Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 06:43 PM
p51mech38
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Might want to stop by PM first. I have no Idea where Ron and Lyle are going to put me. I will more than likely be over at PM race week. You can see my 1/4 scale PM that I'm building right now. Can't miss me I'm 20 years younger than most of the guys. That's me and my wife Tova holding a bit of history.
ORIGINAL: rare_bear

well, from the pictures he was showing, i sure was drooling - hehehehehehe - i will have to stop by the bear cave when you guys are nice n' relaxed (like right before race when the last thing to do is to fill up the n2o tanks and snap on the cowlings) and shout out "hey, who's that rear bear mechanic who posts on rcuniverse"

p.s. i forgot her name - can you tell me who took on sharon's duties to maintain the fan sponsorship? i need to make contact.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45077.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	465.8 KB
ID:	433001  
Old 04-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Rbeav533

Well I finally got around to finishing the repairs (new retract mounts) on my RB and had decent weather this past Sunday. I flew the plane 3 times without incident, the 2nd and 3rd flights included several reverse cuban-8s and descents without letting up on the throttle. Not so much as a problem, no flutter, tail stayed on, etc.

During my last flights several months ago, the CG was set per the manual and I felt the plane was a bit too neutral in pitch. It wasn't overly sensitive, just tended to wander in pitch. This time I set the CG using the rear of the wheelwells as the reference point and with a tendancy to nose over vs staying in any pitch attitude I set the plane. Much better control feel in pitch. In addition to the slight increase in nose weight, I had changed the firewall downthrust and right thrust. Initially I set the downthrust to 1-1/2 degrees down and right thrust at 1 degree right. In the various test flights I ended up with with approximately 3 degrees of down thrust and 1 degree. I'll try to remember to measure the actual values and post them later.

My overall impression, I'm very pleased with the flight performance now that I have the RB all sorted. Too bad TT and Ace didn't stand behind the product. I probably won't ever buy anything from either vendor going forward.

FWIW: My LHS has not ordered another RB since I purchased mine from him and informed him of the inflight failures and difficulties others were having with this kit. Just another illustration that if a company doesn't stand by their product they can expect to lose sales.

Rich

Old 04-13-2006, 01:14 AM
Easystern

Can't miss me I'm 20 years younger than most of the guys. That's me and my wife Tova holding a bit of history.
rare bear mech...

WOW !! nice plane, nice girl you are a lucky guy

Well I finally got around to finishing the repairs (new retract mounts)
rbeav533...

how did you build the retract mounts ? and please post the new firewall downthrust
my bear is still grounded and waiting for maiden flight and i will build it as strong as posible for the saito180 and lots of waight at landing on our grass field.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:52 AM
Rbeav533

Easystern,

Here are a few pics I took of the new retract mounts I designed for my TT RB. The ribs were produced using tracings of the original ribs. I widened the retract mount fore/aft and designed the ribs to capture the retract mounting plate which prevents it from shearing out when landing on grass fields.

The pencil lines in the picture of the retract / wheelwell area are the original locations of the factory 1/8" lite ply ribs. The new retract mounting plate was expoxied into the wing with a long setting epoxy mixed with BVM Mill Fiber. The new ribs are simply butt glued the the spar shear webbing, the leading edge, and the upper wing skin. I used my finger to make a nice clean fillet of the epoxy/millfiber mix around all the joints.

My club field is grass and the new mounts have held up to one rollout into the rough stuff and two subsequent landings afterwards proved the structural integrity of the design.

I'll post the downthrust and right thrust numbers when I get a chance to measure them.

Rich

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/galleryCat.cfm?memberID=136718]Rare Bear Mods[/link]
Old 04-15-2006, 03:26 PM
Easystern

Rbeav533...

thanks very much for the pics now i got an idear how to start on that mod, ARF ??? no way but for me it dosnt matter i love my bear (beer)
happy eastern
Old 04-15-2006, 06:17 PM
Frag

I'm currently in the process of my last mod prior to the maiden flight. I am replacing the stock elevator pushrod assembly and I'm installing a D.E.P.S. elevator control system from Central Hobbies. It is carbon fiber pushrods inside plastic guide sleeves with titanium ends. You attach these plastic guide sleeves inside the fuse with bracing balsa to make everything very stiff and stable. The stock pushrod system shook like mad and looked quite fragile when I've been breaking inmy Saito 1.80 in the plane (on the ground). If the plane doesn't fly well and hold together after all I've done to this "arf" then I know it wasn't me at fault. I can't do anymore!! I need to fly it someday [sm=stupid.gif]!
Old 04-15-2006, 09:40 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check this out:

Click here to watch Rare-Bear-83
Old 04-17-2006, 05:46 PM
bignasdy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

well boys....I have finaly test run the engine. It runs fine with that weird tank setup.......go figure..........this setup goes against everything I ever knew about good tank installation.
I started completing this plane Christmas day and cant beleive how long Ive had to work on it.
I noticed a few vibration issues and I'll have to brace that plywood crutch inside to stop the tail from shaking.
Ive done the tail mods yall suggested instead of building a new tail.
Had to raise the right wing tube 1/4 inch to make it parelell to the horizontal.
Had to ditch the rudder cable system due to the crappy hardware that broke. Using two nyrods for rudder and tailgear instead.
I made a pin and latch system for the canopy and it works good. I did use three screws for the under hatch at the tailwheel.
I replaced the hardware that wouldnt thread into one another like designed to do.
The canopy stickers are too small so I will be repainting the frame.
All I have to do is go get a needle valve o-ring for the supertigre, and secure the battery better, and brace the nyrods in the middle of the fuse. Paint the canopy and apply the decals and I'll be ready to go crash.
I too , will not purchase anything else from ace since the guy acted like Im a dummy on the phone, and skirted the issue of quality.
This company really dont care about us or airplanes. The rarebear shoulda been labeled: experienced builder/fabricator required.
So...that said, I wonder how the pig will fly?
I dont have a scale at the moment, but I can say I only added 9 oz of weight to the nose, directly on top of the battery box, to ballance where the plan calls.
I will probly fly it this week, but Im not sure I want to, this soon. I might want to look at the finished product for awhile........Ive seen it enough in peices....LOL
Good lucks fellas.
d
Old 04-17-2006, 08:14 PM
Frag

Kmot is that your RB?

bignasdy good luck with everything, I hope she holds together!
Old 04-17-2006, 11:41 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No, it isn't. I just filmed it flying at Sepulveda Basin last Saturday.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:15 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

D,

just make sure you take a lot of pics before the maiden & good luck!

speaking of pics, could you post some pics of you mods? i would like to see you canopy install

thanks,
V.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:30 AM
bignasdy

OKAY HERES SOME PICS. I;ll upload and then edit in some text.
The first one is the canopy installed.
2: front pins. The pins are simply music rod glued into 3/8 stock. Its then epolied to the canopy. The pins can be bent for fit. The holes the pins go into are elongated at the center of the fuse, and the rear, because the front pins go in first and the rear is lowered into position.. I added cut fiberglass to all epoxy.
3: is entire canopy pins and latch catch, no.it aint beatiful.
4:the latch itsself inside, attached to turtledeck with glass reenforced epoxy.Simple ink-pen sping design.
5: the latch as seen from outside the plane...... without the canopy.
6:wing tube mod. had to raise the hole and scab ply on the bottom....Gawd...what junk. Also note the hole for the 1/4 -20 bolt that holds the wing halves on.
7:I sealed the control surfaces to reduce the chance of flutter.
I do that to all my planes.
8: pushrods... oops wrong ones....next pic, 9: is rudder pushrods. In this pic you see a blue thing at the top right........thats a feather micro servo that will work the gear doors. One per side. I built the doors and worked out the mecanics, but I aint painting and installing til I see if it flies right.
Hope that helps.
Does anyone know what the hook like protrusions fron the center bulkhead are for? I have no Idea, and thought maybe it was upside down but its as per manual....???????
d

Name:	Vs55702.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	447255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97319.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	447256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37595.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	447257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd88146.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	447258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al71504.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	447259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eu22486.jpg
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	447260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mo15822.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	447261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61822.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	447262  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38749.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	447263  
Old 04-18-2006, 11:59 AM
vasek

great pics![sm=thumbup.gif]

dont worry about the inside of the plane> the outside of your canopy intall looks A1! very clever install, it looks 100% better than the srews [:'(]

when you're ready, let us see the gear doors...

thanks,
V.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:01 AM
[email protected]

Hi all!

Everybody knows if the new Rare Bears in stock comes with the landing mounting plates properly reinforced from factory? I've just heard some rumors but nothing surely (not confirmed). If it was true, it would means that Thunder Tiger is further improving its design, what together with the reinforcement of the new horizontal stabs, would be a very nice news!

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Mike
Old 04-20-2006, 04:14 AM
Easystern

Everybody knows if the new Rare Bears in stock comes with the landing mounting plates properly reinforced from factory
i sold my old tt kit in the states and i will get the new tt kit here in germany next week ,it comes from tt europe and will be latest production .
i will post some pics of the parts would be intersesting if they had changed the landing mounting to.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:16 PM
[email protected]

Ok Easystren,

If you post some pictures of the new Rare Bears will be great.

Regards,

Mike
Old 04-23-2006, 05:40 AM
Easystern

here is the new 2006 bear

pic of the litle box with the stronger stab and carbon fiber rods and instruction, the landing mounting look the same to me ? but i have to look at my old kit and its in the states. maybe you can see a difference ?,rest in the box is the same .

the look and appearance of the bigger carbon fibre material look strange to me ,also from the wing.
i think i will change this to a european or us carbon fibre brand/manufacturer, would say its more trustfully with our own product on this important places.

Name:	Qo39323.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	449910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19509.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	449911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10526.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	449912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45833.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	449913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs96495.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	449914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yp94141.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	449915  
Old 04-23-2006, 07:37 PM
Pazz

I just purchased my RB in London and as far as i can tell from your pics it is still the same desighn.But stranglely there was no addendum added.So as to the rumors i will still do the mods.So i shall be the first at our club to fly one.
color=#0000FF][/color][font="Times New Roman"][/font]
Old 04-24-2006, 12:49 AM
vasek

Pazz, where did you buy it in Lonon? how much are the RB's there?
Old 04-24-2006, 04:08 AM
Pazz

Hi Vazek,I got it from My Hobbies in Leytonstone and they go for +-£200.00
Old 04-26-2006, 03:24 PM
bignasdy

okay here it is
Old 04-26-2006, 04:32 PM
Easystern

Bignasdy....
dont care , this **** happend to me also couple of times , browser got f.. or the back bottom got problems.i was pissed also about this **** computer crap ....... since this happend couple of times i copy/paste this before i leave the page to have it storred.

hope everything was fine with your bear and she is still ok
Old 04-26-2006, 04:58 PM
Pazz

I finished the tail feathers looks likea puzzle but should not fall off.Found some very chunky mechanical retracts that will do the job,At least a £130.00 saving .And i replaced the quick links with JP ones.Also does anyone know what 2 bladed prop will work?I was thinking in the line of 16x10 or 15x15....
Thanks
Old 04-26-2006, 05:36 PM
bignasdy

Okay Im done bein a baby.....
okay heres the scoop.
It was 2pm , 72 degrees,winds north 0 to 10 mph.
last night I couldnt get it to run right with the cowl, so i removed it for the first flight.
The plane tracked pretty, but the short coupling was definatly noticable. A little elevator after the tail came up and off she went. Now I aint one to be too ....typical, but the plane required zero trim input, and tracked like it was on rails, although it was a tad tail heavy without the cowl, it was very sensitive and i like that.
The low rates were more than enough, and INMO, a good 61 would be perfect for the plane. Its way too lightly built for the supertigre91, and the three blade prop,. This combo running super rich pulled straight up til it was a dot. I didnt do any spins but did rolls and loops and it even looped straight. Go figure????
I was coasting in when I let it get too slow, and I should have been on the throttle. As I ran out of elevator, it fell like a brick about 3 feet. Left leg mount broke. Thats it. Nice flying plane and Il probly put my ole MDS 78 ( everyone hates mds but me) in there and that will be a great weekend flyer.
Btw the retracts worked flawlessly, and the stupid tank setup even works good.
Im gonna glass the gear legs in and it will be fine. I hated cutting a cooling vent in the cowl but i wanna fly the plane. The only inproovement I can think of would be three more bulkheads in the fuse, an aluminum cowl,better quality hardware,and plywood ,well doors, also inner doors.
Yall dont put too much power up front and it will still be fast. I didnt do any full throttle low passes, it was fast at 1/2 throttle, and I want to check it all out before I go too fast with it.
Dont fly it in coasting, power it through final and fly it in .
I cant wait til its finished. It weighed 12 pounds all up with fuel. After the wing mods, again, it will be 13 and still fly great.
So heres a pic er two

Name:	Db83858.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	451564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67507.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	451565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96994.jpg
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	451566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51094.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	451567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep87039.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	451568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iz37230.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	451569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fh82098.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	451570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ts63882.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	451571  

Old 04-27-2006, 01:10 AM
vasek

Congrats on the maiden, too bad for the stall but atl east the wing doesn't look too bad.

with the nvisible "hatch latch" your plane looks very clean! good job.

BTW i like the pilot's helmet, is that from a toy or something? & the pilot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.