Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Ultra Stick 60 and 9C radio

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Ultra Stick 60 and 9C radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 12:48 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ultra Stick 60 and 9C radio

Of note, it looks like I'm going to need to go with either a Perry pump or a Cline regulator to get the idle reliable with the 12" of fuel tubing I'm using.
You might be correct with the pump requirement with your fuel tank on the CG, BUT, before you do that:

Have you completely adjusted the low-speed needle for idle? These engines come from the factory with the low-speed idle screw grossly adjusted for break-in. By the time I got mine adjusted for an awesome idle (~1800rpm) it took over 2 turns in. I also have a 16oz tank but it is right behind the firewall and there is no hint of a need for a pump.

Before I optimized my low-speed screw I had an engine that would pull up forever and transition flawlesslly but required a high idle to keep from stalling, greater than 3000rpm.
Old 08-11-2002, 02:50 PM
lynngordon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim, Have been working on adjusting the low end needle, but it is extremely sensitive at this point in the engine's break-in cycle.

When leaned enough to idle and transition well while level at 2400rpm, it will die out lean when I point the nose up. When richened up enough (1/8th turrn out from previous) not to die out at nose up, it then dies out rich when pointed down. Have to idle at about 3000 to keep it running, and that makes for real quick taxi and hot landings.

Will probably clear up with more break-in, but have had it die during taxi after landing a couple of times. It also spits enough to have kicked the prop loose during transition a couple of times, even double nutted - on the ground both times fortunately. Locktite seems to have cured that issue.

Thinking about trying a 2 oz header tank to see if that helps.

Lynn
Old 08-11-2002, 05:22 PM
Jay7318713-RCU

Default Too Much Voltage?

Ok i use 4.8v batterys if i hooked up would it go to 9.6 volts or is that too much voltage or it hooked in parellel?
Old 08-11-2002, 09:50 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Jay.....

If you used two battery packs, and two switches...both plugged into..or "y-ed' into the reciever.....you would have the same voltage....( 4.8 volts ) but twice the power ( amperage ).

That means the plane could fly twice as long....without needing to be re-charged. Having two battery systems is called "redundency". It's a safety factor...if there is a problem with one...the other one keeps on working.

You wouldn't even notice that there was a problem. Sometimes, due to vibration...a switch will lose connection....and power will be lost to the reciever. Soon after that happens...your plane will be in a trash bag.

So if you have a big plane with alot of servos....instead of using one big battery, you could use two smaller ones....and have the safety factor.
Dave.
Old 08-12-2002, 04:01 AM
Jay7318713-RCU

Would the twinstar be okay to use 2 batterys has 5 servos sometimes 6 and too os .40 engines??
Old 08-12-2002, 04:34 AM
Flyboy Dave

Default Jay....YES IT WOULD !!!!!

I just lost my Twin Star this spring due to a bad switch.
Was running two Magnum .40's....had about 12 flights.

I ordered another the next day....but won't have it up until the end of the year....next one will have the double system....the twins seem to cause extra vibration....

Good luck, and let me know how it's going....
Dave.
Old 08-12-2002, 05:46 AM
Jay7318713-RCU

wish i would of know about the two battery setup because i almost lost my twin do to the battery it was a bad one and how should i do the setup ? like plug Y connector in the battery slot or use a another channer to setup another swtich? because it was mention swiches shut off or lose connection?
Old 08-12-2002, 12:16 PM
hilleyja

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Jay7318713
wish i would of know about the two battery setup because i almost lost my twin do to the battery it was a bad one and how should i do the setup ? like plug Y connector in the battery slot or use a another channer to setup another swtich? because it was mention swiches shut off or lose connection?
Hook up both batteries to separate switches and Y-connect after the switches to your battery channel. OR Just hook up the extra battery/switch to an unused RX channel.
Old 11-25-2002, 02:53 AM
PaulFolbrecht

Default here's a twist...

I have an US 60 and new 9CAP which I'd like to get setup for crow (of course). Which I could do by following the instructions here- but... I am only a 7 channel RX. (I have no 8 ch RXs at all.. I bought the 9C TX-only.)

Can it be done??
Old 11-25-2002, 03:08 AM
Mikee-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Paul,
It can be done. You need to tie the flaps together with a wye connector and then program the TX just as you would for an eight channel reciever. The trick is channel eight still has to be programmed as if there was a servo connected to it. Your flaps wye will be connected to channel 7.
Mikee
Old 11-25-2002, 04:43 AM
PaulFolbrecht

Default makes sense!

Thanks.
Old 11-25-2002, 06:39 AM
Flyboy Dave

How does ch. 8 work on a 7 ch reciever ???
Old 11-25-2002, 01:14 PM
Mikee-RCU

It doesn't. The transmitter doesn't know your using a 7 channel reciever but for crow to work you need to use the 8th channel in the transmitter. Not sure if that's the right explanation. A buddy of mine used a 7 channel receiver on his Ultra Stick(Using quad Flaps) and the only way I could get his to work was to program the radio like you were using all 8 channels. It worked.
Mikee
Old 11-26-2002, 11:48 PM
DKflyer

Paul,

Seven channels are all that is needed. You only have seven servos, so a seven channel reciever will give full independent control of each one. Therefore, you can set up "crow", full span ailerons, etc. You only need to program the TX correctly (easier said than done!). You will not use a "y" connector as this would not allow independant control of each flap (eliminating the option of full span ailerons). Also, you will not use channel 8 on the TX, only 1 through 7.

DK
Old 11-27-2002, 12:08 AM
Mikee-RCU

I like that option better. Help us out and explain the programming. I tried a while back and gave up in frustration.
Mikee
Old 11-27-2002, 12:28 AM
PaulFolbrecht

Default DKflyer

I don't think I'm too concerned about full-span ailerons. If I can get crow I'll be happy. The instructions using the same channels as outlined by Futaba in their FAQ ("setting up complex 7-ch aerobats") with a Y- for the flaps seems pretty simple to me.

I'd try your method, since it obvious gives superior results (full-span ailerons), IF I knew exactly how to do it.. I don't.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:36 AM
Flyboy Dave

Mikey....I can't help you on the 9C, don't have one.
Old 11-29-2002, 12:25 AM
pminmo
My Feedback: (4)

What kind of servo's are people using on their US60's. Quad flap setup?
Old 11-29-2002, 04:02 AM
PaulFolbrecht

Default servos

I have Hitec 425s all around except for a 545 on the rudder.

(I have pull-pull setups on elevator & rudder with the servos mounted externally in the rear of the fuse.)

Can't tell you how it flies yet-- that will probably have to wait till spring.