Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GeeBee ARF power

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GeeBee ARF power

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 06:37 PM
Me-109K4
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GeeBee ARF power

I just got the Great Planes Gee Bee Racer ARF today. I'm trying to choose a powerplant, but I'm an indecisive person at times. I'm definitely going four stroke, and have been considering a Saito 120 or a YS 110. Has anyone had any experience with this plane? I'm just looking for some input, thoughts, or suggestions on a good engine for this airplane.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:23 PM
autoguns

Default RE: GeeBee ARF power

From the two choices YS 110 fz ...Hands down,,...Good luck ...JW
Old 02-05-2004, 10:29 PM
Pjtg0707

OS120 Surpass or a very well broken in Saito 155.

This plane has very high wingloading. Unless you are virtually 100% sure you won't flame out with YS or any other engines that is well broken in, I'd suggest you go with OS's reliability.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:32 PM
pdansalvish
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I getting ready to start mine this weekend. I have a brand new Satio 120 for power. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:38 PM
BULL-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Not sure if you guys saw but Robart has come out with a set of Struts for the Gee Bee... I have a KMP version and only baught that over the Great Planes because I got a great deal on it. I think the quality and workmenship of the Great planes Gee Bee is better. I compared them side by side after I got mine. Mine is bigger, but wish i had the Great Planes Gee Bee. Everyone I have talked to says the plane is great in the air...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11071.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	97855  
Old 02-06-2004, 10:50 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Like autoguns, I would go with the YS 110FZ. It puts out more power than both the Saito 120 and the OS 120. I have three YS 110's and haven't had a single flame out, even when each one was new. On the other hand, I already had one flame out with my OS 120, which caused significant damage to the plane.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:32 PM
Me-109K4
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for all your help guys. I've endured a verbal onslaught about how great YS is from my father, you'd think he was making a commision. Anyway, I found a great deal on the YS 110 at Chief Aircraft for $335.95 including shipping, so it seems the choice is clear. I've ordered a set of those robarts too. I had to call consumer support also, my Gee Bee arrived with most of the foam cradle missing. They were very friendly and are sending me a new cradle for free.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:25 AM
Kestrel

My GP Gee Bee arrived wednesday......didn't get around to unpacking and inspecting it till the next day...everything was great until I unpacked the fuse.... discovered a bad crack in the fiberglass all around the tail section up to the back of the cockpit. called GP and they are sending a replacement. Great looking ARF otherwise. You can stick your head inside the fuse..its huge. I can't wait to assemble it. I'm going to put a fresh Saito 150 in the nose. Is anyone using Hi tork servos in their plane or are you using standards as called for in the manual???
Old 02-08-2004, 10:37 AM
pdansalvish
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

On my Gee Bee the stab is extemely loose. Not sure of the best way to approach to fix it. Do I mount in the center and add supports to the top and bottom. Push the stab to the top and add supports to the bottom.

Also, I bought the Robart Sturts for it. They add 9 oz of additional weight.

Dave
Old 02-15-2004, 10:22 PM
flyrcplanes

Read the review in RC Report on the Gee Bee. Dick talks about the stab slot being too big and gives a reccommendation on how to fix it. Says he loves the way it flys. He has a Saito 150 in it and says it slows down pretty good on landing for the wing loading.