Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 10:01 PM
Desert Toad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

I hear that Frag!

I have owned my bear for a year and a half, and only flow it 4 times due to failures of one sort or another - and the ratio of time flying to time fixing is very large.

In the meantime I built an OMP Edge in a week, flew the heck out of it, lost it due to battery failure, and then built an OMP Kantana, and I've been flying the heck out of it. Both were very much ARF, and built very well and included great hardware.

Bottom line: I'm so sick and tired of looking at and working on the dang RB, I've given up.

And I will NEVER buy another TT product again. Not that they care, seems their service and support is nonexistant.

DT
Old 03-16-2006, 08:08 AM
-Stevo-

ORIGINAL: Desert Toad

and the ratio of time flying to time fixing is very large.

DT
HEY, maybe the TT Rare Bear IS scale after all
Old 03-16-2006, 10:15 AM
rare_bear
My Feedback: (1)

kinda ironic, isn't it?
Old 03-16-2006, 10:31 AM
p51mech38
My Feedback: (3)

Now that is the truth for sure. 1 hour flight = 20 hours of maintenance. BTW she comes out of her cave in a few weeks. I will post flight times in the future. The JR. in my title MAY disappear too!!!
Old 03-16-2006, 12:54 PM
cbader

Okay, now that I have read the entire thread - man that took a long time - I am ready to build my Bear. I have had this in the box for over a year now and with all the tips from you guys I am ready to start. I did go back to the hobby store that I got the Bear from and they got me a new horizontal stab. Hope this works.

I will keep everyone updated on progress.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:57 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any more mods other than the leading edge? Or would you have to kill me if you told me?

Don
RB Fan Sponsor

ORIGINAL: Rare Bear Mech

Now that is the truth for sure. 1 hour flight = 20 hours of maintenance. BTW she comes out of her cave in a few weeks. I will post flight times in the future. The JR. in my title MAY disappear too!!!
Old 03-16-2006, 06:24 PM
Frag

cbader, you need to post results after you build with the upgraded stabs. That would be great information to have whether it really helps or not...
Old 03-16-2006, 09:40 PM
-Stevo-

RBM, you wouldn't happen to know if Ron B. will be getting some time in the Bear come June at PRS would you? With Tunica falling through I just might make the trip out to give John Parker a hand with Blue Thunder and it sure would be nice to see the Bear strutting her stuff [8D]
Old 03-16-2006, 09:50 PM
p51mech38

Heck no Don your a fan sponsor. Without you guys there would be no Bear. I can tell you that a new engine with "new school stuff" is being built. Paint and airframe clean-up are also in the works. We will also be getting another unlimited at Stead. Precious Metal will now be based at Stead because it's owner (Ron Bucceralli) is the Bear's new pilot. This also means that I will not have to go to Florida to do the next round of mods on that airplane. Looking to make PM into the next gold winner... after the Bear retires of course.
ORIGINAL: hattend

Any more mods other than the leading edge? Or would you have to kill me if you told me?

Don
RB Fan Sponsor

Old 03-16-2006, 09:57 PM
p51mech38

Ron is the only pilot that will see time in the Bear from now on. He will be at PRS in both airplanes!!! As much as we would like to see Lyle give it another run(because that 72 year old man is still 25 in the cockpit), but the insurance companies will never see it that way. BTW if we win this year it will be #10.
ORIGINAL: Stevo-RCU

RBM, you wouldn't happen to know if Ron B. will be getting some time in the Bear come June at PRS would you? With Tunica falling through I just might make the trip out to give John Parker a hand with Blue Thunder and it sure would be nice to see the Bear strutting her stuff [8D]
Old 03-17-2006, 02:37 PM
hattend

Cool, so PM and RB will be teammates. That's cool, although round engines rule!

If I had to pick a back-up "I Love" plane for Rare Bear, it would be Precious Metal or Big Boss Man!

hehehehe

Don
Old 03-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Easystern

Hey Rare Bear Mech...

thanks for that info of the real one, if i had 1000 $ left i would spend it as a gold sponsor to run that thing .
it's very nice that we all get some close information on that nice and fast plane and i am very happy about that.

but we all have to think about the TT Bear, dont let this nice plane die its one of my favorite planes and if the tail fails or the retracts get ripped out, for me it's not time to give up !!!
I will use full material Carbon fiber rods and i will use aditional carbonfiber rowings in the fuse and in the wings to get the demon out of that nice plane.

keep on
Old 03-17-2006, 08:15 PM
p51mech38

You know I have been doing some research. I THINK that this may be more a matter of aerodynamics. There are only a few Beact R/C models out there. Two that I know of have tail issuses of the same nature. I know that a full size Bearcat had tail issuses of the same nature because of how the tail is in relation to the wing. Compounded by a stab that may be a little weak. It would turn a small stab problem into a huge one IMO.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:24 PM
Desert Toad

And compound that with the fact that most RB models are overpowered and would be close the sound barrier in scale speeds....

Thanks for the info on the real Bear - we'll be there with the Aviation Classics crew again, and good to hear Ron with be at the controls - he's about the only pilot qualified besides John. I know he was a bit dissapointed not flying her last year, then RARA said he was too late to register PM - poor dude!

DT

You know I have been doing some research. I THINK that this may be more a matter of aerodynamics. There are only a few Beact R/C models out there. Two that I know of have tail issuses of the same nature. I know that a full size Bearcat had tail issuses of the same nature because of how the tail is in relation to the wing. Compounded by a stab that may be a little weak. It would turn a small stab problem into a huge one IMO.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:53 PM
rare_bear

gold race, 2005:

click [link=http://missa-racing.com/UnlimitedGoldRace2005.wmv]here[/link]
Old 03-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Easystern

rare bear,
thank's for the very nice video of that race
Old 03-21-2006, 09:37 PM
Todd Jackson
My Feedback: (6)

Also I would like to say thanks Rare Bear for the video very nice.I have enjoyed keeping up with the bear and flying my Ziroli Bearcat for about 15 years until I retired her in 2001 dew to about 1000 flights or so and worried about integrity in the glue joints.I do have a new one in the makes and hope it flys as well as the first.. Good luck in 2006 Todd Jackson
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58174.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	430636  
Old 03-22-2006, 08:15 PM
rare_bear

no problemo - just using google to find reno video clips.

will you be doing a rare bear theme to a ziroli anytime down the road?
out at reno last year, at the bear cave, someone was showing off his picture of one. it may have been the cactus aviation model but he painted it in the current color scheme.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:21 AM
BASHER
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great vid! well my tt rb is all done and is fitted with a st-2300 with the pitts style muffler,the new kits have the horizontal upgrade and are solid as a rock,i do see where excesive speeds can induce flutter with the giant elevators,this is where i'll be keeping an eye on on the first few flights,if theres even a slight inclination of flutter i will be cutting them down,as far as the build went i built perplans with a few mods,1st was went to 4-40 on all rods, 2nd was used a hs metal gear 104in.oz.torque servo for the ele.fitted in the rear with about a 3in.connecting rod,3rd was replaced the antirotation dows with 4-40 blind nuts and bolts front and rear,4th was linked a 8oz. tank on top of the factory tank to keep my feed to the carb at a close centerline instead of relying on sucking fuel up hill,and to my amazement i still have to add 15oz. of ballast to achieve c-o-g[X(]i'll post pics
Old 03-23-2006, 02:08 PM
rare_bear

you might also like this one... . . . . .

click [link=http://www.aafo.com/vid/rare_bear_flight/rarebearflight.mpg]here[/link]

(if the link works that is ???)

www.rarebear.com
Old 03-23-2006, 07:54 PM
p51mech38

ORIGINAL: rare_bear

no problemo - just using google to find reno video clips.

will you be doing a rare bear theme to a ziroli anytime down the road?
out at reno last year, at the bear cave, someone was showing off his picture of one. it may have been the cactus aviation model but he painted it in the current color scheme.
That was Charlie from Tuna Graphics I think. He does all of the t-shirts, sponsor decals and whatnot. Either that or Ray Din.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:06 PM
rare_bear

well, from the pictures he was showing, i sure was drooling - hehehehehehe - i will have to stop by the bear cave when you guys are nice n' relaxed (like right before race when the last thing to do is to fill up the n2o tanks and snap on the cowlings) and shout out "hey, who's that rear bear mechanic who posts on rcuniverse"

p.s. i forgot her name - can you tell me who took on sharon's duties to maintain the fan sponsorship? i need to make contact.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:54 PM
hattend

Chris Rakestraw

Probably get ahold of her at [email protected]

Don

http://www.rarebear.com/bearfacts/changes_2005.asp

ORIGINAL: rare_bear

well, from the pictures he was showing, i sure was drooling - hehehehehehe - i will have to stop by the bear cave when you guys are nice n' relaxed (like right before race when the last thing to do is to fill up the n2o tanks and snap on the cowlings) and shout out "hey, who's that rear bear mechanic who posts on rcuniverse"

p.s. i forgot her name - can you tell me who took on sharon's duties to maintain the fan sponsorship? i need to make contact.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:47 PM
rare_bear

thank you
Old 03-25-2006, 06:40 AM
BASHER
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pics of me and a buds rb,his is sporting a saito-1.50 his less rx,batt and fuel weighs in at a lil over 9lb.s[X(]mine with the st-2300 and 8oz. hopper tank less fuel comes in at about 10.5lbs.as far as the balance issue goes they do'nt give you a c-o-g range just one spot to balance from,i've since replaced my rx batt with a 6.0v nimh 3000mah batt that weighs 11oz. and by moving my cog back a 1/4in. i achieve spot on balance,so i'm assuming you can have a 1in. back from cog as a good range
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91039.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	432688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52104.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	432689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty63974.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	432690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw64161.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	432691  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.