Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

"New" Lil Toni by Great Planes

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

"New" Lil Toni by Great Planes

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 08:28 PM
thisoneused
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "New" Lil Toni by Great Planes

N1EDM,

I have seen threads from several different sites including this one that the A-Frame types were never actualy used even though the instructions refer to that style being revised with the current non A-frame type. I believe others have actualy had grossly imbalance issues with the "TRU-TURN" style spinners, although this was not the case with mine. I was a lucky one that did not have a vibration due to a poor balanced spinner. I will be buying another Toni soon as mine went in sunday at over 100mph due to channel 22 issues at the local club I belong to. We have lost three planes late this year due to a complete lack of control while flying. My experiance was so bad that the throttle wouldn't even fluctuate when pulled all the way back! I just put in a brand new crystal and the complete radio unit was a new install with the plane as well. I fully charged over two nights on the slow charger and hit it with the field charger before going up. We have all decided to avoid 22 now at our field.
This plane will give you a great amount of joy flying and I cant wait to get another myself...I will be shure to check out the new spinner though...I probably wont luck out twice on that subject. I recomend checking it out before flying with it and having your plane shake apart when the prop/ engine unloads in the air.

Good luck with yours,
Jim

Hope yours lasts longer than two months....HE HE!!
Old 11-09-2004, 08:29 AM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Jim, I refer to the non A-brace type. I now notice a little wobble in my Tru-Turn spinner, I will probably switch to an Ultimate style spinner by spring time. The longer a spinner is, the more chance of wobble. By the way, are you or were you a P-3 jockey? Mike.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:45 AM
N1EDM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know if you were referring to Jim or myself, but I have 2500 hours in P-3 Orions as a Tube Rat (I flew SS1)

You can read a liittle more about me on that subject at www.qrz.com/n1edm.

How about you? Were you an Airdale too?

Bob
Old 11-09-2004, 05:29 PM
GBIguy
My Feedback: (7)

Which muffler did everyone decide was best for the OS 91FX? Did anyone have a problem installing the horizontal stab? Mine has about a 1/4" gap or top and bottom which allows for the incidence to be off. Any tips or suggestions?
Old 11-10-2004, 08:49 AM
MormonMike

Bob, There was a time when I eat, sleep and drink L-188's. But, alas, those days are gone. Let's just talk about RC planes. Us "brown-shoes" can hold our own. Tell me more about your "Toni". Mike. "Airdale".......... now thats a word I have'nt heard in a long time.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:56 AM
MormonMike

GBI Guy, Yes , there is a gap at the horizontal. If you super glue it , don't take your eyes off of it till it's absoulutely dry. It will run when your not looking. Epoxy will work but you can only do one side at a time till it drys. Pitts muffler works best. I use a ST .90 on my Toni. Impressive too. Yes, you will lose quite a bit of the cowl. Seeya, MM.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:56 PM
hooaa
My Feedback: (1)

Bob,
I just received 8 pcs of 10-32 x 2-1/2" SHCS from Tru-Turn. They appear to be steel and silver colored. I had to drill out the Lil Toni spinner slightly using a #12 drill bit. The head dia. just fits perfectly inside the spinner nose, protruding out approx. .010". Would you like me to mail one of these to you (no charge)?
Roland
N6WQ
ex-W1UHH
Old 11-11-2004, 02:58 AM
LDJL

I was talking about cockpit cowling that you can by at the LHS. I've used it to outline the cut out portions in many cowls and it looks great. It gives it a finished look.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:14 PM
N1EDM

LDJL,
Thanks for the offer on those screws but I just received some myself from McMaster-Carr (I broke down and got the SST ones). I went to mcmaster.com, and got part no. 92196A281 for under $10 for a pkg of 25 screws. That's more than I'll ever need too. Wish I'd waited a couple of more days... I would have split the cost of yours instead.

Thanks anyway for the offer. I appreciate it. I'll use your tip on drilling out the spinner though to accept the screw shank. The screw head fits fine in my spinner with no grinding. It looks like a thin wall though. I might just slightly grind down the OD of the screw instead, as an experiment.

I tried to put the spinner on my balancer, but the spinner is too long. I'll have to get some 1/8" and 3/16" steel rods to extend my balancer to check it.

Thanks for the idea, and the offer.

Bob
Old 11-12-2004, 10:46 AM
GBIguy
My Feedback: (7)

I can slide a 3/32 peice of balsa through the opening for the horizontal and still fit the stab in with it. That seems like too much of a gap for superglue. What are you guys doing about the incedience of the tail. I would have thought that on a plane that goes over 100mph they would have taken a little better time fitting the tail peices.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:54 PM
N1EDM

GBIguy,
After reading your post, I decided that I might check mine as well. I found the same thing...

I can't see any reason why someone should spend $250 for a plane and hfind that it has such a fundamental problem. It's such that you could introduce a degree or two of unwanted incidence into the horizontal stab.

Has anyone else had this situation? And if you did, how did you get around it? THe only thing that you have to glue to is the fiberglass sides, and if you're only gluing your horizontal stab to either the bottom or the top, that doesn't seem too secure to me...

I'm seriously considering sending mine back and finding another project...

Thanks for the heads-up.

Bob
Old 11-14-2004, 05:24 PM
hooaa

My horizontal stab had a gap of about 1/16" top and bottom. However there was sufficient contact area at both ends, top and bottom. I don't believe the stab will move. It does bother me to see daylight around it but I got over that already because the paint job is so darn outstanding, as is the majority of the kit. I should be airborn in approx. 2 weeks.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:40 PM
toto_sal

Just had the first flight with my Little Toni.... Really nice flying airplane. I did though manage to put an Evolution NT 100 2s in the engine. Minor modifications to the pipe clearance was the only problem. I used a 14x8 prop and it did over load the engine... how ever the plane managed to fly flawless. Next weekend will be using a 13x6 prop... Hopefully this prop will have the plane performing at higher speeds. Over all, the plane is a great flier... landing gear is quite strong and will not bend on grass fields.... The only complain is regarding the wheel pants... Wish they had a better mounting system... One fell right off within 10 seconds of the first take off.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:58 PM
hooaa

I have stuffed a YS 110FZ into mine and will be using a 13-10 prop for starters. Using a 4-cycle makes for a clean engine installation. I expect to loose the wheel pants the first time I roll off of our narrow runway and run into the berm on the roadside. Too bad because they are so pretty (and functional).
Old 11-15-2004, 08:41 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the incidence off by 2degrees on my Midget Mustang Arf and it flew like it. That was part of the reason for a recover after i fixed it.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:01 PM
brad78

Jeff Fudyna at GBI Hobbies in Atlantic Beach NC is building mine for me (I hate building them and I don't care how easy it is). It should be ready tomorrow. He is putting a .91 two stroke in it instead of a four. Should be scary fun......!
Old 11-24-2004, 03:25 PM
james yeram
My Feedback: (5)

Do you guys think the os 1.40 or 1.60 is to much??
I think that would make an awsome combo for this plane.
let me know what the biggest you guys heard of going in this plane.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:21 PM
N1EDM

The plane is rated for a .61 2S (recommends OS or ST), or a .91 OS 4S. I think an engine that big would be a waste... plus, I'm wondering if you'll have to add tail weight to offset the weight of the engine.

Besides, after seeing that huge gap in the tail where the stab is supposed to slide through, it threw cold water on the whole project. I shipped mine back today for a refund.

Just my $.02

Bob
Old 11-24-2004, 09:17 PM
hooaa

The YS 110FZ fits inside the cowl nicely. Only the tip of the rocker cover protrudes. It nearly balanced at CG without weights. Only 1/2 oz. behind trailing edge made it perfect, and 1-oz in the left wingtip to balance laterally. This is likely the best choice for a 4-cycle engine without modification to strengthen the firewall. The Jett 90 with an exhaust extension is argueably the fastest 2-cycle that results in a clean installation.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:30 AM
N1EDM

Hmmm, gotta eat a little crow on my last email :-D Glad that it worked out for you. Let us know how it flies...

Regards,

Bob
Old 11-25-2004, 01:47 PM
james yeram
My Feedback: (5)

Allright guys.
I ordered one from tower with an os 91fx.
I also bought a macs tuned pipe and header.
has anyone used this combo on there??
I haven't really heard anything about the tuned pipe from macs but I bought it anyway.
How I see it I wouldn't have to cut such a huge hole in the cowl.
and the tune pipe should give her a bit more oomph!
let me know if you guys have ever had any problems with the tuned pipe because I can always return it before I use it.
thanks
Old 11-25-2004, 08:46 PM
thisoneused
My Feedback: (-1)

Well...I used the Macs tuned pipe on my G-90 in the Little Toni. I bought the non quite version and was very pleased in the sound. It was not overly loud and had a very nice sound!! As for performance...I noticed some gain in rpm and it also helped the prop unload and sustain the rpm through level flight once it wound up. I think you'll be pleased with it!
Jim
Old 11-28-2004, 02:52 AM
sarlacc
My Feedback: (33)

Almost finished with mine. I have to mount my bettery/reciever and test fire and tune my Super Tigre. Here are some pics. Hope everyone likes what I did with my slim line. I am a very impatient person and this is all that the LHS had in stock.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60628.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	197186   Click image for larger version

Name:	So43002.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	197187  
Old 11-28-2004, 08:39 AM
r-c-guy
My Feedback: (37)

I have an os 91 (vrdf) with pipe and pipe pressure. I flies fantastic! It also idles better with the pipe - aybe it scavenges better.

randy
Old 01-16-2005, 01:25 PM
Redrata
My Feedback: (3)

Hi,
I wonder if someone have tried a OS 108. ? . I think it needs a big 2 stroke. What about a Rossi 105??
Any more pics about engine installations appreciated (prop /engine combo) . Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.