Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Twist 3D

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Twist 3D

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 05:19 AM
dutchalltheway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 Twist 3D

T.W...so far I have been lucky...I have never broken a wingbolt, neither have I ever stripped one...Which is great if you think about it, since the wing of the T _ _ _ T is only secured by one wing bolt
Old 12-04-2006, 05:23 AM
dutchalltheway

ORIGINAL: Dorsil

Hey hey fellow twist pilots! unfortunatly my twist took a turn for a worst at the end of this season... well.. i shouldnt say turn.. should say.. miss performed hover in 20mph winds =o..

Engine survied as well as all the electronics.. =)

So i was wondering being im going to get a new arf.. maybe i should upgrade from the evol .46 to maybe somthing more? ive heard good things about the Saito 72.. but will i notice an upgrade? or better performance?

Im looking to get into the twist for Stunts and hovering.

thoughts opinions? =)
DORSIL!!..Let me tell ya...O.S.61FX....ask Downthrodden....I'll guarantee you, you will fall in love again!!
Old 12-04-2006, 08:43 AM
Downtrodden

A metal wing bolt might come loose and create another problem.........metal on metal movement, which has been proven to cause radio interference.

OS .61 FX Hands down. Great power, excellent fuel economy and all at a good price.

downtrodden
Old 12-04-2006, 09:25 AM
jwk72

Hey all,
I'm getting ready to maiden my T_ _ _ T 60 over Christmas, I'm heading a bit south for the holidays and figured I'd bring her along 'cause I'm getting a bit ansy. Guess it wasn't a good idea to get a new plane the end of the season[:@]! Anyways, you guys have been very helpful with encouragement to get out and do it, now I need to set up the CG. I have a Satio 100 up front and it was previously recommended to set it at 5 7/8 I believe. Now I have seen people talking about different CG's for different props. The hobby store told me to use a 14x6, is that good to start? Should I go with something different and if so, will it affect the CG?

For those of you who live in warmer climates, thank your lucky stars, here in Chicago, it's 5 degrees with almost a foot of snow on the ground.[&o]
Old 12-04-2006, 09:55 AM
Dorsil

So do you run the 12.25X 3.75 prop on the OS .61 FX ? or did you find another prop more suiting.

Again Im looking for somthing to break myself into hovering a bit.

I have to admit, im fairly new to the sport, but really im only lacking with knowledge when it comes to equipment.

Thanks for the great advice so far! this thread is amazing
Old 12-04-2006, 10:23 AM
Orange Poke

Well last week I couldn't maiden because of the 30mph winds and this week we got a foot of snow last thursday I was a little upset but wasn't going to let it get in my way. So friday night I spent all night making up some ski's for the T _ _ _ T. It wasn't the best maiden in the world cuase everything came loose on me. Landing gear lost a screw and didn't have another that would fit to replace it and my nose weight came loose. (i assume from the cold, it was taped on with heavy duty double stick) So I didn't get a good feel for how it flies but the takeoff and landing was amazing I can say that. With the gms .47 it took about 15' at half throttle I couldn't believe how easy it took off and landing was almost at a dead stop before it even hit the ground, this thing really does like to float. The ski's were awesome I think I had more fun skiing around the field then the flight. I guess we'll have to try again next weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb87070.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	571596  
Old 12-04-2006, 05:04 PM
Adam G
My Feedback: (17)

Dorsil,

I use a 13x4 in the warm months, and a 14x4 when it cool down a bit on my .61. I just changed to a 14x4. Downtrodden swears by a Master Airscrew 13x5, but he is crazy.

Orange Poke,

Sweeeeeeeet ski's !

Claytucker,

If a .61 will pull you out of a hover with authority on the .60 size T---t, then I would roll with it. The plane isn't much heavier than a .40 sized with the same motor. If the .61 is ballistic on the .40 sized, then it stands to reason that it flys the .60 very well. It is also nice and light, and very fuel efficient.

Jwk72,

I have settled on a CG of 5 3/4" on my electrified .60 sized Twist. I am flying with an APC 16x10 electric prop, and it work flys great. I have never heard a prop change affecting CG, but I suppose it is possible that the change in airflow over the wings could make a difference. In any case, 5 3/4" to 5 7/8" should be a good starting point.

Adam
Old 12-04-2006, 10:07 PM
otter5555

i'm a longtime lurker, first time poster to this forum. i live in ne texas where the winds blow sse 20-30 mph 24/7. i tought myself to fly rc about a year ago. i believe that learning to fly in these winds was a big plus.

i'm no expert by any means, but i have been privleaged to burn a gallon a week since i started. there is no substitute for actual flying time

i have destroyed 4 planes, 2 due to "dumb thumbs" 12" off the deck inverted in high winds. the other 2 were both due to mechanical failure. the last one was 4 hrs ago.

destroyed my 2nd magic funflyer.

i have had 2 40-size twists, am currently flying one daily. it is my second favorite plane. my favorite is a goldberg extreme 330 profile.

my question is this:

i run 72 saitos on both the goldberg and twist.

both have 11 oz tanks

both run 14/4/w apc props

neither will fly over 10 minutes on a tank of fuel and i NEVER need more than 1/2 power for anything i do. both hover on about 1/3 power .

i have read here of much longer flight times with similar rigs

what am i doing wrong?

i'd love longer flight times if possible

thanks in advance for any ideas you may have

otter----if the trees ain't leanin', i ain't flyin'
Old 12-04-2006, 10:37 PM
claytucker

Where are the bloggers for 60 Size Twists???
Do they go to the 40 size main Twist page??
Hope to see some nice blogs. Will post pic soon.

I maidened my t___T 61 on Sunday. Flew it for over two hours straight, it was awesome. A very easy build. I love the access off the top of the fuse behind the engine. I placed a 225 hitec on the throttle and 625 MG hitecs everywhere else. I used a voltage converter to 6 V and a 7.4V 1300 MAH LI-PO which I placed with Velcro just behind the firewall along the fuel tank. So I am not running a on/off switch or exterior charger plug. This way I pop the hood above the tank and unplug the battery. I have two of the batteries so I don't care if I leave them on for a while. I placed 1 oz of lead in the front to hit a 6" CG. But I don't know if it was needed as I landed after a 28 min flight very low on fuel, I had my best 3 point landing. It was at close to stalling into a 2-3 mph wind and gently rolled into the perfect landing. So if i pull the 1 oz of lead off the firewall who cares, I will always have more fuel in the tank then 1 oz as I landed on my last flight. Of course, it's a 17 OZ tank.

But I am using the OS 61 FX with a 13-4W. It pulls out of a hover very well. I was surprised!
I don't want to fly fast but I would like to have a larger prop and more power to hit the clouds in 3 seconds vs 10. Maybe I will feel safer hovering low when I know I can pull out instantly and straight up. I love my OS engines as they never have had a single problem and have been so easy to tune. I am debating which engine I should install next. I think the OS 91 fx and 120 ax share the same bolting pattern and weight as the 61 fx?

I guess if I swapped out to a taller pair of carbon fiber landing gear and went with a 120 AX I could run a 16 4W. Would it not be more stable and have amazing pull out power?
would it be too much?
It only weighs 21 ozs and seems like it would be a great combination...
Old 12-04-2006, 11:40 PM
claytucker

just kidding. I think the 120ax would probably rip off my wings : )
Old 12-05-2006, 09:07 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Wow,, Its getting hard to remember all the names and who said what with all the new people to the thread, or people who started this thread and are back again,, I LOVE IT, welcome all...

I can offer no advice on the Saito engines As I've never owned one.

Orange Poke Nice job on the Skis, I bet you did love skiing around with the T_ _ _ T [8D]we use to pop the wings off our planes in the summer and have Fuselage Drag races in the college parking lots at night. That was a Blast, we did more damage to our crafts by hitting light pole bases and cement parking barriers then we ever did in the sky back then.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:59 PM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Otter5555
I have the Saito 80 on my Pizazz and I am using a 13-4W APC. According to the Saito manual the 72 and the 80 use the same prop sizes. I don't think there are any surprises there. The 14-6 you are using is at the higher end with a 15-4 at the top. For aerobatics they recommend 11-9, 11-10, 12-8, or 12-9. So you might want to try a different prop.

Now I have never actually timed how long my Pizazz was in the air but I do know it was for some time becuase guys would ask me if I had a bottomless tank in there, which I don't. I think it is 12oz. With the 13-4W there is pleny of power and I don't think that will be an issue with any of the props you decide to go with.

ORIGINAL: otter5555

my question is this:

i run 72 saitos on both the goldberg and twist.

both have 11 oz tanks

both run 14/4/w apc props

neither will fly over 10 minutes on a tank of fuel and i NEVER need more than 1/2 power for anything i do. both hover on about 1/3 power .
Old 12-06-2006, 04:02 PM
Orange Poke

ORIGINAL: Waldopepperaxel

Fuselage Drag races....
Hmmm....[sm=72_72.gif]
Old 12-06-2006, 04:34 PM
2HI2C

Oh No, I see a wreck about to happen.[X(][X(][X(]
Old 12-07-2006, 08:14 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Hmmm,,, Another Idea [sm=idea.gif] Airplane Fuselage Demolition Derby[>:][>:] That could be quite damaging with a Prop swinging on the front. I may need to call my old high school buddies.[8D]
Old 12-07-2006, 09:28 AM
mikejr718

Will an os fs 91 surpass II be to much for this plane?? I have one sitting around and am looking for a home for it.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Waldopepperaxel

I don't think it would be, but there is a way to find out

Does anyone have a preference on what plane is better,,, the T_ _ _ T 40 or 60,,, I've heard a few things about the 60, but if you own both which do you like better?

Old 12-07-2006, 01:19 PM
Downtrodden

There is only ONE true T_ _ _ T! I'm surprised at you Waldo! [X(]
Old 12-07-2006, 02:39 PM
mcoccia
My Feedback: (2)

Hi,

I have been flying my .40 for a little while now. Everytime it goes to the field with me someone goes out and buys one after seeing mine fly.

Here is my setup and it all came from my Venus .40 which I did not like.

OS 50 SX Ringed
Macs pipe
4x3152 on 6v and all 4-40 hardware
3004 for throttle
12x4 prop

It has unlimited vertical. I could not even imagine putting a OS .61 in there but I don't know how much power you would really gain. The .50 Ringed motor is probably the best 2 stroke engine I have. I have been thinking about dropping in my Saito .82 just to see what happens

This is one of my favorite planes and always goes to the field with me and get flown the most.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:52 PM
claytucker

i like the 60 better than my old 40s. It might be because I built it more carefully. I like the open hatch behind the firewall. Two dowls and two wing bolts. EZ to build with everything installed from control surfaces to control horns. Bolt together design does not require glue. I had the 61 fx on both and think I had a better set up on the 60 t___T. Going to install the 91 fx next week. Any suggestions of prop size for the 91 fx, 15 4w or 16 4w
Old 12-07-2006, 09:28 PM
Adam G
My Feedback: (17)

I have both and think the .40 handles better. Don't have near the as much flight time on the .60 so my opinion may change.

Adam
Old 12-08-2006, 09:05 AM
patnjimtucker

Hi Waldo. As to your question about preference for the 40 or 60 Twist. I have owned 8 of the 40's now. 4 have evaporated, and 4 still fly. three of them are powered by OS46 with 12.75 x 3.75 prop, and one is electric. I have been flying the Twist 40 now for 2 years and have several hundred flights. I love this plane, and it really is the one that has taught me to fly. My home is in Midhurst Ontario, but I get to spend a few months in Florida in the winter, so I keep 2 Twists in each place.

Then last August when the new 60 came out I just had to have one, and I was the first one at our LHS to get one. Equipped it with the OS91 and the 16 x 4 prop. I put the CG in the mid range. About 6 1/4" as I recall. Terrible time to land the plane. After some help from this site and others, and some help from some senior flying buddies we found that the plane flies much better at 5 7/8 or 6" CG. Makes a big difference. The quality of the build of the 60 is far superior to the 40. Control surfaces and horns are preinstalled. Tail feathers are bolt on. Fuel bay has a really neat magnetic latch for a hatch, that makes for easy tank installation or easy battery access if you go electric. Since the 60 is larger, and a little heavier, it seems to handle the wind or turbulence a lot better. And it seems to be easier to do houvers. I still can not do them very well but they are easier in the 60. And it seems that the 60 can fly slower, so the reaction time when doing aerobatics is easier. My friends were impressed at how slow I could land a 40, and I know that my LHS sold at least 6 other twist 40's as a result of seeing me fly the 40. They are just stunned at how slow I can land a 60!!!!!

Now I am down in Florida, and my 60 is up north for the winter. I have tried a new plane down here. The 40 UCD. Have been flying it for 4 weeks now, and am loving it. Many at my field here in the Tampa Bay area are now odering theirs. I think the build is not as good as the Twists but this thing flies so slow, when you want to. Better at houvers, better at slow flight, great aerbatics. Now I have to fight with myself as to which planes get to go to the field. The UCD40 or the Twist 40. I try to bring them both, but the UCD is getting more airtime, and lots of applause!
Old 12-08-2006, 09:19 AM
jwk72

I had to brag to someone and no one around here seems to care, all of my fmily thinks that rc planes are for kids. What do they know. Anyways, I just got a confimation e-mail from the editor or FlyRC magazine that a photo I submitted is going to be in the "snapshot" section of the issue due out in early January. I am a phofessional photographer and this is my first major publication so I'm a bit excited. So when you get your issue, the shot of the plane landing againt a sunset, that's mine !

Well, the weather is supposed to break a bit over the next week here in the Chicago area, so I'm getting my .60 all prepped for it's maiden. Maybe I can find a day when there is no one around to laugh! I'll let you all know how it goes.

Jay K.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:52 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Thanks for the input fellas,

Not to worry DownT, I just wanted to find out some information on the other unmentionable, I tend to get off the main subject a little on the thread, and just wanted to hear some more bragging stories about the T_ _ _ T 40, you know where my heart is[8D]

JWK,, when ever someone says to me these Airplanes are for kids, I take them to one of my planes, fire up the nice big propped motor, rev it to full power while there watching me, and then I pretend to lose my grip for a second as it starts to roll out at them, as they panic and jump to get out of the way, I'm already down throttled and are holding the plane quite firmly.

I then ask them if they would want their kid playing with that. they usually go and buy one. I say of course their for kids,, BIG kids with Jobs....or some sort of income in short,,, I tell them its very safe, but just needs to be respected. and to me,, there isn't really anything more fun to do on this Planet then this. I'm involved in a lot of things, But no matter where I go or what I do,, I always have an eye on the sky, and you know what I'm thinking,,, Hmmm,,,[sm=72_72.gif] could I possibly get home in time for a flight???
Old 12-08-2006, 03:39 PM
dutchalltheway

ORIGINAL: Waldopepperaxel

I don't think it would be, but there is a way to find out

Does anyone have a preference on what plane is better,,, the T_ _ _ T 40 or 60,,, I've heard a few things about the 60, but if you own both which do you like better?

Waldo....my friend owns the .60 size......I personally think the .46 size is easier to manoeuver than the .60 size....my .46 size is super responsive, while his .60 size is a lil' slower....just my .02. I personally would not buy the .60 size...I would get another/replace the .46 size before getting the .60 size....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.