Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 08:10 AM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

ORIGINAL: tazzzz

Ive got a G-38 in mine Cant wait for the maiden. BTW,, I read where someone mounted a fuselage landing gear, do you know who it was? Id like to get a picture of that ,sounds like the way to go.
I have built a couple of the Super Sportster 90/120's from kit, and I always mounted the gear forward of the wing. This always seemed to work out well. The problem you are going to have tazzzz with the Giant SS ARF is that you don't need anymore weight moved forward with a G38 mounted on the nose. I have a G38 on my Giant SS ARF as well and it pulls the Plane around great, but it is on the heavy side and moving the gear forward is only going to make matters worse. About the only way I could move the gear forward on mine is if I switched my G38 over to Electronic Ignition, or otherwise I would be adding another good chunck of lead to the tail to get it to balance. Let me know if you try it and how it works, but I do think you will find it hard to balance if you shift anymore weight forward.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:16 AM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea ,I thought of that,,I had to add 8oz to the tail to make it right, cause that engine is a little heavy, Ill probably reinforce the gear that I have, have to think about that one. Thanks--TAZZZZ
Old 01-29-2008, 08:34 AM
ckangaroo70

Well mine has around 8oz in the tail as well, but don't feel to glum about that heavy G38 because it really is a good engine on the Giant SS and that big ole thick wing don't seem to mind the extra weight at all. In fact it may even help it some as a really light Giant SS would be almost impossible to bring down due to the fact that they are a bit of a floater anyhow. Mine flys great, and is easy to land. I would just recommend adding a bit more epoxy to those landing gear blocks in the wing. Whoever made the Plane for Great Planes wanted to save 2 cents by only putting a thimbles worth of epoxy on each side. Really goop the stuff in there. Like I said, the Giant SS is not going to be no 3D machine and with all that lift and good design a little extra weight isnt going to hurt a thing. You can be out there flying on those windy days when the others guys with there feather light giant machines are worried about getting blown away!LOL
Old 01-29-2008, 08:47 AM
tazzzz

thanks,, although, Ive been thinking (can youfeel the heat)? Imight just try the fuse gear after all because Im going to the dual pack 6v system,so I can off-set the balance with the batteries,,I meant to ask you,,,what main gear did you use on yours, what plane was it from? TAZZZZ[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 01-29-2008, 08:54 AM
ckangaroo70

Well the Super Sportster 90/120's were a bit smaller than the Giant SS ARF's we currently have, but for them I used the replacement gear from a Hangar 9 Funtana 90. I think the Giant SS would probally require something a bit larger and stouter. If a guy had the extra cash to spend, maybe a nice Carbon Fiber set from some place like Troy Built Models would work well. I know Troy Built has a nice set of Carbon Fiber Wheel Pants I have been saving for!LOL
Old 01-29-2008, 05:53 PM
SBrian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I thought you guys might like the looks of these semi custom landing gears made from a GP Super Stearman that went down in flames last season. I cut the center out to reduce the width then molded the upper portion of the gear to contour the wings and fuselage. Let me know what you think.

Best regards

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10422.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	864751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87008.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	864752  
Old 01-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Bretd123

i want an engine for my giant super sportster and dont know weather to go with gas or glow. what are the ups and downs of these engines. i heard gas is much cheaper to run than glow. if i go with gas would a Fuji Imvac BT-32B 32cc Gas Engine be a good choice or are there better options? Zenoah? Is a gas engine going to be more reliable? would a dx 7 work with a gas engine?
Old 01-29-2008, 07:17 PM
tazzzz

SBrian,,outstanding job man,,,I only wiah I had your patience,,,Im really not that creative,,,some of the time maybe.

what did you mean by cutting out the center?Im not quite sure I understood. Would you let me know how you did that?

appreciate it TAZZZZ
Old 01-29-2008, 08:17 PM
SBrian

The Super Stearmans landing gear is a one piece unit. Cut the gear in half so you have a left and a right and remove about a ½†from each half near the center line to fit the fuselage. The original gear is too wide for the SS fuselage. I spent about an hour and half on bodywork and with paint the total time oh about 4hrs.

The gear is recessed in the fuselage about ½†to hide the bolts.

Steve
Old 01-30-2008, 12:51 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: ckangaroo70

ORIGINAL: tazzzz

Ive got a G-38 in mine Cant wait for the maiden. BTW,, I read where someone mounted a fuselage landing gear, do you know who it was? Id like to get a picture of that ,sounds like the way to go.
I have built a couple of the Super Sportster 90/120's from kit, and I always mounted the gear forward of the wing. This always seemed to work out well. The problem you are going to have tazzzz with the Giant SS ARF is that you don't need anymore weight moved forward with a G38 mounted on the nose. I have a G38 on my Giant SS ARF as well and it pulls the Plane around great, but it is on the heavy side and moving the gear forward is only going to make matters worse. About the only way I could move the gear forward on mine is if I switched my G38 over to Electronic Ignition, or otherwise I would be adding another good chunck of lead to the tail to get it to balance. Let me know if you try it and how it works, but I do think you will find it hard to balance if you shift anymore weight forward.

-------------

Just curious, Changaroo, do you have your receiver battery behind the wing in the fuselage? Building a battery box back there is very easy and can help ease the nose heavy problem. I've done this when powering forty sized model with a sixty sized engine way back when. Works for me.

Ed Cregger
Old 01-30-2008, 02:49 AM
Kostas1

Best setup i've ever seen so far!

+1[X(]
Old 01-30-2008, 08:15 AM
tazzzz

Looks good, what is the distance between the wheels (wheel base) TAZZZZ
Old 02-01-2008, 04:01 AM
Delta3

The Saito 180 is a good engine but here in australia they are expensive. The better option is the OS 200 fs with a 18-8 prop. A bloke at our club put a 160 gemini twin cyl and it flies terific. Also the under carriage assembly is very stiff for a large model. A mate of mine is an engineer and he designed and built a custom undercarriage that was perfect.
With the colour contrast go to your local pinstriper or signwriter and get some black sticky covering. Make your strips 2 inches wide and space them 4 in apart
Old 02-01-2008, 08:23 AM
tazzzz

Canyou forward a picture of the fabricated undercarraige, I sure would like to see it and Im sure that it would be interesting for others to view also

Thanks TAZZZZ
Old 02-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Marine_S7

I ended up using a slim line muffler and mounting the engine on its side, looks great and very easy to work on, glo-plug is a breeze, the engine with the OS 1.60 has unlimitided vertical with a 18X8 prop very clean plane, I messed around and belive week servoes is the main reason for the flutter, this plane needs a good rudder and elevator servo, over 70 oz, I am using 2741 at 120 oz and no probems at all, I do get a bit of speed going returning from a vertical clime, it just dosent quit, as a added measure I went with the tail wires, now over this winter I am going back and adding plywood peices under the wires so the screws dont pull any more, they just get sloppy in the stab, I use a screw and a nylock nut works great but the hole does get a bit loose over time, just add some thin plywood under their to reinforce it and all is great, this plane is very stable, it is awsome for the old school manovers,
have fun and keep the rubber side down.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:45 PM
bhorton
My Feedback: (26)

Anyone with experience with a OS 1.60 twin give me their opinion of it on this plane? Or the new Saito 36 gas engine?
Old 02-18-2008, 08:29 PM
SBrian

Well as you read through the postings, I don't believe anybody has tried those yet. The only thing stopping you is fear and common sense... And we pilots usually run out of the common sense when it comes to powering our planes.

If I already had one of those engines, I would certainly try to stuff one in the SS. I believe the Saito 36 G is a little on the pricey side for the amount of power you would receive, and the twin 160 would require a large amount of cowl cutting to make the 160 twin fit.

Me, I managed to squeeze a Moki/Mark 1.80G under the cowl with a Pit muffler. Most use the Fuji 32 but need to add 8oz of weight to the tail because of the weight of the Fuji.

Well good luck!

Steve
Old 02-18-2008, 09:44 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

I have a Brillelli 46cc gas in my Super Sportster and I can tell you that it has PLENTY of power. I don't typically like to over power my planes but this may change my opinion. This engine allows the Super Sportster to fly like it should: quick and agile!

Brian
Old 02-19-2008, 10:57 AM
foresterxt
My Feedback: (35)

I'm going to start assembling my SS sometime next week. It's getting a cheapy CRRC 45cc V3 since that's all I've got (first gasser). Fireman7875, how much weight did you have to add to the tail to balance her out?

Dave

Old 02-19-2008, 01:08 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

No weight added to the tail. I had to add weight to the nose. Let me back up a little... I got my SS from the Tower Scratch and Dent sale and the covering was damaged. I stripped mine and re-covered it in Sig Koveral and paint. This added considerable weight and I don't know how much that affected the balance. The plane came out to about 16 lbs but you can't tell it by flying it. It still handles great. I am not sure if you'll have to add any weight to the tail or not.

Brian
Old 02-19-2008, 06:46 PM
JR16

Im putting the fugi 32b, the one with out the EI, in my plane and it looks like im going to have to add "about" 12 ounces to the tail after i move the reciver battery to balance it. what s the best way to do this? Ive added weight to planes before but never this much. Im thinking aboput taking the servos out setting the weights on the botton of the tail and dropping epoxy in to hold them down, anyone else have another suggestion?
Old 02-19-2008, 09:16 PM
SBrian

That sounds like alot of lead in the ass...
Old 02-29-2008, 09:35 AM
rceric

Engine decision time is here. I want to use my Tower $30 coupon that expires today:

I am torn between either the OS 160Fx or the Fuji BT-32EI

The way I see it is this:

The Fuji is $50 more plus the expense of the gas conversion.
The Fuji is however much cheaper to run
The Fuji is almost one pound heavier
The Fuji provides less HP 2.2 vs. 3.7 and at a higher RPM than the OS
The Fuji will keep my plane cleaner

I have never bought a gas engine before so I am of course leaning towards the familier OS engine. The other thing I don't know is what type of care these engines require after being run or when being stored for the winter.

Any last minute reasons why I should or shouldn't go gas over the nitro would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric
Old 02-29-2008, 09:44 AM
frenchie79

Go with the Gas-Check on a rebate or discount on the 32-I think I seen one for that model. I have it in mine, only gasser i have and it's great. The plane will never be anything more than a nice flying, stable and good looking plane no matter what engine you put on it. The gas just sounds and runs to cool. A 12 oz tank lasts a long time-imho
Old 02-29-2008, 09:53 AM
rceric

So the extra HP and lighter waight is not necessary?

What type of care does the Fuji require after-run and storage?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.