Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 06:41 PM
1080tommy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 Corsair

I just ordered a Hangar 9 Corsair and was looking for some advice. I'm thinking of running a SAITO 1.00 with a scale 3 bladed prop. I was thinking about building a Top Flight kit but did not think I was ready for a build of that magnitude so I figured the ARF Corsair would be a good choice. I was wondering with this engine and plane combo, how critical is it to reinforce the wing and firewall. I have heard mostly good things about this plane but the firewall and wing issues concern me. I currently fly the Mustang PTS and am doing very well. I still go out with an instructor and I am not planning on completing the Corsair for a few months hopefully with all of the hours I am logging, by july or august the Corsair will be maidened. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 05-04-2006, 07:49 PM
starguard

Default RE: Hangar 9 Corsair

I too have the Hanger 9 Corsair (thats still sitting in the box). Many people that I've seen post here stated that they all ran with the Saito 1.00. The only problem (for me) is that those Saito engines all run in the BIG BUCKS While considering the gms .76 engine which is far cheaper than the Saito brand, I was also thinking that THIS one might give it a litle more kick as well

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...?&I=LXDXM5&P=ML

I'm still waiting for someone that knows more about these motors to chime in on this with some info that will help the both of us
Old 05-04-2006, 09:21 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: starguard

I too have the Hanger 9 Corsair (thats still sitting in the box). Many people that I've seen post here stated that they all ran with the Saito 1.00. The only problem (for me) is that those Saito engines all run in the BIG BUCKS While considering the gms .76 engine which is far cheaper than the Saito brand,

I think you'll find that you get what you pay for. I have no personal experience with GMS engines, but from all the posts I've read dissing them, I don't think I want any. OTOH, I have 6 Saitos, including a 1.00, and they're all worth every buck I paid for them. The 4-stroke will allow a larger diameter prop, and the 1.00 is a great match for the Corsair. H-9 really has their s*** together as far as their planes go. I don't think you need to reinforce anything just for the sake of the engine, but if the PTS is all the "warbird" experience you have, then the Corsair might get a bit beat up. The H-9 planes are relatively easy flying warbirds, but they ain't trainers.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:35 PM
1080tommy

Thanks for the info. I will definitely take it slow when it comes to the first flight of the Corsair. I have been flying parkflyers with good success and the PTS also. The reason I'm getting the Corsair is to get my feet wet with building. I would love to complete a top flight kit at some point. I have heard nothing but good things about the SAITO 1.00 and will go with that engine. I think I may do something with the gear also. Maybe robarts???? I will have to see how much money I am willing to sink into this plane.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:50 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

There's a huge thread on this model with probably every question you could think of having been talked about. Right now it's just a few subjects up from yours...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1141201/tm.htm
Old 05-05-2006, 06:59 AM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

The Hangar 9 Corsair in my opinion is NOT a second plane. I have one with a Saito 100 and it flies great, but I have been flying for 6 years and have over 20 planes. That translates into a lot of practice, the Corsair will fly nothing like your PTS. Read the big thread on this plane and do your homework. You should reinforce the firewall, wing joints and landing gear area. The stock mechanical retracts are somewhat troublesome. I changes mine to CJM air retracts and they work flawlessly.

I agree with the above statement that you get what you pay for, save up for the Saito instead of putting a cheap motor in. Do the mods and you will have a great plane.

R/C Foolish
Old 05-05-2006, 11:29 PM
AQ500

The high altitude set up.....Saito 120. Mine needed the extra weight up front anyways. More than 2 years old and still flying.

I would wait to fly this one for a while. I would recommend getting more stick time and possibly the global 25 size Me 109. If you can fly that one, you will have little worries with the Corsair. I recommended that to a buddy of mine and it saved him hundreds of dollars.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99750.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	456683  
Old 05-31-2006, 08:27 AM
Nitrodan73
My Feedback: (12)

My Corsair is my 3rd airplane and it does take some work to land properly. I just hate those dang retracts! They are junk! The bellcrank keeps ratcheting the screw out and the gear folds on me about every 5th landing. i tried using threadlock but no go. I am going to buy another wing and get some CJ retracts.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:20 AM
Nitrodan73

Alright, does anyone know where I can get some cheaper air rotating retracts for this H9 corsair? CJ retract prices are out of this world! Does robart make any rotating retracts? I have looked and looked but noone has anything in my range. I don't wanna be cheap but don't wanna blow my hobby funds for the next 6 months either. Please help!
Old 06-17-2006, 10:56 AM
steff5l6

ORIGINAL: Nitrodan73

Alright, does anyone know where I can get some cheaper air rotating retracts for this H9 corsair? CJ retract prices are out of this world! Does robart make any rotating retracts? I have looked and looked but noone has anything in my range. I don't wanna be cheap but don't wanna blow my hobby funds for the next 6 months either. Please help!
...and a full h9 corsair ready to flight with a saito 100... wich weight?... because i m looking for robart on ebay and it s for 3-6Kg ... thanks
Old 06-17-2006, 12:30 PM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Do the mods thats suggested ,firewall,wings and replace the retracts .Sorry I don't know of any cheap air retracts ,again you get what you pay for .Your going to be better off to maybe wait to fly it while you save some to get the better gear .Honest its a very sick feeling to land a plane only to have the gear fold and scrape it all up.
That plane fies ok and is a floater when it comes to landings .
Just my 2 cents
Old 06-17-2006, 02:38 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My Hangar 9 F2G-2 Super Corsair with supercharged YS 110FZ and Sierra rotating retracts:

--> [link=http://www.warbirdobsession.com/h9_f2g_corsair/videos/h9_f2g.wmv]VIDEO[/link]

Yes, please do reinforce the firewall and the gull bends in the wing.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:00 AM
Pit-Viper 1

Where did you get this Corsair at? H9 does'nt have anything like this. Also wondering if you have a pic. of the motor with the supercharger on it?

Thanks Shane
Old 06-26-2006, 10:28 AM
steff5l6

hello, i m looking for a wing joiner for my hangar 9 corsair, but i can only find a set with 2 new wings, and i m not intersted by 2 more wings. Do you think is possible,ans where to found it? thanks
steff from Paris
Old 06-26-2006, 11:02 AM
Richard L.

ORIGINAL: Pit-Viper 1

Where did you get this Corsair at? H9 does'nt have anything like this. Also wondering if you have a pic. of the motor with the supercharger on it?
This plane was modified from the stock H9 Corsair. All YS four strokes are supercharged.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:12 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Richard, that is NOT your average, run of the mill, ARF.

Beautiful job.

Scott
Old 06-26-2006, 11:26 AM
Pit-Viper 1

Very nice indeed, DId not know that about the YS motors. That explains alot. [8D]

Thanks Shane
Old 06-29-2006, 10:00 PM
redneckteddy103

steff

call horzion obby and they can get you a pair of what your looking for
Old 06-30-2006, 03:55 AM
steff5l6

ORIGINAL: redneckteddy103

steff

call horzion obby and they can get you a pair of what your looking for
i have allready call tham,but only set wing is avaible,not only joiner (((
Old 07-04-2006, 04:05 PM
1080tommy

Well I finally am maidening my Corsair tomorrow. It is supposed to be really nice so hopefully all goes well. Here are some pics. I built the plane basically as per the manual accept for the balance point. I balanced it at 4.25 inches behind the leading edge because Richard L. put up a post and several other people said the plane did not fly well with the cg at 5 inches like the manual said. The pics won't upload, I do not know why. I have never had a problem before. Oh well, I had her out last weekend and ground checked and tested the ground handling. The plane to my surprize ground handles good with the stock mechanical retracts. I got it as fast as to get the tail off the grund and never even came close to nosing over.

Tom
Old 07-04-2006, 04:17 PM
Richard L.

You can also try setting the CG at 4.5" behind the leading edge. The plane will also fly great at that value.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:36 PM
1080tommy

Thanks Richard. You really seem to have a lot of good knowledge about building, and all of your planes look awsome. I am new to this hobby and have followed your advice closely on the build of my Corsair I appreciate all of the input you and the rest of the people put out there for us newer fliers. I'm really hoping the stock retracts hold up I know there are some issues there but so far the plane is a lot better then people give it credit for. Some guys have even said I should throw the plane away because the ground handling is so ad. I don't know about that because as I said I had it fast enough to get the tail off the ground and no nose over or even close to it. I'll find out tomorrow when we actually get this bird in the air. Thanks again for all of the information on this and other planes.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95025.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	487234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22853.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	487235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55012.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	487236  
Old 07-04-2006, 11:14 PM
dmyers0403
My Feedback: (48)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Just finished one that I have had for two plus years. I called Horizon about replacement links for the retracts. They sent new links and also added a new complete set of gears. The older set was very sloppy even after adjustments were made. The new set is very solid with good smooth operation compared to older set. I hope this proves to be good in flying as I do not want to add cost to kit. We will see, good luck on your maiden flite.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:48 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Tommy, congrats on your new Corsair, I wish the best on its maiden.
I have flown the Royal, TF, Great Planes, and PICA Corsairs, and one thing about the Hose Nose, is that is flies like a "Brick with wings" without power. You have chosen a very dependable engine, however, before you attempt to fly your corsair, I would practice with the Mustang cutting the power and keeping the wings level. Practice deadsticks as well and get a feel of how it reacts. That plane will be much more forgiving than the Corsair, for a Corsair will stall and snap well before you will ever have time for your instructor to recover, even on a buddy cord.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:07 PM
smokingtommy

what would you guys sergest for a good engine for this plane ?
thanks for any help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.