Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

C.G. Decathalon ARF- Any reports?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

C.G. Decathalon ARF- Any reports?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 10:58 PM
WacoOne
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C.G. Decathalon ARF- Any reports?

I've been thinking about the Carl Goldberg Decathalon ARF. Anyone have any experiences- negative or positive? Possibly use an O.S. 120FS in it.
Old 07-24-2002, 01:34 AM
springfield111

Default Goldberg Decathlon

BUY this plane, you won't be sorry. I've got a few arf's under my hanger, this is by far the best one yet. Built tough, good workmanship, covering job couldn't be better. It looks awesome. I'm putting a S/T .90 in mine, not looking for any 3D stuff, just a nice break from the Edge 540, Giant scale Stinger, and Sukhoi. I'll have it ready for this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes....
Old 07-24-2002, 01:32 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: C.G. Decathalon ARF- Any reports?

Originally posted by WacoOne
I've been thinking about the Carl Goldberg Decathalon ARF. Anyone have any experiences- negative or positive? Possibly use an O.S. 120FS in it.
It's a very nice airplane. Easy to fly, very easy to make perfect landings. I have a Thunder Tiger 1.20 2 stroke in mine which is way too much power, but it doesn't hurt anything. A little extra weight in the front is no big deal, I just put the elevator servos in the tail (2 JR mini-digitals, 3420 I think) and it balances fine.

FYI this is a real fun airplane but NOT a precision aerobatic plane. It will do most aerobatics, but is sloppy, does not hold straight lines well, etc. But great fun, I keep mine around for a break from the big ones.

TF
Old 07-25-2002, 12:27 AM
WacoOne

Default Carl Goldberg Decathalon ARF

Thanks for the input, guys. You sold me! I'm not looking for super aerobatics from this plane. It's just pretty, it's an ARF and I too am looking for a break from the usual stuff.

Bill
Old 07-26-2002, 12:06 AM
LMProd

Default Who has any Decathalons for sale ?

I have been trying to find a CG Decathalon.

No one has any.

Gary
Old 07-26-2002, 02:57 AM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

Default Goldberg

Winder Hobbies has them
770 867 9148
Milton
Old 11-12-2002, 02:24 AM
MacAir

I bought mine from "Fun Time Hobbies" in Stone Mountain, and I'm glad that I did, because someone else was going to buy it!
Yea! I beet him to it, whew!

This is a beautiful plane, and is the reason I got into this hobby, was so that I could get one of these... or a Dynaflight, but those don't come as ARFs.

I did want to install "RAM" NAV lights on it, but the wing tips are "edged" and are not to real "scale" appearence, but either way, it's beautiful.

It's my winter project and haven't yet started building it, but here are some photos.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	35121_15639.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	11503  
Old 11-12-2002, 02:31 AM
MacAir

Look at the size of this thing! It's huge, not "giant", but huge...
It's sitting on my main sofa!

Name:	35122_15639.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	11504  
Old 11-12-2002, 02:34 AM
MacAir

The Dynaflight has an 89" wing span, and it takes a 1.2 to 1.8, and this Goldberg with it's 80.75" wing span, asks for only a .70 to .91, is there any harm in increasing the engine size to 1.2 or higher?

Name:	35123_15639.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	11505  
Old 11-14-2002, 03:23 PM
Epoxy Cup

Default CG Decathelon

I have one that I got from my son. He didn't like it because it wasn't aerobatic enough for him. Well I don't know what he expected from a high wing plane.
This plane is great looking flies super but like RCTOM said don't expect it to perform like an Extra. It will perform though and looks good in the air. I have a magnum .90 4c in it and power is good. The plane is of excellent quality and as I said it is just super looking.
Old 11-16-2002, 01:17 AM
WacoOne

Default Goldberg Decathlon ARF

Since I started this thread back in July I've purchased, built, flown AND crashed one. The culprit was an aileron sevro mounting block as attached inside the aileron servo hatch cover. I neglected to add screws as well as epoxy and one popped loose during a snap roll (yes, they are aerobatic enough to snap). I won't make that mistake again! I had an O.S. 91FS w/pump and it's PLENTY of power. 14-6 prop.
Anyway, I received another one yesterday so it won't be long before I'm flying one again.
They look beautiful in the air and on the ground and fly great, are mildly aerobatic and just plain fun!

Bill
Old 11-17-2002, 03:32 PM
quitflyin
My Feedback: (2)

There are 3 of these in our flying club... All 3 are powered by Saito 100's turning APC 15x6 props at about 9,800 RPM's on 15% nitro...

This engine is perfect for this plane, almost has unlimited vertical and is very smooth (plus sounds great!)

One of the planes has all sorts of lights on it, it looks neat but it weighs probably 1 1/2 lbs more than the others (he also has an onboard glow system, which really isn't needed) His performance is noticably less than the other 2 but still flies nice...

The plane is well built and a lot of fun to fly... I agree it will do the maneuvers, but it has no where the precision of a CAP, Extra or Edge (nor was it designed to)...

Hope this helps!
Old 11-17-2002, 10:18 PM
ramireo

Falcon, how are the Saito engines mounted on the 3 airplanes at your club? How about the mufflers?
Thanks.
Old 11-17-2002, 10:54 PM
quitflyin

2 are side mounted, one is inverted (has onboard glow)... the 2 side mounted ones have muffler coming out side of cowl, the inverted on has muffler out the bottom...

The inverted on is definately the nicer fit/look...

Hope this helps!
Old 11-20-2002, 10:36 PM
Peter Y

Default Slow and gentle flight?

Hi all

I'm sneaking up on buying one of these also. Can you tell me - will the Decathalon fly slow and gentle (similar to a Cub)? I'm looking for a nice looking, good quality relaxed flyer for low and slow flying (i.e. to enjoy the looks rather than for aerobatics).

Anyone know the wing loading?

Many thanks

Peter
Old 11-20-2002, 11:23 PM
quitflyin

Default Re: Slow and gentle flight?

Originally posted by Peter Y
Hi all

I'm sneaking up on buying one of these also. Can you tell me - will the Decathalon fly slow and gentle (similar to a Cub)? I'm looking for a nice looking, good quality relaxed flyer for low and slow flying (i.e. to enjoy the looks rather than for aerobatics).

Yes, it does a nice job of "low & slow" I would still recommend the Saito 100 as a powerplant, and a 15x6 prop would work great for you... You'll have plenty of power if you need it, but she will putt around the pattern too!
Old 11-21-2002, 12:58 AM
MacAir

Wow, thanks guys, this is great information and I'm looking forward to the beginning of it's build.

I'm in no hurry - I'm still learning to fly and need to build (or rebuild) my "Avistar". I'm going to rebuild it to look more like the Decathlon.

There is something about these planes that just turns me on. I just happened to find a Great Planes .40 Decathlon, on sale, for only $79 plus shipping and ordered it. This will be my new trainer prior to flying (or even building) my new Goldberg Decathlon.

I may end up with three (3) Decathlons...
1. The Goldberg
2. The Great Planes
3. The (scratch build) in "trainer" form (or "semi-scale").

Thanks for the TIPS on the servo tray deck!
• Q: Was it a total loss, or can you repair it?
• Q: Would you please attach a photo of the wreckage? I'll try my hardest not to cry! Thank you.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:09 PM
beavertail

Tower hobbies has bought Carl Goldberg models. Do you guys think this will effect quality??
Old 05-07-2003, 12:14 PM
Planedreamer

Goldberg was bought by Lanier not Tower Hobbies. Tower carries the products now.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:36 PM
beavertail

Ok, Sorry, second hand info. I feel better now
Old 05-07-2003, 08:59 PM
mikerc
My Feedback: (11)

Default Giant Scale Planes Super Decathlon

Here is my GSP Super Decathlon. It has a ZDZ 40sportsman. A TME smoke system. This this is awesome in the air. It has a 96" wing. It is very scale with this engine. It does the best tail slides threw the smoke. I have a video on my site of a full flight. Check it out.

www.ros********.com

Name:	76646_2759.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	11506  
Old 06-02-2003, 03:48 AM
To_Subway

Default Carl Goldberg Decathlon

I was wondering what size GAS engine to use if I was looking to make a C.G. Decathlon a gasser............Is it possible to do?

THANKS..
Old 06-03-2003, 11:59 PM
To_Subway

^
Old 06-04-2003, 03:16 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For gas engines, consider the RCS/Moki 1.40 or the MVVS 1.60 engines. Both will fit in the nose of models that will accomodate a 1.20 four-stroke glow engine. Both cost approximately the same as a 1.20 four-stroke glow engine and weigh nearly the same.

What little more cost may be involved in buying an optional muffler will be quickly offset by the huge reduction in fuel costs.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:04 PM
orvel
My Feedback: (1)

You can't go wrong with a Goldberg model, Kit or ARF. I don't have a Decathlon but I've seen plenty of CG Decathlons, there's a couple at my club flying with 91Four Strokers and believe me they're plenty of power for this airplane. If you go with a 1.20 I think you're going to find yourself throttling back a lot. You just don't need that much power for this airplane! Good Luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.