Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

If you own an ABS plane/have knowledge please reply

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

If you own an ABS plane/have knowledge please reply

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 11:34 PM
Throttle Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you own an ABS plane/have knowledge please reply

I decided on the Top Fight Cessna. Looks great, has floats, supposedly flies well, and looks like my favorite plane. Spoke with some more experienced builders/flyers at the field today, and all they had to say was ABS is junk. Cannot be fix in the event of a crash, and even if it never crashes, vibrations from the engine will cause cracks that cannot be repaired. Are these gentlemen (who I am the first to admit know more than I do) pushing there prsonal preference for building a wood model or a wood arf on Me? Or are these valid points? I have done some research since our conversation and have found ref to epoxies, c-a glue, an even pvc glue as possible solution to damage. Am I about too spend my hard earned money on junk? Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks for the board guys and gals, such an advanced learning curve when we all work together!
Old 11-24-2003, 12:06 AM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: If you own an ABS plane/have knowledge please reply

The ABS cowl can be reinforced at the screw holes by using Ca hinge material or glass cloth
and glue a small square patch to the inside with Ca glue.
If the plane noses over or in, the ABS will tear/split and wrinkle. It does make it hard to patch
but not impossible.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:17 AM
michpittsman
My Feedback: (11)

The TF Cessna is a wood kit with some abs parts. You can repair abs by taking some scrap abs shavings and dissolving them in acetone, which is the solvent for abs, and making a putty to attach reinforcement to the damaged area. Or buy a glass cowl. Somebody must make one. There is a booming market for making glass cowls for airplanes that come with abs. Wonder why?
Old 11-24-2003, 08:29 AM
vinnie
My Feedback: (1)

See if this interests you.

http://www.falcon-trading.com/product.cfm?prodid=7
Old 11-24-2003, 10:19 PM
builder jim

YES ABS CAN BE REPAIRED, IF CRACKED ,DRILL SMALL HOLE TA THE END OF THE CRACK THIS STOPS THE CRACK FROM GOING FURTHER. IF PIECE IS MISSING CLEAN INSIDE USE TAPE ON THE OUT SIDE SHAPING TO THE SHAPE CUT A PIECE OF FIBERGLASS CLOTH BIGGER THAN THE AREA AND CA LEAVE DRY FOR AWHILE SAND THE OUTSIDE TO RUFFIN UP THE AREA AND PICK UP SOME EVERGREEN BODY GLAZE AT YOUR AREA BODT SHOP SUPPLY THIS IS GREAT STUFF, COMES IN A CAN WITH A TUBE OF HARDNER, DRIES FAST EASY TO SAND,PRIME AND PAINT. ALSO FIBERCLASICS HAS YOUR COWL AND OTHER PARTS YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN , THIS SYSTEM WORKS VERY WELL ON THEM ALSO. BEEN DOING REPAIRS THIS WAY FOR MANY YEARS. REGUARDS BUILDER JIM
Old 11-25-2003, 02:16 AM
p39
My Feedback: (5)

I use 3/4 oz glass cloth on the inside of the cowl... sometimes put on with thin ca.... or very carefully plastic cement- general purpose found in the plumbing part of any hardware store. (the can with the cloth ball applicator) Just use it sparingly to adhere the glass cloth and use ventilation. Then you can also use ca hinges over the screw holes. I've had cowles go 5 seasons with no splitting...
Old 11-25-2003, 03:15 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: vinnie

See if this interests you.

http://www.falcon-trading.com/product.cfm?prodid=7
I seen those at last years WRAM show and looking up close it looked like a POS and even in the vidio they had playing it did not look like it flew too well either.