Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Panel Lines on ARF, How?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Panel Lines on ARF, How?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 11:00 AM
mickey-gem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panel Lines on ARF, How?

Hello, I want to draw panel lines and other detail markings on my H9 P-51 Mustang .60.
I have never done this before. I purchased a Top Flight Panel line marker and the Top Flight
rivet and panel line template.

I guess my main question is if I need to clear coat the plane after I finish all the markings?
There are no detailed intructions with the marker or suggestions.

By the way this Mustang is Electric, so I do not have to worry about the effects of fuel.

Kind Regards,

Jesse
Old 01-19-2006, 04:23 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Panel Lines on ARF, How?

If the covering is plastic (MonoKote or similar), you'll need to clearcoat the panel lines, or they'll smear and rub off from handling. You can use Top Flite LustreCote, but just mist the first couple of coats. If you apply it too heavily, the panel lines will run. If you use Flat clear, it will dull the gloss of the cover, which IMO looks better on a warbird, or you can use the gloss clearcoat .
Old 01-19-2006, 04:55 PM
mickey-gem

Thank you very much for the information and suggestions, I greatly appreciate it.

Kind Regards,

Jesse
Old 01-20-2006, 05:35 PM
Meschmidt
My Feedback: (15)

Here is a panel lined and weathered ARF done by Sharpie markers and pencil. Covering is the original Ultracote. Lot of time involved but worth it! More pictures in my gallery. Paul
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51791.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	391675  
Old 01-20-2006, 06:19 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Very nice Paul! What di U use to spray it to fuel-proof it?
Old 01-22-2006, 05:50 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never owned an ARF, but I have a question... Why would you want to detail someone elses work?
Old 01-22-2006, 04:25 PM
DrDeath
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is called personalization! Some people like to have their planes look a little different then others at the field. I don't want to get into the ARF vs Build argument, but what is an arf anyway? Someone else has framed up a plane for you and you have the right to finish it any way you want. I have a friend that had someone frame up a Zirolli F-4U and he finished it up: glassed, paint, weathering etc, so isn't that an ARC? I have another fiend who scratch builds and will also customize ARFs with glassing and weathering. Some people who don't build but like to finish, some don't like to finish but build. Some people will buy someone else's plane and strip them down and recover and fix them. The great thing about this hobby is everyone has their own idea and opinion on their plane.

So, please with all due respect don't start with the "Why would you want to detail someone elses work?" comments

Nuff Said

DD
Old 01-22-2006, 05:11 PM
SpitfireMKI
My Feedback: (2)

In support:

You can buy a canvas and paint it, you can stretch your own canvas and paint it or you can buy a painting, already painted ! That's the great thing about our little world, we have choices !

Back on subject:

I'm in the midst of trying to figure out how to panel line my new KMP Spitty. I don't want to make a huge project out of this as my partially started Yellow spit will be jealous. I was thinking to run some tape where the line goes, run a pencil down the edge and then clear coat it in. I think those pens tend to be too black and look like what they are, black lines drawn on a surface. Using something a little gray simulates darkness of the line but is not so bold it looks fake. Though a pencil would be hard to use on regular monokote !

S1

Oh yeah, here's my TF MKIII Arf
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27210.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	392897  
Old 01-22-2006, 05:46 PM
TCBLightning
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: balsabandit

I have never owned an ARF, but I have a question... Why would you want to detail someone elses work?

For the same reason people deck out their motorcycles, cars etc. in aftermarket chrome and accessories. Should model airplanes be any different?
Old 01-22-2006, 06:33 PM
mimoore67
My Feedback: (51)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mr. BalsaBandit:

I take a littel exception on people who buy and fly ARF's. Many people enjoy this hobby, and some of us have other resposibilities that don't afford the time to build kits or from scratch. As a Teacher, Husband, a father of two and Graduate student I don't have the time to give to the hobby I love. ARF's have progressively gotten better and better over the years. Some of the better ARF's out there can be detailed out and improved, to rival some the kits I have built over the years.

ARF's serve a purpose. I would argue, they may have saved this hobby, buy allowing people to get into the air quicker and be sucessful sooner, without the time and effort of building a kit. Hopefully people who come into this hobby will explore all fascets of this wonderfull hobby and build kits also!
Old 01-23-2006, 01:13 PM
MustangFan

Cut narrow strips of covering material with the TF Tool and iron them on.
Sounds hard ... but ain't !
Old 01-23-2006, 01:32 PM
DrDeath
My Feedback: (3)

Looks like balsabandit has had a little bit of a change of heart

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_38...tm.htm#3812510
Old 01-23-2006, 03:31 PM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Balsabandit suffers from a common misconception that building from a kit puts him or her on a different, somehow better plane then those who assemble ARFs. You do what your time and skills allow to arrive at your own personal level of enjoyment in this hobby. I wish these guys would climb off their high horse, especially when they are merely assembling a kit made and designed by somebody else. If you truly want to impress, draw your own plans, cut your own balsa and COMPLETELY build a scale classic from scratch. Of course at this point you are still just copying some else's design. Just relax and enjoy and let people do their own thing no matter what the level of prefabrication might be. We should all be thankful there are so many of us with common interests.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:37 AM
Crash1976

It is called personalization! Some people like to have their planes look a little different then others at the field. I don't want to get into the ARF vs Build argument, but what is an arf anyway? Someone else has framed up a plane for you and you have the right to finish it any way you want. I have a friend that had someone frame up a Zirolli F-4U and he finished it up: glassed, paint, weathering etc, so isn't that an ARC? I have another fiend who scratch builds and will also customize ARFs with glassing and weathering. Some people who don't build but like to finish, some don't like to finish but build. Some people will buy someone else's plane and strip them down and recover and fix them. The great thing about this hobby is everyone has their own idea and opinion on their plane.
I guess everyone's got thier thing. Some of the guys in my club are gear heads and build ARFs because they spend so much time building an engine they want to get it in the air ASAP. Others Love the frameing process. Me personally I love to build but I love to modify and customize too. Choices, Yea USA!

Crash
Old 02-01-2006, 02:04 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: MANFRED

Balsabandit suffers from a common misconception that building from a kit puts him or her on a different, somehow better plane then those who assemble ARFs. You do what your time and skills allow to arrive at your own personal level of enjoyment in this hobby. I wish these guys would climb off their high horse, especially when they are merely assembling a kit made and designed by somebody else. If you truly want to impress, draw your own plans, cut your own balsa and COMPLETELY build a scale classic from scratch. Of course at this point you are still just copying some else's design. Just relax and enjoy and let people do their own thing no matter what the level of prefabrication might be. We should all be thankful there are so many of us with common interests.
Manfred, You are absolutely correct in your assessment. But I in fact, do draw my own plans, cut my own wood and build and fly my designs (game, set and match) aah, you are right, I wuz just feelin my wheaties, but i do my own designs, and yes, it gives me much personal satisfaction. I finally did try an ARF, and when I finish doing the assembly work, it will be for sale.