. Nice generalization though....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.