Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Wingo

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 02:32 PM
GeorgefromVT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wingo

I am thinking of buying a WINGO and wanted to know what others think of it. I am looking for a good electric powered plane which as glider like capabilites in thermals but also one I can put floats on for some good lake RC action. Does the WINGO really fly as well as the manufactorer boasts and how long are the flight times?
Old 12-23-2002, 03:44 PM
DominicM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Wingo no no

Guy had one at our club, and it was very underpowered, very flimsy and not much fun to fly. Go for one of the Multiplex electric models. http://www.multiplexrc.com/planes.htm.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:48 PM
GeorgefromVT

Default WINGO

Thanks for the reply. I have been flying for 15 years and have learned not to believe all the glowing reviews from the manufactorers.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:30 PM
Peter Y

Default Wingo

I had a Soarstar which I think is better value - same plane as Wingo but with geared drive instead of direct drive (and cheaper). It's a nice plane, but I got a bit tired of it. It is very light with a huge wing, so flies great, but best in calm weather. Glides very slowly. It depends on what sort of flying you like doing. I had a small disposable camera strapped to front - lots of people use them for aerial photography (especially with Aiptek pencam digitals)

I traded it recently on a cermark New Timer - nice fibreglass fuselage and built up wing and tail. Direct drive 480 motor. I haven't made it up yet (sitting under Christmas tree) but others say it flies great - good thermalling. Can't put floats on it though.

Hope this helps.

Peter
Old 12-23-2002, 10:42 PM
Glitch

Default Wingo

Hi Peter Y
Merry Christmas from another modeler in Brisvegas, Oz
Old 12-23-2002, 10:57 PM
pdansalvish
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wingo

Hi,

I had both the Wingo and the Soarstar. I had no problems with the Wingo it flew fine as stock. As for the Soarstar I had to feed 1/8th rudder to get it to fly straight (messed up somewhere in the building.) The Soarstar finally met its demise when a friend flew it through a jagger bush. Styro and 1 inch thorns don't mesh too well. I sold the wingo last year to buy GWS Zero. I would suggest you check out ezonemag.com and do a couple of searches.

But either plane would work fine. Just remender neither plane is a high power plane. You have to fly off the wing not the engine. If you want more power Hobby-Lobby does offer an engine upgrade for the wingo. I had a blast with both and have toyed with getting another one just to float around or I might try the GWS Beaver.