Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

"New" Lil Toni by Great Planes

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

"New" Lil Toni by Great Planes

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 12:48 AM
kochj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "New" Lil Toni by Great Planes

GOt my Minnow couple days ago. Very nice plane. Not started on it yet but here are some picts of some one's Minnow
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53933.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	684044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51508.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	684045  
Old 07-04-2007, 10:45 AM
vasmikey

I have had one for 2 years now ever since they came out. The only issues I have are 1.) the spinner backplate for the first batch was warped and caused the plane to vibrate. Great Planes sent me a new one already and it corrected the vibrations. ( I put in a YS-110-FZ) 2.) Slowing the puppy down for landing. It wants to float by and not come down. Otherwise, it screams and tracks perfectly.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:42 PM
masonman

Don't it say in the tower talk that this thing rockets around an slows nice for landings?....The one i have won't slow down for landings at all. Its ready to grab another gear an go. flapperons helped tame this beast for me.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:16 AM
mike boxtall

I crashed my little toni a few weeks ago. I was wondering if anyone out there has ever fixed one? Most of the damage was asthetic but the firewall was totally pushed in. I was thinking about trashing it seeing as I am going to need new tail feathers and a new wing set. But people out at the field have told me that it is fixable. Anyone tried with success???
Old 11-19-2007, 02:54 PM
lill will

I know that this it is somewhere in these post one or more posta good fast setup, I just got mine fri before thanksgiving. and I would like to order everything at once can someone post a complete setup from servo to spinner. have not crack open the parts box but did mount the ailerons. I want all out speed couple guys have midget and shreks and some yellow plane that is supposed to be fast,so any help will do .
Old 11-21-2007, 02:45 PM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Would you guys be offended if I told you I've lost intrest in my Minnow [ after about six flights ] and am considering pulling all the parts off of it and scraping the plane. It's poor performance and terrible loss of speed into and coming out of the turns has me wondering if it's worth keeping operational. It's powered by a .90 SuperTigre [ about the biggest engine you can put in it without tearing most of the cowl ]. Shoestring and Little Tony will fly circles around Minnow. MM[&o] [and yes, I'm serious about scraping the plane .]
Old 11-21-2007, 11:06 PM
russm

i put a o.s.120ax on mine . originally i had a o.s.91fx w/ a jett muffler on it. decent speed, but had a lot of engine problems w/ it. so on goes the 120ax and on the fifth flight i blew the wings off it. all that was left was paper machetti. someone said it hit around 125. who knows?, but it was fast. just finished a new one w/ upgraded hardware and of course the 120ax. this is such a buetiful plane. i also own 3 tonys. 1 each w/ a ys110, jett90lx, and moki 60 w/ tuned pipe. i love them all. russm
Old 11-25-2007, 01:52 PM
masonman

4-3152 FUTABA SERVOS
1-3004 FUTABA SERVO
1-168DP FUTABA RX
1-O.S. .91 2C ENGINE

I have had my toni for a little over a year. It has had four engines on it all 2 stroke. After haveing engines that would fly apart in the air an or lock up, I found the 91 that i have now to be a great engine. I fly around with a 14x6 apc prop for cruzing. I have a 12x12 apc when the need for major speed an rpms bites me. For the most part i fly it with a 14x6 cause after you get the mach 1 low passes out of the way its a really nice model to just fly the pattern with an listen to everyone talk about how good it looks in the air. The three ladies where i fly love this plane. Must be the spinner. The model has a hard time peeling off speed when trying to land. I use 15 degrees of flaperons when i am on base right after i cut the throttle. Make my turn to final an start feeding it throttle as needed to keep the speed up. Without them the plane is tough to land with a slight nose down attitude because its so clean it will keep gaining speed. There ya go. Good luck
Old 11-26-2007, 06:45 PM
mike boxtall

russm,

A few questions, What prop were you turning on your 120ax, what exhaust were you using and how did your wings come apart? Was it the glued joint that couldn't take the stress or did you glass the joint. This summer I plan on getting another toni and putting an os 120ax in it. Also how was the balance with the 120 ax?
Old 11-27-2007, 09:05 AM
russm

stock exaust, 15x8 prop, but it was on a minnow, not the toni
Old 12-09-2007, 12:20 AM
masonman

120AX.........Wow. I bet that model will scream. What kinda speeds are you seeing with it?
Old 12-09-2007, 10:02 AM
russm

dont know for sure. someone guesed at around 120-130 range
Old 12-11-2007, 02:23 AM
mike boxtall

I had a Saito 125 on mine. With a 14X10 apc prop on it I was seeing numbers of 8900-9100rpm depending on the humidity. Guy's at the field were saying that it moved well over 100 mph. Before it met it's maker I was thinking about putting an O.S. 120 AX onto it. I was thinking either a 14X12 or a 13X13 for the 120AX but I never had a chance, I lost radio control and two of them hit the ground at full throttle... sigh! I guess I will just have to get another then I will try a 120AX.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:27 AM
masonman

Get another one......................Thats the spirit mike
Old 12-11-2007, 11:31 AM
russm

the 120 should be a good choice. this is a very tail heavy plane. the muffler setup that comes with this engine is ideal for the toni or minnow
Old 12-11-2007, 01:35 PM
masonman

Your right russ. It is a very tail heavy plane even though its so short. But in my case with a 91FX with the stock muffler i have found that as soon as i touch down i have to feed in just a lil up elevator till the tail settles down to keep it from noseing over. Then all taxing has to be with full up elevator aswell. The muffler that comes with the 120AX is it like the one that comes with the 91FX? I had to use a 1 inch spacer with mine
Old 12-11-2007, 03:18 PM
russm

it is a lot better setup than the 91 fx. they give you a couple of options with the muffler. check it out and you will see what i mean. i had the 91fx with a jett muffler on my minnow, but had problems with it. so i put the 120ax on it and after 4 flights i blew the wing all to hell . i think you will really enjoy the toni-120ax setup
Old 12-12-2007, 12:33 AM
masonman

I think i will check into that. How long will the 120 run on the stock fuel tank? I am getting about 14 mins to a tank with the 91. But thats not fire walling it though. Get about 10 to 12 then
Old 12-12-2007, 09:55 AM
russm

about 10 min.. again, thats on my minnow wich is a larger plane. about the same with my 2 tonis useing a jett 90lx on one and a ys 110 on the other
Old 12-12-2007, 11:38 PM
mike boxtall

I hear that third time's the charm, now that I got a new receiver from horizon. They said the old one would not range check properly and replaced it under warentee. Maybe this one will last more than one season... and I might actually put the decals on this one.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:49 PM
mike boxtall

By the way masonman,

Was that a shot? 'Get another one Mike....'
If it was, it hurt my feelings and I am very upset now. lol. My whole obsession with this plane started in my first year of flying. A guy at the field had one and I was sold at that point. It is for me one of those must have's. I saw a pic of one where the guy had a rear exhaust motor in it and he ran the exhaust out through the back of the right cheek. I might try that. Kinda gave it that turbo prop look.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:56 AM
masonman

No mike. Being just like you i have to have a toni at all times aswell. If i ever loose this one i will be clicking buy as soon as i get home from the field. The toni was my second plane. Not by choice eaither. I have a cool wife. She an i were looking at the tower catalog one night. I was droping hints that i might want a 4*60 an a O.S. 91 FS. Then we found the little toni an we talked about how nice looking it was, never once did i say i wanted it. Well a week later it was here with an O.S. 91FX. She told me the fx was cheaper than the fs. I tryed to tell her about them being total diffrent engines. But long story short the rest of my models hang in the garage. Little toni hangs in the bed room nose down by her side of the bed. She loves it. So loosing it would be like loosing a part of the family
Old 12-17-2007, 08:24 PM
mike boxtall

My wife was like that until I piled in both Toni's. Now she is a little more skeptical. I tried to tell her that it was not my fault, she did not believe me... until I got a new receiver from Horizon for my dx 7. Only now she is always asking 'what if this one is faulty also?'. She has agreed to let me get another and I quote "BUT THIS IS THE LAST ONE!!!"
Old 12-18-2007, 05:23 PM
lill will

great stories guys cant wait to get started on mine . me and good freind of mine have two we are going to try to fly pattern or just chase each other in the air like a safe dog fight he is going with a 4 stoke (not sure what size) so i am not sure which motor I want for the bird to reach full speed everytime
Old 12-19-2007, 01:44 AM
mike boxtall

I have got a Saito125 sitting idle right now, so I am going to be putting that in mine again when I get it. When I finish the super skybolt, thats where the Saito will go then I will put in an O.S.120ax into the Toni. With the Saito I was over 100mph. with the O.S. I am hopping to be around 125mph+. Awesome plane. Lands fast and wants to float forever. I think the only thing I am going to change is the way the elevators are hooked up. I will use the Dave Brown fiberglass pushrod syestem. The way it is done out of the box I really don't trust at the speeds I want.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.