Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Gp Pitts I Got One--see The Pics

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Gp Pitts I Got One--see The Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 04:19 PM
w0mbat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gp Pitts I Got One--see The Pics

I have a Byron Christen Eagle with a Zenoah G38. Total weight is 17 lbs and it is very nose heavy with this engine.

I should have used a G45 - the 38 pulls it but not very well.
Old 02-07-2002, 06:05 PM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

Default US41

Hi RORO,

>>US 41's are cheap, I guesse you get what you pay for, but I just hate adding lead. Cost might be my determining factor, and no nose weight.
Please help my decision, maybe I can take some of the tax return $ before the wife gets it?

First, I can almost guarantee you that you won't have to add lead. The plane was designed to work with a glow motor, 2lbs lighter than the light gas engines. Nose heaviness is unlikely to be an issue, even with the light gas engines.

I can certainly understand where you're coming from with the cost issue, but you're definitely getting what you pay for, but if saving that money is the only way you can get your plane flying do it....but, and that's a very big BUT, if you can any way pull off getting one of the high-end engines, DO IT.

There is a huge difference between a US41 and a Taurus 2.6/3.2, ZDZ40, BME 44/50, or Brison 3.2(I'm leaving the 3W-50 out, not because it isn't in the same quality/performance range as these, but it is much heavier). These motors will probably pull a 22X8 prop 1000 to 1500 RPM more than the US. That's HUGE. Also, I can speak from experience that the Taurus', ZDZ40, and BME 50 are much smoother than the US.....then there's the quality issue, again, no contest with any of these motors....and of course the weight thing.

Let me see, rough, heavy, low-power, low quality = $200 savings. Like I said, do whatever you can to get one of the other motors...and if price is the driving factor, like it sounds like it is, buy the ZDZ40, you won't be sorry. (If you haven't noticed from my other posts, if price isn't the driving factor, my strong opinion is that the Taurus is the clear winner.)

Good luck with your decision.

Bill
Old 02-07-2002, 08:23 PM
AJF 2

One thing I have noticed is that with the light glow engines there is a lot of room for weight distribution. It was noted in an earlier post that with the OS 1.6 the servo was mounted right behind the firewall under the cowl. That is weight that can be moved way back in the fuse is you a heavier engine. Also there is a lot of movement for the battery (or batteries) in the fuse--also a lot of room to move a smoke system around in there. I am a firm believer that GP recommends the US 41 only because that is the engine they sell and not because it is the right gas powered match.
Old 02-07-2002, 08:37 PM
planelazy

Had a Byron with G62.You had to watch you didn't pull the wing's off,throttle management definately.Just got the G.P. and it is a little larger span than Byron if the plane can take the stress. Tim.
Old 02-07-2002, 09:30 PM
magnum

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tim,

I just put the dibs on one of these planes. May even have it here tomorrow. There is a G-62 at the local HS I can grab and slap in this thing if I can, for a good deal on both the plane and G62.

Hate to get it if it will be to heavy. I don't fly full bore anyway, except for takeoff and vertical
Old 02-07-2002, 09:36 PM
OUTCAST

Nice plane!!!! I agree with bpryor, I'd stuff a Brison 3.2 under that monster cowl, swing a 22-8 and go have some fun. The Brison in my laser 2000 makes 26 lbs of static thrust it should produce some unbeliveable verticle in this.
Old 02-07-2002, 09:46 PM
bpryor

Default G-62

magnum,

I strongly recommend not using a G-62 in this plane. I know the price is tempting, but it weighs almost 2 pounds more than the 40-50 size engines I suggested, and doesn't produce any more power than the 50's. You're going to raise the wing loading and power/weight ratio, resulting in far less than the stellar performance you would have with one of the 50's....and I'm not just talking about vertical, the wing loading will be very important to this plane's all-around performance.

Bill
Old 02-07-2002, 09:52 PM
pmetzger

Can you take a Picture of the under-side of wings and tail sections please? Thanks.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:14 PM
stalspin-delete

Default Byron Pitts/Eagle

There were some questions on specs. this is FYI out of the book
Byron Pitts and eagle
w/s 68" lth 62" propo wt 15-17lbs
sugg.pwr ST2500,3000 Saito 270, Q-42
I had an eagle with a G-38 in which I thought marginal, woke it up with a Q52. Mine came in at 19# finished in Econocote with full decal kit. Great flyer.
I still have a new one in the box along with a Byron V-35 Bonanza new inbox and a Glasair RG also NIB.
plan on keeping the Glasair but if anyone is interested in the other two contact me privately.
Have to reduce liability and this is one place to start. Have other stuff as well.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:18 PM
magnum

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bpryor,
Bummer, I knew someone would suggest against it. I had an engineer run the numbers at work also. He suggested not to due to the weight factor also.

Oh well back to hunting
Old 02-08-2002, 12:01 AM
alsez
My Feedback: (10)

I have my GP Pittts just about ready for the weekend. G38 with RC Ignition. Weight is going to be under 15#. Have you noticed that the entire plane is sprayed with clear? I guess to keep all the trimming from getting fuel soaked. No tail servos as I put them in the fuslage up front. Used plywood recessed in all the surfaces for the horns and attached the center cabane with blind nuts. Installed upper wing servos then decided to remove them and drive the upper ailerons with a tube from the bottom aileron. I had the byron Pitts for several years, same size, and enjoyed it very much. This should be even better except for the G38 as I believe the BME 44 would be the way to go. Gets harder to build anymore with all these nice kits coming out.
Old 02-08-2002, 01:47 AM
ROGER RUSSELL
My Feedback: (12)

Default Keep us POSTED

alsez
Like everyone else in this thread, we are all interested in performance with G38 etc....and anyother do's and don'ts with this plane. Pics if any of finished plane?
Thanks
RO
Old 02-08-2002, 02:10 AM
springcreek
My Feedback: (3)

I gotta have one! Used to think I just wanted one till now. WOW! I like the Brison 3.2 Engine choice. Let us know how it flies. Hmmm, tax refund!!!
Old 02-08-2002, 02:38 AM
Jim D
My Feedback: (8)

Default Engine

I'd be tempted to try a Moki 2.1 also.
Old 02-08-2002, 12:45 PM
George in TX

Default Jim D.

I was thinking the same thing (Moki 2.1) since I have one NIB sitting in the closet. With the right lumber on the front, vertical performance ought to be out-of-sight (no pun intended).

I imagine with the added weight of the Moki 2.1 the rudder and elevator servos would have to go in the rear and even the large SUB-C 1700mah battery pack would have to be at or slightly aft of the CG.
Old 02-08-2002, 01:54 PM
AJF 2

For PMETZGER--I was going to take a pic of the bottom wings but had a problem-- The bottom of the top wing is solid red and the bottom wing is solid red with 3 white diamonds on each wing half--just like the rudder. The elevator bottom is the same as the top.
Old 02-08-2002, 04:57 PM
Treeseeker
My Feedback: (19)

Default Byron Pitts

The w.s. on the Byron is 68" and the weight is 16-18 lbs, but most guys would glass them and with the book saying 18lbs glassed, they would still come out 20-22 lbs. I think the G-62 is to much for the Byron. I have the Byron Christen Eagle and thinking of the F.P.E 3.2. Also have the Pilot 1/3 scale Eagle I might sell to buy the GP Pitts.
Old 02-08-2002, 10:59 PM
jpflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Default G-62 too much?

I had a glassed Byron's Christen Eagle with a G-62 on C&H ignition and smoke. It weighed 22 pounds and flew great. It would do all the scale acro stuff (not 3D) and really great with the smoke on. The g-62 was the perfect choice. I'm sure I wouldn't of been happy with less power. I also had one econokoted with a g-38 that came in at 15 pounds. It was okay, but dinged easily.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:27 PM
Jonboy-RCU

Default I have one too

Hey fellas,
Do you guys think a zdz 60 is way to much beef for this plane? I fly up here in Denver Colorado where the air is very thin. We almost always go up a size in power than what is recommended because of the altitude. It's amazing how the altitude will effect the performance of a plane and engine. I would be just a little bit worried about the weight and of course use some nice throttle managment. I would appreciate any input. Thanks
Jonboy
Old 02-09-2002, 12:44 AM
bpryor

Default ZDZ60

Hi Jonboy,

Normally I'd say, yes, that's way overkill....but, at that altitude it might be just the ticket. Dick Hanson is up there too and is an expert with ZDZ's. He's the one you need to ask. He's online here, but the best bet is probably to write him directly. His e-mail is: [email protected]

Bill
Old 02-09-2002, 07:33 PM
Jonboy-RCU

Default Thanks Bill

Hey Bill,
I really appreciate the input. I will go ahead and contact Dick Hanson to see what he thinks. I am flying a 17 pound Midwest Extra 300xs right now with a ZDZ 80 in it. I've had to beef up the airframe in a few places for that power but with proper throttle management it flies beautifully. It will pull straight up out of a hover no problem. These ZDZ engines seem to run very nice and have plenty of power. Been very happy with it. At this altitude it's hard to gauge at times what the proper power would be for an airframe. Anyway I just hope the GP pitts airframe can handle that power. I plan on stripping the covering off mine and lightly beefing it up in a few spots and recovering in a differant trim scheme. Although the ZDZ 60 is a rather light engine, I don't know what kind of effect it will have on the flight performance. I would imagine it would add a pound or two of extra weight to the plane. Any other input on the matter is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jon
Old 02-10-2002, 03:46 AM
springcreek

Got the Purchase Order signed by the boss. (Giving up attending the IMAC JR Challenge in Venice, FL. while visiting relatives in the Pensacola area. Using the money we will be saving on hotel and rental car. Not a bad sacrafice!) Put one on order. Hope to have it by the end of Feb. and flying by our club's Spring Fly-in on April 13-14. Looking real hard at the Brison 3.2. Gotta sell some other stuff, first.
Old 02-10-2002, 10:31 PM
springcreek

Default Engine for GP Pitts

bpryor, you have piqued my interest in the Taurus 3.2. I am anxiously awaiting a response to them requesting price and specs. I have no experience in gassers yet and I am relying heavily on the vast experience of those of you who do. Thank you for all your input.
Old 02-11-2002, 02:28 AM
cappy1

I had a ST 3000 on my Byrons Pitts flew just fine. Used the ST 3k`s on my CAP 21`s too. had five of them, faster and lighter than a G38
Old 02-11-2002, 03:19 AM
cappy1

anyone have a website for fox engines?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.