Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Yak that could handle a DA50?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Yak that could handle a DA50?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 08:29 PM
flynm
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yak that could handle a DA50?

Does anyone make a yak that could handle a DA 50? Prefer a ARF.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:29 PM
Den B

Default RE: Yak that could handle a DA50?

http://www.extremeflightrc.com/XFRC-Main.htm

I'm thinking of this one I have been told it was built around the DA 50 and even has the tunnel for the pipe in the fuse if you want to go that route.

Den
Old 08-12-2004, 11:03 PM
flynm

thanks, but at $699 that's a bit steep. I saw that KMP/cheetah rc make the same size ARF for 399. I wonder how much better the Extreme is (or even if it is)?? Any insight would be great.

dan
Old 08-13-2004, 01:00 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at the weight of the KMP/CHEETAH/GSP Yaks and then look at the Extreme Flight one ... that says it all. Of course the others will fly nice but the EF one will fly great with such a much lighter wing loading.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:17 PM
flynm

What is the weight difference?

thanks
dan
Old 08-14-2004, 10:06 AM
edgeman55
My Feedback: (25)

Word is that the KMP Yaks are the ones that Chris from Extreme Flight refused to take.They were not built to his standards.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:49 AM
tIANci

EF Yak about 10-10.5 lbs and the CMPro one weighs up to 12-13lbs.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:37 PM
josephair

tianci you are wacked. the EF yak is 17lbs and the cheetah rc is 16.7lbs Same wingspan 87"
Old 08-14-2004, 09:22 PM
deputydog

josephair;
where are you getting your weight for the EF bird? 15-15.5 is projected! TIANci is probably thinking of the 68" bird.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:10 AM
Cheech
My Feedback: (19)

I am holding out for the Extreme Flight Yak for the DA 50. When they start shipping I plan to get one. I really like the fact that it is setup for the big exhaust system tunneled through the fuselage. We have a sound issue at our field and right now no one is allowed to fly gas.

This plane could be stup for fantastic performance AND be relatively quiet on the big exhaust canisters from KS. This would be a super project and a great home for a DA 50.

Regarding cost, here's my take. When you're putting together a bigger airplane the airframe is only 30-40% of the total cost. This big YAK would cost about $2000 with the DA50, good radio gear and after market exhaust. At that point the $200 difference in airframe cost is not all that significant.

http://www.extremeflightrc.com/product_html/87Yak54.htm
http://www.desertaircraft.com/engine...p?Page=DA-50-R
Old 12-01-2004, 05:12 PM
3dking
My Feedback: (26)

200.00 is still 200.00. I have the KMP YAK and I am really happy with mine. Extreme Flight states 14.5-17lbs. The KMP YAK is 15-17 lbs. If you are just a recreational modeler and not someone trying to compete in a TOC, I think the KMP would be the better route to go. I think after you buy the gas tank, switches, robart hinges and etc....You will still save $100.00 of the $649.95 price Chris's charging for an EF. You decide.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:29 PM
3de
My Feedback: (6)

But that $100.00 dollars you say you save, Ill spend on the EF.. That pays for the wingbags, tail bags, fuse bag, carbonfiber gear CF wingtube, great US hardware kit ect. Im getting the EF 87"...
JMHO..
Old 12-01-2004, 05:41 PM
Flight Hawk

Dido!!
Old 12-01-2004, 06:35 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

15.5 to 16 pounds for the Extreme Flight
Carbon Fiber stab and wing tubes.
QUALITY hardware included for the entire plane.
Composite Landing gear
Wing and Tail bags included.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:36 AM
edgeman55
My Feedback: (25)

Don't forget Wayne she now comes with a fuse bag too.What I like besides the awsome construction of these planes.ie the 68" Yak,The profile 540t and the Yak electric is the fact that none of the hardware ends up in the round file(garbage can). Just put them together and then fly the crap out of them.My profile 540t has gone thru many bounces off the tera ferma and around 60 really hard flights and she is still cookin.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:58 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

The bottom line is there is no Yak currently available other than the KMP built for the DA50. The KMP is the rejected batch of Extreme Flight planes and Chris Hinson posted on a thread within the last week that is the case. When he finally delivers I am confident that the EF will be the best flying, best value plane in it's class and worth the wait. I have a friend building the KMP who is worried about the quality and he doesn't know anything about the origin of the plane and that it was rejected by Chris.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:03 AM
tIANci

Guys ... 87" Yak will be available very soon from the Far East!!! Heheheee ...
Old 12-02-2004, 11:25 AM
3dking

Ragardless of what Chris rejected or accepted. I have a KMP. I am completely satisfied with it.
I am not a professional pilot. Nor do I want to compete in any TOC'S. I am a family man who unfortunately with 3 kids can't afford the luxury of buying a plane from a company who's president hasn't even won a TOC. Everyones buying into the ''Hype'' of Extreme Flight. As long as the plane is not built crooked, which it is not, or is broken, which it is not I think that 399.99 is a great price for an 87'' airplane. Especially if your just a recreational flyer. Let's say for the sake of argument that the plane you intend on buying is EF's 87'' yak. Ok. You buy the best servos, the best linkage. The best of everything. Now what? You spent close or even in excess of $2000.00, and don't forget the free wing bags. So are you going to compete with your 2000.00 plus investment? Or are you just going to be the guy that says I have the best of everything but now I am not going to do anything with all the money in the sky. I just want the guys at the field to see that I have the best Sh*T! Bragging rights shouldn't have to be so hard on the pocket.

The bottom line gentlemen is, as far as quality goes... Sure EF is the better investment. But, I think Mr. Hinson was thinking about a competiting pilot when he not only designed the yak but also priced it.
Someone who would win contests, and get cash prizes. I don't think he had a normal Joe Schmo in mind who goes to the flying field once or twice a week in when he also priced it.

I am not knocking his product. Only the hype behind it. It's the same crap anywhere you go. I am happy with my kmp and also 500.00 richer and guess what? I went to airwild.com and I got my 28-35% wingbags for 79.99, and I still came out with a nice looking airplane that flys great.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:08 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

I hate to break the news to you but you wouldn't compete at the TOC level with an 87" plane. What does the competition record of the president of a company have to do with the quality of planes that company is producing anyways? You sound like you have a chip on your shoulder regarding this topic. People have given facts and opinions about the KMP Yak, if you are satisfied with it that's great, enjoy your plane. If you read Chris' post about the circumstances that KMP came to be distributing the Yak you'd have more insight to the comments about it.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:16 PM
tIANci

Craz - you are not very happy are you ... hehehe ... well you know what, to each their own ok. Some people are willing to pay and some are not. That should not get your undies in a twist. I think Mr Hinson rejected the goods for HIS own reasons, he wants the plane to be 100% as he designed it. I can tell you one thing ... Mr Hinson is not making USD300 per plane for sure (don't ask me how I know but I do for a fact) so its not about hype and making $$$. His planes MUST be that good to be sold out. Hype alone will not sell planes at that price for this long.

Just enjoy your KMP and let others enjoy their EF Yak.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:19 PM
3dking

As far as having a chip on my shoulder....I don't... Like I said earlier, I am not knocking the mans product. Never that. I am happy that he is producing airplanes for the general public. Who can afford them. I can't. And because my choice happens to be a KMP doesn't mean that I bought junk either. I just think, like you, shouldn't be so quick to judge another companies product. Just cause a person would prefer to drive a cadillac and not a chevrolet doesn't mean the chevrolet doesn't do the same thing as a caddy would do. A plane is a plane. As long as you take the necessary steps to build it right it will do the same thing a expensive plane will except with less money invested.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:40 PM
tIANci

Craz - I have not slagged any other plane, only thing I pointed out was the CMPro one was a little heavy. I have not judged the KMP dude ... I fly cheap planes and slightly expensive ones, for me as long as they fly well thats great. Like my Black Horse SU31, cheapo but well built and flies nice. Again, I am going to buy something nice like the EF Yak 87". Just that your post seems kinda hard and its got some slight overtures of not being pleased with the EF or its price.

I think we are all detracting from the post.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:05 PM
wgeffon

ORIGINAL: craZaboutplns

Everyones buying into the ''Hype'' of Extreme Flight.
I am one of the lucky ones who have flown this plane and know its not about the Hype.

I think Mr. Hinson was thinking about a competiting pilot when he not only designed the yak but also priced it.
Completely un true statement.
Do you know Chris?
Old 12-02-2004, 05:15 PM
Bryant330L
My Feedback: (126)

Hype Hype and more Hype.. I for one am so sick of hearing about Extreme flight and this mystery Yak that everybody loves but only a handful of people have ever seen. I don't have a dog in this fight at all, but I am tired of hearing this argument on every forum. I was on the list for the 87 but I got SICK of waiting and cancelled. I really like Chris and he puts out a good product. Sounds like he really got screwed by that factory. All the EF goupies keep talking about how crappy the KMP is. How many of you people have even seen this plane? Maybe the business ethics of the people that built these planes are terrible, but that doesnt mean the planes themselves are. The only reason I say this is because I have a buddy who bought a KMP 28% Edge at Toledo and he says it is one great flying airplane. He has flown his quite a bit and it is going strong so it can't be that bad. No matter how good the EF Yak turns out to be, it will never live up to the insane amount of hype that it has generated over the last 2 years.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:48 PM
wgeffon

Eric,

You couldnt be more wrong. I will prove it to you next time I see you. I will hand you my 10X, I will fire up the 50 that is attached to the Yak and you can have at it.

Business ethics?
Think about it. Do you think Chris would willingly lose as much money as he did over business ethics?
He walked away from a pile of junk airplanes that didnt live up to the prototypes that we had been flying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.