Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Gp Pitts I Got One--see The Pics

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Gp Pitts I Got One--see The Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 03:20 PM
AJF 2
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gp Pitts I Got One--see The Pics

The biggest and best ARF I have owned to date, and I have had a bunch. The finish is as good as my Yellow Aircraft Extra. Covering needs NO ATTENTION AT ALL! It is BIG. For reference that is a ZDZ 40 in the cockpit for power.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2330_1857.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	2329  
Old 02-05-2002, 03:21 PM
AJF 2

The engine gets lost in the cowl------baffelling is a must!!!!

Name:	2331_1857.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	2330  
Old 02-05-2002, 03:28 PM
AJF 2

My only complaint is the cabanes are held to the fuse with wood screws and small wood blocks in the fuse. Trim on canopy is painted to match. The interplane strutts are composite (fiberglass) material and strong. I reminds me a LOT of my Cermark Pitts with the fuse framing--strong and light! Notice the aluminum spinner. I would like to say more but I just don't type fast enough. VERY LIGHT AND STRONG!!! CAN'T WAIT TO FLY IT!

Name:	2332_1857.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	2331  
Old 02-05-2002, 03:35 PM
ROGER RUSSELL
My Feedback: (12)

Default ON ORDER!

AJF 2
I too have one, ON ORDER that is from a LHS, how long ago did you order yours. Looks great and sounds even better, lets keep this thread going to compare NOTES, etc...
RORO
Old 02-05-2002, 03:37 PM
AJF 2

Got mine from the LHS also. He seems to always be the first to get things.
Old 02-05-2002, 04:46 PM
maverick

We had somebody put the first flight on their Cermark Pitts at our field this last weekend. It looked great in the air.

What is the size of the GP version compared to the Cermark?

I have heard not so great things about the Cermark, let's hope the GP version doesn't have any problems.

Also definitely keep this thread going. I am very interested also.
Old 02-05-2002, 05:18 PM
AJF 2

MUCH BIGGER-- It is only 8" wingspan difference but boy is the fuse a lot bigger(wider and longer). It sure does look a lot larger than the Cermark----(may it rest in peace)
Old 02-05-2002, 05:33 PM
Mendes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good! I can't believe how big the fuse is...I was planning on building a Pitts from Hostetler plans but this is very interesting. Decisions decisions...
Old 02-05-2002, 06:59 PM
ROGER RUSSELL

Default Just checked LHS

Called LHS and he checked with GP, hopefully mine will be shipped on or around Feb 8???
AJF 2, is that the engine your are planning to use, what are your other components going to be, TX RX Servos, etc...
RORO
Old 02-06-2002, 05:12 PM
AJF 2

The ZDZ 40 is the engine of choice in this case. I think a BME 44 would be great also. The engine. GP recommends is a US 41 for gas but I just can't see that on a performance plane. Lot of weight for a little performance on a light airframe(just don't make sense to me). Servos are a combo of Multiplex Royal and Profi on Ailiron and elevator with HiTech Digital on rudder.-- JR receiver with Multipex Cockpit Trans. Have yet to decide on a prop.
Old 02-06-2002, 05:47 PM
magnum

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AHh Glad I decided to look in this forum.

I am considering getting one of these as my first bipe. The pictures give a better idea of the size engine you can use.

Hmmm. I wonder if one of these G-62's would fit.. Nah just kidding.

Let us know how the kit builds. From the pics on the site, it looks like a lot to assemble at the field.
Old 02-06-2002, 07:52 PM
Taildragger
My Feedback: (204)

Default Pitts

I WAAAAAAANT ONE!
Old 02-06-2002, 08:18 PM
AndySteere
My Feedback: (2)

AJF 2,

I'm looking forward to your report on how it balances with that engine. I've thought about the same combination ever since this ARF was announced.

It would be a shame if you have to add a pound of lead in the nose to make it balance. If it does... then the RCS 44cc twin might be an interesting option. It looks like it would fit the cooling vents of the cowl very scale-like and still provide more power than a US41.

Let us know!

Andy Steere
http://astro.umsystem.edu/andy/rc/
Old 02-06-2002, 09:17 PM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Won't this plane work well with a OS 1.6 FX too?
RP
Old 02-06-2002, 10:11 PM
maverick

One of the ads I have seen shows what looks like an OS 1.60FX mounted sideways with a Pitts style muffler. The throttle servo is also located inside the cowl. It looks big enough that only the tips of the muffler would be showing.

What about a BGX-1?

A little bit heavier to help the balance and not right at the bottom of the size range!
Old 02-06-2002, 10:12 PM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

Default Gas engine?

Looks great AJF 2, but I don't think you should mount the engine in the cockpit, or on the back of the cowl, I'd stick with the plans.

I'm very tempted to get one of these and I'd definitely go gas. If GP is saying 14-16 pounds you can count on the reality being at least 15-17lbs. And don't forget the drag of a biplane. It sounds like gas all the way to me. In fact I'd run a hot 50cc; Taurus 2.6 or 3.2, BME 50, Brison 3.2, or ZDZ40....though I think the 50's will turn out to be the best match for this plane.

If you don't know about the Taurus, and if you're looking for a great gas engine that is kind of a sleeper because it's one of the best kept secrets around, look at the Taurus 2.6 or 3.2. Check out the Taurus price thread in the Giant Engines forum for a bunch of info on them. Their Web site is www.taurus-engines.net. The site is a bit out of date, and doesn't even show the 2.6 or have a price list...but that's posted in the thread I mentioned. (BTW, I heard Taurus is in the process of totally re-working their site)

Bill
Old 02-06-2002, 10:16 PM
AJF 2

The OS 1.6 was one of the recommended engines. This was one of the puzzling aspects of the recommended engines. What I mean is there is a LOT OF DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE OS 1.6 AND THE US 41! (the US41 is well over 4 lbs)The picture of the OS 1.6 in the manual looks very strange to see such a small engine attached to such a large plane. I don't second guess the power to weight ratio- only the weight difference between the 2 engines.
Old 02-06-2002, 10:25 PM
bpryor

Default OS 1.60

>>I don't second guess the power to weight ratio- only the weight difference between the 2 engines.

I actually think you'd be right to second guess the power to weight ratio. If one of these ends of on the far side of 15 lbs with the OS, it won't be a pig, but it won't exactly be spectacular.

Also, it might be a small point, but how do you think a 16-18" prop is going to look on this plane? Yuck.

Bill
Old 02-06-2002, 11:03 PM
AJF 2

A 16-18" prop would look a lot better than a 12" prop anyway--as far as the airframe goes, I am sure it will be very light. As I remember this is about the same size as the Byron Pitts, isn't it? It has been a while since I have seen one, but I remember them about 70" wingspan and they ran a G-62 and were in the 22-24lb. range. Any of you Byron owners know how they compare?
Old 02-06-2002, 11:08 PM
Dazzler
My Feedback: (6)

Hey man, nice plane. I thought about buying one, but wasnt sure about a big bipe, but it looks great, and I APPLAUD you on your engine selection. That should be one awesome Setup. I'm sure you will have alot of flyers at your feild drueling at the mouths. Dazzler!!!\
Old 02-06-2002, 11:18 PM
bpryor

Default Byron Pitts

Well AJF 2, I owned a Byron Pitts, and that's why this one intrigues me. It ought to be a bunch better plane. I had mine in the late '70s, so I'm afraid my senile brain can't help you with many particulars. I first had a gas motor (I don't remember what it was or what size, but there were no Zenoahs back then) in it at the time, and what a dog, then I sprung for the recommended setup, byro-drive reduction unit with a Rossi .61 on a pipe. The thing screamed and actually flew really well. It think it had a 24" prop on it. The demise of the plane was when one of the servo wires rubbed against the tuned pipe in the fuse and shorted it out. No plane anymore, just Styrofoam peanuts...though the guy I gave it to glued it back together and flew it for ages.

Bill
Old 02-06-2002, 11:50 PM
RCJones

How do you think a Saito 300 twin would do on this plane?
Old 02-07-2002, 12:26 AM
FilipM

I’m a newbie to RC so please feel free to discount anything I say.

Why bother arguing what the instruction book "recommended" engines are, I bet they are only recommended by GP because Hobbico is the distributor.

Use the appropriate size engine of any brand you like. I have heard good things about ZDZ40 and various Taurus gassers and have been warned against the BME44 due to vibration issues. IIRC Desert is coming out with the DA50 soon so it might be another choice.

Personally I am already sick of cleaning up the glow goop every day on my .40 size plane so I plan on using a gasser in my first large airplane later this year.

Filip
Old 02-07-2002, 03:31 AM
Electropiep
My Feedback: (51)

Default PITTS

I have been thinking about one of these since the adds came out. I have a thing for bi-planes, I have a 1/4 Ultimate and a
1/3 Flybaby Bi-plane.
I'm sure the Pitts is right up my alley and the way you guys are talking it must be massive.
However, I will be mounting a G-62 on mine for that extra kick.
Thanks,
Electropiep
Old 02-07-2002, 03:42 PM
ROGER RUSSELL

Default ADDING UNWANTED WEIGHT??

If we use the ZDZ, Saito, OS powerplants and have to add nose weight to get her to balance, would any performance be lost or added just by using a US 41 or even a G38, G45 and adding no nose weight? US 41's are cheap, I guesse you get what you pay for, but I just hate adding lead. Cost might be my determining factor, and no nose weight.
Please help my decision, maybe I can take some of the tax return $ before the wife gets it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.